• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ted Cruz will debate Bernie Sanders on Obamacare next Tuesday on CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Political discourse is dead. This is a CNN ratings sham event which will get us nowhere. I'd say let Trump debate it but he would just repeat how it's a disaster and he will replace it with something wonderful for 2 hours and win the peanut gallery.
Watch Bernie decisively win over Cruz (i know that's not guaranteed) and then rub in in Trump's face until he agrees to a debate too. You think he's gonna care if his staff tell him he shouldn't?

Zaventem

Revisionist history. Off topic supported Bernie, Poligaf supported Hillary.

Things YASSS Hillary stans say. You would think they would go hide in a hole by now with how consistently wrong they are. And regarding obamacare, Hillary's own husband called it the craziest thing in the world, giving trump another point of attack while she was running for president lol Can you imagine that? rattling off going against your own party and wife.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Things YASSS Hillary stans say. You would think they would go hide in a hole by now with how consistently wrong they are. And regarding obamacare, Hillary's own husband called it the craziest thing in the world, giving trump another point of attack while she was running for president lol Can you imagine that? rattling off going against your own party and wife.

Wow this post sure is productive.

Bleepey

Bernie will get embarrassed. Ted Cruz is a scummy piece of shit, but he's a Princeton educated veteran debate champion. Bernie got schlonged by Hillary and misplaces finger wagging with aggression.

And before you guys jump on me and tell me Trump crushed Cruz, remember, Trump had the advantage of having multiple opponents to divide the focus and just yelled incoherently whenever he spoke. There's no strategy against that.

This debate is going to be a disaster for Obamacare's PR since both debaters don't even like it, and the one that wants it gone actually knows how to debate.

You say that, but this will force Ted Cruz and the Republicans to repeating stress they are against Obamacare. They will own this.

Tarydax

Banned

BrutishMrFish isn't wrong. Like I said before, if Bernie were as hated as so many people want to pretend he is, he would have been crushed in that poll. People like me turned on him over time because he and his campaign kept fucking up. Plain and simple. In my case, it didn't help that he wasn't a good debater and he kept retreating to his stump speech.

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only ex-supporter who doesn't have some kind of complex about his loss.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
screen_shot_2017_01_31_at_10_30_48_pm_0.png

I don't usually watch UFC, but this one time I'll make an exception.

cheezcake

For me it was the second time he walked off the stage with BLM.

I don't know much about the other time but I'm not gonna hold Seattle that strongly against him.

Seconds after Sanders took the stage, a dozen protesters from the city's Black Lives Matter chapter jumped barricades around the stage and grabbed the microphone from the senator. Holding a banner that said "Smash Racism," two of the protesters -- Marissa Janae Johnson and Mara Jacqeline Willaford, the co-founders of the chapter -- began to address the crowd.

"My name is Marissa Janae Johnson, co-founder of Black Lives Matter Seattle," she said to sustained boos for an audience that had waited an hour and a half to hear Sanders. "I was going to tell Bernie how racist this city is, filled with its progressives, but you already did it for me, thank you.

Johnson and Willaford demanded -- and eventually won -- a four-and-a-half-minute-long moment of silence in honor of Michael Brown, the unarmed black teenager who was killed by an officer in Ferguson, Missouri, a year ago on Sunday.
Sanders stood just feet away off stage, chatting with his wife, Jane, and the three aides that came to Seattle with him. Sanders' aides said the senator had no plans of leaving during the protests, but once Johnson did not appear willing to give up the mic after the moment of silence, organizers effectively shut down the event.

Afterward, Marissa Janae Johnson, who identified herself as a leader of the Black Lives Matter chapter in Seattle, asked the crowd to ”join us now in holding Bernie Sanders accountable for his actions." She motioned for Sanders to join her at the microphone.

I mean after jumping the barrier, grabbing the mic from him, calling him and all of his supporters racist, asked for a 4 and a half minute silence (which is a really nice tribute I wish happened naturally) which Sanders and the crowd joined in, then after a couple minutes of conversation they decided to shut down the event because it didn't look like the BLM members were willing to give up the microphone. Him just walking off the stage cause BLM showed up isn't an accurate depiction of what happened.

And essentially hand the election to the Republicans? He'll cut into the Democratic Party's base in the General if he runs as an Independent. He'll have no choice but to run as a Democrat. Run against a minority-friendly candidate like Hillary (without the "scandals" and stuff), he'll lose again for sure.

I'd place a bet that if Hillary ran again, she will most likely win over Bernie again, though maybe by a smaller margin. (Hope she doesn't run again, but IF)
What Democratic party base

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
You say that, but this will force Ted Cruz and the Republicans to repeating stress they are against Obamacare. They will own this.
Guys. Seriously. Nobody is ever gonna "own" anything ever again unless it happens like a week before their reelection.

People don't give a shit. Stop reading textbooks and listening to pundits. God is dead. Facts don't matter.

y2dvd

Wait, wait, wait. I need receipts. Where is it on record that Bernie said he was against the ACA? cause all I can find is he wants to take it a step further and make it universal, which is totally different than being against the ACA.

I don't know much about the other time but I'm not gonna hold Seattle that strongly against him.

I mean after jumping the barrier, grabbing the mic from him, calling him and all of his supporters racist, asked for a 4 and a half minute silence (which is a really nice tribute I wish happened naturally) which Sanders and the crowd joined in, then after a couple minutes of conversation they decided to shut down the event because it didn't look like the BLM members were willing to give up the microphone. Him just walking off the stage cause BLM showed up isn't an accurate depiction of what happened.
Oh man, if this true that's fucking hilarious.

Like this debate.

Because nothing is going to achieved.

BLM is dead.
ACA is dead.
Trump won.

Fuck.

Booker must not run. Dems won't attack him over his record or corruption, and he has a chance getting through. Cuomo would be beaten easily by Biden. But I don't think any of them are the right person for 2020. Maybe Biden, but it's still too far. Not Cuomo or Booker.

With the reasoning that the candidate seen to be the opposite of the sitting president usually gets the nomination (for instance, Trump was the antithesis of Obama: he's a loud, crude, anti-intellectual white guy who followed an intelligent, educated, oratorically gifted black guy) I would say that Trump will almost certainly face off against a woman in 2020 because he is most well-defined by his misogyny and unwavering embrace of traditional masculinity. The women's march is an early sign of things to come, I think.

With that in mind, Kristen Gillibrand has positioned herself nicely by uniformly opposing Trump's cabinet so far. Kamala Harris also has a good deal of star power, and Tammy Duckworth would be tricky for Trump to effectively attack which is really his only strength as far as debating goes. I suspect one of those three will run and get the nomination. Michelle would win in a landslide but she seems to have no genuine interest in running. I'd love for Trump to be one-termed by another Obama though.

mjontrix

People say Cruz is a great debater. Fool lost to TRUMP. TRUMP. Of all people he could lose against, he lost to him. Hillary was able to beat Trump in a debate.

He made just one mistake with the New York values and he was done. That's the point he lost New York, and the nomination.

Simplet

So they picked two currently irrelevant politicians at the fringe of their respective parties, just to ensure that they get a shouting match and not an actual debate? Great.

Looks like entertainment-politics are going to be a thing for a while in the US, with all the damage that goes with it.

Saying this as if the dems didn't get more votes than the republicans in the last election....

Also great lets re-litigate the primary again, gg guys I'm sure you will come up with something new. Move the fuck on.

No, Clinton got more votes. And lost. Democrats as a whole underperformed her, and underperformed in general.

The democratic party base is disparate and fluid, now more than ever. There is no "base." That is the mistake Clinton made - she counted on Obama's votes, when people were specifically voting against eight years of Obama.

Sanders wouldn't be pulling from the base, he would be pulling from the left. That's increasingly not the Democratic base. Same result, Trump re-election, but it's pretty important to accurately label why.

Siegcram

Because political discourse is a good thing?
When done by relevant politicians, or people with something to say, sure.

Problem is, I'm seeing Bernie and Cruz on that boxing promotion, who don't qualify in either category.

And to top it off, their topic is a law the current administration has vowed to completely dismantle.

KRod-57

Banned
Wait, wait, wait. I need receipts. Where is it on record that Bernie said he was against the ACA? cause all I can find is he wants to take it a step further and make it universal, which is totally different than being against the ACA.

He helped write the ACA, but the "step further" he was looking to take was single payer healthcare, which is what Canada and the UK have. In other words, he wanted to replace the system which mandates people to buy private insurance with socialized healthcare... which isn't a bad idea considering it is considerably cheaper and has always maintained a private option, but it's a completely different system from the ACA. One is private, the other is public

Tom_Cody

Seems like Cruz and Sanders will agree that Obamacare is bad, but somehow end up supporting the same/similar policy - giving Trump the support of Bernie's people and more importantly extra votes in the Senate and House to pass policy to replace Obamacare with single payer healthcare or something along those lines.

Without some Democrat support he can't get it though without having to compromise within the Republican Party due to Lobbyists.

Ted Cruz did not just suddenly decide to debate Sanders this has Trump written all over it.

Then reward Cruz with being the next nomination to the Supreme Court after the next justice steps down or dies. This will ensure that people know that if you do whatever Trump says you'll be rewarded, and if you don't you'll be punished. This fends off any impeachment threats from within the Party.
I think you're reading way too much into this. This is just a TV show. It probably won't even be too highly rated.

Sanders is going to make a full throated defense of government run healthcare (in a broad sense, not just the ACA), and Cruz is going to going to make a public defense for the likely repeal of the ACA by Trump. They'll please both of their bases, and then everyone will go about their business the next day.

How is Cruz a good debater? I would imagine to be a good debater you ideas would need to be somewhat decent, but Cruz's ideas are plain irrational and would be laughed off as theocratic garbage by thinking men.
No, I'd say he's a pretty strong debater.
https://youtu.be/fPY_Iw9wvPQ

But this is probably going to be less about zingers and more about each side stating their piece.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think Bernie just really likes to debate.

Well... someone has to get out there after the massive shit stain Clinton left. The DNC is in shambles after great efforts of Clinton, Emanuel, and DWS. There is no one visible and the majority have tuck tail and ran already.

This thread alone is enough to show liberals and the purity test will be the death of the party once again, because he doesn't agree with ACA fully, but at the same time still voted and supported it. But of course, having no one do shit is better I guess. It would be better if they had some the newer Senators or other members, and start making a candidate visible. But you need to start somewhere and at the very least, the states they need to protect the most now are the rustbelt ones, where Sanders did pretty well in since a lot of positions are up for reelection there. And if the losses with Clinton is any expectation... it's going to be a bloodbath.

royalan

I won't argue that Sanders' platform was insufficient on racial justice, especially early on, but I think you're being disingenuous here. Sanders acknowledged the concerns of those protesters and changed his campaign accordingly. Hillary responded to Black Lives Matter much more flippantly, and didn't budge an inch on policy proposals.

The fuck with this revisionist history?

Bernie didn't have a racial justice platform on his site until AFTER and BECAUSE of BLM storming his stage twice. And his platform was as cut and paste as it can get.

You can't point to that ONE incident and say Hillary responded flippantly when she actually had a racial justice platform that existed in her policy papers and that she actually campaigned on.

EDIT: I mean the proof is in the pudding. One of these candidates got the vast majority of black support. Unless...you want to argue that black people didn't know what's best for them,

Well... someone has to get out there after the massive shit stain Clinton left. The DNC is in shambles after great efforts of Clinton, Emanuel, and DWS. There is no one visible and the majority have tuck tail and ran already.

This thread alone is enough to show liberals and the purity test will be the death of the party once again, because he doesn't agree with ACA fully, but at the same time still voted and supported it. But of course, having no one do shit is better I guess. It would be better if they had some the newer Senators or other members, and start making a candidate visible. But you need to start somewhere and at the very least, the states they need to protect the most now are the rustbelt ones, where Sanders did pretty well in since a lot of positions are up for reelection there. And if the losses with Clinton is any expectation... it's going to be a bloodbath.

Ummm..how about no.

This post is both offensive to Democrats in government and on the ground. If you think Bernie Sanders is the only one doing anything, then you're admitting that you don't pay attention to politics until you see the name "Bernie."

Bernie's debating Ted Cruz on a cable news network. I mean, it's not nothing...but you're crazy if you think this counts as "Only Bernie's fighting the fight."

I think people are framing this wrong. While both candidates are discontent with the ACA, I think they are on clear opposite ends of the spectrum. Sanders complains about the ACA because he wants it to be a stepping stone to UHC. By contrast Ted Cruz complains about it because he considers it a government overreach and apparently hates corporate handouts when Democrats implement them. Bernie is likely going to spend the entire time talking about how disastrous repealing the ACA will be and Cruz is going to dance around the negatives and paint Sanders as an extremist and evoke the boogeyman of socialized medicine.

I expect Sanders to come out of this a bit better because Cruz won't be able to trap someone as stubborn as Sanders, who is he master of staying on message--no matter how one dimensional that message is.

SURGEdude

Bernie,.

Why are you normalizing these shitbags. Feels like an attention seeking initiative that will serve as a distraction from the resistance to Trump himself.

Especially considering Bernie is just going to argue against Obamacare too.

It's a bad move for sure.

But he's out there on more than this.

Hillary, well she showed up at the inauguration. Her efforts to support the party have been weak.

He doesn't.

Just a few posters here who don't know that making better is different than hating on the ACA.

The fuck with this revisionist history?

Bernie didn't have a racial justice platform on his site until AFTER and BECAUSE of BLM storming his stage twice. And his platform was as cut and paste as it can get.

You can't point to that ONE incident and say Hillary responded flippantly when she actually had a racial justice platform that existed in her policy papers and that she actually campaigned on.

EDIT: I mean the proof is in the pudding. One of these candidates got the vast majority of black support. Unless...you want to argue that black people didn't know what's best for them,

I like a lot of things about Bernie and voted for him in the primaries...but this really needs to be said. I wish people would at least bring up him losing the Black vote (aka a huge part of the Southern USA voting block) in the same breath that they talk about DNC meddling shenanigans.

As for the debate, I never knew about Ted Cruz's apparent debate skills. This seems like a circus side-show to the 3 ring that we've had in our faces recently, but I guess it's good to know that at least the CNN producers still have $$$ on their mind.

SURGEdude

I like a lot of things about Bernie and voted for him in the primaries...but this really needs to be said. I wish people would at least bring up him losing the Black vote (aka a huge part of the Southern USA voting block) in the same breath that they talk about DNC meddling shenanigans.

As for the debate, I never knew about Ted Cruz's apparent debate skills. This seems like a circus side-show to the 3 ring that we've had in our faces recently, but I guess it's good to know that at least the CNN producers still have $$$ on their mind.

I agree he relied too much on his accomplishments and not enough on actually campaigning. His whole campaign was mired by him somehow thinking people had spent an hour reading about his accomplishments. Voters don't do that, people have jobs, kids, and shit to handle.

Especially running against a well know person like Sec. Clinton you're gonna have to remind people of what you've done, and who you are. Otherwise you're just the old guy from Vermont.

I think Bernie's sometimes overhyped but absolutely real disconnect with minority communities had a lot to do with bad campaigning. It was huge opening against Clinton and he not only didn't take it, but he made it even worse in some ways.

legacyzero

Banned
I won't argue that Sanders' platform was insufficient on racial justice, especially early on, but I think you're being disingenuous here. Sanders acknowledged the concerns of those protesters and changed his campaign accordingly. Hillary responded to Black Lives Matter much more flippantly, and didn't budge an inch on policy proposals.
Yep. And soooo many heads turned away at that very moment for some odd reason. And when I brought it up, it was always met with the wildest contortions to side step it.

I swear, Mental Gymnastics should be an Olympic sport.

Disingenuous was the prinary theme of this election.

I don't think this is a good idea. I like Bernie and his ideas but I don't think they come across as well in a debate environment, while Cruz spent his time at Princeton debating for fun. It would probably be more worthwhile to do this in a town hall setting, but I get that it wouldn't draw as many viewers.

Edit: Bleh, of course this turns into another 2016 primary thread. Reminder that we have a fascist running the white house with an advisor hell bent on destroying our current way of life, but let's talk more about 2016.

Young PoC overwhelmingly supported Sanders.

#BernieMadeMeWhite: http://www.npr.org/2016/03/28/47216...e-sanders-isnt-just-winning-with-white-people

The Myth of a Monolithic ”Black Vote": http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/clinton-sanders-and-the-myth-of-a-monolithic-black-vote

Huge Split Between Older and Younger Blacks in the Democratic Primary: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...der-younger-blacks-democratic-primary-n580996

One candidate actually listened, the other talked down and told black people to run for something, or had them forcibly removed from their events. There's nothing to revise there. As far as the ACA is concerned, it was a blank check to fucking vultures that provided no guarantee of access to care, instead a guarantee that private health insurance companies would do everything they could to put you in debt for the rest of your life, even if it meant dying within the next year: http://theweek.com/articles/666799/how-american-health-care-kills-people

It was a disastrous policy and after Obamacare premiums went up 20% just before the election, it absolutely sunk Clinton's chances. Single-payer is the only solution.

legacyzero

Banned
Edit: Bleh, of course this turns into another 2016 primary thread. Reminder that we have a fascist running the white house with an advisor hell bent on destroying our current way of life, but let's talk more about 2016.
Yes, let's learn some goddamn lessons and be ready for war in 2018 and 2020 so we can repair all this damage.

-Democrats need to come together on an actual perfect candidate to lead against Trump
-GET THE FUCK OUT AND VOTE.
-Have ACTUAL debate and conversation instead of shutting down, insulting, and demonizing adversaries to your opinion.
-GET THE FUCK OUT AND VOTE
-Get active in spreading the word on valuable voting information locally. ESPECIALLY in 2018. We need a balanced Congress. Don't just let the crotchety old "civic duty" voters have all the fun.
-GET THE FUCK OUT AND VOTE
Hard pass.
Stuff like this.

Lack of concern for the issues. You may not like Bernie- but Cruz is a fucking slimy bastard that needs to be put into place.

Bernie has been active in all the movements happening in the last 12 days.

Where's Hillary?

If we keep meeting the issues with apathy, we will lose again.

Lifeline

Hopefully it'll help some anti obamacare people atleast soften up their stances.

Bernie has to be planning to run in 2020, right?

I bet he'll only run if he can't get someone else to run on his platform. I can see him standing back if Warren runs for example.

Cystm

This is beneath Bernie on every level.

But, to play along with the UFC-style billing: Ted Cruz? That's like Superman going up against Louto Malone.

legacyzero

Banned
ThatsBait.gif

And it's also a straw man. If you blatantly ignore Bernies long history for fighting for civil rights, ESPECIALLY Black civil rights (Which was highlighted REGULARLY and ignored apparently), while Hillary has a questionable history with her comments, "Goldwater girl!", Super predators coming to heel, crime bill, and utter disrespect to BLM, like the poster above highlighted. You might try and call somebody racist for suggesting Bernie is the better candidate for civil rights support. But who's the ACTUAL ignorant one?
This is beneath Bernie on every level.

But, to play along with the UFC-style billing: Ted Cruz? That's like Superman going up against Louto Malone.
Wouldn't say it's beneath him, so much. But I would agree that his opponent is strange. I wanna see Bernie go at Paul Ryan. That makes more sense.

Where's Hillary?

If Hillary was out there speaking publicly you'd be yelling at the top of your lungs that she blew the election, is responsible for the worst loss in presidential history and that she should go back to the rock she was hiding under. Fucking please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom