• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why is it that no commentators or even players/streamers can properly pronounce the word "while".

Before getting Tekken 7, whenever I'd watch a tournament I thought all these people were doing "Wall Standing" moves, and I was trying to google it with no effect.

Wh I le

I

IIIIIIIII

Line_HTX

I saw this on Reddit. What the hell happend...

bGjzZIK.png

I don't think you can trust those WiFi symbols. Because I show up as WiFi despite being wired mid-match, and then as a five bar symbol in the tournament list (among people with a WiFi symbol).

Anyway, am I the only one who hears(sings) this during the menu music:
https://youtu.be/Cwkej79U3ek ?

Perineum

Glad online is fixed. That didn't take long.

I am struggling with Katarina. 99% of the time if I launch I am best to go for her 4444 combo it seems to get 62 damage. I tried practicing a variety of harrier extension things off her various launchers and it is a struggle to break 60.

The one I did get that was doing ok damage, but was inconsistent is if I did her downback 4, forward forward 4, down 2 forward (harrier), 1, 1 1 forward (harrier) 4. This was doing 65 or 69 damage I forget which. She can also do that same loop off of a upforward 4 4 instead of the downback 4.

I wish that downback 4 sweep to start combos was a little faster considering she doesn't output that scary of damage.

SarusGray

I've settled on learning Josie. I just like her movelist and her hair.

Me and my friend just played 4 straight hours online. I'm so glad about the turn around on that PS4 fix. The game just feels great to play. I'm almost tempted to drop £20 on the unknown season pass (I'll probably do it when we know a guest character).

I actually despise her hair and wish she had a long hair option haha. Josie is a great chose, safe high pokes, a safe low poke, great juggle potential and wall combos.

mbpm1

Why is it that no commentators or even players/streamers can properly pronounce the word "while".

Before getting Tekken 7, whenever I'd watch a tournament I thought all these people were doing "Wall Standing" moves, and I was trying to google it with no effect.

Wh I le

I

IIIIIIIII

They're americans

1upsuper

Wh I le

I

IIIIIIIII

Accents.

bleaker

Absolutely cannot win a tournament battle. I just want that last trophy, but either I can't get into a tournament, or the tournament is full of Tekken lifers. I enjoy playing Player and Ranked, but tournament mode still seems janky as fuck on ps4.

Numb

Glad online is fixed. That didn't take long.

I am struggling with Katarina. 99% of the time if I launch I am best to go for her 4444 combo it seems to get 62 damage. I tried practicing a variety of harrier extension things off her various launchers and it is a struggle to break 60.

The one I did get that was doing ok damage, but was inconsistent is if I did her downback 4, forward forward 4, down 2 forward (harrier), 1, 1 1 forward (harrier) 4. This was doing 65 or 69 damage I forget which. She can also do that same loop off of a upforward 4 4 instead of the downback 4.

I wish that downback 4 sweep to start combos was a little faster considering she doesn't output that scary of damage.

69 dmg is pretty good tbh. It's not the harder ones that only give you 3 extra dmg
Here are some. Start with db4 or uf+4,4 doesn't matter

db4,f,f+4,444 harrier 1,ub+4 71 dmg i use this the most when i don't need to wall carry
db4,f,f+4,d+2 harrier 1,444 harrier rage drive 90 dmg needs rage drive tho
db4,f,f+4,444 harrier 1,df+1,1 harrier rage drive 125 dmg. ofc needs rage and wall around the df1,1 part
Same combo with wall but ground break after rage drive you can press 444 for about 135 dmg

not related but Kat is a beast at the wall

She has a command grab that wallsplats
if you do her db3 you get a free up4
a good mid whiff punisher in df2,2 that also wall splats if they get scared of the grab and low and try to duck

Perineum

69 dmg is pretty good tbh. It's not the harder ones that only give you 3 extra dmg
Here are some. Start with db4 or uf+4,4 doesn't matter

db4,f,f+4,444 harrier 1,ub+4 71 dmg i use this the most when i don't need to wall carry
db4,f,f+4,d+2 harrier 1,444 harrier rage drive 90 dmg needs rage drive tho
db4,f,f+4,444 harrier 1,df+1,1 harrier rage drive 125 dmg. ofc needs rage and wall around the df1,1 part
Same combo with wall but ground break after rage drive you can press 444 for about 135 dmg

Thank you for this!

In the mid poke game where we are just feeling each other out, what are your go to pokes? I mean if I block something obviously negative, or side step I go for the launches, but what buttons do you pressure with?

I do a lot of back 1 2, or down 3 4 (I think this is it, the low kick into a follow up kick)

I am curious what her quickest punish is to insure I am getting damage for blocking folks who just hit shit.

I want to stick with her as a character, because she just visually after I customized her looks bad ass. (Female Dante) But I still have a lot of the cast to mess around with before I settle. Still got some Dragunov, Bryan, Hworang, and Shaheen to mess with.

Edit:

Just saw your edit above to mention her command grab. Did I miss this in her inputs? Can you combo into it? What's the input and the damage? (without wall splat)

CSX

To the Bryan player that i perfected 3 rounds in a row with my crappy lars, i apologize for going completely ruthless on you. Just understand that on a 4 bar connection, i can react to snake edge on time :p

alright i finally beat my friend online. i didn't get a trophy though, why?

also in our last match we got a communication error again. i thought this shit wasn't supposed to happen anymore so i'm guessing this is just a rarity?

JTCx

Akuma players can fuck right off. Low combo starter, +block dive kick, fast knockdown sweep which he can loop you over and over, focus attacks, dp and more dp. The list is endless. Fighting this guy is nothing but straight 50/50. I thought i was playing MKX for a second.

/salt

Numb

Thank you for this!

In the mid poke game where we are just feeling each other out, what are your go to pokes? I mean if I block something obviously negative, or side step I go for the launches, but what buttons do you pressure with?

I do a lot of back 1 2, or down 3 4 (I think this is it, the low kick into a follow up kick)

I am curious what her quickest punish is to insure I am getting damage for blocking folks who just hit shit.

I want to stick with her as a character, because she just visually after I customized her looks bad ass. (Female Dante) But I still have a lot of the cast to mess around with before I settle. Still got some Dragunov, Bryan, Hworang, and Shaheen to mess with.

b1 and it's extensions are great pokes not even counting it going into harrier. btw best way to get into harrier stance is from b1
df1 is ofc a universal good poke
Her b3 has some range on it and is pretty fast
Instead of doing 1,2 it's better to just use her 1,1 strings since they have inbuilt mixups
Kat has an amazing punish at 12f. Her 2,2. You should be using this 24/7. On hit it leaves you at +10 and you can either do b4 or df4 to fish for counter hits launchers. They can't do nothing to stop this
Her best low poke is d3. The extensions don't matter unless they don't know about it. full crouch df4 is fantastic. Has long range too and is also animated like her df+3+4. You know the move that can reach half the screen. You condition them with these lows so you can start connecting hopkicks
As i said before df+2,2 is a great whiff punish. there's also the option of df+2,4 which leaves you at +1 on block. pretty good. They both wall splat from a mile

MGrant

The two moves you would use to get frame advantage on block are b+1~f (the crouch dash cancel lets you move early enough to put you at +1, but limits your options), qcf+3+4 (the spinning high kicks out of the crouch dash, high but is +6 on block and wall splats) and df+3 (slow kick that is +4 on block, forces your opponent to crouch on block and is a combo starter on CH). f,f+4 is also worth noting here, as it's a fairly fast standing low that's plus on hit (+4) and not a total trainwreck on block (-12).

As for blockstrings, her strings are rather limited so you need to be able to string together moves as appropriate. 1,2, df+1 and b+1 are your main pokes. If you think you have initiative and are close enough, f,f+4 is good and can lead to BT silliness by holding back after you input the move. You can also do df+3 if you think you have initiative and parlay that into another move with the frame advantage and forced crouch. After a blocked b+1~f your safest options are either CD 3+4 (also plus on block, but high) or CD 2,1 (a homing mid, mid sequence that is safe (!)). You can also try to fish with CD 1 (-12 on block but commonly unpunished as people will respect the delayed follow-up) or get even cuter by doing CD 1, 2, b to cancel the second attack. You can also do FC and WS attacks as well so something like CD, hold d/f and do FC d/f 3 can work to gimmick someone out.

I would also figure out what sequences lead to BT that are either plus (like f,f+4,b on hit) and then get to abuse cheap stuff (like BT 1+2, which is a mid NH launcher that is punishable by a crouch jab and nothing else (unless you're fighting Akuma or Eliza)) or that are minus but can lead to dumb gimmicks due to some dumb ass hitboxes she has on things like BT d+3, BT 4 or d+3+4.

...damn, that ended up being a lot more than I expected. -_-

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to work on incorporating more df+3 in my game, but the spacing is uncomfortable for me and it's so slow. I also need more b+1 and BT game in general. I'm not sure how to incorporate them naturally without feeling like I'm trying to force it. Same with uf+3+4, 3.

I'm also stuck in a combo mentality, when it seems like most higher level matches I'm getting into now are decided by pokes and pressure, with full combos just being kind of a bonus for when your opponent really fucks up. So I'm way too predictable, trying to fish for df+3+4, uf+3, ws2, db+4 (yes I know that's a bad habit) and the like. Which leads to me getting destroyed by people who know how to pressure (Claudio, Dragunov, Bryan).

Woo ranked works. I'm surprised how solid everyone is at the bottom ranks. Everyone is blocking at the right times, using the right pokes, doing real combos.

Apart from one Lucky Chloe player who was 9th kyu with 8 straight losses :( Never blocked once ever and kept trying to throw me. I wanted to friend request him and give advice, but I think he ragequit and will never touch the game again. I hate doing that to potential Tekken fans.

Lucentto

Banned
Pretty sure I am having more fun with this game than any other fighting game I have played in years. I might actually stick with this.

CSX

Matched up with a green rank player that lost 9 in a row. Thought player was gonna be a chump.

Nope knew their shit and i sweated out the win. Learned to not trust the ranked match statistics lol

Mid green ranks

Right when i posted lol

kollapse

Neo Member
What a dope game. Seriously, I am still total trash but I am having a great time learning. With the patch in place, I was able to get in some matches (and surprising actually won a match lol).

I agree this game could have a lot more in-game to bring on newcomers, really a missed opportunity. Thankfully Aris got us covered.

Otherwise, I am loving it. So much fun.

At what rank would people say that people know what they're doing?

I'm currently at expert, but people seem to understand the concept of a counter hit, since I've fought Jin's trying to land the knee that counterhit crumples and Steves that B+1 after jabs. Though some people are still willing to make a hard read on rage arts, which from watching even high level streams, that probably won't be going away, because even a person like Tanukana is damn good at trying to land them. I think the fact that they are super armored and normals are slower than a 2D game, people are really willing to try to bust through pokes in this game.

wagamer

alright i finally beat my friend online. i didn't get a trophy though, why?

also in our last match we got a communication error again. i thought this shit wasn't supposed to happen anymore so i'm guessing this is just a rarity?

I don't think there's a trophy for that? I know I've got platinum and never fought a friend.

Patch seems to have resolved most of the problems for me, I did drop off a tournament once but I think that may have been a general connection error on my end.

b1 and it's extensions are great pokes not even counting it going into harrier. btw best way to get into harrier stance is from b1
df1 is ofc a universal good poke
Her b3 has some range on it and is pretty fast
Instead of doing 1,2 it's better to just use her 1,1 strings since they have inbuilt mixups
Kat has an amazing punish at 12f. Her 2,2. You should be using this 24/7. On hit it leaves you at +10 and you can either do b4 or df4 to fish for counter hits launchers. They can't do nothing to stop this
Her best low poke is d3. The extensions don't matter unless they don't know about it. full crouch df4 is fantastic. Has long range too and is also animated like her df+3+4. You know the move that can reach half the screen. You condition them with these lows so you can start connecting hopkicks
As i said before df+2,2 is a great whiff punish. there's also the option of df+2,4 which leaves you at +1 on block. pretty good. They both wall splat from a mile

yeah. also good ...

d+1. good range, safe on block. on ch you get a free u/b+4

d/f+4. safe, good range, on ch you get a full combo.

Numb

yeah. also good ...

d+1. good range, safe on block. on ch you get a free u/b+4

d/f+4. safe, good range, on ch you get a full combo.

Couldnt find a use for d1. Thx for info
Speaking of things that give you a free ub4 you got uf+3+4. mid and extremely long range also low crushes. only -10
Read that it gives you a combo if only the second hit connects but haven't found out how

I used to love connecting a kangaroo kick into moonsaultslayer (Yoshi) just because and it doesn't seem to work anymore =(.

I've done it twice and I don't know how. Is the timing or character placement that strict now? I've even turned CH on to no avail. (Edit: I just remembered that I thought I noticed I connect when the practice dummy was just standing up and I hit the roo kick)

On another note, I'm loving the ws 2,1 into dragonfly. Been using it from wc d/f+4 and finishing with 2, 2, 4, ff, f+3+4, 2. Not sure how it works in a fight but feels fun in practice.

I came in fully expecting to mainly use Kazumi and now Dragunov is my most played and favorite character. I did start Tag 2 with him, so I guess I should've seen it coming. He's so fun in this game.

Top Bottom