• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

SarusGray

Right now I'm trying to use Josie. I'm not use to feeling helpless once in a combo. I've never really played Tekken online. I've been trying to side step me block mostly.

I think it's blocking and constantly getting into their combos. Seems like everyone I play online are combo masters lol

Thanks for the tips. I have noticed that I've stopped blocking in the middle of a combo or I just don't block on time. I think I need to try to switch it up too and try more safe hits like you said. I can do Josie 10 hit combo occasionally so I think I'm focusing to much on trying to get that off.

Haha I main Josie myself. She has amazing pokes and can punish enemies by sidestepping or poking them relentlessly and connfusing them with her switch stance. I take a lot of my inspiration from this Josie player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny74KMwT4qE

Also utilize this list to learn Josie's most valuable moves. https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

Learn her juggles and which her moves punish the opponents. She's an intermediate character. Katarina is an easy character.

Great resources but it only makes me realize Tekken 7 is in desperate need of an actual tutorial system.

It's kind of nuts there isn't a mode that teaches you how to use crouch or while standing moves from neutral let alone things like Korean Backdashing and EWGFs.

I'm also starting to like Gigas, landing his 1, 2 punish is such a good feeling.

Wow awesome thanks for all the links and advice. I'll check them out. Is there an easier character that I should try out besides Josie?

I think for best easy to use for beginners is Katarina, Eddy Gordo, Paul... those would be off the top of my head.

Josie, I personally feel is intermediate and might be advanced...?

Pompadour

So now that I can finally play online I realize I suck.

What are some good launchers with Steve? What are good combos after said launchers? What are good moves to punish with?

Thanks in advance.

SarusGray

I think for best easy to use for beginners is Katarina, Eddy Gordo, Paul... those would be off the top of my head.

Josie, I personally feel is intermediate and might be advanced...?

Nah Josie is Intermediate. I'd say nina , heihachi are advanced.
So now that I can finally play online I realize I suck.

What are some good launchers with Steve? What are good combos after said launchers? What are good moves to punish with?

Thanks in advance.

take a look at this video with steve vs josie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q0SUOaoyJ0

Here's a juggle video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8TUtoFC-I

Steve is a hard character because he relies a lot on his swishing and swashing and punishing that way

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
CGI demos that don't have to render anything else but straight graphics are of course going to look better. That's really incomparable.

It is comparable when the damn thing is nearly 20 years old. Something that is supposed to showcase potentials visuals of something back then. A lot of things have been surpassed, FFVIII CGI visuals, etc, but not PS2 Jin.

Lobby anyone?

TaterTots

Banned
I'm giving up on using a fightstick. I can't do hell sweeps and such on one, but can on pad some reason. I can't tell you guys how many games I've lost due to input errors.

SarusGray

I'm giving up on using a fightstick. I can't do hell sweeps and such on one, but can on pad some reason. I can't tell you guys how many games I've lost due to input errors.

if you're doing well on pad there's literally no reason to do a fightstick. I mean it does allow more control technically but I gave up on fight stick. my tiny hands prefer the cute ps4 controller.

TaterTots

Banned
if you're doing well on pad there's literally no reason to do a fightstick. I mean it does allow more control technically but I gave up on fight stick. my tiny hands prefer the cute ps4 controller.

I like the way a fightstick feels and the noises lol. Reminded me of my childhood, but in my childhood I was content just button mashing.

wrongway

On the custom music stuff, is there any way create a selection of tracks that just plays at random (other than whole albums)? Or does everything have to be assigned on a stage-by-stage basis?

cordy

Banned
Right now I'm trying to use Josie. I'm not use to feeling helpless once in a combo. I've never really played Tekken online. I've been trying to side step me block mostly.

I think it's blocking and constantly getting into their combos. Seems like everyone I play online are combo masters lol

Thanks for the tips. I have noticed that I've stopped blocking in the middle of a combo or I just don't block on time. I think I need to try to switch it up too and try more safe hits like you said. I can do Josie 10 hit combo occasionally so I think I'm focusing to much on trying to get that off.

Don't worry. Tekken-GAF's got you!

Ferrio

Banned
Nah Josie is Intermediate. I'd say nina , heihachi are advanced.

Naw Josie is one of the easier characters imo. Most of her juggles are easy, her moves are straightforward and she doesn't have some crazy ass tech that you need to master to play her.

I'd recommend Gigas as a good starter character. He's got a strong neutral, a good throw game, his combos aren't too tricky (especially if you don't care about optimisation) and his punishes are pretty simple.

TheBlack12elve

Neo Member
Don't really want to read the whole thread for some insight on this, but is the matchmaking awful? Just bought the game today and I'm either waiting for ages in the warm - up, or finding no one in the match list. Even if I relax my search settings. Either that or "the connection to the other player is lost"

I'm 50mb down, 5 up, NAT open and wired. What's the deal?

SarusGray

Naw Josie is one of the easier characters imo. Most of her juggles are easy, her moves are straightforward and she doesn't have some crazy ass tech that you need to master to play her.

MMMM not easy like Katarina though. Her juggles are easy only if you're doing the basic ones. I try doing the ones that will ensure they either reach the wall or provide me a frame advantage when they're on the floor. She has no juggles (besides CH) off of low moves so you have to rely a lot on pokes and side step to juggle (you really have to be a god at this with her against pros). (Or just punishing by juggling since she has one of the best juggle launchers against failed juggle attempts.)

She's definitely easier than xiaoyu, but she's not easy like Katarina.

The Ending on story mode

I didn't like the way how a Guest character like Akuma comes in and wreck the Mishimas up, it felt way out of place for me

overall the story was average. but it was enjoyable to a degree

How do you do parry? Not sure if it's universal command but I main Kazumi.

d/f will do a low parry for every character. Many also have mid parries, but the move depends on the character -- check the move list. Some have actual reversals like Paul's b+(2+4).

Ferrio

Banned
She's definitely easier than xiaoyu, but she's not easy like Katarina.

If your basis of how difficult a character is Katarina then no one is easy except Kat. First of all a lot what you listed are weaknesses, that doesn't mean the character isn't easy to play. Also the weaknesses you listed are shared among a lot of the cast. Full juggles off of non CH lows is the exception not the rule. Also EVERYONE has to deal with the wall game, knowing your juggles to maximize it isn't a Josie only thing.

TaterTots

Banned
Ending on story mode

I didn't like the way how a Guest character like Akuma comes in and wreck the Mishimas up, it felt way out of place for me

overall the story was average. but it was enjoyable to a degree

I quit story mode after 20 mins. The reporters voice killed it lol.

daripad

Ok thank you for the information we can help. And as you see many here providing great advice.

I'll add my two cents:

Tekken is a game about making the opponant "Whiff" (miss) their attack. And then launching them becuase of their whiff.

As many suggested learn your launchers, and combos. But in addition learn movement. Becuase good movement will keep your character away from many attacks. And good movement allows you to make the other player "Whiff"

Good movement in Tekken is called universal back-dash. You can youtube it lots of information how to do it.

Lastly I grabbed some resources from other GAF'ers for new players. Here are some resources you can look at and it will help you be less frustrated and enjoy this amazing game:

Resources for new players:

Character overviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbewxse8DlI

Top ten points for new players from other fighting games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onfgm7ifwhQ

Tekken neutral space for beginners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCKGGWNFXKw

Video on throw breaking:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149888227

Website(s)
Tekkenzaibatsu . Com
Shoryken . Com
Top 15 moves for each character: https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

How sidestepping works, its a video for Tekken 6 but some of it still applies to Tekken 7.
https://youtu.be/wuLhI7Co8CA

Also youtube "Level up your game" 80%+ of the Tekken 6 stuff will be applicable to T7.
Also youtube Basic to Pro: https://youtu.be/JxSzUSeYtkU

Quoting this post so I watch these once my game arrives.

Can't wait to get my ass kicked on PS4, specially since now it looks like they improved the online there

DKF590

Got up to the Warrior rank in ranked but I've hit a brick wall. Coming from SF I'm used to a pretty gradual progression, but basically everyone above a certain point in this game has insanely better movement than I do. Feels like I just need to hit the lab and focus on mechanics as opposed to just playing more matches.

Any recommendations for a neutral/defensive character? Thinking of starting over with another character and focusing more on the basics.

SarusGray

Got up to the Warrior rank in ranked but I've hit a brick wall. Coming from SF I'm used to a pretty gradual progression, but basically everyone above a certain point in this game has insanely better movement than I do. Feels like I just need to hit the lab and focus on mechanics as opposed to just playing more matches.

Any recommendations for a neutral/defensive character? Thinking of starting over with another character and focusing more on the basics.

Alisa is a great neutral/defensive character. A lot of her moves are safe on block and its hard to punish her poke heavy nature.

my favorite alisa player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQd03CNhco4

Gren

For the first time, I'm considering getting a DS4 for PC. 360 & even the X1 dpads blow. Never got so many empty hops (going for wavedash) in my life. Opponents probably scratching their heads at what I'm doing.

Anyone have success buffering chickens online? I only played one Asuka so far that warranted it, but I couldn't get any in. Probably just me, though.

wrongway

Yikes, there are still so many experienced players in the starting ranks of the ladder. I'm starting to think this was not the night for beer & tekken :D

Just updated PS4.

Last 7 attempts in ranked: Connection lost, or failed to establish. 0/7

Working swell so far.

Also. Player matches get infinite rematch/deathmatch options, but ranked doesn't? Weird.

Arklite

For the first time, I'm considering getting a DS4 for PC. 360 & even the X1 dpads blow. Never got so many empty hops (going for wavedash) in my life.

DS4 is solid. You might also check out the Hori fighting commander. Feels a bit light but has a great D-pad and larger face buttons.

Yeah this thing says I'm using wifi when I'm not, so it doesn't seem to be totally accurate.

wrongway

Just updated PS4.

Working swell so far.

Also. Player matches get infinite rematch/deathmatch options, but ranked doesn't? Weird.

That's frustrating. :( Try rebooting your console and router if you haven't already?

And yeah, it's odd that ranked only gets two games. I'm not sure how they arrived on that. I'd think it should be best of 3 at least, no?

Jaeger

Just updated PS4.

Working swell so far.

Other than people quitting, no issues post patch with me. I'm NA.

cordy

Banned
Tier lists have plagued the minds of newer players. I'm online and I see these Steve Fox players but they don't know the basics of Tekken, they just pick him because they know what a tier list says. Dudes just punching , spinning and getting caught by the simplest stuff. Considering that, they get downed pretty easy. I wish tier lists were never invented tbh. People care more about who's good rather than learning the basics.

SarusGray

Tier lists have plagued the minds of newer players. I'm online and I see these Steve Fox players but they don't know the basics of Tekken, they just pick him because they know what a tier list says. Dudes just punching , spinning and getting cause by the simplest stuff. Considering that, they get downed pretty easy. I wish tier lists were never invented tbh. People care more about who's good rather than learning the basics.

I mained the changs from Tekken and didn't know tier list existed. Used her still. Got bodied in Tekken 4 hard and tekken 5. I shined and had a MOTHATRUCKING FIELD DAY WITH JULIA CHANG in tekken 5 DR. She got nerfed in Tekken 6 but I still ruled the online scene. Then TTT2 happened and she became jaycee and I stopped playing for a while. And now she ain't even here haha. I see Josie is A and Xiaoyu is S but I'm having so much more fun with Josie even though I main xiaoyu.

Menitta

Tier lists have plagued the minds of newer players. I'm online and I see these Steve Fox players but they don't know the basics of Tekken, they just pick him because they know what a tier list says. Considering that, they get down pretty easy. I wish tier lists were never invented tbh. People care more about who's good rather than learning the basics.

Seriously, Fox is high tier? Ugh. Once again I gravitate towards the top tier without knowing it. This happens every time! Happened with Nash, Zero Suit Samus, Millia Rage (Xrd Sign), etc. I never look at tiers. I just pick the character I like the feel of, and when I learn that said character is high tier, I think "oh man, I'm not a tier whore I swear..." and then I feel bad using that character.

remz

Just updated PS4.

Working swell so far.

It's so you can't boost your rank by matching up with a friend/yourself infinitely and throwing to get the free ranking points

Numb

Seriously, Fox is high tier? Ugh. Once again I gravitate towards the top tier without knowing it. This happens every time! Happened with Nash, Zero Suit Samus, Millia Rage (Xrd Sign), etc. I never look at tiers. I just pick the character I like the feel of.

giphy.gif

Yeah this thing says I'm using wifi when I'm not, so it doesn't seem to be totally accurate.

Maybe that thing says who the host of the match is? I had a friend ask me if my mic was on because that's what they thought that was when I was hosting a room on an ethernet cable, and a couple rooms I've been in the host has always had that icon next to their name.

Won my first tournament on PS4 with Miguel. GF was against a Law player who didn't know that Dragon's Tail was launch punishable, so that was good practice for that. The tournaments are actually more addicting than I thought they would be. Definitely something I could see myself using consistently if the connections hold up.

Line_HTX

STOP worrying about tier lists like it's the first thing when playing the game and just learn the game. EVERY character is viable and all you need to do is learn the fundamentals.

Tier lists are full of fucking cancer.

wrongway

Tier lists have plagued the minds of newer players. I'm online and I see these Steve Fox players but they don't know the basics of Tekken, they just pick him because they know what a tier list says. Dudes just punching , spinning and getting caught by the simplest stuff. Considering that, they get downed pretty easy. I wish tier lists were never invented tbh. People care more about who's good rather than learning the basics.

I feel like 'tier list' type of stuff is fine for certain things that are heavily quantifiable. Like item data or skill builds in an RPG, and to a fair extent weapon data in a shooter. But for something as intensely skill-based as a fighting game? It seems like tier lists are something that only like the top 5% of the playerbase should even think about. The rest of us shmucks should just pick who looks cool or who's fun to play.

but I picked Xiaoyu for my main so I shouldn't talk

FUCK, I have this volcano map music just playing in the background at the post-match screen and it's so good.

Seriously, Fox is high tier? Ugh. Once again I gravitate towards the top tier without knowing it. This happens every time! Happened with Nash, Zero Suit Samus, Millia Rage (Xrd Sign), etc. I never look at tiers. I just pick the character I like the feel of, and when I learn that said character is high tier, I think "oh man, I'm not a tier whore I swear..." and then I feel bad using that character.

He's good. But he's probably one of the hardest to use effectively, like the Mishimas. At least I'm finding that to be the case.

No fast launcher to easily punish dumb stuff and relies on counter hits so you gotta really get in your opponents heads. Anytime I win it feels like I played damn near perfectly...and the execution and hit confirming required for his actual damaging combos? Goddamn. Still having a blast though.

Numb

Tekken has done a good job of making everyone viable.The games being in arcade for years have ironed out any cheap stuff too. You don't have to worry about tier lists or some such.

Nerf Ling tho

Top Bottom