• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Got up to the Warrior rank in ranked but I've hit a brick wall. Coming from SF I'm used to a pretty gradual progression, but basically everyone above a certain point in this game has insanely better movement than I do. Feels like I just need to hit the lab and focus on mechanics as opposed to just playing more matches.

Any recommendations for a neutral/defensive character? Thinking of starting over with another character and focusing more on the basics.

Wise your are, and welcome to the next level. Movement is partly what separates the intermediates to advanced players.

Since movement is universal, mostly that is, so you should be able to use anybody to learn movement.

Learn universal back dash before the advanced chartacter specific stuff like wavedashing.

Skilletor

Tier lists have plagued the minds of newer players. I'm online and I see these Steve Fox players but they don't know the basics of Tekken, they just pick him because they know what a tier list says. Dudes just punching , spinning and getting caught by the simplest stuff. Considering that, they get downed pretty easy. I wish tier lists were never invented tbh. People care more about who's good rather than learning the basics.

Or they're playing him because, he's a dope boxer, he's easy to get strings out and that works against a ton of people online.

Ya'll acting like everybody online is reading tekken zaibatsu, running discord chats, and being a stream monster every weekend.

Cyanity

Banned
Starting to learn safe(ish) moves for my character and proper movement (although I still can't backdash properly with my fightstick :C), and am actually winning the occasional round, but still losing every battle...

Yet I can see myself improving with every hour of practice, and that's an incredibly gratifying feeling. This game is amazing.

Menitta

He's good. But he's probably one of the hardest to use effectively, like the Mishimas. At least I'm finding that to be the case.

No fast launcher to easily punish dumb stuff and relies on counter hits so you gotta really get in your opponents heads. Anytime I win it feels like I played damn near perfectly...and the execution and hit confirming required for his actual damaging combos? Goddamn. Still having a blast though.

Yeah, compared to a lot of the other characters, he's much less straightforward. Figuring out how to effectively use the stance Switches is tough. Still, he's probably the most complex fighting game character I wanna learn with respect to their game.

I definitely know what you mean about when you win as Fox. It's either down to the wire or near perfects. He's a total blast to play as when you know his stuff.

SarusGray

Tekken has done a good job of making everyone viable.The games being in arcade for years have ironed out any cheap stuff too. You don't have to worry about tier lists or some such.
Nerf Ling tho

Ling's weakness = not being able to punish a lot of things, pressure her harder and don't let her pressure you. Tekken 7 is definitely up there in one of the most balanced Tekken games. Tier list doesn't really mean much in the end ever for Tekken. and yeah steve has always been a popular character.

Seriously, Fox is high tier? Ugh. Once again I gravitate towards the top tier without knowing it. This happens every time! Happened with Nash, Zero Suit Samus, Millia Rage (Xrd Sign), etc. I never look at tiers. I just pick the character I like the feel of, and when I learn that said character is high tier, I think "oh man, I'm not a tier whore I swear..." and then I feel bad using that character.

Why does it matter if their top tier or not? If you like the character then use them. Why do you care if a random person you are playing thinks you're a tier whore? I'll be damned if I'm not going to use a character because people might think I'm a tier whore fuck that.

SarusGray

There's nothing to not like about Steve.

his accent is one though.

Seriously, Fox is high tier? Ugh. Once again I gravitate towards the top tier without knowing it. This happens every time! Happened with Nash, Zero Suit Samus, Millia Rage (Xrd Sign), etc. I never look at tiers. I just pick the character I like the feel of, and when I learn that said character is high tier, I think "oh man, I'm not a tier whore I swear..." and then I feel bad using that character.

steve has always been top tier.

Doomshine

So now that I can finally play online I realize I suck.

What are some good launchers with Steve? What are good combos after said launchers? What are good moves to punish with?

Thanks in advance.

I don't really play Steve, but counter hit launchers are where he gets most of his damage, he doesn't have 15f launchers from crouching or standing like most characters. b+1 specifically is a great CH launcher.

Here's a video showing some combos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8TUtoFC-I

Here's an old reddit post about punishers, most of it should still apply to current Steve: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/14rkpy/steve_punishers/

Basically you're not going to launch punish anyone unless it's really really bad block.

Hope that helps, maybe some actual Steve players can give you more tips lol

Arklite

Maybe that thing says who the host of the match is? I had a friend ask me if my mic was on because that's what they thought that was when I was hosting a room on an ethernet cable, and a couple rooms I've been in the host has always had that icon next to their name.

Yeah, possibly. I just had two different player matches where I didn't have that 'wifi' looking symbol in one and did in the other. It's stupid there's no digital manual and the one found online doesn't comment on what those symbols mean.

cordy

Banned
Or they're playing him because, he's a dope boxer, he's easy to get strings out and that works against a ton of people online.

Ya'll acting like everybody online is reading tekken zaibatsu, running discord chats, and being a stream monster every weekend.

I've had 8 ranked matches so far and I've literally seen 6 Steve players. You can't tell me that everyone's picked this guy because he's some "cool boxer who has amazing moves" especially when they can't even hit these moves in an actual match.

When you keep seeing the same characters come up you can't call that "well they just like how he looks and he's awesome", that's silly.

Steve will be top tier until they stop making Tekken. He's that dude.

Started online, won 5 matches, lost 14 (including 9 in a row).
sadben.png

I'm a Devil Jin player. I had to cheese my way through one match with the projectile. How do I git gud? I don't know really any good punishing juggling combos.

Menitta

Why does it matter if their top tier or not? If you like the character then use them. Why do you care if a random person you are playing thinks you're a tier whore? I'll be damned if I'm not going to use a character because people might think I'm a tier whore fuck that.

Oh, by the end of the day, I don't give a fuck. It's moreso the gripe of "this happens every time". Steve Fox is fuckin dope. Not gonna throw that away for some tier list.

Yeah, compared to a lot of the other characters, he's much less straightforward. Figuring out how to effectively use the stance Switches is tough. Still, he's probably the most complex fighting game character I wanna learn with respect to their game.

I definitely know what you mean about when you win as Fox. It's either down to the wire or near perfects. He's a total blast to play as when you know his stuff.

No lies detected. Baiting someone into b+1 CH flicker and then into forward duck and starting a combo is extremely satisfying. Definitely the most complex character i've tried to really get good at in a FG, and probably the most satisfying so far.

Losing can be vexing though especially when I'm working my ass off for one CH into combo anfd other characters are getting some easy ass medium or sweep launcher lol.

Deps

Tried ps4 version online, definitely works for me now. Got 1 dc out of 20 or so matches. Probably still going to stick with The Master Race though, too many bums with wifi playing on ps4.

Skilletor

I've had 8 ranked matches so far and I've literally seen 6 Steve players. You can't tell me that everyone's picked this guy because he's some "cool boxer who has amazing moves" especially when they can't even hit these moves in an actual match.

When you keep seeing the same characters come up you can't call that "well they just like how he looks and he's awesome", that's silly.

Steve will be top tier until they stop making Tekken. He's that dude.

Yeah, I can. Far more likely than people caring about tier lists.

I'm surprised you won matches with his easily punishable projectile rofl.

Also here's the most relevant tier list in Tekken 7.

https://twitter.com/TK_SAINT/status/816417212709748736

He was far enough away that I took my shot. I know it's got a very long start up time, but if you use it infrequently enough you can catch people by surprise. I didn't mean to say I was constantly using it, I meant I backed away like a punk in the final match and used it to seal the victory.

The Kree

Banned
Is there some kind of network manipulation by players going on in tournament mode? I keep getting dumped into losers brackets without even starting the first round, then again after that.

lol you're going to have to teach me. That takes some serious skills haha

It's the good ol 'be so bad they'll never see it coming strategy'

I don't think I'd use it at all if it weren't for the fact that it worked against my friend who is completely brand new to Tekken (I've been a casual player for 20 years). He falls for it every time!

HeelPower

Tier lists have plagued the minds of newer players. I'm online and I see these Steve Fox players but they don't know the basics of Tekken, they just pick him because they know what a tier list says. Dudes just punching , spinning and getting caught by the simplest stuff. Considering that, they get downed pretty easy. I wish tier lists were never invented tbh. People care more about who's good rather than learning the basics.

I really doubt that.

I think people pick Steve because he's one of the coolest characters with some of the smoothest animations.

cordy

Banned
I really doubt that.

I think people pick Steve because he's one of the coolest characters with some of the smoothest animations.

I'm not saying that some Steve players don't like how cool he is and his moves, I know some like him based on that. I'm saying some actually look at a tier list. Same with other fighters where people look at tier lists when they pick characters. If people think people don't look at tier lists in a Tekken game then shit, God bless them. I just highly doubt that especially after people were talking about tier lists in this very thread.

Kumubou

I need Lili blockstrings and frametraps. What's a good place to look up framedata?
The two moves you would use to get frame advantage on block are b+1~f (the crouch dash cancel lets you move early enough to put you at +1, but limits your options), qcf+3+4 (the spinning high kicks out of the crouch dash, high but is +6 on block and wall splats) and df+3 (slow kick that is +4 on block, forces your opponent to crouch on block and is a combo starter on CH). f,f+4 is also worth noting here, as it's a fairly fast standing low that's plus on hit (+4) and not a total trainwreck on block (-12).

As for blockstrings, her strings are rather limited so you need to be able to string together moves as appropriate. 1,2, df+1 and b+1 are your main pokes. If you think you have initiative and are close enough, f,f+4 is good and can lead to BT silliness by holding back after you input the move. You can also do df+3 if you think you have initiative and parlay that into another move with the frame advantage and forced crouch. After a blocked b+1~f your safest options are either CD 3+4 (also plus on block, but high) or CD 2,1 (a homing mid, mid sequence that is safe (!)). You can also try to fish with CD 1 (-12 on block but commonly unpunished as people will respect the delayed follow-up) or get even cuter by doing CD 1, 2, b to cancel the second attack. You can also do FC and WS attacks as well so something like CD, hold d/f and do FC d/f 3 can work to gimmick someone out.

I would also figure out what sequences lead to BT that are either plus (like f,f+4,b on hit) and then get to abuse cheap stuff (like BT 1+2, which is a mid NH launcher that is punishable by a crouch jab and nothing else (unless you're fighting Akuma or Eliza)) or that are minus but can lead to dumb gimmicks due to some dumb ass hitboxes she has on things like BT d+3, BT 4 or d+3+4.

...damn, that ended up being a lot more than I expected. -_-

I wish we could use our custom outfit pictures for the online headshots before matches. I don't really like any of the Xiaoyu illustrations so I'm stuck with the default headshot.

I don't think people are implying that nobody looks at tier list. It's just that they aren't as relevant in the grand scheme of things right now. You'd see more Rogs, Lauras, and Guiles on SFV if every new player followed that shit en masse, but I see more people slumming it up with Ryu and Ken.

Like, some players care, but not everyone.

It's funny cause the two weakest characters according to tiers (Lucky Chloe and Gigas) will fuck up noobs much harder than a low level Kazuya.

When you're playing on a 3 bar connection the tier list goes out the window entirely. Any character with a launching low sweep becomes S+.

I've settled on learning Josie. I just like her movelist and her hair.

Me and my friend just played 4 straight hours online. I'm so glad about the turn around on that PS4 fix. The game just feels great to play. I'm almost tempted to drop £20 on the unknown season pass (I'll probably do it when we know a guest character).

Top Bottom