• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Joey got tournament nerves something fierce & blew it. Joey beat Poongko in 3 straight sets yesterday but made queationable choices today sadly.

AAK

Nobody would have had a chance unless they're a Green Arcade red ranker. Akuma is broken God Tier in the Tekken Tour FR build.

sasuke_91

Good games Sasuke
Tough getting used to solo again
Your friends are good

Good games man. Solo in TTT2 is kind of weird. It just feels wrong :p
Necessary to prepare for T7 though.

Yeah my friends are good. Got to know them through a German forum and became friends with them in real life. Plaing Offline with them is great.

This is a really good Harada/Murray interview from TGS but this last answer from Harada, hmmm:

We’ve been developing this series for so long and sold over 44 million copies worldwide, one thing we’ve learned is how much the Internet lies. They always tell us that Kunimitsu is the most popular character throughout the world, and they tell us we need to put her in the game. They tell us that we need to put in a variety of cultures, races and the characters need to be unique, whatever. But, when you look at the data and see which characters people are playing, it doesn’t match what they are saying. You get the feeling everyone is saying one thing to be politically correct but choosing something else.

Be careful, buddy. Minorities want (good) representation because we so rarely get it. Doesn't mean you'll see great numbers or data from it, but things like this are still appreciated on a social level, and that kinda stuff does matter in the world today. It doesn't always have to be about the numbers despite businesses being all about that, as Harada referenced in this interview.

This is a really good Harada/Murray interview from TGS but this last answer from Harada, hmmm:

Be careful, buddy. Minorities want (good) representation because we so rarely get it. Doesn't mean you'll see great numbers or data from it, but things like this are still appreciated on a social level, and that kinda stuff does matter in the world today. It doesn't always have to be about the numbers despite businesses being all about that, as Harada referenced in this interview.

He's running a business period. Try to justify an extra $20 million in production costs to something that is unlikely to increase your profit margin. Please have some perspective man.

GrayFoxPL

Lol Harada, I wanna see the proof that "internet" told him that: "Kunimitsu is the most popular character throughout the world". What a load of bullcrap.

Damn, Harada you were so badass when you were young.

oGtDI9Q.gif

What happened?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I (well my mom) vacuumed the shit out of my PS3 and I thought Tag2 will work fine now.
Now imagine: Ranked, you lead 2:0, opponent pinned to a wall and you're running with Armor King to finish opp off and during the fff+3 animation PS3 turns itself off!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

7vsIF1a.gif

I have 10% disconnect rate because of this shit! Never had this! Why only Tag2 online does this?! Only this one!

I (well my mom) vacuumed the shit out of my PS3 and I thought Tag2 will work fine now.
Now imagine: Ranked, you lead 2:0, opponent pinned to a wall and you're running with Armor King to finish opp off and during the fff+3 animation PS3 turns itself off!

My fat PS3 died in December 2014. IIRC in the Summer of 2012 was the first time it auto-shutdown, from what I assumed to be overheating. 2013, it happened two more times. 2014, TTT2 (and ONLY TTT2) began to have weird character glitches. Certain custom clothing items would have stretched polygons that could cover the whole screen. That winter, the crashes got more frequent, and the final moments of life I had with it was hearing Siegfried's attacking voice get stretched into oblivion as it finally kicked the bucket. I couldn't save it.

So, enjoy your remaining time.

GrayFoxPL

My fat PS3 died in December 2014. IIRC in the Summer of 2012 was the first time it auto-shutdown, from what I assumed to be overheating. 2013, it happened two more times. 2014, TTT2 (and ONLY TTT2) began to have weird character glitches. Certain custom clothing items would have stretched polygons that could cover the whole screen. That winter, the crashes got more frequent, and the final moments of life I had with it was hearing Siegfried's attacking voice get stretched into oblivion as it finally kicked the bucket. I couldn't save it.

I know I was sure dying PS3 is the problem, but shit just doesn't add up.

I could understand if it happened in other games, like I can murder my PS3 whole day playing other games making the disc drive haul like a jet engine. I was literally trying to make it shut off by itself and nothing, zero problems, no sweat. I turn my ps3 in the morning, 40 minutes of Tag2 online and PS3 suicides mid match.
bldp56L.gif

I'm suspecting some firmware glitch or some shit. It literally looks like some single isolated thing.

sasuke_91

Very dramatic story. I like it.

Yesterday, my 9 year old nephew saw Hwoarang's T7 outfit for the first time. His reaction:
"That's Hwoarang? First, he's a soldier (T4), then he looked whatever and now he's a... pirate?"

I gave him my PS2 with T4 and T5 as well, so he knows what Hwoarang looked like. Pirate is a very accurate description in my opinion^^

GrayFoxPL

Very dramatic story. I like it.

Yesterday, my 9 year old nephew saw Hwoarang's T7 outfit for the first time. His reaction:
"That's Hwoarang? First, he's a soldier (T4), then he looked whatever and now he's a... pirate?"

I gave him my PS2 with T4 and T5 as well, so he knows what Hwoarang looked like. Pirate is a very accurate description in my opinion^^

JOi28wc.gif

Edit: Imo many costumes are over designed. Xiaoyu's nice, Bryan's cool, Drag's ok. Paul's would be too if not for whole asymmetric shit.

AAK

Wow... *rolls eyes*

Namco gonna Namco.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
He's running a business period. Try to justify an extra $20 million in production costs to something that is unlikely to increase your profit margin. Please have some perspective man.

Agreed. Harada has always been and will always be a 'data' guy. While I would love for my favorite character to return to T7, I know there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening due to her low usage in Tag 2 and he doesn't see a profit in adding her. If anything, I respect him more for giving an honest answer instead of dancing around it like other companies would probably do.

Rajang

JOi28wc.gif

Edit: Imo many costumes are over designed. Xiaoyu's nice, Bryan's cool, Drag's ok. Paul's would be too if not for whole asymmetric shit.

Yep, most of them are completely over designed. My favorites are Xiaoyu, Feng, Bryan and Dragunov.

Hwoarang is definitely the worst for me. He looks absolutely ridiculous.

I'm glad the vanilla costumes are still in the game.

Playsage

Just woke up and I'm now in a bad mood reading this.

Goddammit, Harada.

I'll laugh like a mad man if the new characters end up having worse usage percentuage than the discarded originals

Character usage is well and good as a statistic, but they can't tell -why- a character is used so much.

Do people use Bob so much because they think he's great as a character or because he's super strong? Do people not use Zafina because they don't like her design or because she's weak?

I hope they at least consider this properly =/

sasuke_91

Character usage is well and good as a statistic, but they can't tell -why- a character is used so much.

Do people use Bob so much because they think he's great as a character or because he's super strong? Do people not use Zafina because they don't like her design or because she's weak?

I hope they at least consider this properly =/

Exactly. Kunimitsu isn't used a lot because she's not a strong character, not because they nobody likes her aesthetics-wise. If she came back with a 13f launcher, an unseeable low launcher and 15 command throws, nobody would even think about using Bob.

Spuck-uk

Banned

He's got a point about character representation though. All these vocal people saying Anna and Lei HAVE to be in the game, and yet you almost never actually meet, see, hear about anyone who uses these characters.

Also people need to accept that Armour King is actually dead.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Exactly. Kunimitsu isn't used a lot because she's not a strong character, not because they nobody likes her aesthetics-wise. If she came back with a 13f launcher, an unseeable low launcher and 15 command throws, nobody would even think about using Bob.

Is she actually that popular aesthetics wise? I was really surprised when she came back for Tag 2.

OTOH Asuka/Lili are definitely really popular, even with being mid-tier at best.

GrayFoxPL

He's got a point about character representation though. All these vocal people saying Anna and Lei HAVE to be in the game, and yet you almost never actually meet, see, hear about anyone who uses these characters.

Also people need to accept that Armour King is actually dead.

Play online much? After 16 000+ online fights from which 12.600 are random ranked matches I probably have some input on this. Anna is very popular, pretty much Nina's level.
Those characters no one ever plays like Miguel or Wang and Ganryu - I fought shitload of them. Lei is kinda on Yoshimitsu level of popularity, wont see him everywhere but he's there.
Kunimitsu in Tag2 feels like an unfished character, stiff mish mash done in hurry without that polishing process every character needs.
She actually felt more like a real character in Tag1.
Maybe that's why she isn't very popular in Tag2. People can sense sloppy work where there wasn't put much heart or passion. Maybe just budget run out. But Harada shouldn't be surprised about reception of a bonus half-made character.

Put in her as much work as in his beloved Alisa. Then check people's reception.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Play online much? After 16 000+ online fights from which 12.600 are random ranked matches I probably have some input on this. Anna is very popular, pretty much Nina's level.
Those characters no one ever plays like Miguel or Wang and Ganryu - I fought shitload of them. Lei is kinda on Yoshimitsu level of popularity, wont see him everywhere but he's there.
Kunimitsu in Tag2 feels like an unfished character, stiff mish mash done in hurry without that polishing process every character needs.
She actually felt more like a real character in Tag1.
Maybe that's why she isn't very popular in Tag2. People can sense sloppy work where there wasn't put much heart or passion. Maybe just budget run out. But Harada shouldn't be surprised about reception of a bonus half-made character.

Put in her as much work as in his beloved Alisa. Then check people's reception.

I mostly play offline tbh, so you're working with a bigger sample size, but I've never played against an Anna in casuals or tournament, and theres a good amount of Miguels.

Ganryu and Wang are boring, and I hope they never come back.

GrayFoxPL

Damn, It's so hard to find watchable and enjoyable match videos these days. Now to shitty customs they added stupid, nerve wrecking taiko drum sound effects. It's so fucking shit and annoying why would anyone do this to themselves and viewers?
It's a plague. You gotta be lucky to find match without: Bong! Bong! Pat! Pat! Klank Klank!

XeVG20u.gif

But I don't blame the players, I blame ppl who put this shit in the game. It's like the dumbest item ideas get green lit every time in T7. Why?

AAK

Based PC mods to the rescue.

Or maybe Namco would allow a 'No Customs' option in-game.
LOL

Sayah

Based PC mods to the rescue.

Or maybe Namco would allow a 'No Customs' option in-game.
LOL

SOL non-PC players. I would be infuriated having to deal with those Taiko drums. Namco was like "we're already polluting everyones eyes, might as well get their ears too."

AAK

I actually really loved it when Namco had Virtua Fighter levels of detail on its characters. My mind was blown when Namco gave Dragunov even character specific reversals post tackle:

19_by_doom4rus-d8eivmn.gif

20_by_doom4rus-d8eiw08.gif

I wonder if they'll ever go back to that level of detail on future Tekkens. Ever since Tekken 6.0 they stopped bothering with providing characters a command grab that can be broken with a 1 or a 2. And for T7 all of the new characters introduced after Gigas/Josie no longer have unique side-throws. Both Kazumi/Akuma have the same grab animation on both sides.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons I find so many of these newcommers unappealing to play. They don't feel like they got as much care and detail in their movelists compared to when Steve/Raven/Dragunov/etc. had their debuts.

Top Bottom