• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT3|

Sayah

It's a trend all over imo, populists, crazies and morons win elections and gain power everywhere. My own country is no exception. We got Muppet show government. I gotta wait 3 more years for this carnival of stupid to end.

So I was 100% sure Trump's gonna win. World trend.

But I wouldn't give any credibility to what he said in campaign. Once he's in the seat he'll be harmless kitty cat.

Yeah, it really has been an unfortunate world trend. I was also taken aback when India elected Modi into power, hailing from a right wing, Hindu nationalist party. This is truly the state of the world right now.

Reno, Kenji, Weapon X, and Oni-Jin travelled all over America to get this spot without succeeding. My heart goes out to those guys.

Tekken-Tim, Project Runaway, and Renzo winning is pretty unexpected to me.

Lmao pretty much. Getting like 9 chances and losing all of them must be demoralizing and you gotta think, its only gonna be harder next year.

Btw I beat RIP & Runway, lost to Kane & Anakin. If I had just done one thing different vs Kane I could have won. Dissapointed I didn't adapt in time. I got 3rd in the pool so tied for 9th.

Sayah

Wow, I have not been watching Tekken 7 at all in recent months but it's getting 10,000 views on Twitch. Regardless of how I feel about everything behind the launch of Tekken 7, this is really awesome for the game.

Numb

Wow, I have not been watching Tekken 7 at all in recent months but it's getting 10,000 views on Twitch. Regardless of how I feel about everything behind the launch of Tekken 7, this is really awesome for the game.

The streams have been really hype
Slow mo and good commentary

Sayah

lmao - even Tekken devs taking shots at USA election. And then some one in the comments like Trump's gonna be in Tekken with special wall building moves, hahahahaha. This is exactly what I needed to get over my despondence.

Sayah

That was a really well put together event. Cosplayers + really good commentary + really great production values + large cash prize + exciting competition.

Sayah

What kind of announcement did they announce? Release date/character or general announcement of an announcement?

They said they have another unrevealed character to show. Probably will be at globals, I imagine. I'm thinking Julia, Kuma, or Anna.

GrayFoxPL

roE1V91.gif

AAK

Images from the event.

ZTS with that post-match "I beat your ass" staredown:

Rickstah and MYK with their ATPChar moment:

James with the "...Soon" look:

Nothing was announced. I was wrong. Sorry AAK

No need to apologize... Not like I was expecting anything.
But I'll be honest there was a change of heart when Harada/MMurray took the mic

EDIT:

Also, a possible excuse for Anakin, the crowd was hella not in his favor possibly affecting his compusure

GrayFoxPL

Wow, B-unik did another video and this time he outdid himself.

Insanely badass!

Dat music explosion timed with firing up the bike! Those archive karate interludes! I can't!

MoVod23.gif

Even if you don't like Paul, the montage, editing with awesome music is just hype as fuck.

If I'd work at Namco I'd hire this guy to make T7 hype vids. Instantly.

Dereck

Last night, one of the best American Tekken players was defeated pretty convincingly by Mr Naps, another great player who has barely touched the game in over 5 months. We all saw what happened but since I'm me I was more interested in what was going on behind the scenes. I'm sure we've all been following tournaments for awhile now so many of us are aware that Anakin has won at least over 3 tournaments in America not including the first one he won to get the qualifying spot. He's essentially been bullying players over and over, deservedly claiming first place at different tournaments, getting all the way to grand finals and overcoming his opponents with his proverbial Anakin "poker face".

After all of this traveling he's been doing, getting sponsored by Circa, winning these Tekken 7 tournaments, he gets dethroned by someone else who was not even playing the game while he was playing. It was a sad day. I just went and rewatched the matches and it looks like Naps was just practicing taunts. Most of them landed too. It doesn't help also that Jack-7 makes for an easy punching bag.

The reason why my mouth is watering right now is because I'm interested in what makes Naps so much better than someone like Anakin, a really great player. With all that said Naps probably doesn't compare all that well to a top 5 list of Korean players. The mental space between Naps and Anakin can't be all that different can it? What do you guys think?

AAK

There are so many factors at play. One thing, is that Anakin doesn't usually travel to the west coast to compete. He didn't have the home court advantage while the entire crowd was cheering against him. That could have definitely affected him.

But most of all, I believe Mr. Naps plays against Jack, while Anakin plays against Mr. Naps. What I mean by that is Naps is probably devoting all his brain power thinking about Jack the character, his frame data, his move ranges, his tracking abilities, etc. Anakin is devoting all his brain power into trying to understand Mr. Naps's strategy and habits throughout the match. Assuming this is the case, Mr. Naps is just so much better equipped IMO also considering how good Bryan's moveset is against Jack.

It's really interesting looking at their tournament history against one another:

EVO2014, NorthWest Majors 2015(1), NorthWest Majors 2015(2)

There are so many factors at play. One thing, is that Anakin doesn't usually travel to the west coast to compete. He didn't have the home court advantage while the entire crowd was cheering against him. That could have definitely affected him.

But most of all, I believe Mr. Naps plays against Jack, while Anakin plays against Mr. Naps. What I mean by that is Naps is probably devoting all his brain power thinking about Jack the character, his frame data, his move ranges, his tracking abilities, etc. Anakin is devoting all his brain power into trying to understand Mr. Naps's strategy and habits throughout the match. Assuming this is the case, Mr. Naps is just so much better equipped IMO also considering how good Bryan's moveset is against Jack.

It's really interesting looking at their tournament history against one another:

EVO2014, NorthWest Majors 2015(1), NorthWest Majors 2015(2)

I think this more than anything was the core issue in that match beyond Naps outplaying Anakin. Bryan was doing a ton of damage per combo that made it very hard to come back from. Jack on the hand is liable to take more damage anyways on walled stages and his own damage output isn't that good compared to Bryan.

Even watching other matches, jack just doesn't have the explosive damage the MAJORITY of the rest of the cast has, even at the wall.

Also, I'm not liking the rage art nerf either.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Doesn't Korea really rate Naps as well? He definitely looks a step ahead of most other US players. The return to a 1v1 game was never going to hurt him as much as players who came up during TTT2 either.

Was really impressed by PLing, for sure the most improved player.

Doesn't Korea really rate Naps as well? He definitely looks a step ahead of most other US players. The return to a 1v1 game was never going to hurt him as much as players who came up during TTT2 either.

As Aris would say, Naps is truly a student of the game.

PLing and Speedkicks are the only two TTT2 Era players really making waves in Solo Tekken atm but they were already pretty much beyond their peers in TTT2 too though.

Just more evidence for me that there is something fundamentally "off" about TTT2 than its predecessor and the solo Tekken games. Then again, most of the TTT2 era players haven't traveled as much.

Edit: Time for the European Qualifiers

I was as well. I have mixed feelings about P.Ling and the way he plays but at points during the finals it was like he was channeling LingMassacre. He was far more patient on defense than he normally is. Good shit to him.

Rajang

I think Aris mentioned one time that the Korean guys said that Naps and Anakin play 'Korean style'.

AAK

The whole island invitational LingMassacre did for Tekken 6 was brilliant. Trying to reward players who were devoted to the low tier creative characters in Tekken that didn't succumb to Bob/Lars.

Top Bottom