• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

DR2K

Banned
Fastest way to unlock stuff? Someone said ghost battles but I can't figure out the rate at which stuff drops/unlocks. Is it totally random or do you rank or when you beat certain people? I'll get lots of stuff and then long stretches of nothing. Should I switch characters?

Pick the gold highlighted ghosts.

s-bojan

Banned
I'm not a new Tekken player, I'm just not a frequent player. This is flat out nuts. If the ranking works well Ill try a few more times over the next few weeks. As it is I live near NYC and quite obviously we've got people who sleep with FAQs on their heads. When you're past a certain point in your life and you decide to play some chess for a bit of fun, you wouldn't want 90% of your matches to be against Bobby Fischer.

You can still rage quit :).

LowParry

So some things I've learned tonight.

-Xiaoyu/Kuni may not be the perfect pair. Maybe swapping out Xiaoyu for Lili or Leo but eh, something doesn't feel so right.

-Sayah is a fucking beast. The last couple of matches I was trying to see if it's just my connection that's going bad (displaying 0 bar) or I don't know. Either way, the man knows how to fill your jar with super shit salt. However in light of all this, it's exposure to the characters he plays. So meaning I want more time. Even if it means 100 matches of losing.

-Online as a whole has been extremely well. I'm still a bit sad of the missing background animations online but it's the music that keeps me pumped.

-Skin textures are really really strange with my characters in swimsuits. It's like they have really old skin or something. I know it's suppose to be dirt effects and what not but eh. What can ya do.

-I fall for the dumbest shit ever. Example: Kaz 1,2,3,4 move done over and over. My brain goes dumb and I just freeze and lose to it. Time to step my game up because that pisses me off to no end.

All'n all, great game. Great experience. A smile on my face the whole time. I can't wait to play more and more of this gem.

So I hear not all characters get CG endings? It's forgiveable considering the size of the roster, but for a popular character like Lee to (apparently) miss out on one... makes me wonder just how many got shafted.

A little disappointed.

Sayah

So some things I've learned tonight.

-Xiaoyu/Kuni may not be the perfect pair. Maybe swapping out Xiaoyu for Lili or Leo but eh, something doesn't feel so right.

-Sayah is a fucking beast. The last couple of matches I was trying to see if it's just my connection that's going bad (displaying 0 bar) or I don't know. Either way, the man knows how to fill your jar with super shit salt. However in light of all this, it's exposure to the characters he plays. So meaning I want more time. Even if it means 100 matches of losing.

-Online as a whole has been extremely well. I'm still a bit sad of the missing background animations online but it's the music that keeps me pumped.

-Skin textures are really really strange with my characters in swimsuits. It's like they have really old skin or something. I know it's suppose to be dirt effects and what not but eh. What can ya do.

-I fall for the dumbest shit ever. Example: Kaz 1,2,3,4 move done over and over. My brain goes dumb and I just freeze and lose to it. Time to step my game up because that pisses me off to no end.

All'n all, great game. Great experience. A smile on my face the whole time. I can't wait to play more and more of this gem.

The one bar connection was because of the firewall on my router. When I connect to the internet on PS3, it used to give me a download and upload speed before. It no longer is doing that. This, in turn makes my connection a zero bar even though it may be, in actuality, 4 bars or 5 bars. Hope to have this resolved by tomorrow evening.

So I hear not all characters get CG endings? It's forgiveable considering the size of the roster, but for a popular character like Lee to (apparently) miss out on one... makes me wonder just how many got shafted.

A little disappointed.

............Lee has an ending. I think Tiger is the only character missing an ending.

............Lee has an ending. I think Tiger is the only character missing an ending.

A prettyful CG ending, I mean. Saw a post on TZ that said Lee's (and others) are rendered with the game engine. Is this untrue? I'm trying to avoid watching any of them online. ;_;

GeoNeo

I disagree.
How does Namco make the best online net code for a 3D fighter? Are they using rollbacks like ggpo?

Simply amazing.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
How does Namco make the best online net code for a 3D fighter? Are they using rollbacks like ggpo?

Simply amazing.

It's based off the SCV code, but totally customized/geared for TTT2. It's it's own online net code. Not using rollback. Taking advantage of syncing between every round similar to ASW's code... But optimized for their engine, obviously.

I agree. It's great. :)

Hmm, it seems the code EBGames sent me may be for this part of the official TTT2 site.

Still not the promised character/stage/swimsuit DLC. I just want to get my code and start playing. :(

Raonak

Banned
Can't fucking wait... only 12 hours away.

Although Aus/NZ gets it a little bit later, our normal edition is actually a special edition- includes the steel case, chara DLC and shoop stage. no need for preorder or extra monies.

ShopTo will be filling my veins with Tekken tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Is there a place to find the changes for each character? I'm interested specifically in what Baek got and his property changes.

Moofers

About to head to work with just under 5 hours of sleep thanks to Tekken Tag 2. Sweet fancy moses, this game is good! I love it.

And how about that final boss? The stage is so awesome and I love how it transforms. And the boss itself is quite sexy! I mean damn! lol

Can't wait to get back home and play some more. And more. And more. And more!

Sayah

A prettyful CG ending, I mean. Saw a post on TZ that said Lee's (and others) are rendered with the game engine. Is this untrue? I'm trying to avoid watching any of them online. ;_;

Nah. Lee's ending is not rendered with the game engine. It's a prettyful CG ending, lol. There are endings like Christie or Forest Law that have a unique or different style/animation, though. And even those endings aren't bad. On the contrary, they are very creative and unique in their own way and I'm glad they were made the way they were.

I've had mine unlock through Ghost Mode runs. There's also tabs in the customization with hair types that you can't select. Not sure if those are something for future DLC or they unlock.

I managed to unlock the sideburns category after winning one match in team battle. It was probably random though.

MightyKAC

Seeing all the folks on my friends list playing this while I'm still waiting for it in the mail is slow roasting my fucking soul :(

Waiting

Is

AGONY!!!!

Nah. Lee's ending is not rendered with the game engine. It's a prettyful CG ending, lol. There are endings like Christie or Forest Law that have a unique or different style/animation, though. And even those endings aren't bad. On the contrary, they are very creative and unique in their own way and I'm glad they were made the way they were.

Good to hear. I dunno what that guy was talking about then. :/

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
From what's been said, there has been stuttering or something of the sort on the 360 version. But apparently installing the game on the 360 helps fix that problem. PS3 has a mandatory install so that's probably why I haven't experienced anything of the sort on the PS3. In the end, just go with the version you have more friends on.

I posted some brief impressions that seem to have been completely ignored. :(

I double-dipped and find that the 360 version is better. I have the game installed and have encountered no stuttering issues so far. There have been a few brief pauses when achievements get unlocked, however.

I can't pass judgment on the visuals just yet, as I have played the 360 version on a 22" monitor and the PS3 version on a 42" HDTV, but PS3 version seemed to have the trademark jaggies and the image quality takes a major nosedive during win poses (thankfully this is the only time where the IQ just looks awful...and let me stress that it looks BAD).

The biggest difference I have noticed are the load times. 360 (again, installed) loads everything up right away. On PS3, it takes time to load the backgrounds on the menu screens and there is an incredibly-annoying "pause" when loading the outfit selection window or picking a character with any outfit equipped other than their defaults on the character select screen. It's so bad that I have had the timer run out and the game pick the wrong partner when playing online.

To alleviate this, I've set a number of tag teams I generally go for, but even then the game STILL has the pause to load the extra outfits. I hope they patch this and am surprised no one else is mentioning it.

Thanks for the responses! Looks like I'll get it on 360 then.

B00TE

I totally forgot this came out, and picked it up last night. Big mistake it turns out, in that I really needed to sleep last night to be ready for stuff today. But it was so worth it, the game just feels so good. Loving everything about the game, from the nice looking UI, good music and being giddy to seeing dust and stuff stick to characters and such.

Spent most of the night goofing off in Pair Play with a friend of mine (very sad to see that Ghost Battle, survival, etc. has no pair play option) and we had a blast. Took us awhile to figure out that we can tag ourselves in, or how to tag throw and assault but once we did it was nothing but laughter and OH SHIT, DID YOU SEE THAT moments.

I don't know that I'll play online, as I'm god damn terrible (though I do really enjoy it), but are there enough new players for a noob like myself and my friends to jump in and hold our own? (360 version if it matters)

And while I'm maining Jin still, if anyone could spare some tips for Marshall Law I'd be grateful. I really want to pick him up.

Game is SO good but I'm so out of practice. Haven't played Tekken regularly since Tekken 5 vanilla. I really need to get out of the button mashing habit because I'll never be able to throw out consistent combos with my awful timing. Last boss gave me way more trouble than it should have, can't wait to go home today and get into the Fight Lab.

Doomshine

Man, jeff has no idea on how to play with the new tekken system at all.

In Tekken 6 I could sort of undestand because there was no tutorial, but from what I've seen Fight Lab actually shows you the new mechanics + the new sample combos seem better so there's really no excuse this time.

EDIT: Just noticed that he hasn't finished Fight Lab, at least not based on his achievements...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Jeff Gerstmann (GiantBomb) vs Maximilian

Edit: btw. awesome matches, worth the watch.

Max says something really important here, and it's something that's been brought up in the thread before (see junkster's posts from last night), which is that just about EVERYONE online right now is amazingly good. And if you're not a dedicated Tekken player, you will probably get your shit stomped if you venture online right now.

Personally I'm a TERRIBLE Tekken player. It took me 23 goddamn minutes to get through Time Attack earlier. I'm not even going to attempt to go online for a long, long time. Because if I do I'll probably end up selling the game, and I don't want to do that. There's so much to do offline that you shouldn't need to go online anyway. Just play Ghost Battle if you need the "feel" of playing online without having to experience what it's like to get juggled to death without throwing a single punch. :lol

PARANO1A

Loving Kazuya but haven't settled on a backup just yet. Heihachi was good fun with him, though. Hrmm...

Is there anything other than movies and customisations to unlock? I'm vanilla 360 and the character select screen looks oddly uneven... I'm wondering if I've unintentionally unlocked a few characters.

Top Bottom