• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGA have now awarded & signalboosted 2 Trending Gamers associated w/ a hate movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

(Keep in mind that I am focusing on the award show, and *not* the Youtube personalities in question) I know it's just a marketing event and everything, but the Game Awards is watched by many and announced on a lot of main gaming platforms (PSN, Steam, etc.). And with their Trending Gamer award they awarded it to Totalbiscuit back in 2014 (only a couple of months after that hate movement had blown off), who has time and time again proved how bigoted and intolerant he can be.

And now in 2016 they awarded it to someone whose audience is primarily Trump voters, who doesn't think fag is a slur, who preaches unity and working together after Trump, who thinks transgender characters should be written well in order to exist in games, who preaches "both sides", "why can't we love each other?" when confronted with Gaming's version of Trump supporters, misogynists, white supremacists, neonazis, etc.. Namely Boogie2988, who seems to mean well, but doesn't understand that there cannot be two sides between bigotry and tolerance, and that having bigots in your audience without taking a stand is a tacit/neutral approval of such politics. And it's quite ironic that Intel with their financial support of diversity initiatives in tech are associated with the award when it goes to someone who is implcitly okay with people who want to exclude or dominate other groups in video games and society in general.

I don't know who selects the nominees as I think the voting process for this category is mostly dependent on public voting, but I find it worrying that the people involved in the decision-making *and* nomination process, either ignore and thereby implicitly support, or actually agree with the winners. The award will help channel unknowing people who will be exposed to rhetoric espoused by Breitbart and Gamergaters.

I don't want to talk about Totalbiscuit or boogie, as they have proved they won't listen or change their ways, but I do care about a marketing award show who keep on signalboosting personas who can lead unfamiliar people into the propaganda arms of Trump voters, Breitbart, white supremacists, neonazis, etc. Geoff Keighley and whoever is in charge need to do something instead of being silent and closing their eyes on the damaging aspects of their nominees. And that's not speaking of the fact that 4 out of 5 of the Trending Gamers nominees were a blur of white dudes (when you have plenty of examples of other people doing amazing work that deserve recognition).

@Mods: Please accept my apologies and lock this thread if this is not an appropriate topic or a discussion to have.

gngf123

I guess they try to focus on giving it to people who make a good contribution to online videos/discussion about games and keep it as apolitical as possible, but I would prefer these people not be supported. It puts over a bad message.

I'm also pretty sure Boogie was banned from GAF due to comments he made in Gamergate threads, where he supported YouTubers who supported the idea.

I guess they try to focus on giving it to people who make a good contribution to online videos/discussion about games and keep it as apolitical as possible, but I would prefer these people not be supported. It puts over a bad message.

Without getting into the weeds on this, Boogie got banned for other reasons, and those should just lie.

sasliquid

I never thought boogie was pro gamergate, just a little misinformed.

I just think the trending gamer award in general is fucking awful. It's like if the oscars gave out a trending film goer award to YouTube personalities. I get what they're trying to do but it needs to be completely overworked.

fuck tb tho

Mikey Jr.

He preaches unity?

What a fucking monster!

No offense op, but some of those are stretches. Some are legit.

rockx4

Wait, are you tossing "Trump voters, Breitbart, white supremacists, neonazis, etc" all into the same group? Every trump voter?

Nudull

Banned
Holy fuck, and this was the guy people on the TGA thread called the "kindest, most intelligent" YT personality on the nomination list?

Lime

He preaches unity?

What a fucking monster!

No offense op, but some of those are stretches. Some are legit.

It's hard to "unite" oneself with people who want to oppress you. Imagine telling a Black American to unite and come together with a KKK member, or a Muslim with Trump voters, or a feminist with a Gamergater. There can be no unity between someone who despises your existence.

Calling for unity in the face of oppression is just a wish for the absence of conflict, something that MLK wrote pretty well about.

I can't say I agree with your assessment of Boogie. In fact Boogie is the last person I would associate with hate in any way.

"A majority of his fans like Trump" seems like a stupid argument. This should be a factor in whether he's fit to be considered a good fit for the awards? I feel like the majority of your arguments against him being a problematic person to have as a nominee comes down to you thinking "He's not condemning the side I view as evil and that's a problem."

When I look at Boogie I see an older guy (he's in his 40s) with a lot of issues (mainly in the health department) who has no interest in condemning a group of people whether they are left or right. I don't see him as some man who supports Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists or anything crazy like that.

I just can't understand how people are so easy to condemn a person as evil just because they don't side with you completely and want to bring both sides together. I say this as someone who isn't on the right side of politics at all. It just seems screwed up to me and just... toxic.

Totalbiscuit is kind of an asshole though so I can see where you're coming from there. No arguments from me on that front.

Danny was robbed

Kinyou

If someone supports a hate movement they shouldn't be nominated, I agree with that, but disqualifying someone because they preach unity enough seems pretty extreme to me.

Chao

So games are about politics now?

A game doesn't deserve an award because the guy who made is a douche?

Oscars ceremony would look so barren if we did the same for movies

gngf123

So games are about politics now?

A game doesn't deserve an award because the guy who made is a douche?

Oscars ceremony would look so barren if we did the same for movies

This award has nothing to do with any game. It's an award for an online personality.

geminibros

Neo Member
I don't know who selects the nominees as I think the voting process for this category is mostly dependent on public voting, but I find it worrying that the people involved in the decision-making *and* nomination process, either ignore and thereby implicitly support, or actually agree with the winners. The award will help channel unknowing people who will be exposed to rhetoric espoused by Breitbart and Gamergaters.

Speaking as one of the judges, I can tell you this: each judging outlet selects five desired nominees for that category during the initial balloting process, but once the nominees are selected the final vote is in the hands of the public.

DatAhmedz

If someone supports a hate movement they shouldn't be nominated, I agree with that, but disqualifying someone because they preach unity enough seems pretty extreme to me.

This, this and this.

Preaching unity for the sake of having a better future shouldn't be branded as some kind of a Scarlet Letter. It's a ridiculous notion.

madmackem

Having watched boogie for sometime now hate is not a word I'd use in anyway to describe him as a person, hate is something that's tossed his way a lot largely down to his weight. He's had a bad time of it in his life and speaking as someone who has similar issues he has he's brace as fool being in front of a camera and putting himself out there. Op is barking up the wrong tree with boogie imho he's one of the good guys on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom