• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bboy AJ said:
I'm guessing this thing hasn't sold out, huh?
According to Twitter, there are hundreds left. No one should have any problems getting one at an Apple Store and I imagine a selling out is less likely.

Meier

Just got home from the North Michigan Avenue store with a 32 GB version. Plenty available for any Chicago GAFfers.

Bought the Apple case -- guy said he had stocked 3-4,000 cases today.

White Man

OuterWorldVoice said:
Seattle gaf: Can I walk in for a 32 gig WiFi today?

I want to know this, too. Goddamn it, I need to stop failing to preorder things when I know I'll likely want one within hours of launch.

Xater

Ok I am totally out of the loop because I am in Japan. Can someone tell me how manga from a website look on that thing? Are they nice to read?

f@luS

More than a member.
Why woild anyone go with the 3g version. U must have a data plan with ur cellphone which meanq iphone or android or wm based phone allowing wifi sharing...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bboy AJ said:
According to Twitter, there are hundreds left. No one should have any problems getting one at an Apple Store and I imagine a selling out is less likely.

White Man said:
I want to know this, too. Goddamn it, I need to stop failing to preorder things when I know I'll likely want one within hours of launch.

I just called my Apple store, "Do you have any iPad..."

Interrupts: "YES."

"...32 gig..."

Interrupts: "YES."

"...Wifi..."

"YES!"

RSP

SephCast said:
MKbi6l.jpg

arbvCl.jpg

HA!

Very good, you can't imagine how that makes me feel :) Could you do a couple more detail shots on high resolution?

Cheers!

Trouble said:
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but free public domain books in .epub format here.

http://www.epubbooks.com

All of the Gutenberg Project books are already in iBooks. No need to go elsewhere unless it is something really obscure.

mrkgoo said:
Kung fu Jedi: When I plug in the ipod-camera adapter it says it's an unrecognised device. So I guess no go :/

Thanks for trying man. I'll pick up the camera kit in a few weeks time then.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I have a feeling I'm not going to like this answer.. but if I buy a 3G model will it allow me to connect to iTunes for free without paying for the data package?

gkryhewy

Has anyone tried the Stratospherix FileBrowser app? I've been unable to connect to my shared drive (connected to an airport extreme base station), and I've had to re-download the app twice due to a black screen on startup... My first paid app ever; lame.

Just put my iPad into the Apple Case, and it is nice, and very convenient for typing, watching videos. But damn, the device is so nice to look at, I'm not sure I want to keep it in the case all the time. :D

I think I'll use the Apple case when I travel and probably get a sleeve of some kind for normal day to day use.

Getting use to typing already too. Going much faster already. Not seeing any suggestions yet though. Just thought about that...

StoOgE said:
I have a feeling I'm not going to like this answer.. but if I buy a 3G model will it allow me to connect to iTunes for free without paying for the data package?
Yes. It's Wifi + 3g. No contract for 3g so pay each month you want service.

Pachimari

I'm a bit confused.
I am doing some documents in Photoshop which I'm saving as PDF files. Should I just keep them as PDF files and use one of the apps or convert them to ePubs?

I don't have an iPad, so I can't test it out but I need to prepare all the papers for the iPad launch here in Denmark. =/

Konka

Banned
LovingSteam said:

Yeah but I think he's asking if you can use the 3G to access the iTunes store without paying anything like the Kindle.

Meier said:
Just got home from the North Michigan Avenue store with a 32 GB version. Plenty available for any Chicago GAFfers.

Bought the Apple case -- guy said he had stocked 3-4,000 cases today.

Apple case good? I am waiting to buy a case before I hear things about which is best (also the best buy near me had none).

TwIsTeD

Honestly this thing is the first time i felt like i was actually using something completely different and unique, kudos to Steve and the crew for making something that actually feels amazing

MikeE21286 said:
Apple case good? I am waiting to buy a case before I hear things about which is best (also the best buy near me had none).

The case is great for typing and watching videos. Very convenient. It's say it is as good as anything else out there right now.

Meier

So do any of my iPhone apps work on this thing? Or do I need to redownload them for iPad? It wanted to sync all my apps but they don't seem to launch.

TwIsTeD said:
Honestly this thing is the first time i felt like i was actually using something completely different and unique, kudos to Steve and the crew for making something that actually feels amazing

I'm not trying to troll by saying this, but it is really just a big iPhone. You can really do a lot of awesome shit though that no other device can just because it's a giant iPhone.

I'm really glad they went this direction instead of a more mobiley OSX. Everything just feels right.

In short, iPad = Win.

I hope you guys get what I'm saying.

sonofabitch

I just went out to go shopping for a new jacket. Didn't find one, but did come home with a 32GB Wifi with the Apple case.

Fuck me, it was too easy. Just walked in, bought it and walked out.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
NullPointer said:
sonofabitch

I just went out to go shopping for a new jacket. Didn't find one, but did come home with a 32GB Wifi with the Apple case.

Fuck me, it was too easy. Just walked in, bought it and walked out.

it's like drugs

i want your drugs D:

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
LovingSteam said:

Not my question.

If I don't pay for a data plan can I connect to the store to buy stuff for free (like Kindle/Nook)... because I just think I found a reason not to buy this.

Half my want of this thing would be my ability to use it in airports and/or buy a book for my next flight. Most airports charge a small fortune for wifi access. without free 3g access to access their store this doesn't serve my main ebook function... and there is no way in hell I'm paying 30 dollars a month for another data plan with ATT.

Can I tether this thing to a phone?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Picked one up in a moment of weakness. Went to Best Buy and played with one for an hour. I don't need one now, but i believe the apps will come that will make this a must-buy in the coming year. Gaming alone is going to be interesting. Played a little bit of Plants vs Zombies on it and it feels much better than the iPhone version because of the screen size. Posting this from the iPad on the real NeoGAF website.

Konka

Banned
StoOgE said:
Not my question.

If I don't pay for a data plan can I connect to the store to buy stuff for free (like Kindle/Nook)... because I just think I found a reason not to buy this.

Half my want of this thing would be my ability to use it in airports and/or buy a book for my next flight. Most airports charge a small fortune for wifi access. without free 3g access to access their store this doesn't serve my main ebook function... and there is no way in hell I'm paying 30 dollars a month for another data plan with ATT.

If your phone can broadcast wifi thats all you need.

Sobriquet

StoOgE said:
Not my question.

No data plan, no 3G. You can only access via wifi.

There are two plans for 3G, and they can be canceled at any time. $15/month for limited, $30/month for unlimited. If you exceed the limited amount, you can upgrade to the $30 plan.

You can tether if your if your iPhone is jailbroken, or use something like MyWi. Not sure about other phones.

Meier said:
Not having a kid sure helps at times like these.. :D
Yep. I'm single, just got a promotion, and its my birthday on the 16th. Also, as an American the drive to consume is in my genes.

As a web developer though I'm convincing myself that I'm doing it to keep up with tech trends.

Yeah, that's it. I'm doing it for the economy.

hyp

LovingSteam said:
So what were you more impressed with from the first experience- the iPhone or iPad?

definitely the iphone because the technology was so groundbreaking. the "magic" of the ipad is slowly beginning to become apparent the more i use it. don't think i'll be needing my laptop around unless i have video/audio work to do. it's just fun sharing he thing with my family. the daughter loves it.

numble

StoOgE said:
Not my question.

Jailbroken 3G has allowed iPhones to connect to the iTunes store to download apps and stuff, with TMobile, heck even China Mobile SIM cards.

LovingSteam said:
So what were you more impressed with from the first experience- the iPhone or iPad?
I think the iPod is a good evolution of iPhone OS, but iPhone was more like a revolution in smart phone (especially with regard to design philosophy).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seriously tempted to trade in my somewhat redundant 2 Gig Intel Macbook Pro for an iPad.

Wife said I can't have any new gadgets but if I got rid of one PC, she'd let me.

Any gaf takers on this INSANE deal? :)

acksman

Bought mine, come home load it up with my new apps. Show my wife, she was like eh looks ok. I ran an errand came back and now I can't get it back from her, she is taunting me with Netflix and a that great crosswords puzzle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom