• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

acksman said:
It is not seated deep enough then. Keep pushing it in!
steve-carell-as-michael-scott.jpg

Kodiak said:
I've been using this thing on and off all day and it's still at 64%. Amazing.

I've been using it a ton since I got it, barely given it a break, surfing, e-mail, variety of apps, streaming video and audio, browsing the bookstore, iTunes, etc, and I'm still at 60%. Very impressed with the battery so far.

NomarTyme

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've been using it a ton since I got it, barely given it a break, surfing, e-mail, variety of apps, streaming video and audio, browsing the bookstore, iTunes, etc, and I'm still at 60%. Very impressed with the battery so far.
ditto. I was fixated on the battery icon most of the time playing video.

So two questions. First what do people prefer, reading gaf from the regular website or the web app? The other thing is, were's the iPad Facebook app?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
How is actual typing on the iPad? Would it be easy to type, say, an entire essay?

Foob said:
Whoops just kidding man this is just a really elaborate troll
xD

i'm not bent on hating these things anymore but they don't fall into a particular useful spot in my life right now. i just want a macbook pro update ; /

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
kaiwing said:
The comics, kindle app, and pictures pushed me over the top. I got the 16GB version since I don't really need that much space. One question though, if you have a lot of books on the bookcase is there any way to put the books in order? Like putting your favorites on top and first or is it just in newest to oldest order?
Edit button on the top right to hold and drag, like the homescreen icons. No automatic sort, AFAIK.

ravien56

Solideliquid said:
So two questions. First what do people prefer, reading gaf from the regular website or the web app? The other thing is, were's the iPad Facebook app?
This a picture of the facebook app please?

Maximus.

ok I havent picked this thing up, but saw a few youtube vids of it being demoed and wow this thing is pretty slick. I will probably wait for another generation before I pick it up, but I love the idea of using this for surfing around when I dont want to bring my macbook pro or if I wanna lie down with it. Keep posting pics guys this thing is sexy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
ravien56 said:
This a picture of the facebook app please?
There is no official one. There is an unofficial one for $3. That one, however, has reviews which are basically saying "rip off!!!"

Costanza

Banned
K2Valor said:
How is actual typing on the iPad? Would it be easy to type, say, an entire essay?
I'm pleasantly surprised with how fast I can type on this thing.

You can also hook up a bluetooth keyboard or buy the keyboard dock. I plan on selling my netbook.

iPad looks awesome. I'm gonna wait for a price-drop and 2nd gen implementations. I can't justify the price right now, I also just received a netbook too.

antispin said:
I wish :(

There was a free app for that (Google Docs on iPad). Gimme a sec. Will link you.
EDIT: Here's the app I was talking about. Memeo Connect Reader.

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it only allows viewing. I think I would be ok using the normal web client on the iPad if i could figure out how to change the user agent, but i just didn't see the option.

antispin

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Foob said:
if it's like the iphone you just tap that shit

and to the guy that asked - i prefer reading on the web app

Sidenote: what is the web app URL again?

I hope to get an iPad sometime, but don't really have the cash.

Solideliquid said:
The other thing is, were's the iPad Facebook app?

The Facebook iPhone app uses a ton of custom UI work that made lots of assumptions about the dimensions of the device. Actually, the project was open sourced under the name three20: http://github.com/facebook/three20 So there's lots of work to do there.

The other issue is that the lead developer of the iPhone app (Joe Hewitt) decided he wasn't too keen on the App Store system and went back to his roots in web development (http://twitter.com/joehewitt/status/5631765190).

So yeah... still surprising that Facebook doesn't have a nice iPad interface ready for launch, but I suspect they're working on it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
K2Valor said:
Typing is definitely something you get used to...but there is 0% chance that you could comfortably type an entire essay on this.

I'm getting better and better the more I use it, but there's no way I could see myself typing at length with this via the on screen keyboard. Would totally get the keyboard dock or the Bluetooth keyboard that can sync with it.

Totally usable, just not "essay usable" if you know what I mean.

Mik2121

RubxQub said:
Typing is definitely something you get used to...but there is 0% chance that you could comfortably type an entire essay on this.

I'm getting better and better the more I use it, but there's no way I could see myself typing at length with this via the on screen keyboard. Would totally get the keyboard dock or the Bluetooth keyboard that can sync with it.

Totally usable, just not "essay usable" if you know what I mean.
So, good enough to read gaf and reply with average length posts like you would on your computer and not super-short stuff like you usually would on the iPhone, right?.

Ketchup Boy

numble said:
Do you refuse to play console games and portable games and only play PC and Android/Windows Mobile games?

I have a 360, Wii and a Macbook.

Anyways, I just don't like Apple. If they just would admit its a giant iTouch from the start I wouldn't feel so offended...sorry for trying to be a party pooper...you can't even play flash on it...whatever, well, if this thing sells well then hopefully the copies from competitors will be more free...but let me just say Apple is being a dictator. They must control all apps on their device. I champion Google because their Android allows any app. Google's Android iPad-like copies will rule unless Apple opens up more.

Costanza

Banned
Ketchup Boy said:

Anyways, I just don't like Apple. If they just would admit its a giant iTouch from the start I wouldn't feel so offended...sorry for trying to be a party pooper...you can't even play flash on it...whatever, well, if this thing sells well then hopefully the copies from competitors will be more free...but let me just say Apple is being a dictator. They must control all apps on their device. I champion Google because their Android allows any app. Google's Android iPad-like copies will rule unless Apple opens up more.
:lol

Ketchup Boy said:

You don't like Apple but you bought a Macbook... gotcha.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
LovingSteam said:
Its going to be interesting what 4.0 brings to the iPad. I am really curious to see what Apple has up its sleeve.

Me too but damn, did they nail it out of the gate

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Mik2121 said:
So, good enough to read gaf and reply with average length posts like you would on your computer and not super-short stuff like you usually would on the iPhone, right?.
I've typed some killer long posts on my iPhone before, so I wouldn't say that you can't or won't...rather that it'd just be uncomfortable over a long time...or at least I think it would...

The whole hovering over the keyboard instead of resting on it makes it a bit less than desirable, but not undoable.

We're still all in the "learning curve" phase with this keyboard, so who knows! Maybe in a week I'll be bragging how I'm typing close to 80wpm or something. Right now im having a hard time hitting the space bar properly and hitting digits in the outside of the keyboard accurately.

Looking forward to being a master on this thing...typing out long posts like this is good practice!

Ketchup Boy said:

che1.jpg

How fitting.

Bboy AJ

Ketchup Boy said:

It is a giant iPod Touch. But it's still awesome. And I have a Nexus One, an Android phone. It's fantastic but I don't see why I have to choose between Google and Apple. Both methods of being open and being closed have their pros and cons. If one becomes better than another for me, I'll move on just like I did from the iPhone to the Nexus. No big deal.

I started converting a couple of PDFs to ePub with calibre. Thanks to the GAFer who suggested it!

numble

Ketchup Boy said:

You should only play PC games because Microsoft and Nintendo are dictators of their respective systems

Hari Seldon

Question 1: Does the dock connector plug directly in the wall or use usb (or both)? Because if it only uses USB it will be useless for me since my USB ports are not powerful enough to charge the iPod while I'm using it.

Question 2: Is there a setting so that iPhoto doesn't shit up my pics and make them low res when syncing albums to the iPad?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can't believe how much I love this thing so far...sitting with this thing while watching a blu ray makes me feel like Futureman or something :lol

I do have a problem, though, with the safari pages reloading every time you hop out of the app then back into it, or when you switch pages. I hope they do something about that one.

But I KNOW someone out there bought Sam & Max, please let us know what you think...and Geometry Wars too, we need impressions quick!

Ketchup Boy

LovingSteam said:
You don't like Apple but you bought a Macbook... gotcha.

Got it November 2007 when I didn't think they sucked. Macbook's a good product. But Apple & Steve Jobs, they're becoming too big. Same with Google. They're going to be like Microsoft really. Especially, Apple. Too many people use their products. I mean when everybody uses it like moms and stuff, teenagers at least aren't going to think of them the way you do. I predict a new company to come in and be the next hot thing. Makes sense, if history taught us anything, no company can be hot forever. They will fumble. Look at Toyota, they were a giant and now they're a joke.

Remember all that news of iMacs having cracked screens. Thats just the beginning. You'll see! You will all see!

Ketchup Boy said:
Google's Android iPad-like copies will rule unless Apple opens up more.

Uhh, no they won't. Anyone outside of geek circles doesn't even know about Android and doesn't give a shit about 'opening up'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom