• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apple iPad | The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

botkiller

Maxwell House said:
Yeah, I bought the Apple branded case too. It is excellent quality.
I'm really crazy about not wanting to muck up the design of stuff by adding cases and protectors. I bought one and loved it until I realized how difficult it is to get the iPad in and out of it. I returned mine for a neoprene slip cover.

No more stand for me, but at least it looks really pretty when I'm using it. :)

Messi

Seth C said:
The frame is wider than a comic book, but the screen itself is less wide than a comic book. Here are some photos. I grabbed the book at the front of my long box.

comics1.jpg
comics2.jpg

comics3.jpg

Thanks for taking some pics for me. Now I have a point of reference. thumbs up!

This is the dream, ladies and gents:

photo2.png

Gimme this in the ibook store or an app. Scan it at some obnoxiously high dpi. I'll pay whatever they want.

Messi said:
Oh another question. How is the video quality of a regular 350mb mp4 file. Of say a tv show. When it is in full screen. All I have seen is how great 720p stuff looks, but kinda curious how most of my video content would look.

Ok, anything with a 640 horizontal resolution or better looks good to great. Below that resolution you'll start seeing artifacts everywhere. But once you watch one HD video on this thing, you'll want all your videos to look that good. HD video looks so damn sharp it feels like the iPad is trying to pull your eyes out of your head.

Also, Geometry Wars Touch is awesome. The only problem is the bomb button being in the middle of the screen. It's hard to reach and I keep thinking it's an enemy.

Oh and one more thing, the iPad is heaven sent for use guys with large hands. No more cramping claw hands like with the iPhone.

well i just fucked around with one at best buy. my impressions:

really underwhelming to see in person. this is more about the size-- these things aren't as big as i'd dreamed they would be in real life-- but it's only 10 inches. the screens and everything else are about what i expected. pleasantly warm to hold, too

the weight-- not that heavy either. it weighs about what i'd expect a screen that size to weigh, plus the hardware running it. the speakers are nothing to sneeze at but i can see how headphones or external speakers are a necessity

i don't feel like writing very much right now but i'm disappointed that not all apps respond to the 4 directions the screen can rotate in, and there wasn't anything killer about it that made me go 'oooh', although it's definitely up my alley for a luxury toy if i don't have to budget for one. i'm considering maybe getting the family together to buy one as a birthday gift for my mom

i can definitely see where the ipad fits into society, but it's not something i need right now. no flash is a killer for me, and the lack of camera tops that dealbreaker

surprisingly, walking through one of the pre-made keynotes was what most impressed me about the thing

Carlisle

I played with one at Best Buy today. It was fucking glorious. A lot more compact and lighter than I expected. It fit really well in my hands and was very comfy to hold. The screen is simply beautiful. Everything is so quick to load, apps, web browsing, internet. Completely fluid, seamless, intuitive. I loved the "work" apps like Pages and Keynote. It's a really really slick device and anything other than seeing and holding it in person doesn't do it a fraction of the justice it deserves.

I came so close to getting one, but ended up walking away. I just couldn't justify it when it doesn't really bring anything new to the table for me. Already got an iPhone and MBP. It seems like a really solid half step towards a fully-featured tablet PC, but it's not quite there for me yet. Yeah, the wow factor was extremely hard to resist, but once I had it out of sight so I could rationalize better I stopped missing it (you can't do it while it's staring at you... it would be like deciding whether to sleep with a chick while she's banging her boobs into your face)...which is weird because I'm the biggest sucker for new gadgets, especially Apple stuff. I will follow Steve Jobs to the grave.

But yeah.. kudos to all of you who got one. My envy will know no bounds for the next few weeks. I was mainly in the market for an ereader anyway, which was why I was looking at this thing. And the iBook app is the one major feature MBP and iPhone blow at... but I went down the street to Barnes and Noble instead and got a nook for half the price.

Also, the next iPhone comes out in a couple months. Ima save up for that since I skipped over the 3GS :)

see5harp

I wonder if they pulled the graphic novel store to figure out pricing. For some reason they may think that a higher price should be demanded of something that benefits so much more from the great screen (even though graphic novels tend to be priced lower than MSRP on a hardcover). I'm hoping they price these things competitively or use some creativity with subscription models in order to grow the market. I don't think the brick and mortar/longbox types are ready to part with their hardcopies anyways.

Foob

Yo I just wrote a 3 page essay using pages on here. I'm averaging about 100wpm now! I wasn't even thinking about it before I bought this, but the iWork suite is so far turning out to be my three favorite apps.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Fuck you gaf fuck you steve jobs. I hated this thing so much when it was first announced out that I bought a tablet pc. Then I started reading reviews And tried it at a store...done deal man. Apple needsto be rewarded for making the coolest gadget I've ever held in my hands. Sexy bitch as akon would say.

Foob said:
Yo I just wrote a 3 page essay using pages on here. I'm averaging about 100wpm now! I wasn't even thinking about it before I bought this, but the iWork suite is so far turning out to be my three favorite apps.
you too?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ravien56 said:
Yea....and apparentely it fucks up jailbroken iPhones?
Haven't had an issue with my jailbroken 3G and itunes 9.1.

It was discussed earlier, but anyone with a jailbroken iphone, MyWi works perfectly with the WiFi ipad (as it should). Nice way to save $130 bucks over the ipad 3G.

ravien56

wonderkins said:
Haven't had an issue with my jailbroken 3G and itunes 9.1.

It was discussed earlier, but anyone with a jailbroken iphone, MyWi works perfectly with the WiFi ipad (as it should). Nice way to save $130 bucks over the ipad 3G.
I remember reading somewhere that it screws up your phone...it might of just been 3.1.3....I got 3.0 so I guess it doesn't matter.

Mik2121

I wonder how gimped will the Japanese release be.. I hope we at least get 3G with an unlimited plan, probably with Softbank. Hopefully it's not very expensive...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So, has anyone put a video of geometry wars up yet?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Looks pretty good, but WTF at the bomb placement?

mik

mik is unbeatable
Some wallpapers--primarily game-themed, if anyone is in need:

Mac SE wallpaper

Half-Life 2

Heavy Rain

God of War 3

LBP

Muramasa

mik

mik is unbeatable
DoctorWho said:
That stuff looks great. Does save information transfer over to the iPad as well. Will it keep my completed save file of Space Invaders?
If there's a way, I don't know how. So, I'm starting all my iPhone games over again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
decided I'm going to wait for the model w/ webcam.

I can't justify the price to myself without one.

ravien56 said:
I remember reading somewhere that it screws up your phone...it might of just been 3.1.3....I got 3.0 so I guess it doesn't matter.
I'm running 3.1.3. Jailbroken and tethering. F'yeah!

But given the vagaries of the process, carrier files, firmwares, etc. I don't doubt that iphones are being borked. I'm thankful for those intrepid hackers who made it all possible, but it can still be a harrowing process if something doesn't go right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom