• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I remember reading them say Afterbirth will come to the other platforms 'later' and their only focus was on the PC and probably PS4 one for now.

So have fun waiting for 'later' in their language, 2017 maybe knowing the developers. :|

I play on Xbox One at the moment so I'm in the same boat! :(

I'll prolly just play Afterbirth on my PC version though, stuff waiting.

Afrodium

Banned
So for months I've needed Super Meat Boy for Platinum God. Lately I've been trying to clear all bosses on hard mode with all characters, and today I did a Samson run. I got Famine as my first boss and a cube of meat, making me think that this could be the run I've been waiting for. After a few floors, SMB seems unlikely as I've hit no more horsemen. I finally get War in Necropolis 1, but at this point there's not enough random bosses left so I resign myself to failing to get SMB yet again. No big deal, my goal for the run is to beat ??? anyway. The run continues, and in The Chest I get a Monster Manual. Somewhere in the back of my head I think that SMB is possible, but quickly dismiss the thought as ridiculous. I pop the Monster Manual and wouldn't you know...

PLATINUM GOD! YAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Stat!

I had a soon to be guppy run with blank card/tarot card jera and joker on the womb II that I rerolled into a dr fetus with spoon bender. Nearly lost the run but I had enough regular bombs to win. Was one of my worst rerolls ever. I really cant wait for Dr Fetus to be fixed in afterbirth!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Still playing this game exclusively whenever I have free time for video games. I can't even describe how impressed I am with this game. It definitely tops my list of "Near Flawless Indies that'll Make You Forget Non-indies" alongside Rogue Legacy, Guacamelee, Ascension: Towerfall, and Shovel Knight.

But on the topic of Afterbirth, I also wish it was being released sooner. I really hope I'll still be interested in coming back to it whenever it hits the Wii U... if it's being released on the Wii U to begin with.

zulux21

Still playing this game exclusively whenever I have free time for video games. I can't even describe how impressed I am with this game. It definitely tops my list of "Near Flawless Indies that'll Make You Forget Non-indies" alongside Rogue Legacy, Guacamelee, Ascension: Towerfall, and Shovel Knight.

But on the topic of Afterbirth, I also wish it was being released sooner. I really hope I'll still be interested in coming back to it whenever it hits the Wii U... if it's being released on the Wii U to begin with.

for me I leave isaac for a bit... then come back.. go I suck gotta get good again... 3 days later am a master player unlocking stuff again :p

MrPanic

Omg, been trying to get Platinum God for the last 3 days, was only missing Black Lotus and Missingno. Just had the most amazing run that netted me both items! I was actually quite annoyed during the whole run because the secret rooms were screwing me over pretty hard. It wasn't till the cathedral where I got a secret room with a item to reroll into Black Lotus followed by secret room with a regular chest in the Chest that turned into a item because that what happens there with chests. Really wasn't expecting that to reroll into Missingno but it totally did, though maybe it was to be expected after rerolling through most of the secret room item pool. By far the worst grind I had to do for something in this game, glad the game felt sorry for me and just handed me both in one run.

So I got Platinum God now right? Nope. Apparently I never unlocked the counterfeit penny because I barely played that shell game. So now I got to do that to finally unlock the achievement, anticlimax much. :|

edit: And there we go, Real Platinum God achieved! I'm ready for Afterbirth.

zulux21

hehe one of my tears (I have monstros lung so there are many)

5XHSk3y.png

7Nycbr6.png

rebirth dlc is up for preorder $6.66

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Should one with over 30 hours on the PC version and not even half cheevos get the dlc?

It adds a lot to the game including an entirely new mode and tweaks to how existing items interact. The original game's DLC added the final levels and a bunch of items and was considered crucial. This one looks like it's easily bigger.

aku:jiki

It adds a lot to the game including an entirely new mode and tweaks to how existing items interact. The original game's DLC added the final levels and a bunch of items and was considered crucial. This one looks like it's easily bigger.
WotL actually added the alternate levels, almost all of the special room types, curses and so on. This is why it's considered essential, because of all the added layers of strategy, not because of the sheer number of new items and bosses. Afterbirth seems much more modest in that area.

Still seems like a worthwhile DLC, obviously.

CassSept

Oh hell, I tried a run the other day (which was quite good, easy ??? with Judas) and it's pulling me back in. Half a year break was just what I needed and Afterbirth is just around the corner.

This is gonna be so good. Less than a month left!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Huh. Wonder why the system requirements are so much higher on Afterbirth? My PC is pretty shit, but plays Rebirth just fine (save for some lag in the Womb at times) with some tweaking of the settings. I hope Afterbirth won't be much more demanding.

Still gonna preorder though. For that price, I can't pass it up.

BigAT

Huh. Wonder why the system requirements are so much higher on Afterbirth? My PC is pretty shit, but plays Rebirth just fine (save for some lag in the Womb at times) with some tweaking of the settings. I hope Afterbirth won't be much more demanding.

Still gonna preorder though. For that price, I can't pass it up.

Could be more enemies on the screen with the new modes/rooms? Don't know what else would really do it.

SamVimes

I'm trying to get Real Platinum God before the dlc comes. I got done with The Lost pretty quickly all things considered (2 days with the flu), but i still haven't finished dark room with Maggie and both dark room and chest with Lazarus. Also i unlocked missing no ages ago and i never saw it anywhere.

edit: also Mom's heart on hard mode for every character but Isaac and The Lost.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was having a really good streak of runs. Then I got Everything is Terrible. Now I can't even get to Mom. :lol

It doesn't seem like it's *that* much more difficult, though. I think I'm just having a run of bad luck. At least I hope so.

CassSept

I'm trying to get Real Platinum God before the dlc comes. I got done with The Lost pretty quickly all things considered (2 days with the flu), but i still haven't finished dark room with Maggie and both dark room and chest with Lazarus. Also i unlocked missing no ages ago and i never saw it anywhere.

edit: also Mom's heart on hard mode for every character but Isaac and The Lost.

It took me 4 months/20 hours to actually get Godhead so you better prepare for some more frustration ahead of you.

Props to you for beating The Lost in 2 days, that's impressive.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was having a really good streak of runs. Then I got Everything is Terrible. Now I can't even get to Mom. :lol

It doesn't seem like it's *that* much more difficult, though. I think I'm just having a run of bad luck. At least I hope so.

And of course, right after I post this I go and have the best run I've had yet. Beat
Satan
, became
Lord of the Flies
, and overall just had one hell of a run.

SamVimes

It took me 4 months/20 hours to actually get Godhead so you better prepare for some more frustration ahead of you.

Props to you for beating The Lost in 2 days, that's impressive.

Well i had 9 lives and other good items in the winning runs so it's not like my performance carried it.

That reminds me, i'm only at 730 on my donation machine. Man, the stuff to do in this game just piles on.

Keinu

Quick question, I've done all bosses on all characters (including the Lost) on hard mode and think I have unlocked every item. Still 5 items I need to pick up to complete platinum god, can I do that in normal mode to speed things up or are some items only available in hard mode?

BigAT

Quick question, I've done all bosses on all characters (including the Lost) on hard mode and think I have unlocked every item. Still 5 items I need to pick up to complete platinum god, can I do that in normal mode to speed things up or are some items only available in hard mode?

Everything can potentially drop in normal.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I don't know if this will help or not, but I got the dollar bill on my last run from playing a slot machine in the arcade until it blew up.

That's the only way to get it, I'm fairly sure. And it's not even a guarantee when you play a slot machine to its end. (There are some annoying items like that.)

eerik9000

Pre-ordered Afterbirth.

Slowly giving up hope unlocking/grinding out Super Meat Boy before the DLC launches. It's the last thing I need for Platinum Good. Bandage Girl was one of first things I unlocked, like within the first few days of playing, without even knowing what I was doing, and I've gotten her multiple times since.

:(

I think I'm going to have to double-dip and get Rebirth on PC so I can play Afterbirth on release. Doubt I'm going to see it on the European Vita store this year. ;_;

Sarcasm

Is there a tool that helps you figure out at a glance what cheevos you need and can order them (like easiest to hard)?

Still only got up to 65 of them in the last few weeks.

AoM

Is there a tool that helps you figure out at a glance what cheevos you need and can order them (like easiest to hard)?

Still only got up to 65 of them in the last few weeks.

I don't know whether it does easiest to hardest, but: http://theriebel.de/tboirah/

Edit: First time playing Lost in a while...beat Isaac and BB on the first run. So much luck involved. Ipecac, good dmg ups, holy mantle, dead cat.

Gives me a little hope for getting the rest.

Edit 2: I don't know what's going on, but I beat Satan and the Lamb too. Luckily got Guppy.

After not trying for months, I get all but boss rush on the same day. Ok then.

Stat!

Man Im hoping for Afterbirth on PS4 soon. Currently on a 26 win Eden streak. Not my longest streak but it is for Eden only. Seems Eden streaks for me at least, really rely on luck. Having one heart, low tear rate, low damage starts can be killer

Jarsonot

Man, just need D4, missing no., and Isaac's Heart for true platinum God...

I also need to beat everything on hard with every character, for my personal box to tick. Figured I'd run into those EVENTUALLY... So far nope. Rally like to get it before afterbirth, and since I'm on the ps4 that means I'm ok with no release date yet =)

It's the silver lining. =)

Reset

I still need to get Meat Boy and Bandage Girl to level 4. I came close on my last run getting a level 4 Bandage girl, but then instead of Death, Conquest showed up.
At this rate, I'll never get the True Platinum God. So I'm giving up, and I'll play BoI once Afterbirth is released on the Playstation consoles.

Finally got around to getting The Lost

...lol what an awful character. I really wish he had spectral tears, the runs would be significantly less obnoxious if I didn't have to so often either choose between waiting for a sporadic enemy to get out from behind rocks, or risk losing a run to finish a normally simple enemy.

Man, just need D4, missing no., and Isaac's Heart for true platinum God...

I also need to beat everything on hard with every character, for my personal box to tick. Figured I'd run into those EVENTUALLY... So far nope. Rally like to get it before afterbirth, and since I'm on the ps4 that means I'm ok with no release date yet =)

It's the silver lining. =)

Ironically, I'm so much closer to getting all of the items thanks in large part to having the D4. I love that I can fill my collection with items I haven't even unlocked! I think the only item I don't have that isn't spacebar items is Godhead.

AoM

...lol what an awful character. I really wish he had spectral tears, the runs would be significantly less obnoxious if I didn't have to so often either choose between waiting for a sporadic enemy to get out from behind rocks, or risk losing a run to finish a normally simple enemy.

Ironically, I'm so much closer to getting all of the items thanks in large part to having the D4. I love that I can fill my collection with items I haven't even unlocked! I think the only item I don't have that isn't spacebar items is Godhead.

For me, I have to have a dead cat. For a while there, I would just reset until I found one in the opening curse room. For the two runs above, I just started with a good first item room (ipecac, daddy longlegs), and then luckily got 9 lives in a devil deal. It really is all luck, and I wish there weren't achievements tied to him. I doubt I'll be able to beat boss rush, but we'll see.

Nere

I was bored one day and wanted something new to play so downloaded this on my vita not expecting much. Holy shit what an excellent little game the amount of variations and the fact of how different it is everytime you play it make this game a real gem. Super excited for the expansion but either on Vita or nothing I refuse to play it on something else it plays wonderfully there. (plus something tells me the fact that I am from EU that I am fucked but I am still hopeful)

I also hope Afterbirth tweaks the new enemies. A lot of the enemies have a lot of randomness to them that results in a lot of boring waiting and watching. I'd say in a "10 worst Rebirth enemies" list, most of the entries would be new ones.

Vlad

Yeah, he's pretty terrible. I ended up cheating my way through to the end of my Lost runs by
closing the game with Alt-F4 when I took a hit. If they didn't patch it out already, that will put you back at the beginning of the stage you were at when you closed it

The character is such bullshit that I didn't feel at all bad about it.

I also hope Afterbirth tweaks the new enemies. A lot of the enemies have a lot of randomness to them that results in a lot of boring waiting and watching. I'd say in a "10 worst Rebirth enemies" list, most of the entries would be new ones.

Forget the enemies, they need to put the old music back. Does anybody actually prefer the new stuff to the godlike DannyB soundtrack?

AoM

I've been so close to beating boss rush with Lost. It's not too difficult to get there, but actually finishing it, man. Monstro II and the Bloat, especially. I guess I need to get a combo where I can't take damage, so I can just sit there. Will keep trying. I wanna try to get it before afterbirth releases.

barik

I've been so close to beating boss rush with Lost. It's not too difficult to get there, but actually finishing it, man. Monstro II and the Bloat, especially. I guess I need to get a combo where I can't take damage, so I can just sit there. Will keep trying. I wanna try to get it before afterbirth releases.

It really is just a matter of luck/time until you find a Gnawed Leaf + Orbital or some other ridiculous combo, and even then you still have to play perfectly for 40 minutes or so. I'm not a fan of the design at all, but looking back I'm still glad I took the time to complete everything.

AoM

It really is just a matter of luck/time until you find a Gnawed Leaf + Orbital or some other ridiculous combo, and even then you still have to play perfectly for 40 minutes or so. I'm not a fan of the design at all, but looking back I'm still glad I took the time to complete everything.

I haven't found a gnawed leaf in what feels like forever. Even if I don't get it before the 30th, I'll have afterbirth to play (please no more Lost achievements...).

Decided to buy Rebirth/Afterbirth on PC as I can't wait until next year to play it on Vita in Europe...feels weird starting over again! Seem to be getting major slowdown when taking pills for some reason...doesn't bode well for crazy tear effect performance.

Roll on next Friday!

Reset

Ok I lied about taking a break, but today in the morning I got both level 4 MeatBoy and and Bandage Girl. And in the next run I got the super bandage item, and now I finally have real platinum god. Now I'll be taking a break until Afterbirth is released haha

Top Bottom