• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

TURBO1112

Been playing this a bit on console and decided to get it on PC. Does it go on sale often on steam or should I go ahead and buy it for 14.99?

Vlad

Been playing this a bit on console and decided to get it on PC. Does it go on sale often on steam or should I go ahead and buy it for 14.99?

There's about to be an autumn sale on Steam this week (I believe it starts on Wednesday?). Wait until then, at least.

dickroach

just had an awesome Greed mode run with Eden, started with the D4, got hella good stats, a ton of transformations, so I had no use to buy items and got to/beat Ultra Greed with like 80 coins. only a "1%" chance to jam. first coin jammed it.
-_____________________________________________________________-

Hesemonni

Banned
Finally locked the Lost today and even made it to Isaac in Cathedral on the first try. Died because of a silly mistake.

Also, finally managed to beat Beans challenge after I guess two month hiatus of not even trying it.

I started played recently. Love the game, but I feel like I'm missing something.

It feels like most of the time the game doesn't give you everything you need to find the secrets or collect everything from a level.

It's very rare for me to get the jump ability, but the game constantly puts stuff in corners or cliffs you can only get by jumping. Same with blow able walls and floors, there's never any marking on which can be exploded (that I know of), like those rooms with the tooth doors, I feel like there's always a way out of it, but it's always try and error with very limited bombs to spare.

Still, every time I die I feel like it's my own fault, so the game never seems totally unfair.

Vlad

I started played recently. Love the game, but I feel like I'm missing something.

It feels like most of the time the game doesn't give you everything you need to find the secrets or collect everything from a level.

It's very rare for me to get the jump ability, but the game constantly puts stuff in corners or cliffs you can only get by jumping. Same with blow able walls and floors, there's never any marking on which can be exploded (that I know of), like those rooms with the tooth doors, I feel like there's always a way out of it, but it's always try and error with very limited bombs to spare.

Still, every time I die I feel like it's my own fault, so the game never seems totally unfair.

The game is randomly generated, so yes, there will be times where you can't get certain items. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to skip item rooms because the game just decided to be skimpy with the keys that run.

That said, there are often ways around certain problems. For those items on the other side of gaps, you can bomb a rock that's next to the gap. Most of the time, the blast will push the rock over onto the gap, making a bridge you can cross. There's also a ladder that lets you cross single-block gaps, and there are many items that let you fly, either permanently or just for the room you're in. The more you play, the more you'll start to learn the various ways you can get to things.

The rooms with the tooth doors are just rooms that hurt you when you go through the door. You're taking a risk with those that the reward in there will be worth the lost health. Sometimes a secret room will be next to one, then you can bomb your way in and out, but not always.

And yes, there aren't any visual cues as to which walls you can blow up, but there is a pattern to where the secret rooms are located in a level. It's not 100%, but once you learn it, you'll be able to improve your odds of finding them.

On the other hand, there's also items that make it trivial to find secret rooms. You'll eventually find an item that makes your shots explode, so you can just check every wall for free, and there's another item that straight-up just shows you where they are.

The game is randomly generated, so yes, there will be times where you can't get certain items. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to skip item rooms because the game just decided to be skimpy with the keys that run.

That said, there are often ways around certain problems. For those items on the other side of gaps, you can bomb a rock that's next to the gap. Most of the time, the blast will push the rock over onto the gap, making a bridge you can cross. There's also a ladder that lets you cross single-block gaps, and there are many items that let you fly, either permanently or just for the room you're in. The more you play, the more you'll start to learn the various ways you can get to things.

The rooms with the tooth doors are just rooms that hurt you when you go through the door. You're taking a risk with those that the reward in there will be worth the lost health. Sometimes a secret room will be next to one, then you can bomb your way in and out, but not always.

And yes, there aren't any visual cues as to which walls you can blow up, but there is a pattern to where the secret rooms are located in a level. It's not 100%, but once you learn it, you'll be able to improve your odds of finding them.

On the other hand, there's also items that make it trivial to find secret rooms. You'll eventually find an item that makes your shots explode, so you can just check every wall for free, and there's another item that straight-up just shows you where they are.
Thanks for the reply. Playing a bit right now I realized this blasting of a rock to make a bridge.

About the item part, in a run I did crossed a item which opened all the secret doors, but the items only last for that run, right? There's no way to keep them whether you win or lose?

Vlad

Thanks for the reply. Playing a bit right now I realized this blasting of a rock to make a bridge.

About the item part, in a run I did crossed a item which opened all the secret doors, but the items only last for that run, right? There's no way to keep them whether you win or lose?

Yup, that's the kind of game it is (known as a "roguelike"). Each run, you start from scratch. What does change is that you slowly get more items that can appear in future runs. Whenever you get that "[item] has appeared in the basement!" message, that means that the item in question is now available to appear with all the other ones.

Top Bottom