• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think it is funny because they are about the same thing, hateiful people on social media. That what it boils down to.

The way you framed it the second time around made more sense:

Real interesting people are going to the criminals, who is defending them in this thread? They did some fucked up shit and will be punished for it. Good.

But in shitting on racists we are defending them? How ?CNN type logic going on there. Real Weird

And in that sense I totally agree with you.

Crocodile

The comparison isn't exactly 1 to 1 but its close enough that I understand what you mean.

I'll be honest, and this is only how I feel since I don't have any data to back this up, it seems women and homosexuals are making bigger "gains"/getting less push back in the United States than minorities in general . I think a large part of it is that there are more white women in the country than minorities of any gender and it becomes increasingly harder to be a gay bashing bigot when you meet more and more people who look like you (family member, friend, co-worker) who are gay. However, its still super easy to "other" those who don't look like you.

Am I wrong on this? I could just be a fucking idiot and I certainly don't mean to imply everything is all "honky dory" regarding gender or sexuality issues (far from it) but it feels like bigger gains are being made there even though we got a Black dude into the White House.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
That wedding thread is....weird. I get the saying "you're marrying the family too" but when the drama is in your own family eh. If there's anything I've learned growing up family can be even more fucked up than strangers.

RUEBn2c.jpg
He had me laughing for a minute last night with this lol..that show ain't too shabby.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The comparison isn't exactly 1 to 1 but its close enough that I understand what you mean.

I'll be honest, and this is only how I feel since I don't have any data to back this up, it seems women and homosexuals are making bigger "gains"/getting less push back in the United States than minorities in general . I think a large part of it is that there are more white women in the country than minorities of any gender and it becomes increasingly harder to be a gay bashing bigot when you meet more and more people who look like you (family member, friend, co-worker) who are gay. However, its still super easy to "other" those who don't look like you.

Am I wrong on this? I could just be a fucking idiot and I certainly don't mean to imply everything is all "honky dory" regarding gender or sexuality issues (far from it) but it feels like bigger gains are being made there even though we got a Black dude into the White House.

It all depends on how you look at it. I mean, in all cases there is alot of lip service being given here. Like at my job, a few years ago they made all these efforts to be more diverse in management, but 85% of the women and minorities that are managers don't actually manage people, they just have a title. So while yes, same sex marriage is legal, and you see "gains" with women, the real change is when people's attitudes and biases change. I think there will always be people who hate blacks, latinos, gays, and feel women should only be barefoot and pregnant. The challenge is to make sure they are held accountable when those feelings start affecting people in their workplace or daily lives. That doesn't happen consistently. The main reason is people are too busy trying to make money to eat and live and don't have time or means to fight.

ReiGun

Folks talk about OP, this team is OP before you get to the fact Galactus is on it

And the diversity!!!!

Team's straight up #BlackExcellence. Yes, I'm including Galactus in that. He's ours now.

Meh on Carol and America though. But hey, maybe between the two of them, they can conjure up a personality.

zeemumu

Facebook just seems like the least likely place for racist or stupid comments because you aren't protected by anonymity like you would be on YouTube.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Need some help BCT.

Let me preface by saying my girlfriends mother is a very loving woman that has raised a daughter I admire more than anyone I've encountered thus far in my life. If it weren't for this woman and by proxy her mother I wouldn't uphold some of the values in life I was shying away from before I met her.

Anyways not to sound completely biased, but my girlfriends mom is a traditional helicopter parent. If she passed away she'd be trying to direct my girlfriends every move from the grave. When we first started seeing each other mom literally forbade my girlfriend from driving to see me (we live 40 minutes away from each other) and since she pays for and owns the car my girlfriend drives my girlfriend doesn't fight back because she's got school and work. My girlfriend kind of disobeyed moms wishes and came to see me, got her car taken away for a while and had to ride the bus to work and school for a month. They didn't talk and they made up on he condition that girlfriend never drives herself to see me and that a tracker be placed on her car (oh also the tracker monitors speed and she can't go above 65mph). There's a lot more to this story and how my girlfriend is treated by her mother but I just wanted you guys to understand what we're dealing with here.

Now it's not secret that I've been unemployed and if anyone cares enough to notice I've mentioned moving in with my girl. I told my dad like the week I asked my girl to move in (very supportive, in fact we wouldn't have gotten the apartment If not for him). So everything is going perfect: apartment lined up, job lined up smooth sailing. *charlie Murphy voice* Wrong, wrong. Mom gets girlfriends credit card statement in he mail, opens it and sees that my girl has been helping me out here and there as well as noticing payments for a rental application. Shits currently blowing up in our face. Girlfriend wanted to tell mom about the move in this weekend even though we move in August first. Unfortunately this nuke went off ahead of schedule. Call it divine intervention or whatever but this is why I didn't want to tell mom about the move in at all.

Edit: btw we're both 24

Slayven

Need some help BCT.

Let me preface by saying my girlfriends mother is a very loving woman that has raised a daughter I admire more than anyone I've encountered thus far in my life. If it weren't for this woman and by proxy her mother I wouldn't uphold some of the values in life I was shying away from before I met her.

Anyways not to sound completely biased, but my girlfriends mom is a traditional helicopter parent. If she passed away she'd be trying to direct my girlfriends every move from the grave. When we first started seeing each other mom literally forbade my girlfriend from driving to see me (we live 40 minutes away from each other) and since she pays for and owns the car my girlfriend drives my girlfriend doesn't fight back because she's got school and work. My girlfriend kind of disobeyed moms wishes and came to see me, got her car taken away for a while and had to ride the bus to work and school for a month. They didn't talk and they made up on he condition that girlfriend never drives herself to see me and that a tracker be placed on her car (oh also the tracker monitors speed and she can't go above 65mph). There's a lot more to this story and how my girlfriend is treated by her mother but I just wanted you guys to understand what we're dealing with here.

Now it's not secret that I've been unemployed and if anyone cares enough to notice I've mentioned moving in with my girl. I told my dad like the week I asked my girl to move in (very supportive, in fact we wouldn't have gotten the apartment If not for him). So everything is going perfect: apartment lined up, job lined up smooth sailing. *charlie Murphy voice* Wrong, wrong. Mom gets girlfriends credit card statement in he mail, opens it and sees that my girl has been helping me out here and there as well as noticing payments for a rental application. Shits currently blowing up in our face. Girlfriend wanted to tell mom about the move in this weekend even though we move in August first. Unfortunately this nuke went off ahead of schedule. Call it divine intervention or whatever but this is why I didn't want to tell mom about the move in at all.

WTF the fuck. Somebody has to get their feelings hurt, might be a bit, might be a lot, but it is going to happen. All you can do is try to soften the blow. Try talking to the mom, and let her know you being straight up.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
WTF the fuck. Somebody has to get their feelings hurt, might be a bit, might be a lot, but it is going to happen. All you can do is try to soften the blow. Try talking to the mom, and let her know you being straight up.
One thing slay, I've never met the mom. She wasn't ready to meet me. At one point she didn't want to meet me because I was unemployed. I couldn't talk to her if I wanted to. And people wonder why I'm so aloof about family. They're just as fucked up as anyone else. All the attributes of my own mother sans the physical abuse.

zeemumu

You know it's bad when people are okay saying racist shit with their names attached

Half the time it's not because they have the balls to be openly racist. On Twitter people just assume that they can't be found, apparently not realizing how much personal information they give away in their tweets and pics, then end up getting fired.
One thing slay, I've never met the mom. She wasn't ready to meet me. At one point she didn't want to meet me because I was unemployed. I couldn't talk to her if I wanted to. And people wonder why I'm so aloof about family. They're just as fucked up as anyone else. All the attributes of my own mother sans the physical abuse.
This is the part where you break into her house and find out that her mom is a skeleton in a chair, then get attack by your girlfriend wearing her mom's clothes.

My grandma is weird. She's ignorant yet progressive. She thinks putting earrings in both ears can make you gay but everyone should have been able to marry anyone always. And mexicams are great ppl but if you do them wrong they'll switchblade you

Jacir

Relevant to the current conversation, I would like to say that being a terrible rebel against family is such an unfortunate thing for me that it is really annoying. It's like if Shy really is a nice person in real life, I would be that child who is having a hard time becoming independent. Comparison may not make sense, but I guess it is I who knows my situation the most . This is my current dilemma for the longest time. It's kinda pathetic really. lol at myself. I need help.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Facebook just seems like the least likely place for racist or stupid comments because you aren't protected by anonymity like you would be on YouTube.

I don't think most have a clue how Facebook or the internet works. Also, they feel as though they are right and their views are racist at all in the first place.

Ranking out of songs from Ego Death and Summer 06

1. Special Affair
  2. Just Sayin/I Tired
  3. Senorita
  4. Hang n Bang
  5. Gabby
  6. Palace/Curse
  7. 3230
  8. Jump Off the Roof
  9. Girl (the beat is 90% of my liking of the song)
  10. For The World
  11. Summertime
  12. Partners in Crime Part Three
  13. Lift me up
  14. C.N.B.
  15. Go with it
  16. The rest of the songs

Speaking of, is it me or is this show getting better?

To be honest the more this show sticks to minority issues, the more I like it...

The big problem, and it came into clear focus with Charleston Shooting episode, is the Keep it 100 segment.

The panel segment is the focus and it needs room to breathe. It normally only gets the middle segment of the show, so maybe 15 minutes at best. When you strike the Keep it 100 bit down and replace it with more of the panel, the show works better. They did that for the Charleston Shooting ep and it was great.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Team's straight up #BlackExcellence. Yes, I'm including Galactus in that. He's ours now.

Meh on Carol and America though. But hey, maybe between the two of them, they can conjure up a personality.

the black trinity is real. and being around all that power, they should be able to manifest interesting personalities

The chorus was like the best part of the song. I was like this the whole time during the song...

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1754019/23167160/1374613924503/i5oynJ1BYzgub.gif?token=%2FnS4yq4jKDaHzVBmnks00LfaZxs%3D[/IMG[/QUOTE]
it had you like a fat guy who no matter how big his chain is looks like some candy necklaces and tic tacs?

Need some help BCT.

Yeah I'll go ahead and quote the nicest thing that can possibly be said here..
Here it is. 24 years old? Nah..this is madness.
This is the most familiar story. Back in Miami with a white friend, and his Peruvian girl. Lived with her mother. Mom owned car. Paid insurance. All that happy shit. Difference was she wasn't allowed to see him at MY house lol..guess why?

Look, you can respect her plenty. Appreciate that she had a large hand in molding the woman you love. That's all swell. End of the day, though, this isn't about anyone else. If things work out with her mother? Phenomenal! No? No. Maybe she'll come around.

jSLBkWZ.gif

Again, you're moving in with your girl..not her mother. It's hard to make people change their views on things..it's up to her mother to accept change. It's never comfortable. As a parent, I can tell you this sounds a bit nightmarish to me lol. The facts remain the facts.

Good luck to y'all. As someone who lives in perpetual drama, all I can say is learn to ignore it. When we stick to the positives, our days go by quickly and happily. Let the nuts in? They become the longest, slowest, most painful days in life.

Own your shit..don't let anyone else dictate it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Oh I hear everything you're saying Gordon. I ignore that shit. My problem is that my girl lets her get away with this stuff. I shouldn't have to be pulling out nails trying to walk on egg shells around her mom. My girl says she doesn't want to pick sides. I told her to pick her own side, that's the side I'm on. Idk what it is but I feel like my girl needs approval from her mother at times.

Oh I hear everything you're saying Gordon. I ignore that shit. My problem is that my girl lets her get away with this stuff. I shouldn't have to be pulling out nails trying to walk on egg shells around her mom. My girl says she doesn't want to pick sides. I told her to pick her own side, that's the side I'm on. Idk what it is but I feel like my girl needs approval from her mother at times.
Yup..just like that Peruvian girl. Sounds like y'all have to have an important conversation. If she was gonna surprise her with this move WITHOUT her blessing, no need to start buckling now. 24 years old? Y'all pretty past them "do what I tell you" days..damn.

Sorry you going though this shit..

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yup..just like that Peruvian girl. Sounds like y'all have to have an important conversation. If she was gonna surprise her with this move WITHOUT her blessing, no need to start buckling now. 24 years old? Y'all pretty past them "do what I tell you" days..damn.

Sorry you going though this shit..
I know I know. Oh hold up she's sending a text to moms now. Oh shit.

Edit: this is such a clutch text. Basically it's saying I don't appreciate a lack of support. support me and eloquentm cause we're moving in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom