• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Popeye's fans in here, if you have a Tropical Smoothie in your area they've got one of their new experimental things out and they're chicken sandwich sliders. It's grilled, not fried, but you can get them in three different flavors (Caribbean Jerk, Hawaiian BBQ, Sweet and Spicy Sriracha) and the Sriracha ones basically taste like a sandwich made with Popeyes' spicy chicken and coleslaw. They're pretty good.

FyreWulff

Eloq sounds like a standard super-controlling mom. Wouldn't even say helicopter, that's all the way into co-dependency and maximum control.

Basically this ends one of two ways: her daughter leaving makes her snap out of it and treat her daughter like the separate human being she is, or she goes full torch. Unfortunately, there's never any indicator on which way it'll go. Support your GF and everything should work out though.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Eloq sounds like a standard super-controlling mom. Wouldn't even say helicopter, that's all the way into co-dependency and maximum control.

Basically this ends one of two ways: her daughter leaving makes her snap out of it and treat her daughter like the separate human being she is, or she goes full torch. Unfortunately, there's never any indicator on which way it'll go. Support your GF and everything should work out though.
Thanks man and yeah, she doesn't even live with her mom which is the craziest part about it.

FyreWulff

Just so you know fyrewulff. She went full torch. Damn this is giving me flashback of my own fucked up mother.

Yeah, full torch is the hard mode. This is the part where you escape an abuser's grasp.

Make sure to get anything that has she has (bank accounts etc) with her mom's name closed or with her mom's name removed.

My brothers' wife has sisters that work at the bank she has an account in and they'll look in her account to see if she has money and will snitch her out to her mom when her mom begs her for money and she says she doesn't have any. We've finally convinced her to go get another bank account elsewhere. The emotional hooks these people get in are deep, don't get mad at her for any lapses or anything.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, full torch is the hard mode. This is the part where you escape an abuser's grasp.

Make sure to get anything that has she has (bank accounts etc) with her mom's name closed or with her mom's name removed.

My brothers' wife has sisters that work at the bank she has an account in and they'll look in her account to see if she has money and will snitch her out to her mom when her mom begs her for money and she says she doesn't have any. We've finally convinced her to go get another bank account elsewhere. The emotional hooks these people get in are deep, don't get mad at her for any lapses or anything.
if anything I emphathize completely. My mom is on a whole other level (mental/emotional and physical abuse). I just don't get it. You can say you love your kid then just abuse them. If she lapses I won't get mad and I'll support but damn if it's not fucked up.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Thanks BCT fam

Did I miss this? You got the job?

Congrats man.
Yeah they've been calling my references and the recruiter said once that's done and they fingerprint scan me. Just waiting on a call lol ugh. I mean I don't technically have it which is what makes me nervous but the recruiter expressed as such when they went into reference calling mode.

esms

Yeah they've been calling my references and the recruiter said once that's done and they fingerprint scan me. Just waiting on a call lol ugh. I mean I don't technically have it which is what makes me nervous but the recruiter expressed as such when they went into reference calling mode.

The in-between/I-think-I-informally-have-it stage is the worst. Pulling for you.

Shy

Need some help BCT.
WTF the fuck. Somebody has to get their feelings hurt, might be a bit, might be a lot, but it is going to happen. All you can do is try to soften the blow. Try talking to the mom, and let her know you being straight up.
I agree with Slay for your situation Eloquent.
One thing slay, I've never met the mom. She wasn't ready to meet me. At one point she didn't want to meet me because I was unemployed. I couldn't talk to her if I wanted to.
I know I know. Oh hold up she's sending a text to moms now. Oh shit.

Edit: this is such a clutch text. Basically it's saying I don't appreciate a lack of support. support me and eloquentm cause we're moving in.
I think you should ask your GF to send another text saying you would like to talk to her (the mum) to clear the air and explain the situation completely, so there's no ill will going forward.
What is a good average temp for a cpu and motherboard?
Ummm, i wanna to say between mid 40s-50s Celsius, i might be wrong though.
Crossing all my fingers and toes for you.

Slayven

listening to where's my 40 acres and they said something that hit me hard "We are the first black generation that not only has to fight racism, we have to fight to prove racism even exists".

Dereck

jra5Ugv.jpg

rTjIBPe.png

The Smith 5

Trey

listening to where's my 40 acres and they said something that hit me hard "We are the first black generation that not only has to fight racism, we have to fight to prove racism even exists".

as much a product of progress as it is the entrenched nature of the white power structure.

You're peeling back the superficial skin of racism, but only tangentially contending with the core.

Finding a 'bonafide racist' is like finding the boogeyman with the lights on

as much a product of progress as it is the entrenched nature of the white power structure.

You're peeling back the superficial skin of racism, but only tangentially contending with the core.

Not to mention there are just as many shaming people for actually talking about racism - "who's the real bigot here," etc.

And even then, you'll have people performing surgery at the atomic level to try and detach an instance from being racist, despite being completely racially-motivated at its core. There was that whole racist Chelsea fans thing a while back where people were, like, checking off certain elements of the whole event as being racist, not racist, etc. but because it could have happened to anyone and it just so happened to be racists doing it to a person of color, it wasn't racially motivated - those people weren't racist, it was just circumstance!

Crocodile

Htown hit the nail on the head with that one. And its to the point where it needs to be used in every discussion on race because people just look away from it

Is that the racism quantum mechanics post?

*Hits link*

Yep. Not sure why that isn't his tag rather than the gravestone bit.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ever felt that everything you do is for nothing and in the end you just fail? My week just got shittier. If I die in my sleep it would such a relief. The whole it gets better thing is full of crap.

Crocodile

Ever felt that everything you do is for nothing and in the end you just fail? My week just got shittier. If I die in my sleep it would such a relief. The whole it gets better thing is full of crap.

Real talk? I dunno what your situation is with your parents, close relatives or friends but if they aren't available, please at least see a therapist. You make "fuck me, fuck the universe" posts WAY too often for my tastes and though I don't really know you the stuff that comes out of your mouth can be mad depressing and or scary. Take care of yourself bro.

Nakazato

For the Popeye's fans in here, if you have a Tropical Smoothie in your area they've got one of their new experimental things out and they're chicken sandwich sliders. It's grilled, not fried, but you can get them in three different flavors (Caribbean Jerk, Hawaiian BBQ, Sweet and Spicy Sriracha) and the Sriracha ones basically taste like a sandwich made with Popeyes' spicy chicken and coleslaw. They're pretty good.
Will try tomorrow

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Real talk? I dunno what your situation is with your parents, close relatives or friends but if they aren't available, please at least see a therapist. You make "fuck me, fuck the universe" posts WAY too often for my tastes and though I don't really know you the stuff that comes out of your mouth can be mad depressing and or scary. Take care of yourself bro.

therapy doesnt work, trust me. I can walk into a therapist office as a loser and will still be a loser when i leave. therapy doesn't help anyone.

Shy

I know how you feel.
I really can't give you much advice to help. So i'll post this gif in hopes it a puts a smile on your face. And like Crocodile said, try to take care of yourself Jubei. <3
JCOY4OW.gif

Kreed

Have to disagree here. Every black generation in the US fighting racism has had to prove something racist was happening while it's happening. It's just that when we the current generation look back at the events in history, the majority of people agree it's racism because the events that happened then vs present day are worse by comparison. But throughout history racist weren't calling themselves racists while doing the actions and they always had excuses to justify their actions. Ex: Churches that didn't want to marry people of different ethnic groups until 1967. Most of them cited the bible/religious reasons or protecting children as excuses for doing what they were doing.

Jacir

It's kinda surreal seeing all those news agency Twitter accounts asking for permission in the comments. Reminds me of all those youtube comments where people ask to use VGM remixes in their intro videos and stuff.

Yeah this came to mind too. It's weird and yet I don't think that aspect of breaking news on social media will stop. I don't know how to react to it.

As for the story, whether arson or sabotage or whatever, precedence is already known. Hopefully, they get the bastard.

As far as I know, not much info other than those 2 pics. Whats pissing me off right now is that not a single news outlet has reported about this.
You're right, too. Seems like the only time I see ANY news, Coin posted a thread. If not for him, would know shit..fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom