• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The current state of discussion

krazen

Every single ounce of this post is complete and total nonsense. The one asshole you're talking about did indeed take a couple days to get banned but guess what, people get the benefit of the doubt around here now. What a novel idea. And your third paragraph perfectly describes resetera. It has no relation to here anymore.

Praq, only because the assholia behavior aligns with your political views are you like, “They shit the post, took days to ban, so what?”

If it was someone who hopped in a pro gun rights thread, made up a biased baded persona to troll it, you would be pissed. Your ‘It happens on resetera, not here’ is the problem. ITS THE SAME SHIT HERE AND THERE MY DUDE, lol.

prag16

Banned
Help me out, when did this change occur?
Not a change. GG always was kind of a mixed bag, with a lot of well intentioned and a lot of ill intentioned individuals.

The perception that it's strictly bad was manufactured by old gaf and portions of the gaming press.

prag16

Banned
Praq, only because the assholia behavior aligns with your political views are you like, “They shit the post, took days to ban, so what?”

If it was someone who hopped in a pro gun rights thread, made up a biased baded persona to troll it, you would be pissed. Your ‘It happens on resetera, not here’ is the problem. ITS THE SAME SHIT HERE AND THERE MY DUDE, lol.
Not really, no. Not at all. Will not respond further to disingenuous nonsense like this. It's already been discussed ad nauseum.

krazen

Not really, no. Not at all. Will not respond further to disingenuous nonsense like this. It's already been discussed ad nauseum.

Discussed but no reciepts. The fact you had to pull a ‘it happens there’ when we are talking HERE exposed that there’s no air to your argument. “ad nauseum” indeed

prag16

Banned
Discussed but no reciepts. The fact you had to pull a ‘it happens there’ when we are talking HERE exposed that there’s no air to your argument. “ad nauseum” indeed
Receipts for what? You claimed something is happening here. I said no, it's not. And you're asking for receipts now? One can't prove a negative. It doesn't work that way. The burden of proof is on those making the alt-right related claims about the site. And none of you have come up with jack shit except for one obvious troll that was banned.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It is the same shit? How? Do you have any proof of this claim? Having spent a good while in both communities, I can't really see how they are anything alike.

entremet

I mean what else did you expect.
Like I said, I don't have anything bad to say about the place, but I would've expected a unique twist.

But right now it's mostly carbon copy with some new wrinkles.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I’m guessing “receipts” is the latest internet buzzword?

I wish it was. It's a meme that's been abused for too long, as most are, like "diet racist" except every time someone uses that one unironically at least I get a good laugh out of it.

Kadayi

Banned
Some people care for all kind of stupid crap, that doesn't mean we should take them and their concerns seriously or pander to them. The driveby "who cares" posts are awful but a post explaining why the issue is trivial or the discussion of it pointless and you shouldn't care about it is very, very different.

Life is too short to shit on other peoples fascinations.

If I have no interest in a subject I don't bother posting. I don't assume that the internet cares about my apathy towards it. I'm a PC gamer for instance. You'll never see me shitting up a PS4 or XBox thread. What would be the point?

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I think the gaming community, and NeoGAF in particular, needs to find a way to calmly evaluate its hierarchy of values.

It's no secret that recent political trends have taken a hold of hobbyist communities, introducing a whole new set of values and belief systems. Political values are highly divisive because people tend to feel very strongly about them. What's making things even worse is the fact that these new values, that have been injected into the bloodstream of the gaming community, claim hegemony by aggressively challenge long established values. Unfortunately many people are woefully unequipped to discuss these values. often resorting to some kind of hyperbole or inductive-reductive reasoning in order to drive their points home.

The problem of hyperbole

Hyperbole is a form of overstatement that seeks to exaggerate the truth in order to augment the potency of the argument. It can be a valid rhetorical tool (e.g. I avoid crowded places like the plague), but when hyperbole is used in the context of people or social groups, it becomes rather aggressive (e.g. this person is a Nazi or this community is a hivemind).

The problem of inductive reasoning

Inductive reasoning is the derivation of universal principles from specific/singular observations and often leads to faulty generalizations. Sharing personal experiences is well and fine, but should at best be considered anecdotal evidence because other people usually make different experiences. I often see this when people are discussing other gaming communities, they usually take 1-2 specific examples in order to make assumptions about the community as a whole. For example: this member of the community said X, this member said Y, therefore said community must be Z. That kind of reasoning often leads to the vilification of whole communities and social groups and is harmful to any sort of healthy debate. It is better to stick to the arguments at hand, rather than making assumptions about the whole group by making them guilty through association.

The problem of reductive reasoning

Reductive reasoning is the practice of oversimplifying a complex problem, idea or situation. People often tend to present an inadequate or simplistic proposition for some idea, and address this reduced version of the subject in order to show how silly and foolish this inadequate or simplistic idea can be. This is often used to label people of the opposition in order to dismiss their claims by construing an ad hominem. For example: This person said Y, therefore said person must be X. This approach is incredibly harmful for any discussion, because you are essentially reducing a complex person to a handful of simplistic comments. In other words, separate the argument from the person. Considering the reputation of NeoGAF, we should be very careful not to fall prey to this kind of reasoning as to prevent harm to people on the outside (i.e. don't start stupid witch-hunts).

The hierarchy of values

When two people debate their values, they oftentimes make the erroneous assumption that their opponent doesn't acknowledge their beliefs at all. In reality, they more often than not, disagree on the importance of said values, that is the position of said value within the hierarchy. Furthermore, different people may share the same values, but disagree on how said values should be enforced or attained. Values don't exist isolated from each other, sometimes they overlap and sometimes they even contradict each other (e.g. should I tell a white lie, or say the truth and risk vexing somebody), in other words they are part of a complex belief structure. It is important to keep that in mind when debating somebody, thus creating mutual understanding.

NeoGAF in practice...

After the recent turmoil, I think that NeoGAF is currently reevaluating its hierarchy of values, at least in the sense that the free exchange of ideas has become much more important relative to other values. This change happened very rapidly and in a radical manner, leading to all sorts of problems:

First of all, the community hasn't had time yet to adapt to the challenges that come with this new freedom. Once mutually accepted speech codes have established a general debating culture, things will settle down.​

Second, it is only normal that this radical shift comes to the dislike of many users who grew used to the old hierarchy of values. Thus leading to the subjective impression that 'NeoGAF is going down the drain' or becoming a bastion for the 'alt-right'. Whether this is true or not comes down to the ability of this community to engage with controversial ideas in a reasoned and responsible manner, and not to heavy-handed moderation.​

Third, while the NeoGAF community is reevaluating its hierarchy of values, it should be made clear that other values are not discarded. So feel free to disagree with each other, but acknowledging the other person's values and understanding where he comes from, contributes greatly to a more healthy discussion. When the value system is changing, clarify the reasons why this is happening and why it's considered necessary. Do this by underlining the strengths and benefits of your own proposed hierarchy, not by shitting on other people's belief systems and values. It is important to explain and make people understand why changes are happening. In that regard I think that EviLore and his team are doing a good job (or at least that seems to be their intention), but it also comes down to the responsibility of every single member.​

That other place...
For obvious reasons, I feel somehow reluctant to talk about this, but I think it's important in the context of this discussion. It is quite evident that the people who left have chosen a wholly different hierarchy of values, revering the representation of identity above all else. They are doing so partially to the detriment of any other values, leading to a whole new set of different problems. There is certainly value in reasoned discussion of these problems because they pertain to the validity of the value hierarchy on NeoGAF. What's not conducive though is when these discussions merely serve to point fingers at other communities or people. Both communities should be aware that there is still significant overlap between their values, but they disagree on how they should be weighted and/or applied.

Considering the quite suffocating atmosphere of this forum in the past, it is only natural that its members have the need to vent their frustrations now that they feel allowed to talk more freely. Although I would advise to kindly follow the above mentioned proposals as to prevent some sort of silly flame war. I don't think the gaming community needs any more of that and most people are getting sick and tired of that.

Needs to be a sticky somewhere.

SoulUnison

Banned
I don't get it. I just don't.
I was banned from ERA again today, this time permanently, again for "transphobic content."

Like, I'm seriously tearing up a little bit right now because the only reason I'd even wander into a thread like that and participate is because I want to clash my ideals and come to a better understanding of this growing population and issue, but it genuinely seems like if you have something to say that can even be slightly construed as negative you're immediately ripped apart.

Would someone please read my comments and tell me what I did that was so offensive?

I just cannot understand, and this is twice now that the moderation team there has banned me when, if they took the time to know me, they'd realize that a lot of experiences run parallel and I just want to be understanding and informed because I see this community in the middle of a very similar struggle that I've had with gay acceptance. I'm obviously not hostile, or flippant or aggressively ignorant, so what am I doing wrong? I entered the thread, read the entire thing, spent more than an hour reading through posted links and learning terms and trying to gain context, and now I'm just...deleted, when my comments were neutral, at worst.

I'm sitting here reading through ERA's FAQs now and it's SO frustrating to see how the way I've been reacted to doesn't even follow their own guidelines.
I've been on GAF for a decade and was never once banned or warned. I've been on ERA just the couple months it's been open and have been banned twice, now permanently.

The FAQ states that bans "start at 24 hours," but my first ban ever was the one I mention earlier in this thread, and that was for a week. Now my second ban ever is permanent?
The FAQ states that if you have any questions or concerns about moderation, you should contact the mod team, but you can't do that or even get their contact information unless you're an active, non-banned member.

I'm just so legitimately upset. I was really trying to participate in that discussion in good faith and to come to a better understanding of a bundle of really complicated and subjective issues, and that's not good enough, somehow.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I was banned from ERA again today, this time permanently, again for "transphobic content."

Like, I'm seriously tearing up a little bit right now because the only reason I'd even wander into a thread like that and participate is because I want to clash my ideals and come to a better understanding of this growing population and issue, but it genuinely seems like if you have something to say that can even be slightly construed as negative you're immediately ripped apart.

Would someone please read my comments and tell me what I did that was so offensive?

I just cannot understand, and this is twice now that the moderation team there has banned me when, if they took the time to know me, they'd realize that a lot of experiences run parallel and I just want to be understanding and informed because I see this community in the middle of a very similar struggle that I've had with gay acceptance. I'm obviously not hostile, or flippant or aggressively ignorant, so what am I doing wrong? I entered the thread, read the entire thing, spent more than an hour reading through posted links and learning terms and trying to gain context, and now I'm just...deleted, when my comments were neutral, at worst.

I'm sitting here reading through ERA's FAQs now and it's SO frustrating to see how the way I've been reacted to doesn't even follow their own guidelines.
I've been on GAF for a decade and was never once banned or warned. I've been on ERA just the couple months it's been open and have been banned twice, now permanently.

The FAQ states that bans "start at 24 hours," but my first ban ever was the one I mention earlier in this thread, and that was for a week. Now my second ban ever is permanent?
The FAQ states that if you have any questions or concerns about moderation, you should contact the mod team, but you can't do that or even get their contact information unless you're an active, non-banned member.

I'm just so legitimately upset. I was really trying to participate in that discussion in good faith and to come to a better understanding of a bundle of really complicated and subjective issues, and that's not good enough, somehow.

You're upset because you're good people as far as I've seen and you weren't treated that way or given a fair shot from what you describe. I have a little experience with that too, as it happens.

Come on home and stay as long as you'd like here. Every good poster who participates in discussions here does that much more to rebuild a solid foundation for years to come that we can all appreciate the end results of.

Bryank75

Banned

"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans, but this is our hill. And these are our beans!" Naked Gun
Hope you feel better.

mrkgoo

Doesn't sound very fair, and if that's the case you shouldn't concern yourself too much about it. Like why be upset about it.

SoulUnison

Banned
Doesn't sound very fair, and if that's the case you shouldn't concern yourself too much about it. Like why be upset about it.

I think what really gets me is the sense of "community."

Like, I've been a GAF/ERA reader for more than a decade and a poster for 7 years.
Suddenly, because one particularly sensitive or malicious individual took needless offense to my comments, I'm cast out and separated from all the friends and acquaintances I've made on these sites over these years.

I never bothered to gather a mass of contact information or anything because I've never been one who was in danger of being "banned."
I'm not hostile or inflammatory, and I genuinely feel terrible when I learn that someone has been negatively affected by something I've said or done.
The idea that I would suddenly and somewhat randomly lose access to one of my peer groups just never really crossed my mind.

I can't help but feel that ERA, in a sense, sort of kidnapped GAF's community with the fear of being "left behind" in the transition, and now they're sort of being held hostage.

mrkgoo

Like, I've been a GAF/ERA reader for more than a decade and a poster for 7 years.
Suddenly, because one particularly sensitive or malicious individual took needless offense to my comments, I'm cast out and separated from all the friends and acquaintances I've made on these sites over these years.

I never bothered to gather a mass of contact information or anything because I've never been one who was in danger of being "banned."
I'm not hostile or inflammatory, and I genuinely feel terrible when I learn that someone has been negatively affected by something I've said or done.
The idea that I would suddenly and somewhat randomly lose access to one of my peer groups just never really crossed my mind.

I can't help but feel that ERA, in a sense, sort of kidnapped GAF's community with the fear of being "left behind" in the transition, and now they're sort of being held hostage.
I can understand that feeling.

When things came to a head here a few months ago, I had a similar reaction. GAF had become my home page for the internet in many ways.

I participated in several threads and "communities" on here so when everything up and vanished it left a real vacuum.

I got wind of the alternatives that were cropping up, but didn't join any. Instead, I retreated to some slower paced places I occasionally visited, and reflected on what an Internet forum actually meant to me.

Like what was I really getting out of participating?

I discovered, for me, it was a lot of things, like some actual meaningful engagement, a lot of just news seeking, some feed back, but also a lot of circular approval-seeking.

I learnt I'm kinda nobody really. I post things that don't matter. That don't make a difference to anything in the end.

But ultimately, the space I was forced to have showed me also that I spent a lot of time on forums without actual any productive outcome. So much time on just clicking random threads because I had nothing else to do.

So in light of all that, I actually felt a bit of relief. That's not to say I regret anything. It is what it is. I've grown and learned a lot on time here. In that vein, I still appreciate being here, but also appreciate the slower pace.

In the end, I learnt that these forums are great, but not the be all and end all of things. Crap happens, and you move on.

SoulUnison SoulUnison you you've been hit by

You got struck by

A SweetNicole!

Yeah man I got got once already on an identical topic. Zero Tolerance policy, (ironically).

I’m guessing “receipts” is the latest internet buzzword?

The internet interview Whitney Houston gave was in 2012. You kind of late to the party there

Last edited:

Dunki

This is how it works there. The moment you say something they do not agree with you are pure trash and not even worth listening or reason with. Do not let this make you stop posting here. It is always great to have different opinion from different views or positions. That is the only way we as society can evolve and coexist.

As for the transition. They made it really clear that everyone who stays there will be called a sexist, right wing asshole. So many also were pressured into this groupthink. Era makes it really impossible to talk in a real manner. Every word there needs to be considered when you disagree with some people there.

Here I do not feel pressured that my opinion would be silenced even If I disagree with this. here I could easily talk about how the Last of US 2 trailer was not misogyntsiic because it did show women getting beaten and tortured. And yes this was the ban reason for me. I argued about a fucking video game trailer....

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is how it works there. The moment you say something they do not agree with you are pure trash and not even worth listening or reason with. Do not let this make you stop posting here. It is always great to have different opinion from different views or positions. That is the only way we as society can evolve and coexist.

As for the transition. They made it really clear that everyone who stays there will be called a sexist, right wing asshole. So many also were pressured into this groupthink. Era makes it really impossible to talk in a real manner. Every word there needs to be considered when you disagree with some people there.

Here I do not feel pressured that my opinion would be silenced even If I disagree with this. here I could easily talk about how the Last of US 2 trailer was not misogyntsiic because it did show women getting beaten and tortured. And yes this was the ban reason for me. I argued about a fucking video game trailer....

Agreed wholeheartedly. You are forced to think a very specific way using a very narrow world view to not be silenced/banned - as has been said ad nauseam since discussion opened back up over here. The moderation and vocal minority (or is it vocal majority at this point?) go out of their way to find something to be offended about, to find a reason to create outrage. For example, this comic:
They+should+remember+what+happened+to+speedy+gonzales+_639c789ad012c41d3a8f4f5f3d8fe63e.jpg

This is a rather mundane one that was posted for a time - but someone became offended by it and tried to find a reason why it should be banned. Well, apparently the person who had created this comic was Pro-GamerGate at one time during the height of GamerGate years back. This obviously means that anyone who posted this comic was an alt-right supporting asshole who deserved a permanent ban.

DKehoe

People left because that's where the community went and that community was in jeopardy on neoGAF. But no one is being held hostage on Resetera. If people on Resetera wanted to come back to neoGAF then they would. People here now seem to have this cartoonish idea of what the Resetera community is, but it's just what used to be the neoGAF community. It's moved on and so should this site.

zelo-ca

People left because that's where the community went and that community was in jeopardy on neoGAF. But no one is being held hostage on Resetera. If people on Resetera wanted to come back to neoGAF then they would. People here now seem to have this cartoonish idea of what the Resetera community is, but it's just what used to be the neoGAF community. It's moved on and so should this site.

Move to a site where my views will be banned in 1 second hell no! This site can finally host debate and should never move to ERA

DKehoe

Move to a site where my views will be banned in 1 second hell no! This site can finally host debate and should never move to ERA

Apologies if I was unclear but I'm by no means saying you or anyone else should move. If you prefer GAF then that's great, stay here and keep contributing! I just don't think people should be making sweeping generalisations about either side. People claim things like everyone on resetera just wants an echo chamber or that they are being held hostage there. But that's totally unfair to them. Just as it is to claim that everyone on GAF is alt right. There are plenty of reasons to prefer one site over the other.

I do agree that it seems like the politic threads are the ones that do get the most attention in off topic. Nothing wrong discussing politics but I missed some of the old threads or users discussing other things.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I do agree that it seems like the politic threads are the ones that do get the most attention in off topic. Nothing wrong discussing politics but I missed some of the old threads or users discussing other things.

That will return over time. You have to remember that the community was very one sided and didn't allow for open discussion on many topics under the old moderation team. With the freedom obtained, many people are taking advantage to talk about the things they have been wanting to talk about for years, but were unable to. Over time, this new found freedom will become old hat and other discussions will begin to arise.

Shower Fairy

Neo Member
getting bans and warnings for "Arguing in bad faith" - but they aren't in anyway attempting group think or trying to manipulate your views.....
Sure. It's horrible over there, the ultra squeaky clean holy posters are riding such high horses you say a couple words they fall off that horse and then all onto you to beat you up for not being on their side. The place is a vacuum for discussion. It's more agree, keep in check and you'll have fun and get people patting you on the back for how very "woke" you are, what they need to understand, that outside of the bubble, people are allowed to have slightly different views, sure you won't agree with people 100% of the time, but at least you give them the respect that they're allowed that view.

Recently the JK Rowling thread, and also one about the scottish youtuber, have been absolutely insane, to the point I look and read responses and just back away, JK Rowling, more than likely did accidentally hit like, but you know. If you can create an issue and become a victim of a average fiction writer sure why the fuck not. As for the youtuber, they see OH GOOD NAZI DOWN. What they don't see is if you can prosecute over a joke, then where does that stop? I mean stop and search for terrorism bag searches are now used as standard practice to check anyone over. So what's to stop someone who was offended claiming hate crime because X and then you're in jail for a joke, and or small comment, with how much you're labled there, I wouldn't be shocked if the mods and posters didn't try throw a case together for being transphobic, a nazi, or misogynist view, when what you actually said wasn't that at all.

I will say, one thing though, the mass reporting there is a joke. It's like "the club" have a discord and post links so they can all form attacks.
MENTAL.

Long rant sorry, thanks.

Dunki

getting bans and warnings for "Arguing in bad faith" - but they aren't in anyway attempting group think or trying to manipulate your views.....
Sure. It's horrible over there, the ultra squeaky clean holy posters are riding such high horses you say a couple words they fall off that horse and then all onto you to beat you up for not being on their side. The place is a vacuum for discussion. It's more agree, keep in check and you'll have fun and get people patting you on the back for how very "woke" you are, what they need to understand, that outside of the bubble, people are allowed to have slightly different views, sure you won't agree with people 100% of the time, but at least you give them the respect that they're allowed that view.

Recently the JK Rowling thread, and also one about the scottish youtuber, have been absolutely insane, to the point I look and read responses and just back away, JK Rowling, more than likely did accidentally hit like, but you know. If you can create an issue and become a victim of a average fiction writer sure why the fuck not. As for the youtuber, they see OH GOOD NAZI DOWN. What they don't see is if you can prosecute over a joke, then where does that stop? I mean stop and search for terrorism bag searches are now used as standard practice to check anyone over. So what's to stop someone who was offended claiming hate crime because X and then you're in jail for a joke, and or small comment, with how much you're labled there, I wouldn't be shocked if the mods and posters didn't try throw a case together for being transphobic, a nazi, or misogynist view, when what you actually said wasn't that at all.

I will say, one thing though, the mass reporting there is a joke. It's like "the club" have a discord and post links so they can all form attacks.
MENTAL.

Long rant sorry, thanks.
They do the same with Youtube videos and Twitter posts they find offensive. Someone posted even a extension that shows you several "racist" videos which you then an mass report with one click. They are in their own fucking world there.

It's Jeff

Banned
Look, Resetera isn't the issue. How many of the people there left under the assumption that EL did something scummy? Said something inflammatory in account suicide? Have you seen a thread there, now that facts have come to light, suggesting apologies are in order? Returned here and started a new account to apologize for jumping to conclusions?

Hell no, it didn't and won't happen. You know who those offenders are and that personal reflection isn't the operating mode. Escalating righteous indignation in a woke contest is the game, and you know that. It's on you to accept that you can't change that and that vindication from snipers waiting to score woke points on semantic slip ups won't do you any favors.

JK Rowling gave 160 million dollars to charity. The problem is that she liked two tweets that potentially identifies her as a TERF and 20 pages of "milkshake duck." My God, this tiny woman who's done more for children's litereacy than any person in Earth's history must be the Devil herself. These are the people you're seeking approval from?

I lurked here for like ten years before creating an account and didn't post shit because of that crowd. This joint is getting more active and generally more positive. NeoGAF, believe.

appaws

Banned
I took an ideological ban there for a week. I'm back in, but I haven't posted again since. It's just no fun to walk on eggshells.

I do think there are good reasons for bans, but it should be more reserved for personal insults, slurs, etc.

Dunki

I took an ideological ban there for a week. I'm back in, but I haven't posted again since. It's just no fun to walk on eggshells.

I do think there are good reasons for bans, but it should be more reserved for personal insults, slurs, etc.
The problem here is also that you do not know whas allowed.

Just saying do not be racist is very vague and for everyone racist means something different these days.

Shower Fairy

Neo Member

Calling someone there " a piece of work " gave someone a warning there.... PERSONAL ATTACK

DKehoe

That will return over time. You have to remember that the community was very one sided and didn't allow for open discussion on many topics under the old moderation team. With the freedom obtained, many people are taking advantage to talk about the things they have been wanting to talk about for years, but were unable to. Over time, this new found freedom will become old hat and other discussions will begin to arise.

The thing is it's been six months and GAF is still dominated by these kinds of discussions. It's the same conversation going round and round in a loop. I want GAF to be more than people patting themselves on the back and shitting on others. People can say what they want about resetera but there's certainly more variety of conversation there.

appaws

Banned
The problem here is also that you do not know whas allowed.

Just saying do not be racist is very vague and for everyone racist means something different these days.

Right, especially when you are operating within the current parameters of what the left calls racism. Everyone agrees on explicit expressions of superiority and slurs of races....but disagreement on things like affirmative action, immigration, criminal justice reform, police behavior, etc. are also considered expressely racist if you are on the wrong side of the hivemind. Conservatives can't win. They are terrified to even mention race in any way...but even when they don't they are accused of "dog whistling." The same people who constantly remind you that the majority of welfare recipients are white accuse you of "dog whistling" if you believe in welfare reform. Well, which is it? Because it can't be both.

The thing is it's been six months and GAF is still dominated by these kinds of discussions. It's the same conversation going round and round in a loop. I want GAF to be more than people patting themselves on the back and shitting on others. People can say what they want about resetera but there's certainly more variety of conversation there.

There are a lot of conversations because there are a lot of people, but within any conversation that is even slightly socially controversial, it is very one-sided in points of view that are allowed to be expressed.

This is not directed at any one person. It is not meant to anger or upset anyone. Sorry in advance if it twists anyones nipples.

I don't care if people bring up 4chan or Resetera (for example). I don't care if people here are members there and here. I am a member here and also at guitar reddit. So I don't think anyone expects all your internet life belongs to Gaf.

I would ask that people not treat this community as your ex girlfriend, only talking to us when you and your current girlfriend are fighting. Don't treat us that way.

There was a time not long ago that we were as bad as other sites we laugh at. I hope we don't forget how far down that rabbit hole we were.

For people who come here and don't contribute because the site isn't active enough... be active. Be a leader in this community because that's what (imo) it needs. It does' need tens of thousands of people to all comment gross or disgusting. It needs members to be leaders. Active and follow the rules. To be welcoming to members new and old.

If you can post threads, do so. If you can't, PM me the thread and I'll post for you.

It's Jeff

Banned
This is not directed at any one person. It is not meant to anger or upset anyone. Sorry in advance if it twists anyones nipples.

I don't care if people bring up 4chan or Resetera (for example). I don't care if people here are members there and here. I am a member here and also at guitar reddit. So I don't think anyone expects all your internet life belongs to Gaf.

I would ask that people not treat this community as your ex girlfriend, only talking to us when you and your current girlfriend are fighting. Don't treat us that way.

There was a time not long ago that we were as bad as other sites we laugh at. I hope we don't forget how far down that rabbit hole we were.

For people who come here and don't contribute because the site isn't active enough... be active. Be a leader in this community because that's what (imo) it needs. It does' need tens of thousands of people to all comment gross or disgusting. It needs members to be leaders. Active and follow the rules. To be welcoming to members new and old.

If you can post threads, do so. If you can't, PM me the thread and I'll post for you.

There's at least half a loaf of truth in this post. Good stuff, Musky. You're slingshotting your way up my list of favorite people for a reason.

DKehoe

There are a lot of conversations because there are a lot of people, but within any conversation that is even slightly socially controversial, it is very one-sided in points of view that are allowed to be expressed.

Ok, and if that's a big part of why you prefer GAF then that's great like I said previously I'm not saying people should just all move over to Resetera. But I think the GAF community needs to start focusing more on developing itself rather than on what other sites do that's wrong. I've been on GAF for a long time and I'd like to see it grow back into a community with discussions of pretty much anything and everything going on.

I didn't post a lot back on the old version of GAF but I should try and be more active. I don't just want to just expect others to create the kinds of conversation I'm talking about.

mid83

I know it sucks but don't sweat it. To be honest, a group that is that hostile to any differing views isn't worth taking part in. I personally feel that as bad as things were in terms of one-sided views being accepted on GAF pre-exodus, it's even worse at ERA. It's sad because there are a bunch of knowledgeable people over there that could provide excellent discussion on differing viewpoints but they are so quick to name call and shut down dissent, that it's not worth it.

I have been a long time lurker here and at resetera (since shortly after its inception). I don't post a lot, mainly due to the fear of the banhammer.

I just asked for a permaban from resetera simply because I was so tired of reading the miltant-left folks there run rampant and shout down anybody who simply tries to actually discuss these things they see as immutable facts (see SoulUnison SoulUnison ). The left has become just like the fear driven religious right that they so despise and I can't believe they don't see it when they look in the mirror.

Anyways, I digress. I just wanted to say that I am another left leaning (alt right to some) individual that appreciates that the discussion here is no longer driven by ideologues and hope to have many fruitful discussions going forward.

I have been a long time lurker here and at resetera (since shortly after its inception). I don't post a lot, mainly due to the fear of the banhammer.

I just asked for a permaban from resetera simply because I was so tired of reading the miltant-left folks there run rampant and shout down anybody who simply tries to actually discuss these things they see as immutable facts (see SoulUnison SoulUnison ). The left has become just like the fear driven religious right that they so despise and I can't believe they don't see it when they look in the mirror.

Anyways, I digress. I just wanted to say that I am another left leaning (alt right to some) individual that appreciates that the discussion here is no longer driven by ideologues and hope to have many fruitful discussions going forward.
If you haven't already, post in here https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-official-neogaf-introduce-yourself-thread.1460728/ welcome back

Last edited:
Can i ask? Why a permaban? Whats the point? Why not just stop going there?

I didn't do it in a public way, I actually reported a really rude and shitty comment on the Jordan Peterson thread in which the user said everybody who listens to him is a complete idiot. That kind of blanket statement shouldn't fly. Whether you like Peterson or not you can't dispute that he is a tenured professor of psychology at the university of toronto. The fact that the user who wrote the message I reported didn't get a warning just reinforced my decision. Sweet Nicole messaged me back and asked if I was sure and I said hell yea!

I had emailed them previously asking to have my account deleted seeing as I didn't want to inflate their membership numbers but got zero response via email and twitter. I should have probably gone all in on the people who were irritating me but I have anger issues and knew it would only make me look worse by losing my temper. I don't like to let people know when they get under my skin. lol

Last edited:

Relativ9

I didn't do it in a public way, I actually reported a really rude and shitty comment on the Jordan Peterson thread in which the user said everybody who listens to him is a complete idiot. That kind of blanket statement shouldn't fly. Whether you like Peterson or not you can't dispute that he is a tenured professor of psychology at the university of toronto. The fact that the user who wrote the message I reported didn't get a warning just reinforced my decision. Sweet Nicole messaged me back and asked if I was sure and I said hell yea!

I had emailed them previously asking to have my account deleted seeing as I didn't want to inflate their membership numbers but got zero response via email and twitter. I should have probably gone all in on the people who were irritating me but I have anger issues and knew it would only make me look worse by losing my temper. I don't like to let people know when they get under my skin. lol

Aah gotcha, yeah i didn't consider the membership numbers, makes sense.

dolabla

I wouldn't sweat it too much man. It's not your fault. That place is a joke. There's nothing you can do to reason with some of the people that infest that place. They have no desire to have real discussions over there.

Aah gotcha, yeah i didn't consider the membership numbers, makes sense.

It is also a bit of closure for me if that makes sense. I can't count the number of times I wrote up a reply only to second guess myself and delete it later before posting. I can't stand the fact that I have to be more concerned with the perception of what I wrote more than the intent. Big Brother vibes are definitely strong on that site.

This to me is a perfect example of the left eating itself. You didn't meet the ridiculous standards of behavior so you are out. I am sorry you feel as if you've lost your community and hope that you can maybe find some peace here.

Dunki

I should have probably gone all in on the people who were irritating me but I have anger issues and knew it would only make me look worse by losing my temper. I don't like to let people know when they get under my skin. lol
No never do that. I will never understand people who do this especially when they were seen as all and mighty with their moral so much into their own ass that it makes you like a spoiled brat to be honest.

I also thought you wre publicly asking for a bad which is in my opinion stupid. This is totally understandable even for the membership part.

Top Bottom