• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I don't have a problem with changes, the stand-up style opening was weird but I could see it growing on me.

The new theme song though, just go the full distance and get a whole new theme song. It's just a mangled version of the previous song. It doesn't sound good at all.

I think they figured it out and I like it how they're doing now. It was weird with the cold openings but it also feels more like one of those normal late night shows and not a "parody news show"

e_i

Jesus, that Ronnie Chang segment was amazing. I don't I ever heard of a Chinese person doing a bad Chinese impersonation before.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Jesus, that Ronnie Chang segment was amazing. I don't I ever heard of a Chinese person doing a bad Chinese impersonation before.

After a couple of awkward segments, I thought Ronnie finally nailed it with that one.

Korigama

I think they figured it out and I like it how they're doing now. It was weird with the cold openings but it also feels more like one of those normal late night shows and not a "parody news show"
The cold openings kind of reminded me of The Nightly Show. Better to distance themselves from that show (which TDS remains much better than), so I can't say I'll miss them.

davepoobond

The cold openings kind of reminded me of The Nightly Show. Better to distance themselves from that show (which TDS remains much better than), so I can't say I'll miss them.

yeah, but the cold openings are more like a nighttime news show. it sort of doesnt work because they are jokes, but they were in a more serious fashion instead of how the Nightly Show does it which is more like a stand-up comedy opening.

but i agree anyhow.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Am I the only one who found that youtuber guest to be insufferable? I had never heard of her before and I have no idea what she's about, but she sounded horribly vapid.

Ahiru77

Her name is Lily "Superwoman" Singh and she's a super funny youtube comedienne. She often does these skits where she imitates her old-fashioned indian parents.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDaJi7rbjU It's really funny!!!

One of her happiest moments was meeting Dwayne Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFhwlRZwf4

The interview with on the Daily Show was kinda mediocre because Trevor had no idea how to sell her material. He probably never even seen one of her best videos. Sounded to me like he was handed notes by an intern and he didn't care to make sure to understand why Lily deserves a guest spot here. Were she talking to Jon Stewart, then Jon would've made sure to drive the conversation so that Lily, who has little experience in having to "sell" herself on a talk show, wouldn't have to put much effort in trying to be pleasant and amusing. Trevor just left her hanging a few times in the conversation.

Her name is Lily "Superwoman" Singh and she's a super funny youtube comedienne. She often does these skits where she imitates her old-fashioned indian parents.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJDaJi7rbjU It's really funny!!!

One of her happiest moments was meeting Dwayne Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFhwlRZwf4

The interview with on the Daily Show was kinda mediocre because Trevor had no idea how to sell her material. He probably never even seen one of her best videos. Sounded to me like he was handed notes by an intern and he didn't care to make sure to understand why Lily deserves a guest spot here. Were she talking to Jon Stewart, then Jon would've made sure to drive the conversation so that Lily, who has little experience in having to "sell" herself on a talk show, wouldn't have to put much effort in trying to be pleasant and amusing. Trevor just left her hanging a few times in the conversation.

This seems to be a thing for him. When he doesn't know how to progress the internview, he just seems to shut down/leave it to the guest to try and move things forward.

davepoobond

I haven't had a problem with Trevor's interviews. I didnt really like the YouTube girl either, never heard of her

SeanC

That youtuber seemed nice enough, but like a lot of Youtubers like that, I don't think she really had anything to really say. She's not really a comedian or actress, she's just a regular person who just happens to be really famous online. I don't find her particularly funny, and I don't think many like her really have a "craft" to what they do, but she has a thing coming out and has to promote it and I actually thought Trevor did fairly ok with her considering she probably doesn't have a lot to say past "I do a youtube channel watch me."

I still don't like the new way he's opening. The transitions are off and really not smooth. He doesn't have that natural "out" that Colbert has when he transitions to the desk over the opening credits, he just kind of shows up. Feels weird.

Rehynn

Gillian Jacobs was wonderful last night.

captureshop1.png

gabbo

Did Jessica just go off script? A lot of that segment felt less written and more she's just letting it all hang out on the issue.

And have to imagine Klepper at the trump rally is for a bit we'll see later.

Sethista

Was watching some jon steward daily show today, and to me it seems his daily show was a reflection of him all around. Noah is more like... performing on another person's idea of what the daily show should be.

Jon even created some dialoguw between himself and the subject using the footage, and most of it was perfect. Jon's daily show was entertaining and relevant, noah's is just entertaining. Im having a hard time adapting to the shift.

Too bad.

Keasar

Has there been a solution to watching the American version of The Daily Show? The German Comedy Central page I am watching only hosts the last 4 episodes. :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Was watching some jon steward daily show today, and to me it seems his daily show was a reflection of him all around. Noah is more like... performing on another person's idea of what the daily show should be.

Jon even created some dialoguw between himself and the subject using the footage, and most of it was perfect. Jon's daily show was entertaining and relevant, noah's is just entertaining. Im having a hard time adapting to the shift.

Too bad.

Actually it took about two years for Jon to flush the Craig Kilborn era down the tubes and impart his own imprint on the show.

FyreWulff

Actually it took about two years for Jon to flush the Craig Kilborn era down the tubes and impart his own imprint on the show.

Beat me to it. It takes a bit to remake the show into your own thing, partly because it just takes a bit, but you have to wait for people that worked on the previous show to move on.

Jon said before that the show didn't really become his until he was able to not have Craig's old staff around, because he found them to be way too mean for his style.

I think the two biggest problems with this show are:

- Noah isn't really making it his own and finding his own voice.

- The writing seems to have gotten quite a bit worse since Stewart left. I've been surprised at the lack of good jokes in some of the segments I've seen. The Stewart Daily Show the jokes were usually really clever and would fly thick and fast. I'm guessing they lost some key people behind the scenes?

It's still funny sometimes, but yeah, it's not quite delivering on the promise of those first couple of shows. It should get better if Noah gets a chance to carry on, though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think he is starting to breakaway from the old show already, doing things like aping The Situation Room via standing introduction and the new song remix while maybe unpopular are needed to give this show its own identity.

gabbo

I think the two biggest problems with this show are:

- Noah isn't really making it his own and finding his own voice.

- The writing seems to have gotten quite a bit worse since Stewart left. I've been surprised at the lack of good jokes in some of the segments I've seen. The Stewart Daily Show the jokes were usually really clever and would fly thick and fast. I'm guessing they lost some key people behind the scenes?

It's still funny sometimes, but yeah, it's not quite delivering on the promise of those first couple of shows. It should get better if Noah gets a chance to carry on, though.

I feel like, if anything, the show was at one of its weakest points up until he announced he was leaving. It still blew away most other shows, but a lot of it felt like autopilot.
To the second point, I think a few left with Sam Bee for her show, and it is going to take time for the remaining team to gel with Trevor's voice. It won't come right away, even if it's not at all like the Kilborn->Stewart shift in tone/style

I think it goes without saying that the writing has declined in quality, if only to the extent that those responsible aren't really sure what direction they want to go in yet. And, without Jon, some of the show's signature depth has been lost.

Unlike Jon's tenure, Trevor has yet to add anything to the national narrative with his coverage. It's friendly to new viewers to the extent it's more easily consumed in "chunks," so to speak, but it's also (comparatively) shallow so far. With that said, I do not want to give off the impression that I dislike Noah. I've liked his stint a great deal so far, and plan on sticking with him long-term. He will find his voice for the show in due course.

On the other hand, the correspondents' field pieces have been uniformly excellent under Noah. I have not seen a dip in quality with these, personally. Klepper's "Good Guy with a Gun," in particular, was outstanding.

gabbo

Ugh, what a bad week to take off.

The amazing Republican debate, Scalia's death, W teaming with Jeb!, Trump vs. the Pope...incredible stuff.

That's been the classic Daily Show trope. Take a week off, huge news occurs that week, meaning Monday will go over a lot in the opening segment

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Why the hell do they take a full week off for each single holiday? o_O

They only a set number of shows a year. If they didn't take off a week this week it would have been another week. May as well do it on the weeks when they would have been off for 1 of the days anyway.

linsivvi

I would be very disappointed if Trevor doesn't make fun of Anderson Cooper's softball fest town hall.

Do you like EDM? Do you sing to your wife? It's like these people were promoting their latest movie or something.

This is the kind of media bullshit that Jon Stewart always called out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom