• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was watching some jon steward daily show today, and to me it seems his daily show was a reflection of him all around. Noah is more like... performing on another person's idea of what the daily show should be.

Jon even created some dialoguw between himself and the subject using the footage, and most of it was perfect. Jon's daily show was entertaining and relevant, noah's is just entertaining. Im having a hard time adapting to the shift.

Too bad.

I called that much too.

The problem is the writing and the format is still Stewart, but Trevor Noah just doesn't fit that format.

At least they seem to be catching on. It's been encouraging to see them changing the format here and there, letting his standup for segments.

And honestly, he has to follow up Stewart in a world where Colbert and John Oliver are around, that wouldn't be easy for anyone.
I'd like to think Stewart saw something in Noah, and it'll just take some time to find his voice.

linsivvi

I called that much too.

The problem is the writing and the format is still Stewart, but Trevor Noah just doesn't fit that format.

At least they seem to be catching on. It's been encouraging to see them changing the format here and there, letting his standup for segments.

And honestly, he has to follow up Stewart in a world where Colbert and John Oliver are around, that wouldn't be easy for anyone.
I'd like to think Stewart saw something in Noah, and it'll just take some time to find his voice.
Don't forget Samantha Bee. She's already killing it.

linsivvi

I agree. My biggest problem with Trevor still is he laughs at his own jokes too much.

The worst part is the interviews. Dead air in a talk show is a big warning sign, even if it's just for half a second. Right now the show is still watchable because all the correspondents are carrying it.

RoKKeR

Haven't watched much after my daily schedule/routine changed this year... just watched the KKK segment though and thought it was solid. Does he only do standing segments now?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, I miss Colbert too. Was reading his America Again book and I sometimes had tears from all the laughing.

How's his new show btw? Since it's an hour long format and he dropped the character I wasn't interested, but does he still do political satire at all?

Silexx

John took the wrong time to leave The Daily Show. He would of been killing it right now.

No, he chose the exact right time to leave because if he was going to give his successor a fighting chance, then it had to be during the election season.

That said, I feel that all the Daily Show alumni who are essentially carrying on his legacy have kinda failed to do so. (I'm talk Trevor as well as John Oliver, Stephen Colbert and Samantha Bee.) Because while they've been skewering Trump and all that, if Jon was still around, he'd be taking the media to task for essentially letting Trump get away with a that he has. No one has seemed to be willing to hold the media to account for their role on all of this so far.

Yeah, I miss Colbert too. Was reading his America Again book and I sometimes had tears from all the laughing.

How's his new show btw? Since it's an hour long format and he dropped the character I wasn't interested, but does he still do political satire at all?

To me it's like a hour long Colbert Report depending on the subject matter. It's a great show, but again it may vary due to what the subject he is talking about.

Samantha Bee was the one that should of hosted The Daily Show. A woman and an extension of Jon Stewart. Trevor Noah was new and he got the job because he's eye candy.

linsivvi

He's gotten a lot better since first joining the show. He's a long way from Jordan Klepper or Jessica Williams, but he's getting there.

I think his pre-recorded segments are all fine. It's only when he's in front of a live audience that he becomes terrible. Maybe stage fright?

He's gotten a lot better since first joining the show. He's a long way from Jordan Klepper or Jessica Williams, but he's getting there.

Jessica Williams, Jordan Klepper, and Roy Wood Jr are all top-tier correspondents. I think Ronnie's problem seems to be that his bit tends to revolve around a character that he doesn't have the acting chops to pull off. He didn't use the "desperate for the approval of a distant father" character in this segment.

undrtakr900

Man, I love Roy Wood Jr. his remote segments are always great, especially anything with race.
"That's why I always have a white guy with a camera filming me at all times." lmao

John took the wrong time to leave The Daily Show. He would of been killing it right now.
It probably would have killed him

I agree, doing 16 years of covering all the corruption in government/politics and seeing little to nothing change can drive a person crazy. In post-Daily Show interview John even said how "depressing" it was covering all the "bullshit" in the news everyday was.

Basically this picture says it all of his demeanor:
CVvUp7mWEAAs9nA.jpg

Keasar

I agree, doing 16 years of covering all the corruption in government/politics and seeing little to nothing change can drive a person crazy. In post-Daily Show interview John even said how "depressing" it was covering all the "bullshit" in the news everyday was.

Basically this picture says it all of his demeanor:
CVvUp7mWEAAs9nA.jpg

That 2015 episode was absolutely heartbreaking, I remembered clearly how passionate he was about the issue in 2010 and how the Senate would gather the following days after his show aired to solve it.

The aftermath despite all that however, those empty chairs, I can see why it was probably the best for Jon to leave the show after all these years. :(

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Man, I love Roy Wood Jr. his remote segments are always great, especially anything with race.
"That's why I always have a white guy with a camera filming me at all times." lmao

He's the best new thing about the show. Trevor has been sort of vanilla (ironically?) so far. His "make fun of Americans" voice is pretty funny though.

The Graham interview tonight was absolutely fucking bonkers. Everyone should check it out. I'm even going to go online to watch the "uncut" version. The man was a complete train wreck.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
About that episode where they talk about the media coverage of Trump giving Trump what he wants... I'm a bit disappointed they seemed oblivious to the irony of them also covering Trump constantly... :p

Keasar

About that episode where they talk about the media coverage of Trump giving Trump what he wants... I'm a bit disappointed they seemed oblivious to the irony of them also covering Trump constantly... :p

Though I would believe The Daily Show is more critical of Trump than news networks who just shows what he is saying, but it is true, the irony is that they show him almost every show. :p

Silexx

I do like Trevor and what he's done so far, but even I have to admit that if Jon was still there, he would have hammered the media way before than Trevor did.

I agree. The piece really didn't work for me because of that. They've been too willing to ride the Trump train to pull that shit.

aliengmr

I wonder how much of an impact TDS would have had on the primary if Jon were still around.

Really thought Trevor would get more "comfortable?" hosting, but there is something missing. Out of the gate I thought did better than Larry Wilmore, but he hasn't developed the the sort of connection Jon had with the audience that I hoped he would. I haven't given up on the show yet though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I do like Trevor and what he's done so far, but even I have to admit that if Jon was still there, he would have hammered the media way before than Trevor did.
Nah man that's revisionist history. Do you remember when Trump first started appearing in the earliest moments of the campaigning and Jon Stewart would giggle and gloat and even thank the man for making his job so fun because he was a never-ending source of amusement? I even recall him doing exactly that:

giphy.gif

Of course, in Jon's defense, this was before Trump became a serious candidate and I suppose he never expected that it would happen, and he'd probably have changed his tune accordingly, but yeah... ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom