• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Graham interview tonight was absolutely fucking bonkers. Everyone should check it out. I'm even going to go online to watch the "uncut" version. The man was a complete train wreck.
Lollll. He was in complete meltdown mode.
Just saw the episode. I was expecting uh, something else from those comments, really. If anything I found him surprisingly honest, lol. What do you mean by train wreck/meltdown?

zIU9g1U.gif

That was an awesome moment.
Yeah that was an amazing zinger, on the spot too. xD

The Lindsey Graham interview last night was something amazing lol Probably the best interview Trevor has done. Graham was so frank and blunt about hating both Trump & Cruz.

Silexx

Of course, in Jon's defense, this was before Trump became a serious candidate and I suppose he never expected that it would happen, and he'd probably have changed his tune accordingly, but yeah... ^^

That's what I mean. Jon would have certainly played along for a bit, but I am sure he would have seen the tide coming and begun to realize that the media was basically fuelling the Trump train. At that point, we would have most certainly zeroed in on them much earlier than Trevor did.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just saw the episode. I was expecting uh, something else from those comments, really. If anything I found him surprisingly honest, lol. What do you mean by train wreck/meltdown?

Yeah that was an amazing zinger, on the spot too. xD

He was just sounded so defeated like yeah I'm done. Felt like a meltdown since he got wrecked with evidence and had nothing to respond with. He was going to take an L no matter what. I guess meltdown probably wasn't the best way to describe it though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Wow. I picked the wrong night to not watch TDS. This is the most active this thread has been since Trevor took over. I just started the episode off the dvr. Time to see what all the fuss is about.

Nah man that's revisionist history. Do you remember when Trump first started appearing in the earliest moments of the campaigning and Jon Stewart would giggle and gloat and even thank the man for making his job so fun because he was a never-ending source of amusement? I even recall him doing exactly that:

giphy.gif

Of course, in Jon's defense, this was before Trump became a serious candidate and I suppose he never expected that it would happen, and he'd probably have changed his tune accordingly, but yeah... ^^

Yea, I love Jon but he said the same thing Les Moonves did about Trump way before Moonves did. Essentially thanking Trump for giving him unlimited material right before his retirement so he could go out on a high note. In Jon's defense though this was way back when Trump was the far fetched 'joke' candidate and not the front runner of the GOP.

gabbo

I thought Graham was actually fantastic. He was genuinely cracking me up.

I'm surprised he would even go on the show to begin with, let alone be a half decent guest (from a certain point of view). My guess is, while he did come off as somewhat unrealistically broken down, it's part of a GOP strategy appearing to back away from Tea Party style rhetoric. Even if it's all an act, it's to keep moderates on side, convince them they aren't the massive dumpster fire we (and I'm using that to encompass everyone) think they are.

I'm surprised he would even go on the show to begin with, let alone be a half decent guest (from a certain point of view). My guess is, while he did come off as somewhat unrealistically broken down, it's part of a GOP strategy appearing to back away from Tea Party style rhetoric. Even if it's all an act, it's to keep moderates on side, convince them they aren't the massive dumpster fire we (and I'm using that to encompass everyone) think they are.

I don't know. I think people are being a little too hard on him, to be honest. He's been acting this way for awhile now. And while he's no doubt he bares responsibility for the circus we're now seeing in the GOP, I think much of his feelings are genuine. I do understand why people have their guard up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxn9hM0DYw

This was from a couple years ago. I truly believe he's doing some soul searching and I would like to see more of this from moderates.

"- So who's like being shot, and who's poision?"
"- Well Donald is a shot to the head. For poision, there might be an antidote."

Well played. :)

linsivvi

I don't know. I think people are being a little too hard on him, to be honest. He's been acting this way for awhile now. And while he's no doubt he bares responsibility for the circus we're now seeing in the GOP, I think much of his feelings are genuine. I do understand why people have their guard up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mxn9hM0DYw

This was from a couple years ago. I truly believe he's doing some soul searching and I would like to see more of this from moderates.

He also turned against the FBI in the Apple case, which is the last person I expected to do that.

undrtakr900

That 2015 episode was absolutely heartbreaking, I remembered clearly how passionate he was about the issue in 2010 and how the Senate would gather the following days after his show aired to solve it.

The aftermath despite all that however, those empty chairs, I can see why it was probably the best for Jon to leave the show after all these years. :(
Exactly, also I don't know how Jon would be reacting to Trump's political success, he was excited at first cause it just seemed like Trump would be a passing fade he can joke on, but he's here to stay.

He's the best new thing about the show. Trevor has been sort of vanilla (ironically?) so far. His "make fun of Americans" voice is pretty funny though.
Well the host had always been "vanilla" when competed to the more eccentric correspondents. His Ben Carson impression is spot on though and I loved when he ripped into Carson for saying Obama "isn't black enough". I think Trevor is doing a fine job (which is easy when you have a great team behind you), though he doesn't have the same passion as Jon on issues.

gabbo

Exactly, also I don't know how Jon would be reacting to Trump's political success, he was excited at first cause it just seemed like Trump would be a passing fade he can joke on, but he's here to stay.

Well the host had always been "vanilla" when competed to the more eccentric correspondents. His Ben Carson impression is spot on though and I loved when he ripped into Carson for saying Obama "isn't black enough". I think Trevor is doing a fine job (which is easy when you have a great team behind you), though he doesn't have the same passion as Jon on issues.

I think he is quite passionate about certain issues, they just havent been touched`upon the news yet, so we haven`t seen. them.

Clydefrog

W. Kamau Bell was absolutely hilarious! He's like the black Seth Rogen

Also, Trevor's bit about Cruz and the 100 cans of soup was amazing.

gabbo

W. Kamau Bell was absolutely hilarious! He's like the black Seth Rogen

Also, Trevor's bit about Cruz and the 100 cans of soup was amazing.

I'm actually glad he did the soup can stack, as my mind was like "That doesn't seem like so many." But uh yeah... it is.
Ted Cruz...

gabbo

Just saw the segment/sketch. Trevor didn't hold back with the impersonation. I kept thinking "He's in the room. He's standing right there next to you!"

It's not like he was really laying into him. The impression is pretty good, but he tossed him a few softballs during the interview and the debate was mostly for laughs. This was not Jon swimming around the stage as Glenn Beck in front of a chalkboard levels of satire.

Yeah, I miss Colbert too. Was reading his America Again book and I sometimes had tears from all the laughing.

How's his new show btw? Since it's an hour long format and he dropped the character I wasn't interested, but does he still do political satire at all?
Totally does satire! If you search YouTube for Colbert you can view his channel and sort by date. Pick and choose the comedy bits, skip the celeb interviews. He's pretty generous with the uploads, so that's how I keep up with him. I don't have time to watch an hour-long CBS prime time talk show every night.

Chariot

Really liked the Sikh bit, especially them stating that they don't want to throw another community under the bus to save their own.

linsivvi

Trevor's interviews suck.

Yep. He's a terrible interviewer. Jon wasn't great when he's interviewing uninteresting celebrities, but Trevor's are almost always bad.

Like that time when he had Lindsay Graham on after he endorsed Ted Cruz. It should have been comedy gold, yet he somehow made it boring.

Colbert, on the other hand, is on another level. One night he would be bantering with O'Reilly and on another night he would be drinking shots with Dakota Johnson and he made them both entertaining.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Totally does satire! If you search YouTube for Colbert you can view his channel and sort by date. Pick and choose the comedy bits, skip the celeb interviews. He's pretty generous with the uploads, so that's how I keep up with him. I don't have time to watch an hour-long CBS prime time talk show every night.
Interesting. Thanks, I'll check that out some time. I miss Colbert's satire. I wonder how it works without his character.

Back on topic: yes, I agree Trevor isn't a very good interviewer. Jon wasn't always good either but sometimes he did come up with interesting questions or entertaining banter. And also I hate how they sometimes have musical segments now (one thing I didn't like about the Colbert report either), especially since Trevor has shit taste. :p

Still enjoy the show of course, and hopefully Trevor will become a better interviewer over the years. He's still new at this so I'm cutting him some slack.

Cagey

Banned
I saw Michelle Wolf (believe that's her name) at the Comedy Cellar this week.

Her standup is much better than the on-screen correspondent work I've seen from her.

Yep. He's a terrible interviewer. Jon wasn't great when he's interviewing uninteresting celebrities, but Trevor's are almost always bad.

Like that time when he had Lindsay Graham on after he endorsed Ted Cruz. It should have been comedy gold, yet he somehow made it boring.

Colbert, on the other hand, is on another level. One night he would be bantering with O'Reilly and on another night he would be drinking shots with Dakota Johnson and he made them both entertaining.

Dude, what? I agree Noah isn't anywhere near Stewart or Colbert's level, but picking the Graham bit as an example is bizarre. That shit was hilarious!

Did anyone watch the interview Stew Beef did with David Axelrod?

If you think retirement would soften him, you're wrong. He seems absolutely miserable regarding politics.

Chariot

The last episode started of weak, but the canadian segment was amazing. Looking forward to seeing the head of my favourite north america country tomorrow.

I saw Michelle Wolf (believe that's her name) at the Comedy Cellar this week.

Her standup is much better than the on-screen correspondent work I've seen from her.

Yep...couldn't make it through her bit on the show from the 26th. She said something funny/"edgy", audience laughed but acted surprised, and she broke away from the routine to reassure the audience that Bill Clinton needs to be kept on a leash, while she was laughing the whole time. The whole episode sucked, though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Not a big fan of the new correspondents besides Roy and Desi.

The show is certainly different and not for the better. Trevor is OK but he lacks the passion that Stewart had and it makes the show not feel as meaningful as it did before. I guess it's something we've got to get used to because Trevor is never going to be the guy to show genuine emotion over the state of politics in the US. I also miss how prepared Jon was for all of his interviews. Trevor is just too topical and maybe that's what TDS is going for now but there are already many different night talk shows that fill that superfluous gap.

The new correspondents are the best thing about the show. How can you not like Jessica Williams, Jordan Klepper, and Hasan Minahj? I also like Ronny.

The new correspondents are the best thing about the show. How can you not like Jessica Williams, Jordan Klepper, and Hasan Minahj? I also like Ronny.

Jordan Klepper isn't really new on the show anymore, since he started there before John Stewart even announced he was leaving, but he is by far the best correspondent they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom