• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fight: Lights Out |OT| of Trejo, Soreness, and Move Controllers

UntoldDreams said:
Transparency works well this is pretty cool!
I was concerned they might overdo it but it actually is good.

You can now use any camera angle from the back side and never lose track of what the opponents arms are doing. You can clearly focus on the opponent now instead of having to infer what they were doing.

Totally agree, and I am also happy they didn't compromise and make it a fixed distance game.

Okay, which media outlets criticised the precision and controls of this game?

They need to be shot. To say I am impressed is an understatement.

The patch works great. Not overdone and you can still see everything. Perfectly balanced.

Frame rate hasn't changed either. From what I understand, that was an issue with the developer at first.

Hahaha... The Duke DLC patch is coming out Dec 15.

You get to play as the man Danny Trejo.
That's hilarious they modeled him.

screenshot_242580_thumb300.jpg

danny-trejo.jpg

On a negative note someone reported some "cheating" online. I saw a youtube that someone was indestructible but I don't know if its real. I haven't seen it personally but then again I suppose its not impossible to do since its not a dedicated server game.

** Keep your eyes open!
If you run into something "obviously cheating" then drop the match and at least let us know the name of the glitcher.

It just struck me instead of "glitching" maybe they just bought every bit of Power Up DLC plus they also already had stats. That might make them... very tough?

** After all the Power Up DLC is probably equivalent to Maxed out stats. If someone was willing to pay $15 extra for "PowerUp DLC" for a $40 game it would not be surprising.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UntoldDreams said:
It just struck me instead of "glitching" maybe they just bought every bit of Power Up DLC plus they also already had stats. That might make them... very tough?

** After all the Power Up DLC is probably equivalent to Maxed out stats. If someone was willing to pay $15 extra for "PowerUp DLC" for a $40 game it would not be surprising.

Just in terms of how the stats work, they should never make a fighter totally untouchable. That's not how it works at all IRL. Doesn't matter how much you train, there's always that puncher's chance.

The guy I ran into who was impossible to even scratch... That's pure BS. Dunno what max stats are in the game, but you'd think 80 str would at least do a pixel's worth of damage. The connection glitched out before the dude actually tried to do anything.

kitch9

Banned
This game is tough if you don't know how to punch, or punch like a bitch. I've done a few boxing sessions so I know how to jab, hook and uppercut as its all the trainer did for the first few weeks was have me punching a bag over and over.

I picked the game up straight away, but my mrs who has a tendency to windmill her punches and step forward was soon punching her own character in the back of the head. It took me a good 30 mins to get her to plant her feet and punch without moving. She threw a couple of paddys saying the game did not work during me trying to tell her what to do as would she fuck keep her feet still.

I can imagine some of the tubby sweaty reviewers were throwing girly wafts whilst running round the room and getting nowhere, so I can see why the game would piss them off.

The game should have had a training mode that was much more in depth about basic technique.

Freshmaker said:
Just in terms of how the stats work, they should never make a fighter totally untouchable. That's not how it works at all IRL. Doesn't matter how much you train, there's always that puncher's chance.

The guy I ran into who was impossible to even scratch... That's pure BS. Dunno what max stats are in the game, but you'd think 80 str would at least do a pixel's worth of damage. The connection glitched out before the dude actually tried to do anything.

If that's what you experienced I would hazard a guess it could be a hardware "lag switch" being experimented with. This game does not have dedicated servers so if the cheater is hosting he could be using a lag switch device to screw up network communication.

Example: prevent your attacks from registering until you get bored... Then queue up his own attacks so all he has to do is hit you one time for the machine to register a huge series of strikes.

Best answer? If you remember the name of the cheater just drop battles with him. If it really bothers you then perhaps you should host the games.

** It always amazes me that people can be such total losers that something like this is actually satisfying for them? Winning in a fighting game against another guy by cheating is fun? Talk about low, low, low self esteem.

Freshmaker said:

Yeah... In ranked matches there's not much we can do other than drop the fight if someone is glitching the system somehow.

If glitching is too easy then the top of the leaderboards will be pretty easy to identify the cheaters. Fortunately, since we have direct communication with the devs we might be able to raise some flags if its truly outrageous.

I went ahead and setup the Community Thread for The Fight so we can start doing some GAF matches for practice & training.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24691169#post24691169

Everyone join that thread so we can coordinate some "practice fights".
Don't be shy. Its good to give (pain) to your fellow man.

As far as scheduling goes that's a good question. I think at first we might as well compile a list of names and then try to see when people have free time.

** How about we try to setup a practice tournament?

Cruzader

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
I went ahead and setup the Community Thread for The Fight so we can start doing some GAF matches for practice & training.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24691169#post24691169

Everyone join that thread so we can coordinate some "practice fights".
Don't be shy. Its good to give (pain) to your fellow man.

As far as scheduling goes that's a good question. I think at first we might as well compile a list of names and then try to see when people have free time.

** How about we try to setup a practice tournament?
Sounds cool but I haven't played in a while. Ill join once I work/ train my character.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just picked this game up. I initially hated it because I felt like I was doing absolutely nothing to the enemies, even when I landed solid hits. Then I realized I accidentally skipped over the "add points" section where you can boost up your strength, etc. The game is much better now. :lol

I kind of wonder how many reviewers did the same thing I did? That menu should be unskippable until you use up all your points IMO.

My arms feel like jelly, but I'm diggin this game. Bought it right when the transparency patch hit, and new too. :D

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
chubigans said:
Just picked this game up. I initially hated it because I felt like I was doing absolutely nothing to the enemies, even when I landed solid hits. Then I realized I accidentally skipped over the "add points" section where you can boost up your strength, etc. The game is much better now. :lol

I kind of wonder how many reviewers did the same thing I did? That menu should be unskippable until you use up all your points IMO.
It's still doable for the first few enemies even if you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFm8HxUeQEE

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wanted to rent this first... to see if I like it. But no rental place around here has a copy. I'm thinking I might just buy it. I need a MOVE game to counteract my right-arm tiredness from ping pong. I figured I could buy this and play mostly southpaw.

I'm finding MOVE games to be a pretty good workout on my non-gym days. Run in the morning, light lifting, and 45 - 60+ mins of MOVE gaming wipes me out just as much as regular gym days. :lol

Okay... So I've been experimenting now that I have a bit more time.

PART 1
==Practice Jab Fighting

As you may know already Jabbing is a very important part of boxing offensive/defensive/probing... Its the standard tool you really have to know how to use.

(I would suggest at least reading the manga Hajime No Ippo if you have any interest in this game and know nothing about boxing)
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/hajime_no_ippo/v01/c001/

Now Freshmaker and others may have different opinion but this is what I came up with.
Assuming you are right handed you will be jabbing with your left hand.

Only use Jab for this practice its best to go into SPARRING mode for it so you don't worry about losing/winning.

*) Always start from a guarded position. I like Tyson's Peek-a-boo guard personally but just keep your hands up.
*) Jab from your left hand
--Practice getting full extension and speed into your punch
--Always return to the guard so that you can block strikes
*) Use the right stick as a joystick by holding the move button down
--move unpredictably
*) Probe the distance to the opponent in and out of attack range
*) Jab to the body and head both
*) Work on your footwork and head position to duck/bob/weave/slip attacks
*) See if you can work in a counter punch jab to throw off your opponent
*) work on jab combinations high and low

I finally got round to trying the patch (GT5 got in the way) and I like it, though the transparency is almost too subtle for me still. I did notice something else though - the framerate seems rock-solid smooth now! Smoother than it was before - the whole game just runs better. I also smoked my old target practice record, and this time started slowing down partly because I actually got tired. :) They really must have found a lot of performance when they optimised this for transparency as where I expected it to be a bit worse, it's really much better now.

Also, is this new? I can't remember there being a button that shows you the stats of the fighter your playing against in events, but now there is, and it's helping me a lot - I place some good bets now. :D More importantly, I could now see that the tournaments available work in paralel, not one after the other, in that the lowest bars have lower stats mostly across all arenas. So I slaughtered a few AI opponents tonight.

Anyway, clearly a good game got a bunch better.

Evolved1

Bought this... but have almost instant buyer's regret.

I do not like it at all.

Head tracking is frigging impossible to get working... I've tried everything. Moved lights, adjusted lighting -- I even hung sheets!

It will work for half a round and then just stop. It works just long enough to get a feel for how stupid the game is without it. Honestly, I find it pretty pointless and extremely frustrating w/o HT.

The game is not 1:1. Sometimes it is... but connecting on punches feels too much like guesswork and luck. And speed/power rarely translate from my movement to the avatar's.

Apparently I have to learn what the game considers a "jab" because it doesn't replicate my actual movement (I box, well not as much these days, but I know how to jab) what happens on screen is barely a punch. Sometimes it's nothing. I don't even know what to call it. A flinch? A spasm?

Player movement... why the hell do they use the move button for this and not the triggers? It's an uncomfortable way to hold the controller with such a loose grip because you have to keep a thumb on the move button. The triggers should be an option. Maybe they do some other move later in the game, but whatever that might be I'd rather have it on the move buttons. Holding the triggers lets you keep a better grip on the controller. Not having the option bothers me.

The game also, just in general, feels terribly low budget... it's got that shovelware feel.

Tomorrow, in better light, I'll see if I can get the HT working. If not this thing is going back... I'll take a loss on the trade just to get rid of it.

And before you jump all over my shit, I'm just being honest. If you like the game, I don't know what magic you did to get it working, but more power to you. So far I think it's shit.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
recklessmind said:
Apparently I have to learn what the game considers a "jab" because it doesn't replicate my actual movement (I box, well not as much these days, but I know how to jab) what happens on screen is barely a punch. Sometimes it's nothing. I don't even know what to call it. A flinch? A spasm?

It sounds like you're having calibration issues. The game gets gimpy like that fast if the calibration goes south. Check for light sources in the background and/or how well the move contrasts with the background in the calibration screen. If it looks like the move light blends into the background, the game has a hard time tracking the motion.

Maybe they do some other move later in the game, but whatever that might be I'd rather have it on the move buttons. Holding the triggers lets you keep a better grip on the controller. Not having the option bothers me.

Triggers are for dirty moves.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
recklessmind said:

I do not like it at all.

Head tracking is frigging impossible to get working... I've tried everything. Moved lights, adjusted lighting -- I even hung sheets!

It will work for half a round and then just stop. It works just long enough to get a feel for how stupid the game is without it. Honestly, I find it pretty pointless and extremely frustrating w/o HT.

The game is not 1:1. Sometimes it is... but connecting on punches feels too much like guesswork and luck. And speed/power rarely translate from my movement to the avatar's.

Player movement... why the hell do they use the move button for this and not the triggers? It's an uncomfortable way to hold the controller with such a loose grip because you have to keep a thumb on the move button. The triggers should be an option. Maybe they do some other move later in the game, but whatever that might be I'd rather have it on the move buttons. Holding the triggers lets you keep a better grip on the controller. Not having the option bothers me.

The game also, just in general, feels terribly low budget... it's got that shovelware feel.

Tomorrow, in better light, I'll see if I can get the HT working. If not this thing is going back... I'll take a loss on the trade just to get rid of it.

And before you jump all over my shit, I'm just being honest. If you like the game, I don't know what magic you did to get it working, but more power to you. So far I think it's shit.

Don't bother too much with head tracking. You wont use it regardless.

Evolved1

Had a little more fun this morning... but still couldn't get HT to work.

But I'm in a better mood -- not aggravated from rearranging my house to get this to work + downloading updates and waiting for a nine year install, and feeling like I just wasted my money.

It's more enjoyable today.

I'm finding blocking to be pretty difficult and still can't jab for shit... I don't like how they handle player movement (on the move button) and think there should be an option to use the triggers instead.

I'm wondering if part of the issues I'm having is because it's so early in the game and my fighter is bad. I have no stats... maybe that's why it's not 1:1 with my punches? He's just not fast enough yet?

Gonna mess around with it a little more, but at this point I'm on the fence about whether or not to trade it. The few time I actually get HT to work, the game feels a lot better. At least then I can dodge blows (because I can't block for shit!)

Afrikan

I forgot where but I remember seeing a tutorial that shows if you want to block...have your fists together (with your inside wrists facing you.).

I usually don't do this and just get my arms up.....but I also calibrate it differently than what it asks. For example, when it tells you do strike that pose and put the Move controllers under your chin....I actually place them little lower than right under my chin.

what this does is, for me, when I put my arms up...the arms actually go higher and it suits me....now remember if you put them too low, then when you punch most likely he will be swinging higher than usual.....so mess with it to find your sweet spot.

Also, if you swing a wild loop or just some how outside the Camera's range and your arm character's arm seems off....quickly back up, set the moves under your chin (or alittle lower like me) and then press circle....then quickly get in a defensive position because the CPU is most likely coming swinging for your noggin. I don't have to use that much, but it is very usefull if for some reason I lose calibration with one of my arms.

and YES stats are very important, you have to build up your fighter to increase your stats...and your fighter will mimic you more accurately.....it is already accurate when u first start, but if your character gets tired, then he won't do the things you want him to do..at a speedy rate.

Evolved1

Afrikan said:
I forgot where but I remember seeing a tutorial that shows if you want to block...have your fists together (with your inside wrists facing you.).

I usually don't do this and just get my arms up.....but I also calibrate it differently than what it asks. For example, when it tells you do strike that pose and put the Move controllers under your chin....I actually place them little lower than right under my chin.

what this does is, for me, when I put my arms up...the arms actually go higher and it suits me....now remember if you put them too low, then when you punch most likely he will be swinging higher than usual.....so mess with it to find your sweet spot.

Also, if you swing a wild loop or just some how outside the Camera's range and your arm character's arm seems off....quickly back up, set the moves under your chin (or alittle lower like me) and then press circle....then quickly get in a defensive position because the CPU is most likely coming swinging for your noggin. I don't have to use that much, but it is very usefull if for some reason I lose calibration with one of my arms.

and YES stats are very important, you have to build up your fighter to increase your stats...and your fighter will mimic you more accurately.....it is already accurate when u first start, but if your character gets tired, then he won't do the things you want him to do..at a speedy rate.

Thanks for the advice... I'm going to give it a little more time. Right now my dude gets tired after like three jabs :lol

He can't keep up with me. And the way the game does player movement just doesn't seem intuitive to me. I read a lot of posts in other threads about how The Fight does MOVE movement "right". But right now I'm like "wtf!?".

(It's also really hard not to move my feet... it goes against everything I know about boxing)

mehdi_san

THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone in this thread for convincing me. I just played my first couple of hours and it was mind-blowingly good. I have the worst setup ever for this game: very small dorm room, i only have around 1m in front of my TV, my whole body doesn't fit in the screen, lighting is not that great, but even with all of that, it is tracking my moves perfectly. Jabs, hooks, and uppercuts, they all came out on the screen the exact way and direction and speed than my real movements. It's just unreal seriously. We came a really long way from Wii boxing (that I played a lot when it came out in... 2006?). This is something else. The graphics are also really good (great use of the colors), and I love the tutorial videos with Machete. All the different training modes, the dirty moves to unlock, equipments, online mode, and it's cheaper than usual PS3 games! I love it :lol

Afrikan

recklessmind said:
Thanks for the advice... I'm going to give it a little more time. Right now my dude gets tired after like three jabs :lol

He can't keep up with me. And the way the game does player movement just doesn't seem intuitive to me. I read a lot of posts in other threads about how The Fight does MOVE movement "right". But right now I'm like "wtf!?".

(It's also really hard not to move my feet... it goes against everything I know about boxing)

if you haven't seen this user video of how accurate it is, check it out.....that is what I think most of us are used to, and why most feel it does movement "right"....or at-least the most advanced so far in gaming with 1:1 fighting....actually I think this is the only 1:1 boxing/street fighting game.

but either way imo, it is a great start from a small dev team with their first Move Game.

I do understand how it is hard to not move your feet, actually I still do...and it must be harder for you after trainning the legit sport before......I still have a bad habit of ending up getting closer and closer to the T.V. as I'm about to knock someone out :lol

I think you can still get away with moving alittle...but make sure you recalibrate yourself with circle, if you notice the swings are not registering.

Oni Jazar

Thanks for posting your impressions recklessmind. Good to hear things from a different point of view. Keep us posted on your progress if you like the game any more or less the more chances you give it.

I'd like to try the game but I'm still waiting on Sony Store to send me an extra wand that's on back order.

kitch9

Banned
recklessmind said:

I do not like it at all.

Train, train, and train some more to build your stats up and your fighter will improve.

The trigger thing will make sense as you progress...

==HEADTRACKING
You need evenly well lit SOFT light if you want it to work consistently. That means things like strong fluorescent lamps on both sides of the room or daylight. I have a room light on top with two fluorescent floor lamps on both sides.

If you have a plain background behind you and the strong soft light on both sides of you the head tracking should work fine.

==STATS
Raising all your stats to around 25+ will make the game feel more normal to your expectations. Its certainly not fun to have your character become tired just by throwing a few punches... but that's why the "GYM" is an important part of the game.

==MOVEMENT
I think everyone agrees it feels funny to not walk around but its something you get used to.

Key point to remember the circle button resets the character to your body. So always resume the guard position and press circle if tracking seems off or you accidently moved around the room and your character is no longer in a proper guard.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Afrikan said:

Yeah, you have to do that if you want your character model's elbows to turn inwards. Pretty much the only half decent way to consistently protect your ribs and gut.

Stike

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE :lol

My ARMS! I am totally wasted and yet this game tells me I just burned 50 kcal :lol

I know I know I am severely out of shape :p but I think this game will get me somewhere :D

Like it so far, Head-Tracking is said to be on, then at the beginning of the fight its suddenly off, but still my body motions are shown in the game... weird?!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Stike said:
Like it so far, Head-Tracking is said to be on, then at the beginning of the fight its suddenly off, but still my body motions are shown in the game... weird?!
It still tracks your relative position from the moves. Head tracking lets you duck and gives you finer control over sways etc.

Be careful keeping head tracking on when the quality isn't good. One of my online fights ended with my character squatting uncontrollably. Really hard to defend yourself with the virtual runs happening like that.

Evolved1

I've played a lot more... this game is not 1:1.

People who say it is are wearing rose-tinted glasses.

Sure it's 1:1 when you're moving around slowly... put any speed behind your punches and the game lags behind fiercely.

They should have put out a fucking demo. Then I would tell people to try that and see if it was for them. But since there's no demo I'm telling people to avoid this or rent it first.

And I still think the decision to put move on move buttons and not the triggers is one of the most obvious mistakes a dev has made in recent memory. If I was a reviewer I would rip the shit out of The Fight. I waste money on all sorts of gaming shit, but this game is one of the first times I regret it.

Final thoughts:

avoid/10

Afrikan

recklessmind said:

Sure it's 1:1 when you're moving around slowly... put any speed behind your punches and the game lags behind fiercely.

They should have put out a fucking demo. Then I would tell people to try that and see if it was for them. But since there's no demo I'm telling people to avoid this or rent it first.

And I still think the decision to put move on move buttons and not the triggers is one of the most obvious mistakes a dev has made in recent memory. If I was a reviewer I would rip the shit out of The Fight. I waste money on all sorts of gaming shit, but this game is one of the first times I regret it.

Final thoughts:

avoid/10

:lol ok dude....

avoid out of 10?...lol.

I think you would make a pretty good reviewer.

if you can show me a fighting game that is 1:1 so we can compare that would be helpful. I don't need rose tinted glasses to see that it works for me......besides personal experience...there videos of people showing how accurate the thing is.

but I agree with you, out of courtesy a demo should have been released....but demos take time and I'm sure they just wanted to get it released first.....and although this is funded by Sony...it is still a small dev team.

since the game is released now, hopefully a demo pops up some time in the future.....so people can try first and judge for themselves.

Evolved1

Afrikan said:
:lol ok dude....

one of the worst games you have ever played right?....... avoid out of 10?...lol.

now that I think about it, I think you would be pretty good reviewer.

if you can show me a fighting game that is 1:1 so we can compare that would be helpful. I don't need rose tinted glasses to see that it works for me......besides personal experience...there videos of people showing how accurate the thing is.

Whatever... I remember you from the backbreaker thread... rose-tinted glasses should be your username.

It's not 1:1. The game can't keep up when you punch fast. This is clearly visible in every video where the player punches with fast combos (including the one posted on this page). The game very noticeably lags behind. That's not 1:1. Do you know what 1:1 means?

If so... Why is your standard for 1:1 another videogame? Why do I have to show you another game? I'll tell you why... because this game isn't really 1:1, and you need a way to back peddle and say "Well it's better than anything else out there". Which may very well be the case. But that doesn't make this 1:1.

Afrikan

recklessmind said:
Whatever... I remember you from the backbreaker thread... rose-tinted glasses should be your username.

It's not 1:1. The game can't keep up when you punch fast. This is clearly visible in every video where the player punches with fast combos (including the one posted on this page). The game very noticeably lags behind. That's not 1:1. Do you know what 1:1 means?

If so... Why is your standard for 1:1 another videogame? Why do I have to show you another game? I'll tell you why... because this game isn't really 1:1, and you need a way to back peddle and say "Well it's better than anything else out there". Which may very well be the case. But that doesn't make this 1:1.

yup from the BackBreaker thread....I like to support devs that try something different, and when it works I'm really for it......and if reviews of these games are not consistent with other games...then I speak out about the reviews and reviewers. This game works for me, and BackBreaker did as well. I'm also curious about the John Daly Golf....

I see the potential in this game, just like BackBreaker....they are doing something revolutionary with their genres.

what is my standard for a 1:1 fighter?..... I punch in a certain direction...hit the guy....he moves some where else..and I swing in the direction where I think his head is at...as if he were in front of me....and when I connect it is very gratifying....no help from the CPU.

don't get me wrong, like I have said before... I play about 4-5 feet from the TV...so when I get excited and swing wide loops while getting closer to the T.V., I lose calibration for a sec...or atleast I presume I do, and I quickly recalibrate by pressing circle..while being in the stance.

I'm not a former boxer, so maybe my speed is not as fast as yours...so I can't say how the game is for you....BUT if the game was as inaccurate as you make it seem, I think there would be ALOT more complaints from forum posters on here...as well as other forums from gamers who have the game.....but I don't see that...so I know I'm not crazy, nor am I looking at it through rose tinted glasses.

Evolved1

I'm not some great boxer... I did it recreationally for a few years. To toughen myself up a bit (I'd never been in a fight before) and for exercise. So I'm not evaluating the game from a "boxers" perspective...

Look it's a game and I understand they aren't going to be 100% true to life... but they're selling this thing (and so are you guys in this thread) that it's 1:1 and the truth is that it's not. Maybe it's better than other boxing games, but it's not good enough imo.

The entire package is clunky and cumbersome (and slow)... it also feels very cheap. I could list a million little things that drive me nuts (like not being able to hold Z to scroll menus and actually having to do a gesture 5-6 times to get through any given section of the UI) that show how rushed/unpolished/cheap the game feels. I swear to god there's only one song on the damn soundtrack -- and it's bad. But the little things aren't even the issue.

My main complaint is that the game is not fun. It's frustrating. It's poorly made.

You admittedly look past that stuff, because you appreciate what the developer is trying to do. You find it fun, or inspired... whatever. You're letting them slide on stuff because you "see the potential". That's exactly what "rose-tinted glasses" means.

As you've defined it... your standard for 1:1 is apparently "close enough; I'm having fun" and that's just not how it works.

Loudninja

recklessmind said:

Final thoughts:

avoid/10
So I guess pretty much everyone lied in this topic and you are the only one telling the true, that's cool.

Evolved1

Loudninja said:
So I guess pretty much everyone lied in this topic and you are the only one telling the true, that's cool.

I think you're wrong, yes.

Sony has this on their RLS so I'll be picking this up asap, despite reviews and reckless' impression it still looks fun and worth a sweat. The developers seem to hold it dear to their hearts too which is awesome.
I tried Fighters Uncaged and it was maybe one of the worst experiences ever, in case anyone was wondering- as these two 'seem' very similiar.

Top Bottom