• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash |OT| Gotta Go Fast - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to watching it. It was a decent overall episode peppered with some great scenes.

1. The bar scene and drunk Caitlin. Just adorable, and the scene where she says it would be okay if Barry sneaked a peek were great. Feed that Tumblr bait, CW!

2. Barry's dad knows, and him telling his son without telling him was great as well. This time Barry had the almost crying scene instead of Joe.

3. GRODD!!!

4. GRODD!!!

infi

i wonder how they'll be able to handle Grodd budget wise, he looked pretty good but he was in a sewer with no lighting.

I'm thinking that they'll probably shoot him in dark lighting a lot to cover up the special fx as making a life like Grodd with the budget and time constraints Flash has is tricky

I'm thinking that they'll probably shoot him in dark lighting a lot to cover up the special fx as making a life like Grodd with the budget and time constraints Flash has is tricky

It's also season 1 of Flash so the budget is significantly bigger, so there will be jankiness season 2 and onward. Look at Arrow in season 3 where fire looks so janky you can't help but think it was rendered on a playstation 1.

Chairhome

Found Cisco's nintendo shirt... I want it.
https://www.threadless.com/product/4465/A_Pixel_of_My_Childhood/tab,guys

636x460design_01.jpg

Volimar

The comedy in the Flash and the popularity of superhero movies and shows makes me wish they would do a Greatest American Hero film.

Vinci

Danish
Cant' really play that game with Flash. Could've instinctively speedforced the bullet to slow down too.

If this were the comics, yes. But they haven't illustrated any such power in Barry's repertoire within this show. I think the writers just didn't factor in exactly how fast that would have to be, or they dramatically underestimated the speed of a bullet.

It's not a huge issue, really, but it's one of those things they should probably be a bit more cognizant of.

It's also season 1 of Flash so the budget is significantly bigger, so there will be jankiness season 2 and onward. Look at Arrow in season 3 where fire looks so janky you can't help but think it was rendered on a playstation 1.

Budget on a tv show can get larger just as easily as it can get smaller. Given that Flash is probably the best performing show on CW(if not it's top 2 or 3) it's not likely they get a budget cut.

If this were the comics, yes. But they haven't illustrated any such power in Barry's repertoire within this show. I think the writers just didn't factor in exactly how fast that would have to be, or they dramatically underestimated the speed of a bullet.

It's not a huge issue, really, but it's one of those things they should probably be a bit more cognizant of.
I mean, the bullet touched him before he "reacted" to it. I chalk this one up as the Speed Force protecting him.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
If this were the comics, yes. But they haven't illustrated any such power in Barry's repertoire within this show.
Which is why I said it could've been an instinctive thing. At this point, that's the ultimate handwave.

The writers are clearly aware of the Speed Force since Wells powering up was getting "Speed Force absorption" via the tachyon thinggie.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Finally got back into watching this after seeing the pilot ages ago. God damn DC just kicks butt in the TV field, no question about it. Loving the visual, done so well even with a few quirky CGI problems here and there.

Also why can't the lovers ever be? I want it so bad...

ZeroX03

Banned
Budget on a tv show can get larger just as easily as it can get smaller. Given that Flash is probably the best performing show on CW(if not it's top 2 or 3) it's not likely they get a budget cut.

When budgets increase on TV shows it's usually to account for increased expenses like actors renewing their contracts. It's very rare for the increase to be 1:1 though and the production budget almost always suffers as a result. I can't think of many examples of an increased production budget in later seasons of a show outside of cable.

Arrow did well in the first season and still had it's budget slashed according to Amell.

Corpekata

Banned
Hoping this show gets rid of the prison sort of like how Ollie stopped killing (so much) on Arrow. A relatively minor thief doesn't deserve being relegated to that fate even if she is powerful. Or Rathaway with his super hearing aids, he should have really been in a normal prison.

Or at least give them bigger cells or something. Maybe a TV. Solitary confinement for an indefinite amount of time with just a mirror of yourself for stealing some money is nightmare worthy. She didn't even really put anyone in danger save for like pushing that worker off a five foot drop.

When budgets increase on TV shows it's usually to account for increased expenses like actors renewing their contracts. It's very rare for the increase to be 1:1 though and the production budget almost always suffers as a result. I can't think of many examples of an increased production budget in later seasons of a show outside of cable.

Arrow did well in the first season and still had it's budget slashed according to Amell.

Arrow did "well" by CW standards but it wasn't smashing CW records the way The Flash is.

Actor salaries do go up but not typically in a single season. Usually actor contracts are for multiple years and they're simply released if the show is cancelled.

Budgets do get cut often for profit benefit but not typically on ratings monsters and The Flash is definitely a ratings monster for The CW.

ZeroX03

Banned
Arrow did "well" by CW standards but it wasn't smashing CW records the way The Flash is.

Actor salaries do go up but not typically in a single season. Usually actor contracts are for multiple years and they're simply released if the show is cancelled.

Budgets do get cut often for profit benefit but not typically on ratings monsters and The Flash is definitely a ratings monster for The CW.

I'm well aware of how actor contracts work and have talked about it Flash and Arrow threads before, I was just giving an example. Other staff, effects and stunt teams are on separate contracts and may raise their rates. Writing rooms can often increase in size.

Again I don't see any reason that Flash would receive a production budget increase when very few non-cable shows do. In Flash's favor The CW's development bracket is very small due to renewing almost everything so if money is coming from anywhere it's there but if Arrow ratings still get the budget cut then Flash will probably be glad just to stay flat. Staying flat - outside of a pilot's inflated budget - is pretty good really.

I'm well aware of how actor contracts work and have talked about it Flash and Arrow threads before, I was just giving an example. Other staff, effects and stunt teams are on separate contracts and may raise their rates. Writing rooms can often increase in size.

Again I don't see any reason that Flash would receive a production budget increase when very few non-cable shows do. In Flash's favor The CW's development bracket is very small due to renewing almost everything so if money is coming from anywhere it's there but if Arrow ratings still get the budget cut then Flash will probably be glad just to stay flat. Staying flat - outside of a pilot's inflated budget - is pretty good really.

Umm.. all I said is that The Flash's budget wouldn't get cut. The rest was pointing out the fallacy of "Second season = auto budget cut."

ZeroX03

Banned
Umm.. all I said is that The Flash's budget wouldn't get cut. The rest was pointing out the fallacy of "Second season = auto budget cut."

I never said second season = auto budget cut. But it's almost always true.

You on the other hand said:

"Budget on a tv show can get larger just as easily as it can get smaller."

Which outside of contract renewals in later seasons isn't really true. It's pretty uncommon. And very rare in terms of production specifically.

I never said second season = auto budget cut.

You on the other hand said:

"Budget on a tv show can get larger just as easily as it can get smaller."

Which outside of contract renewals in later seasons isn't really true. It's pretty uncommon. And very rare in terms of production specifically.

I didn't say you said that. That was what was implied in the post I initially replied to.

And Budget can just as easily go up. Most shows aren't ratings beasts though so the law of averages suggests that going down is more likely. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Context of show performance is key.

ZeroX03

Banned
I didn't say you said that. That was what was implied in the post I initially replied to.

And Budget can just as easily go up. Most shows aren't ratings beasts though so the law of averages suggests that going down is more likely. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Context of show performance is key.

Do you have any examples outside of actor contract renewals and cable?

Show performance and increased budget are also not directly intertwined. AMC in particular are real bastards with this, cutting TWD's budget after it was such a success to maximize profit. Obviously cable but they're usually less prone to extreme cuts so go figure.

E: event episodes come to mind with inflated budgets but I'm not sure Flash is getting a post Super Bowl slot anytime soon. The crossovers might count but it's not a season wide YoY increase

Do you have any examples outside of actor contract renewals and cable?

Show performance and increased budget are also not directly intertwined. AMC in particular are real bastards with this, cutting TWD's budget after it was such a success to maximize profit. Obviously cable but they're usually less prone to extreme cuts so go figure.

E: event episodes come to mind with inflated budgets but I'm not sure Flash is getting a post Super Bowl slot anytime soon. The crossovers might count but it's not a season wide YoY increase

Budget staying the same and budget cuts are more common, as I already said, however that doesn't mean budget increases are hard. Budget increases aren't difficult to do in early seasons provided the revenue is there. I'm not and never was talking odds. I'm talking about the ability.

HAS BARRY REACHED THE POWER LEVEL HIGH ENOUGH FOR A BLUE LANTERN RING YET?

No? Well fuck this show is going nowhere.

I'm so hyped for Grodd, I don't care if it's like guy in a chimp suit quality. I just want fucking Grodd.

I really liked this episode, aside from Cisco's mistake and the cheaply shopped face of Amell in that energy stream.

At first I thought Cisco would trash Potter (it clearly looked like that), but I guess he had to pull out his remote, so it's established and could be destroyed later. Speaking of that scene, it was pretty bad, too. First, they have access to Barry's lab at the police station for some reason? I'd buy Cisco being able to get in, but Potter? "Oh hai, guys. That guy is our new intern at Star Labs. He just happens to look like the guy who almost killed all these people on that bridge a while ago". Then the photoshop scene happened (low budget, it's okay), we get more important info that leads us to Fire Hobo and after that, Potter pulls the exact same trick he did to get out of the prison in the last episode. What the fuck. How do you not prevent that from happening again? Ugh.

Anyway, the rest was really good. I liked the few Nightcrawler scenes and how Barry beat her. The little sparks from sliding over the flow are a nice little detail, too. Not sure how much sense it makes (I'm sure it depends on the material), but it looked good.

The bar scene was good, but I would've liked to hear him sing a bit more. Caitlin being comically drunk wasn't my thing, but she was adorable. I get why Barry didn't go for her in that situation, but not considering her at all would be pretty dumb. I'd hope that she and Barry would get together, but I kinda wished the same for Felicity and Oliver and boy, did that go all kinds of band and wrong. Be careful what you ship wish for, people!

thank you. Nice to see im not the only one who hates Arrow.

Was hesitant to bring it up here on in the Arrow thread for obvious reasons. S1 was alright. But yeah, i hate-watched pretty much the entirety of the second season. The ONLY reason i put myself through that horror was Deathstroke.

If i never hear Mirakuru again in my life though, it will be too soon.

Do you want people to hate Arrow?

I don't get this mentality. What causes someone to hate a piece of entertainment? Like, do you actively wish to diminish its success? To what end? I legitimately do not understand.

As for the most recent episode: I liked it. That's about all I can say to that point. I can't say anything new that I'm sure hasn't already been said.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Emily_kinney.jpg

Emily Kinney cast as new Flash villain

The villain roster of The CW’s “The Flash” continues to grow as PUNKD Images has learned that former “The Walking Dead” star Emily Kinney has joined the cast as
Bug-Eyed Bandit.

Originally appearing as an Atom villain, Bug-Eyed Bandit was created by Gardner Fox and Gil Kane in 1966 where he controlled insects to do his bidding. The character’s name in the source material was Bertram Larvan, but Kinney’s character in the series will be named Brie Larvan.

Malvingt2

HAS BARRY REACHED THE POWER LEVEL HIGH ENOUGH FOR A BLUE LANTERN RING YET?

No? Well fuck this show is going nowhere.

I'm so hyped for Grodd, I don't care if it's like guy in a chimp suit quality. I just want fucking Grodd.

not yet...... step by step, he is going to get there.

scabro

Do you want people to hate Arrow?

I don't get this mentality. What causes someone to hate a piece of entertainment? Like, do you actively wish to diminish its success? To what end? I legitimately do not understand.

As for the most recent episode: I liked it. That's about all I can say to that point. I can't say anything new that I'm sure hasn't already been said.

no, i dont care about it, i dont watch it anymore.
Me hating it =/= caring about how it does or its success. Does hate need an end? Do you think im sitting here lighting candles praying it fails or something? The subject came up and i voiced my opinion. I iust want it away from the Flash.

Malvingt2

Grant Gustin ‏@grantgust
I feel so grateful The Flash is getting so much love, I'm so lucky to have my friends & family & the support of all of you. Thank you all.

ZeroX03

Banned

Few more tidbits from KSite TV's Flash site:

Episode 18 of The Flash will be bringing Ray Palmer and Felicity Smoak from Arrow onto the show, with an episode called “All-Star Team-Up.” It had also been revealed that the villain would be Atom foe “The Bug-Eyed Bandit.”

But instead of being Bertram Larvan, the character is now female named Brie Larvan, and played by The Walking Dead actress Emily Kinney.

Here’s how the CW describes her character: Brie is a narcissistic tech wizard wreaking havoc in Central City. When Felicity and Ray arrive, Felicity recognizes Brie as her nemesis, and the two women engage in a hacker battle for The Flash’s life.

Yep, Felicity Smoak now has a “nemesis.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom