• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash |OT| Gotta Go Fast - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Flash surpassed Arrow in my eyes within three episodes simply by embracing it's nature and not worrying too much about teen angst.

Yeah, but angst is the nature of street level superheroes. In comics sometimes they try to make GA lighter, but it never truly works. It needs grit an angst, even if Oliver is spitting jokes left and right. And I enjoy it on TV, because it makes both shows taste very differently.

Other than an episode or two (like the recent Cold/Heat Wave one) Flash has been consistently better than Arrow since it debuted. Arrow's gone off the rails somewhat. It's not the angst (both shows have that) or grittiness, it's that it isn't *interesting* angst. Ollie reintegrating was interesting, the revealing of what happened on the island in S1 and S2 was interesting. Building up the team was interesting. The Undertaking and the Siege were dumb, but at least compelling. Nothing compelling about Brick, despite getting a great actor for the part. It's all so dull. Laurel is the best thing on the show now! Let that sink in. She's gotten better, but the rest of the show has also gotten worse.

Chariot

Yeah, but angst is the nature of street level superheroes. In comics sometimes they try to make GA lighter, but it never truly works. It needs grit an angst, even if Oliver is spitting jokes left and right. And I enjoy it on TV, because it makes both shows taste very differently.
I did specially meant teen angst. Like Thea's whole character in season 1, she was the worst, but not the only incarnation of it. I want to see super heroes, not some rich girl who is angered by everything.

I regard Person of Interest a better super hero show than Arrow, because it's a lot more mature, despite some lightheartness and jokes.

Wiktor

I regard Person of Interest a better super hero show than Arrow, because it's a lot more mature, despite some lightheartness and jokes.

Well..that's though shoes to fill. I mean...PoI is better than Arrow, but it's also better than Flash and pretty much everything else on tv in it's category. It's absolute masterclass at what it does, so Arrow not measuring up to it isn't exactly a bad thing.

Joni

The Flash and Arrow are both a high level nowadays, but they just want to do different things in atmosphere.

Neoxon

The way I see it, Arrow has kinda been off its game this season, with a few bright spots. On any other occasion it'd be an okay season for Arrow at best, but then there's Flash, SHIELD (which has made a ridiculous comeback this season), & Agent Carter.

If Barry doesn't have a threesome with Caitlin and Felicity by the end of this show I will view it as a wasted opportunity.

LMAO at "You deserve a peek."

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Flash surpassed Arrow in my eyes within three episodes simply by embracing it's nature and not worrying too much about teen angst.

Yeah same here, but at the same time Arrow is in season 3 and Flash is still in season 1. I loved Arrow season 1, especially the early episodes (I know some disagree), and season 2 was ok. I feel like Arrow is suffering because the writers are just making it up as they go and so some plots like the island are starting to feel kind of jarring and out of place. Part of that imo is that they used up most of the interesting storylines in season 1-2, and so now they're just feeding us filler and love triangles--pulling the good ol' CW classic of "nothing really matters outside of the the first two episodes, the mid-season finale, and the last 2 episodes of the season."

Plus every possible fight, battle, and villain feels like they've been done at this point and it's starting to feel redundant. Oh look a mass street brawl, seen this three times. Oh look another archer who can catch arrows and keep up with Ollie, aight that's the fifth one. Oh look another big thug/brute that somehow keeps up with the police and vigilante, been there done that.

I might have to just take a long Arrow break since the show is frustrating and disappointing me so much; whereas I'm super excited about the flash, waiting for Tuesday to arrive and just all around pepped during a Flash episode. Show is just a lot of fun.

I think flash has a similar thread of teen angst running through (let's be honest, most comics do), but like someone else pointed out, it's fun/interesting teen angst. Drunk caitlyn is hilarious and the whole Iris/Barry now awkward friendship is kind of fun. Arrow feels exactly like Smallville now where the whole "I love you, but I can't love you... *sniffle sniffle* sad faces" (repeat x25) is shoved into every goddam episode and over-dramatized and just painfully drawn out for no other reason than to kill time.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh great, Arrow bitching in the Flash thread.

I feel like Arrow is suffering because the writers are just making it up as they go

Of course they are. They're TV writers. You can only plan as far ahead as your budget and guest availability will allow you.

I still don't buy it they will do Grodd justice. The day I see a talking gorilla on the flash is the day I proclaim it a top 5 ever show :p

Also the gap in quality between flash and arrow these days is embarrassing (for arrow that is)

After the midseason final I thought anyone thinking this was crazy.
However especially after Arrow's latest episode with the rest of this season
it truly feels like everyone responsible for the quality of S1&2(besides the costume designer) jumped ship.

Chariot

Yeah same here, but at the same time Arrow is in season 3 and Flash is still in season 1. I loved Arrow season 1, especially the early episodes (I know some disagree), and season 2 was ok. I feel like Arrow is suffering because the writers are just making it up as they go and so some plots like the island are starting to feel kind of jarring and out of place. Part of that imo is that they used up most of the interesting storylines in season 1-2, and so now they're just feeding us filler and love triangles--pulling the good ol' CW classic of "nothing really matters outside of the the first two episodes, the mid-season finale, and the last 2 episodes of the season."

Plus every possible fight, battle, and villain feels like they've been done at this point and it's starting to feel redundant. Oh look a mass street brawl, seen this three times. Oh look another archer who can catch arrows and keep up with Ollie, aight that's the fifth one. Oh look another big thug/brute that somehow keeps up with the police and vigilante, been there done that.

I might have to just take a long Arrow break since the show is frustrating and disappointing me so much; whereas I'm super excited about the flash, waiting for Tuesday to arrive and just all around pepped during a Flash episode. Show is just a lot of fun.
I actually didn't like Arrow already in season 1, because the unnecessary drama that added nothing to not much were at it's strongest. Thea was a high contender for annoyance and I was happy every time we got a bit of the island flashback, because I like Slade. My favorite season of arrow was the second. The season had a concept that didn't felt like they were making it up episode for episode and actually involved the Oliver Queen drama good with the Arrow part.

I think flash has a similar thread of teen angst running through (let's be honest, most comics do), but like someone else pointed out, it's fun/interesting teen angst. Drunk caitlyn is hilarious and the whole Iris/Barry now awkward friendship is kind of fun. Arrow feels exactly like Smallville now where the whole "I love you, but I can't love you... *sniffle sniffle* sad faces" (repeat x25) is shoved into every goddam episode and over-dramatized and just painfully drawn out for no other reason than to kill time.
I think we're reading different comics. Most heroes are adults, with the biggest young heroes being Captain Marvel and the incarnations of the Titans. Other than that I agree with your general thought. Arrows drama is getting exhausting, because it repeats and never ends, while Flash use it as flavor.

Of course they are. They're TV writers. You can only plan as far ahead as your budget and guest availability will allow you.
You expect them to have a general plan for a season though. Season 3 of arrow felt like they just kick off with something the arbitrary chose and then tried to make sense out of it. Pretty sure they didn't know who the murder was when they killed her off.

Tabby

Oh great, Arrow bitching in the Flash thread.

I thought the writers said they literally had a rough plan of how the entire season will go, right?

Vinci

Danish
Has anyone bothered to calculate how fast Barry would have to have been moving to stop that bullet? Because I'm imagining it's well beyond what the writers were considering when they wrote it.

Question from a non-comic reader: if Barry is able to react to the impact of a bullet against his body, when he's not focusing on that direction or even know the shooter is there, how was Flashpoint Batman able to stab Reverse Flash?

Also the gap in quality between flash and arrow these days is embarrassing (for arrow that is)

I'm not surprised. For me, Arrow was only as good as it's main villain and after the greatness that was Slade, no one has been able to step up.

Flash for me is just so much more fun. Besides the terrible inconsistencies with his speed, Flash is just a riot of cheese and more cheese.

Vinci

Danish
Question from a non-comic reader: if Barry is able to react to the impact of a bullet against his body, when he's not focusing on that direction or even know the shooter is there, how was Flashpoint Batman able to stab Reverse Flash?

He's not. The speed he would need to reach in order to do that would be incredible. Particularly when he's not consistently pulling from the Speed Force.

Let's say the bullet was from a mid-to-high powered handgun. It would be going roughly the speed of sound. Let's round it off to 760 miles per hour, which means it travels 1/5th of a mile per second.

That should give you some idea how fast he would have to move in order to deflect, nevermind catch, the bullet from the moment it began to pierce his suit.

Technically, Reverse Flash's power set isn't exactly the same as that of Flash. Even the various Flashes (Barry, Wally, and Bart) have different levels of speed and different access to the Speed Force.

Batman is also so stealthy that he can vanish on Superman without being detected.

Chris1

Yeah arrow has been a huge drop off in quality in S3, which is a shame after the amazing S2.

I don't think The Flash is that great so far either though, but arrow was boring for the first half of the season too so I'm giving it a shot and I want to see where they go with Grodd.

Ra's should be a better villain than Slade but Arrow doesn't know what its doing this season.

To be fair, ra's hasn't really had his moment yet, once he finds out
olivers alive & thea killed sara
we will probably start seeing his true villianness. Right now he just feels like a side character rather than a villain, to me at least.

Ra's should be a better villain than Slade but Arrow doesn't know what its doing this season.

Yeah totally agree. I'm worried Flash will fall into the same villain problems (it's already got most of the same problems). The second half of the season hopefully give us enough of the Reverse Flash or Rogues that Barry is challenged.

Wiktor

Because he's Batman.

To be fair, ra's hasn't really had his moment yet, once he finds out
olivers alive & thea killed sara
we will probably start seeing his true villianness. Right now he just feels like a side character rather than a villain, to me at least.
Problem is though
the whole Malcolm thing just ruined Ra's for me, he killed hundreds also brainwashed your sister and basically killed your love interest to entice Ra's, and instead of trying to explain things to Ra's who hasn't been shown to be that bad at all yet, Oliver just going to join up with this psycho to defeat "the great evil Ra's"

Goddamn Gorilla Grodd showing up in this episode. So good.

Anyways I really liked Caitlin and Barry relationship in this episode. It was adorable and touching seeing them trying to help each other confront their problems. That Cisco slam was something else. The moment with Barry and his father at the end was especially heartwarming to see as it more than likely seems his dad knows and is accepting and thankful for what he's doing. The villain this episode was pretty interesting although I didn't care much for her power vs. the Flash's in the shots we got. Overall this was another fun episode.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Barry heard the gun fire and that was just enough time for him to react.

Zoom wouldn't be able to hear a stealthy Batman sneak up behind him with a sword, especially while distracted.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Well..that's though shoes to fill. I mean...PoI is better than Arrow, but it's also better than Flash and pretty much everything else on tv in it's category. It's absolute masterclass at what it does, so Arrow not measuring up to it isn't exactly a bad thing.

PoI has every character doing a cartoonish gritty voice though. I can't take it seriously.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Problem is though
the whole Malcolm thing just ruined Ra's for me, he killed hundreds also brainwashed your sister and basically killed your love interest to entice Ra's, and instead of trying to explain things to Ra's who hasn't been shown to be that bad at all yet, Oliver just going to join up with this psycho to defeat "the great evil Ra's"

Actually, it makes sense. ONE FORMER LOA member destroyed The Glades. The full LOA shows up, Starling City is fucked. Unless Oliver kills Ra's.

Glass

What the hell was up with that barman refusing to take orders or even acknowledge anyone except Linda Park? Like, I've had someone get served before me at a bar despite waiting longer, but outright blanking someone was so weird I thought Linda was walking over to explain he was deaf or something.

What the hell was up with that barman refusing to take orders or even acknowledge anyone except Linda Park? Like, I've had someone get served before me at a bar despite waiting longer, but outright blanking someone was so weird I thought Linda was walking over to explain he was deaf or something.

Maybe he just hated Barry's face :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Yeah, I had the same reaction. How they played it was odd. I think the bartender was just supposed to be a jerk.

God I love this show. It's not saddled with the angsty bullshit that arrow is.

As far as the bullet goes, that looked like flash basically taking the velocity from something. Wally used to do that shit.

Guesong

Well, Barry heard the gun going off and thus had time to react, whereas you wouldn't hear a sneaking Batman approaching. That's my take on it!

scabro

I'm not surprised. For me, Arrow was only as good as it's main villain and after the greatness that was Slade, no one has been able to step up.

Flash for me is just so much more fun. Besides the terrible inconsistencies with his speed, Flash is just a riot of cheese and more cheese.

thank you. Nice to see im not the only one who hates Arrow.

Was hesitant to bring it up here on in the Arrow thread for obvious reasons. S1 was alright. But yeah, i hate-watched pretty much the entirety of the second season. The ONLY reason i put myself through that horror was Deathstroke.

If i never hear Mirakuru again in my life though, it will be too soon.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Has anyone bothered to calculate how fast Barry would have to have been moving to stop that bullet? Because I'm imagining it's well beyond what the writers were considering when they wrote it.

Cant' really play that game with Flash. Could've instinctively speedforced the bullet to slow down too.

Depending on from what gun it was fired, the bullet could very well have been traveling faster than sound.

Handgun rounds are generally right around the speed of sound, or just under.

More to the point, regardless of how he noticed in time, he still can't actually control his powers. Not fully. He can't produce that sort of speed at will.

I'm beginning to think people will keep going "but, uh, inconsistent power levels!" until they just put a ticker on the bottom of the screen, going "BARRY ALLEN, AKA THE FLASH, DOES NOT HAVE FULL CONTROL. HIS SPEED WILL FLUCTUATE" on a loop.

ReiGun

More to the point, regardless of how he noticed in time, he still can't actually control his powers. Not fully. He can't produce that sort of speed at will.

I'm beginning to think people will keep going "but, uh, inconsistent power levels!" until they just put a ticker on the bottom of the screen, going "BARRY ALLEN, AKA THE FLASH, DOES NOT HAVE FULL CONTROL. HIS SPEED WILL FLUCTUATE" on a loop.

I eagerly await the start of Flash Facts, where Barry tells us exactly how fast he's going at all times and whether it was intentional or not.

I think that's just a cop out. Didn't he once slow down time enough that he was able to run around Iris and talk to her about his secret and she didn't even notice? He wasn't even trying either. You can't tell me that just happened that time because he can't control his powers.

I think that's just a cop out. Didn't he once slow down time enough that he was able to run around Iris and talk to her about his secret and she didn't even notice? He wasn't even trying either. You can't tell me that just happened that time because he can't control his powers.

He was stressed, so... yeah, I can tell you that :p

In general, Barry seems to be able to speed up for short bursts based mostly on stress level. He caught the bullet because of "oh shit, I need to catch that bullet" stress, and with Iris it was social stress.

It's either that, or rail against the showrunners for being incompetent.

Xamdou

Man what a great episode, especially the end scene with Barry and his father. At this point The Flash is my favorite super hero show beating out Arrow, but I still like Arrow a lot as well as the 100!

He was stressed, so... yeah, I can tell you that :p

In general, Barry seems to be able to speed up for short bursts based mostly on stress level. He caught the bullet because of "oh shit, I need to catch that bullet" stress, and with Iris it was social stress.

It's either that, or rail against the showrunners for being incompetent.

I've got no issue with the bullet catch. I thought that was great. The show is always going to have trouble conveying his powers, seeing as though the Flash is just so damn powerful.

I've got no issue with the bullet catch. I thought that was great. The show is always going to have trouble conveying his powers, seeing as though the Flash is just so damn powerful.
I concur. I know I have a few posts in here talking about how Flash is moving way faster than he should be able to, but I honestly give zero fucks about that. I just like doing the math and pointing it out.

The one time it did bother me, though, was during that stupid Cold and Heatwave episode.

scabro

i wonder how they'll be able to handle Grodd budget wise, he looked pretty good but he was in a sewer with no lighting.

Yeah, that's going to be an issue. They could always just cap him at sub-comics speeds, though; I don't think any of the animated Flashes got that fast. That lets him be extremely good, but not totally invincible.

i wonder how they'll be able to handle Grodd budget wise, he looked pretty good but he was in a sewer with no lighting.

IIRC, there were a few tweets implying that they were planning on a prosthetic/CGI hybrid approach, which would bring down costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom