• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2015 Pre-Season |OT| The Power of Dreams™

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgreen

That may be, but Van der Garde isn't really getting anything out of this other than the power to say, "I was right". He's going to hurt the team he's trying to drive for and no other team will touch him with a 10 foot pole after this.

You are grossly exaggerating the effect.

Why wouldn't they touch him? Sauber illegally denied him his seat. A seat they signed a contract about. It isn't some far fetched legal attempt.

I'd happily see Sauber go down for this. They've nobody to blame but themselves.

Should be a warning shot for all the F1 teams that just because someone with more money comes along you can't rip up someone else's contract.

They are professionals...

Have you never worked for a boss or client you hated? You do your job, do as much as necessary to keep it and won't look at him otherwise. It's not exactly a great work climate for everyone involved. If you really think it won't affect the team and employees on any way, you're a bit naive.

Risgroo

I'd happily see Sauber go down for this. They've nobody to blame but themselves.

Should be a warning shot for all the F1 teams that just because someone with more money comes along you can't rip up someone else's contract.

As scummy as this is by Sauber, I don't want to see hundreds lose their jobs because of the management's bullshit. Hope they sort it out.

EDIT:
Ahahahah, Honda made twitter accounts for their engines.
qOVBsAe.png

Certain end indeed.
vUXnEng.gif

itsgreen

As scummy as this is by Sauber, I don't want to see hundreds lose their jobs because of the management's bullshit. Hope they sort it out.

Nobody wants that.

But that is no excuse for breaking commitments.

And that is what happens when you work at a business with scummy practices.

Business

You are grossly exaggerating the effect.

Why wouldn't they touch him? Sauber illegally denied him his seat. A seat they signed a contract about. It isn't some far fetched legal attempt.

VDG may be right but I agree with Seanspeed, I don't see how that's gonna help him in his career.

Chris R

Are we staying here for the season or are we going back to a Community thread? Just need to know where to look come Thursday night for practice :D

dubc35

The Australian courts have deferred a decision on whether Sauber must let Giedo van der Garde race its Formula 1 car until Wednesday.
link

So, if he is to drive for Sauber everyone gets a one day notice? Silly offseason filling up the offseason with silliness to the bitter end.

EDIT:
Ahahahah, Honda made twitter accounts for their engines.
qOVBsAe.png

Certain end indeed.
vUXnEng.gif

Honda Racing F1 ‏@HondaRacingF1 38s38 seconds ago

They will be focussed on the race, but they may tweet, as they have minds of their own.

lol

McLaren and Honda have reorganised according to amus. McLaren are now taking care of all the software so Honda can fully concentrate on the engine and electric motor.

cmr-94

Manor F1 Team ‏@ManorF1Team 1m1 minute ago
We're delighted to announce that @robertomerhi will be racing alongside Will Stevens.

Gruso

So, did anyone else catch the brief (and accidental) access to the new F1 site beta?

@F1 said:
Looks like a lucky few got a sneak peek at our new website! #ComingSoon

https://twitter.com/F1/status/575027470631632896

In short, there will be a premium access section and no, it's not live race streaming (oh you!)

jWnZXyb.jpg

(Sorry for lack of clarity; not my screenshot)

The $129 is a confirmed text error. It will be $26.99USD/yr, and according to reddit people who saw it for themselves:

- UK: 19.99 GBP
- Rest of the EU and Turkey: 24.99 Euros
- Canada: 34.99 CAD
- NZ and AUS: 39.99 AUD

This looks like a far superior offering to the mobile app (albeit a little more expensive), and I'm quite happy about it.

Just hoping they have cross-platform accounts (ie. single premium login for web & mobile). The WEC, although they have the best app in the business, haven't managed this :/

Pimpwerx

So, did anyone else catch the brief (and accidental) access to the new F1 site beta?

In short, there will be a premium access section and no, it's not live race streaming (oh you!)

The $129 is a confirmed text error. It will be $26.99USD/yr, and according to reddit people who saw it for themselves:

- UK: 19.99 GBP
- Rest of the EU and Turkey: 24.99 Euros
- Canada: 34.99 CAD
- NZ and AUS: 39.99 AUD

This looks like a far superior offering to the mobile app (albeit a little more expensive), and I'm quite happy about it.

Just hoping they have cross-platform accounts (ie. single premium login for web & mobile). The WEC, although they have the best app in the business, haven't managed this :/
Wow! Not that I can't afford the price, but on general principle, I'm not paying $27 to wake up early in the morning and deal with timing issues at the track on Sunday, the one day it's worth having timing. I paid for the app using some leftover Play money last year. Not this year. Thanks, Bernie. You just made my life s lot easier. I'm going to be watching this entire season on tape delay, except for the ones on this side of the ocean. I'm attending the Sepang race, and I'm pretty sure I'll be at the ePrix this Saturday. But I'm not giving that crooked smurf anymore of my money. F1 is not embracing technology well at all. PEACE

Lach

If they'd provide HD live stream I'd happily pay 129$.

I've bought the android app for my tablet last year and only used it in 3-4 races, so I think I'll skip this year. Though english commentary would be nice for the races where BBC isn't live...

Gruso

@Pimpwerx The app experience on Android was awful for me too. There was a decent UI overhaul for 2014 but as you mention, the whole thing still performed like a dog. Not impressed at all, and wouldn't have bought it again.

But (and I'm being optimistic) if the same data is being presented via web browser, the pitfalls of the app platform will be sidestepped, and we'll be able to have all that data on a large screen near the TV. That's what I'm happy to pay for. But we'll see... if they're just going to put that same, shitty old Java applet behind a paywall, lol no.

We're not going to get the future we want any time soon. But as it stands, I get all my F1 for free. If they can provide *good* digital services to accompany my viewing, I'm willing to speak up in support with my wallet.

Mastah

Did you thought the multiple people hinting at a LOI signed a couple of years ago were just kidding around?

This was like the Alonso move to Ferrari. Everyone knew it would happen sooner or later, in the case of Vettel it happened 1 year earlier because RBR wasn't the dominating force so it couldn't avoid him activating his get-out clause.

No, because it's not about signing anything, but character of the meetings and what kind of role Vettel was going to fulfill - driving alongside Alonso or actually replacing him? Like with Hulkenberg in 2013 everyone knew it was all about being Massa's replacement, but with Vettel it's not clear-cut. And precisely that's interesting.

Well it's not like Alonso was really being a good boy and not visiting other teams factories while still under contract with Ferrari, right? Remember the infamous trip to RBR begging for a seat in 2013 than Abad suddenly tried to hide as "I'm just here talking to Horner and Dietmer because of Carlos Sainz Jr. even when Felix da Costa and Kvyat are the only real contenders for a future seat"?

The difference is Alonso informed Montezemolo in the middle of 2013 about seeing his options after Ferrari once again failed to develop their car.

Dead Man

@Pimpwerx The app experience on Android was awful for me too. There was a decent UI overhaul for 2014 but as you mention, the whole thing still performed like a dog. Not impressed at all, and wouldn't have bought it again.

But (and I'm being optimistic) if the same data is being presented via web browser, the pitfalls of the app platform will be sidestepped, and we'll be able to have all that data on a large screen near the TV. That's what I'm happy to pay for. But we'll see... if they're just going to put that same, shitty old Java applet behind a paywall, lol no.

We're not going to get the future we want any time soon. But as it stands, I get all my F1 for free. If they can provide *good* digital services to accompany my viewing, I'm willing to speak up in support with my wallet.

I already could see all that data on a large screen by the TV when the live timing was free. :/ Fuck F1G, FOM, or whatever they are called now.

Shaneus

The F1 app was invaluable for me last year and I felt I got my money's worth alone during the Melbourne GP (thanks to their being no KangarooTV or whatever, thanks FoM). I wouldn't get the "premium" online access, but if the premium access via the iOS app is as it was last year, I'll be happy.

Live track timings *and* live team radios was worth it, IMO.

Aiii

So not worth it
I already got the six premium screens, one of which is live timings. Not paying 27 Euro a month for christ sake, how is that price justifiable in a world where Netflix costs 7,99 and has at least ten times the entertainment value.

Dilly

Banned
With WRC+ you at least get a lot of extra video footage, and even for that I can't be bothered to pay.

-edit

Nevermind, read it the wrong way.

Aiii

So not worth it
Elaborate?

ps. From what we know, the quoted prices are for the season.

Comes with pay-tv here. You get six screens, I only have this screenshot stored:
clipboard0138uo4.jpg

Doesn't show the live timing, but you essentially get the screen as they have on-track, with purple/green split times and what not.

I already got the six premium screens, one of which is live timings. Not paying 27 Euro a month for christ sake, how is that price justifiable in a world where Netflix costs 7,99 and has at least ten times the entertainment value.

It's 27 EUR for the season.

Still worthless to me, as it doesn't include live streaming of the races.

Gruso

Comes with pay-tv here. You get six screens, I only have this screenshot stored:
clipboard0138uo4.jpg

Doesn't show the live timing, but you essentially get the screen as they have on-track, with purple/green split times and what not.
Ah, gotcha. If I had that, I'd have no interest in the new stuff from the website either!

Lehow

Hi F1 GAF,

I've never commented here, but I'm a die hard fan of Formula 1 nad need some help to continue watching it.

I'm Brazilian and usually I would just wake up in the morning and turn the TV on to watch. However I recently moved to Scotland in a exchange student program where I'll stay until September and I don't know how I can watch it here. There is any way to stream it legally?

mclem

Hi F1 GAF,

I've never commented here, but I'm a die hard fan of Formula 1 nad need some help to continue watching it.

I'm Brazilian and usually I would just wake up in the morning and turn the TV on to watch. However I recently moved to Scotland in a exchange student program where I'll stay until September and I don't know how I can watch it here. There is any way to stream it legally?

The short answer is that it depends on your living arrangements.

In Scotland, you'll be covered by the Beeb. If the property you're in as an exchange student has a TV License, you can watch it live; either on TV or via iPlayer. If the house isn't licensed, you can still timeshift it to watch later via iPlayer. That'll cover half the races live, the other half through edited highlights.

Alternatively, the house might have a Sky satellite subscription that covers Sky Sports F1. That'd give you all the races.

Finally, you could purchase a SkyGo subscription that includes Sky Sports F1, and do everything through streaming.

As a final option, everything is covered live on BBC radio, and that's entirely free. But only audio, of course! And as I said earlier, timeshifting via iPlayer is also entirely free and legal, even without a license; it's only live TV broadcasts that require one.

Lehow

The short answer is that it depends on your living arrangements.

In Scotland, you'll be covered by the Beeb. If the property you're in as an exchange student has a TV License, you can watch it live; either on TV or via iPlayer. If the house isn't licensed, you can still timeshift it to watch later via iPlayer. That'll cover half the races live, the other half through edited highlights.

Alternatively, the house might have a Sky satellite subscription that covers Sky Sports F1. That'd give you all the races.

Finally, you could purchase a SkyGo subscription that includes Sky Sports F1, and do everything through streaming.

As a final option, everything is covered live on BBC radio, and that's entirely free. But only audio, of course! And as I said earlier, timeshifting via iPlayer is also entirely free and legal, even without a license; it's only live TV broadcasts that require one.

If you absolutely have to watch it live, then the cheapest option is probably a day pass to Sky Go.

Thank you for the answers!

My accommodation unfortunately don't have TV license(actually the first letter I received once I arrived was asking me to pay for the license).

And I'm looking into the SkyGO subscription and it is linked to a subscription to the actual set top box and an annual contract if I'm reading correctly.

However, in the Sky page I found something called NowTV that offers what you said, Psychotext, a daily pass to stream. Is this what you referred to? It loooks reeally sweet with £11.00 for 7 days (I could even watch the Champions League matches).

itsgreen

My accommodation unfortunately don't have TV license(actually the first letter I received once I arrived was asking me to pay for the license).

And I'm looking into the SkyGO subscription and it is linked to a subscription to the actual set top box and an annual contract if I'm reading correctly.

However, in the Sky page I found something called NowTV that offers what you said, Psychotext, a daily pass to stream. Is this what you referred to? It loooks reeally sweet with £11.00 for 7 days (I could even watch the Champions League matches).

7 days means 7 straight days, so that costs you 11 pounds per f1 weekend... (if I read it correctly)

Lach

Why wouldn't they?

Because it seems it's all about "participating in the race weekend" so they are eligible for the price money for last season. And because they made a point last season that's quite a sum.
I read somewhere that their deal with Ferrari only is for one engine, but that might just be a rumour...

Dilly

Banned
Because it seems it's all about "participating in the race weekend" so they are eligible for the price money for last season. And because they made a point last season that's quite a sum.
I read somewhere that their deal with Ferrari only is for one engine, but that might just be a rumour...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117909/

This interview with Fitzpatrick really doesn't seem like they only want to participate in one weekend. And for once, there is nothing fishy about the backing they will receive, by the looks of it.

frontieruk

http://www.carling.com/nowtv you can claim five 1 day sports passes.

Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant. I do the £6.99 one on days that the BBC don't have live coverage. That £11 deal is pretty sweet too as obviously you could get the live qualifying then as well (I must admit that I tend to just head to some random internet streaming site for quali).

http://www.carling.com/nowtv you can claim five 1 day sports passes.

Codes from packs of Carling right? I hate the stuff, I wonder how much the cheapest cases are with the code in (10 packs apparently, cheapest I can find are the 12 packs for £8 in Asda).

Edit - Or 10 for £7 in Morrisons, so basically free alcohol when you pay for a code, or vice versa.

Hmm... massive amounts of problems with them discussed in this thread: http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Offers-Promotions/Carling-free-sports-passes/td-p/140120/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom