• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF Video and Filmmaking Thread

oatmeal

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
So, what's all this I read about using a 35mm filter to get that soft look? Is that directly related at all?

The 35mm adapters are fine, as they allow you to use different lenses on a fixed lens camera. However, using them drastically stops down your camera and you need more light to get the same effect.

I have a 7D with a ton of stuff and it didn't come close to the amount I"d spend on an EX1/3.

If you get a T2i, you'd spend even less. Stay away from the big rig manufacturers like RedRock and Zacuto (the former actually makes a 35mm adapter), and look online. This DSLR revolution has brought a lot of creative people to light willing to sell their home made rigs for much cheaper.

There are some limitations with DSLR's, like the jello effect and the aliasing. But if you know the camera you can shoot around it. I have had mine for about 9 months now, and I've never had an issue with them. And I use it constantly.

I have an HVX200 and I only use it on corporate stuff, everything else is on the 7D.

You will NEVER shoot anything on the EX1/3 in as low light as you can on the 7D/5D/T2i. They are ridiculous.

-

BTW, I'm not trying to put down the EX1, I've seen some stunning work on it. But I'm just giving you the other side of the coin to his argument.

oatmeal

Banned
Adding more...

Shallow DoF is ABSOLUTELY a huge part of the 'cinema' look. 24fps is huge as well, but it's not like they're mutually exclusive. The DVX100 was legendary for bringing 24fps to the indie crowd, and then when everyone realized that it wasn't the be all end all 'key' to that film look, the 35mm adapters came out.

That was when stuff really started to skyrocket and indie work started to get closer to bigger budget stuff.

Inferno313 said:
Hey filmmaking Gaf! I'm going to be starting as a film student in the fall, and while I've worked on a couple class projects, and watched a ton of great movies recently, I haven't really put together any short films myself. I'd really love to put one together over the summer. I've got a Canon HV40 and a brand new 15" i7 macbook pro.

Hey, that sounds like me :lol
Were the class projects from high school? Did you have experience with film prior to those?

Right now, I've only got iMovie on it, which I've tried, and seems all right, but not something I can do really serious work with. I'm having trouble deciding what to do about editing software though, as I'll have access to iMac's with Final Cut Studio on them starting in the fall. I don't really want to buy an editing software that I'll only use for a little while, but I can't afford to buy my own copy of FCS right now. Any recommendations?
I've actually tried a handful of different software, but I use windows so some might not be on Mac. The only one I can recommend to you is Adobe stuff. Lots of people use them at film festivals and whatnot, plus I'm pretty sure they make some for mac as well.

Also, what do you guys do to brainstorm? I'm great at working with an idea once I know what it is, but I'm terrible at coming up with ideas.

I'd say try not to force ideas. Just evaluate what you'd like to accomplish. Do you like the idea of making an action/fight oriented film or would noir suit you better? Don't force it. If you're too eager to wait til an idea comes along then you can try little projects here and there. Music videos, adaptations, etc.

Futureman

I need any advice on CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP lighting.

I shot a short scene a little ago and used the modeling lamp on my photography strobe light to light the scene. I actually really liked the look the light gave, BUT when you use the modeling lamp on my strobe, a fan comes on and it's audible in all the shots.

I'm currently in preproduction for a ~15min short experimental film for Vimeo's film festival contest to be judged by Mr. David Lynch.

Thraktor

Inferno313 said:
Hey filmmaking Gaf! I'm going to be starting as a film student in the fall, and while I've worked on a couple class projects, and watched a ton of great movies recently, I haven't really put together any short films myself. I'd really love to put one together over the summer. I've got a Canon HV40 and a brand new 15" i7 macbook pro.

Right now, I've only got iMovie on it, which I've tried, and seems all right, but not something I can do really serious work with. I'm having trouble deciding what to do about editing software though, as I'll have access to iMac's with Final Cut Studio on them starting in the fall. I don't really want to buy an editing software that I'll only use for a little while, but I can't afford to buy my own copy of FCS right now. Any recommendations?

Get Final Cut Express. If you've got access to iMacs in college, particularly if they're reasonably new 27" ones, then you're going to end up doing pretty much all of your heavy editing on them, anyway. Final Cut Express is basically just a stripped down version of Final Cut Pro, which means it has exactly the same interface you'll use in college, and it'll be reasonably easy to transfer projects between the two. Being a lot cheaper, it obviously doesn't have the same sort of feature set as FCP, but it'll cover the fundamentals while you're on the road, and let you transfer over to the iMacs easily enough to apply the finishing touches.

thatbox said:
I also don't understand why you think that larger sensors downsampling to 1080p cause aliasing or soft images - downsampling is precisely the way many antialiasing algorithms work.

DSLRs don't actually fully downscale the image, though, because there's no way their processors could handle it (even powerful desktop computers would have trouble downscaling a 21MP video to 1080p in real-time). What they do is skip a certain proportion of the lines, then downscale what's left. This isn't all bad, though, as they're still using a larger effective sensor area than all but the most expensive professional cinecams, so can produce very nice low-light videos. This is particularly true of the Nikon D3s, which has a full frame sensor, but with a lower resolution than the 5D MkII, so it doesn't have to skip as many lines and can use a larger effective sensor area.

This line-skipping can also result in the aliasing MetalAlien showed, but it's worth pointing out that this is pretty rare, and even then can be worked around 90% of the time. Sharpness isn't anything to worry about. There may be a small amount of potential blurring due to the compression applied on DSLRs, although Canon does use the same compression algorithm and bitrate as Blu-Ray films, so I can't imagine it will be visible to anyone but pixel-peepers.

The big coup for the DSLR manufacturers would be if they could create a dedicated video camera with a full frame sensor with a native resolution of 1920x1080 (or indeed 3840x2160, if they really want to compete with the likes of RED). This would allow for absolutely phenomenal low-light performance, and eliminate any problems that line-skipping can produce. Being focussed at the pro-video market, though, it would likely end up costing a lot more than the current crop of video-capable DSLRs.

Getting a DSLR or not is really a matter of what you want to achieve as a filmmaker, rather than any comparison of technical details. There are pros and cons either way, but all the most technically capable equipment in the world is no use if the person behind the camera doesn't have a vision for what they want to put up on the screen. If a DSLR fits that vision, then go with it, otherwise a more traditional videocamera will do you perfectly well too.

MetalAlien

Banned
Thraktor said:
The big coup for the DSLR manufacturers would be if they could create a dedicated video camera with a full frame sensor with a native resolution of 1920x1080

That would be my dream camera right there. An APS-C or Super 35 sized sensor that is 1080 native would practically be able to see in the dark!

Going full frame (which is even bigger) would be even more sensitive but that is so big I start to wonder how hard would it be to have DEEP depth of field? Not everyone (me) wants shallow DOF in every shot. :)

Either way, Sony is supposedly creating that exact camera. Super35 sized "low res" 1080 sensored video camera. The only problem is Sony knows how capably something like that would be and they are pricing it up in the Red One range. Out of the price range of users like me. Too bad..

Panasonic is making one that has a sensor nearly as big as that upcoming camcorder for around EX1 price but I'm not sure if the sensor is truly "low res" (1080) or down sampled.

Sooner or later someone will build it cheap enough and I want one!!! If it's a DSLR so be it.. I'm in.

orioto

Good Art™
Speaking about DSLR, here is some caps of the rehearsal i shot Monday. I shot the real thing in some old building tomorow.

I wasn't really happy with my pictures, the light was meh.. I have no tripod nor anything, it's a little cheap. In the end i have to (again) use b&l trick to like it a little.

Impromptu01.jpg

Impromptu03.jpg

Impromptu07.jpg

Impromptu08.jpg

Impromptu10.jpg

Thraktor

OP updated.

MetalAlien said:
That would be my dream camera right there. An APS-C or Super 35 sized sensor that is 1080 native would practically be able to see in the dark!

Going full frame (which is even bigger) would be even more sensitive but that is so big I start to wonder how hard would it be to have DEEP depth of field? Not everyone (me) wants shallow DOF in every shot. :)

Just stop down the aperture. You don't have to use your 85mm at f1.2 for every shot (as tempting as that may be), f22 would provide as deep a depth of field as you could reasonably need, even on full-frame.

Orioto, love the caps. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

MetalAlien

Banned
Showing my lack of hands on DSLR experience here :) But I can't imagine anyone making a dedicated video camera with a full frame sensor. Going APS-C or Super-35 you get all the cine 35 lenses and so forth. Even the Red One is Super35 sized. Would be really interesting though!

Orioto, very nice!

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys, a little note on something that bother me with the 550d.

It's always tempting to shot at 720p 60fps, to have a nice slomo, and the upscaling shouldn't be that ugly, BUT it seems the camera is just really bad at 720p. It always looks soft and almost dv quality, where it should be a lot better. You really need GOOD conditions to have a correct quality with it.

Thraktor

MetalAlien said:
Showing my lack of hands on DSLR experience here :) But I can't imagine anyone making a dedicated video camera with a full frame sensor. Going APS-C or Super-35 you get all the cine 35 lenses and so forth. Even the Red One is Super35 sized. Would be really interesting though!

Well, Canon make the full-frame 5D MkII and sell it for about $2500. They'd be able to sell a dedicated full-frame video camera for a lot more than that without adding too much to the production costs, which would basically be easy profit for them.

Ideally, Canon would release a full-frame dedicated video camera with a 3840x2160 sensor, that could output 4K resolution at 24/30fps and fully downscaled (ie. no line-skipping) 1080p at 24/30/60fps, both in some sort of ludicrously high-quality, high bitrate codec. With no mirror box, the flange distance could be reduced significantly (like micro four thirds), which would mean, with adaptors, pretty much every lens ever made would work on the camera. Of course, it would come with an adaptor to use Canon EF lenses right out of the box. Importantly, though, it would have a "crop" 1080p mode that just uses the center of the sensor, at up to 120fps. This would cover an area the same size as a micro four thirds sensor, and would mean that the camera could also accept crop lenses, from Canon's EF-S line, and cine lenses such as PL-mount that have a smaller image circle.

Futureman

What do you guys do for music?

I have a tense dialouge scene between two characters, need some music that would fit. Go to the library and checkout movie soundtracks??

Settled on the HV40. It's $650--I'm looking to spend around $1000 total. What are the best/essential accessories from the get go? Which lenses? Tripod? Etc.

I bought a Canon HFS100 late last year and have yet to do anything with it. I'm kinda wishing I'd gone the DSLR route (since I dub all of the sound). Maybe in a year or two.Here's my last vid made with a borrowed (older) sony HD cam.

I like to make goofy, no-budget live action cartoons rather than trying to make a serious SF epic. So here's Fighthammer No1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8N2qM5iHcQ

Even though I'm a sound guy by trade, I find the sound mix in this a bit over the top and not my best work. Edited in Final Cut, FX in Motion, Sound dub in Soundtrack Pro and Music in Logic.

UrbanRats

Question: are the Canon 5d markII or the 7d good for making videos?I've seen really good images on youtube, but i'm wondering what it changes from a real videocam.

orioto

Good Art™
So i did the shooting last night, and i can tell you those DSLR aren't always you friends when the conditions are tricky:lol

Bad bad result, really low light and all, lot of noise, soft... I should have been autofocus all the time, but hey, the autofocus is really noisy, difficult to use in a symphonic concert with quiet part. And let's forget about the horrible noise the camera makes when you shut it down:lol

:(

oatmeal

Banned
orioto said:
So i did the shooting last night, and i can tell you those DSLR aren't always you friends when the conditions are tricky:lol

Bad bad result, really low light and all, lot of noise, soft... I should have been autofocus all the time, but hey, the autofocus is really noisy, difficult to use in a symphonic concert with quiet part. And let's forget about the horrible noise the camera makes when you shut it down:lol

:(

You can't use Auto Focus on the 5D/7D/T2i while shooting.

Thraktor

oatmeal said:
You can't use Auto Focus on the 5D/7D/T2i while shooting.

You can, it's just really, really slow, which makes it next to worthless, especially as anyone watching the end product can see it searching back and forth every time it autofocuses. Much better to just stick to manual focussing 99% of the time.

oatmeal

Banned
Thraktor said:
You can, it's just really, really slow, which makes it next to worthless, especially as anyone watching the end product can see it searching back and forth every time it autofocuses. Much better to just stick to manual focussing 99% of the time.

Really?

Interesting.

Well, regardless, it sounds useless.

orioto

Good Art™
It is useless.

I should at least have always used the digital zoom to focus manually, but you can't do that while you're shooting, so when you rush it when filming something live, you're forced to adjust it on sight, and it's not really precise when filming from far away...

At leas now i know something. Better use high range iso (3600) than to be low in light. The result will be less noisy in the end.

Futureman

Futureman said:
http://www.vimeo.com/12664564

Just put this together. It was the first thing I filmed with my 5DII, trying to get a hang of the camera. Audio sux as it's from the cam, but I have an external audio recorder now, so I will improve there in the future.

Any constructive criticism on my video? What worked and what didn't work? Should I use more tight shots? Quicker shots? Some of the dialogue shots go on for like 10 seconds, does that make it boring? All of the dialogue is made up on the spot, so I guess we film it kind of like Curb Your Enthusiasm. Each shot becomes more of a little monologue than snippets of words.

Sound will be better in my next video, and I feel like that's half the battle in making something professional/interesting. Lighting is going to be a problem for me for the foreseeable future though.

Nameless

If everything works out as planned I'll have a T2i in a few weeks. While I'm getting it primarily for photography it's video capabilities excite me as well. Perhaps all of those hours self teaching myself video editing and bsing with a low-end mini-dv camcorder won't go to waste after all.

orioto

Good Art™
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thg4r5X1LFU

So, this is the concert shooting finished. Some cool shots in it, the editing is kinda messy but i drop the ball on having a real music coherency in it.

It's not on my profile for now cause i have yet to show it to the musicians^^ They'll make me remove the mouse for sure !

MetalAlien

Banned
orioto said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thg4r5X1LFU

So, this is the concert shooting finished. Some cool shots in it, the editing is kinda messy but i drop the ball on having a real music coherency in it.

It's not on my profile for now cause i have yet to show it to the musicians^^ They'll make me remove the mouse for sure !

Nice ori! I watched it before reading your post I was going to ask you if you brought the mouse or did it really scamper across the floor? That's a great shot I hope they let you keep it in. I liked how you showed the busy-ness of the whole thing coming together. The audio seemed fine to me, very clear and enjoyable. The music seemed to flow nicely with the images. Gave you the sense of being there.

The one critique I have is not so much for you as it is the whole DSLR movement. Completely my opinion, everyone has their own taste. The one thing I did not like about your video was that nearly every shot had shallow DOF with one part of it being blurred out. I just find this starts becoming distracting. Almost like the subject of the video starts to become secondary to the "look" of it.

Sorry through, I did really like the video.

orioto

Good Art™
MetalAlien said:
Nice ori! I watched it before reading your post I was going to ask you if you brought the mouse or did it really scamper across the floor? That's a great shot I hope they let you keep it in. I liked how you showed the busy-ness of the whole thing coming together. The audio seemed fine to me, very clear and enjoyable. The music seemed to flow nicely with the images. Gave you the sense of being there.

The one critique I have is not so much for you as it is the whole DSLR movement. Completely my opinion, everyone has their own taste. The one thing I did not like about your video was that nearly every shot had shallow DOF with one part of it being blurred out. I just find this starts becoming distracting. Almost like the subject of the video starts to become secondary to the "look" of it.

Sorry through, I did really like the video.

Thx ! That's fair enough.

The mouse was there by complete luck. I just had the time to shot it, i couldn't even focus^^

About the DOF, i think you're right about it being "DSLR" like. It's a fad and you got plenty of people doing "pretyness" with shallow DOF and bokeh all the way. And that's actually not film like at all, cause you don't have that much blurry focus in movies. It's more a commercial/macro aesthetic of prettiness everywhere with warm colors and all that...

But that's not what i'm looking at. Lot of film noise, dark contrast, i'm looking for some texture. My blurryness isn't pretty colored bokeh, it's noisy and breathing :p

But i can totally see what is bothering you. Now, the fact is that in this conditions, i had to use the 135mm zoom to be close to the instruments, and and and, with low light, at F3,5 everytime, you never have a long DOF anyway :p

orioto

Good Art™
Mr. Spinnington said:
old but pertinent, sometimes i make music videos. there's more stuff on my page but i haven't been feeling creative lately

Cool stuff with the canvas and zooms, really moody, it works well !
There is something 80's i like in it.

orioto

Good Art™
Futureman said:
Ori are you just shooting on the 550D's B&W setting or converting in post? What editor?

I'm shooting in color and editing in adobe premiere after that. I don't really know if the B&W mode of the camera would do better... I generally play a lot with the contrast and luminosity.

Hello fellow filmmakers :) So I just download Houndini 3D(there is now a free and $99 version) and wondering if anyone has used CG or special effects in there movies.

Futureman

orioto said:
I'm shooting in color and editing in adobe premiere after that. I don't really know if the B&W mode of the camera would do better... I generally play a lot with the contrast and luminosity.

Cool. I'm using a 5DII and Premiere CS5. Gearing up to do a ~15min personal project and I'm trying to make sure I'm as technically sound as possible before I start.

Thraktor

Panasonic have revealed a bit more about their micro four thirds-based dedicated videocamera.

AG-AF100.jpg

Key points:

- It records in AVCHD format, with "a professional PH mode with maximum AVCHD bit rate for stunning image quality." This would probably indicate a 24Mbps data rate, as that's what's used by other Panasonic models with the AVCCAM branding.

- Two SDXC card slots, for 12 hours of PH mode recording if you can afford to cram two 64GB cards in there.

- Recording modes:
1080 @ 59.94i/50i/29.97p/25p/23.98p
720 @ 29.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p
(I presume the 29.94p for 720 is a typo, and that it should be 59.94p)

- HD-SDI output, which is used to output uncompressed HD video.

- Dual XLR microphone inputs.

Interestingly, the photo shows a Zeiss PL mount lens, rather than one of Panasonic's micro four thirds lenses. This, the HD-SDI and the XLR inputs seem to indicate that Panasonic is very much targeting the professional market with this one, so I wouldn't hold my breath on a DSLR-level price point.

kai3345

Banned
So I guess this should belong more in a screenwriting thread, but whatever, this is the closest there is to that, and I don't think this is enough to make a new thread.

So I've got this idea for a film, I haven't created characters or made any real plot details, but I've been thinking of this premise for a while now and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks this is a good idea or if it sucks.

So it starts out with this guy whose in his early 20's (or maybe he'll be in high school or something I haven't decided) and he meets this girl at school or work (depending on the age of the character). She already has a boyfriend, but they eventually become friends. After she comes to him sad that her boyfriend broke up with her, they start to hang out more.
He eventually asks her out. He does the whole awkward, trying to impress the girl while not trying to seem too interested thing that guys do in romance movies. Eventually they both realize they are really into one another and she invites him to a party at her house.

He gets super drunk and when he tries to find the bathroom, he accidentally stumbles upon a basement with dead bodies scattered across the room. One of them is still (barley) alive, and it's her ex-boyfriend. She's done something to his mouth (broken his jaw or cut off tounge maybe) and so he can't speak. He tries to tell the Main Character to get out, and eventually dies. MC tries to get out of the party, but play it cool so no one is alarmed (especially the girl), but she stops him from leaving by getting him even more drunk and seducing him.
The next day he finds that he is alive and well and the girl is sleeping soundly next to him. He sneaks back to the basement to see if anyone else might be alive. But there's nothing there. The whole room is empty and spotless. He begins to think that he was just having a bad drunken dream.
Eventually after being subject to head games from the girl (who knows what he saw the previous night), he finds evidence that what he saw was real. So he tries to GTFO and tell the police, without alerting the girl, who in turn is trying not to alert him that she knows what he knows. Eventually they both realize what the other is up to and He manages to escape but he's forced to go on foot (she gave him a ride to the party) and she stalks him as he tries to reach town to get to the police station.

TL;DR: First 1/4 - 1/2 of movie is romantic comedy; plot twist suddently turns film into a horror movie.

I guess if I had to describe it in terms of other movies I'd say its a mix of Pretty much any romantic comedy, Disturbia,Funny Games, and the first half of Mr and Mrs. Smith.

kai3345 said:
So I guess this should belong more in a screenwriting thread, but whatever, this is the closest there is to that, and I don't think this is enough to make a new thread.

So I've got this idea for a film, I haven't created characters or made any real plot details, but I've been thinking of this premise for a while now and I'm wondering if anyone else thinks this is a good idea or if it sucks.

So it starts out with this guy whose in his early 20's (or maybe he'll be in high school or something I haven't decided) and he meets this girl at school or work (depending on the age of the character). She already has a boyfriend, but they eventually become friends. After she comes to him sad that her boyfriend broke up with her, they start to hang out more.
He eventually asks her out. He does the whole awkward, trying to impress the girl while not trying to seem too interested thing that guys do in romance movies. Eventually they both realize they are really into one another and she invites him to a party at her house.

He gets super drunk and when he tries to find the bathroom, he accidentally stumbles upon a basement with dead bodies scattered across the room. One of them is still (barley) alive, and it's her ex-boyfriend. She's done something to his mouth (broken his jaw or cut off tounge maybe) and so he can't speak. He tries to tell the Main Character to get out, and eventually dies. MC tries to get out of the party, but play it cool so no one is alarmed (especially the girl), but she stops him from leaving by getting him even more drunk and seducing him.
The next day he finds that he is alive and well and the girl is sleeping soundly next to him. He sneaks back to the basement to see if anyone else might be alive. But there's nothing there. The whole room is empty and spotless. He begins to think that he was just having a bad drunken dream.
Eventually after being subject to head games from the girl (who knows what he saw the previous night), he finds evidence that what he saw was real. So he tries to GTFO and tell the police, without alerting the girl, who in turn is trying not to alert him that she knows what he knows. Eventually they both realize what the other is up to and He manages to escape but he's forced to go on foot (she gave him a ride to the party) and she stalks him as he tries to reach town to get to the police station.

TL;DR: First 1/4 - 1/2 of movie is romantic comedy; plot twist suddently turns film into a horror movie.

I guess if I had to describe it in terms of other movies I'd say its a mix of Pretty much any romantic comedy, Disturbia,Funny Games, and the first half of Mr and Mrs. Smith.

Whoops, missed this. I'm a sucker for "dark secret" kind of movies as long as they are convincing and not too pretentious or into themselves (unless its meant to be comic).

I like the concept, but I think you'd have to be careful with the pacing and the "villain", the girl. "Hunter/hunted" fails if the villain is menacing enough. A lot of these sorts of stories blow their load too soon and the resulting "chase" sequences are dull, comparatively.

Futureman

So I'm entering Vimeo's Film Festival.

The contest states:

"In making Your Submission, You must have (1) obtained appropriate releases for every person who appears recognizably in your film; (2) obtain appropriate releases for those locations that appear recognizably in your film and require releases."

I'm kind of worried about number 2. I work at a university and there are certain buildings I want to get some shots in. Do you think there's an issue here? Most of the shots you probably won't even be able to tell where I'm at. What kind of places would require releases? Is this more for if there's a McDonalds in the background of one of my shots, I can't use that? I mean, TECHNICALLY if you are filming pretty much anywhere you need a release/permit, right?

I work at a university and there are certain buildings I want to get some shots in. Do you think there's an issue here? Most of the shots you probably won't even be able to tell where I'm at. What kind of places would require releases? Is this more for if there's a McDonalds in the background of one of my shots, I can't use that? I mean, TECHNICALLY if you are filming pretty much anywhere you need a release/permit, right?
I work at a university too. You're definitely going to need location releases from someone on campus i.e. it's technically a representation of them. Unless you just make it generic and say fuck it to the contest rules, because I doubt anyone would notice.

Thraktor said:
Get Final Cut Express. If you've got access to iMacs in college, particularly if they're reasonably new 27" ones, then you're going to end up doing pretty much all of your heavy editing on them, anyway. Final Cut Express is basically just a stripped down version of Final Cut Pro, which means it has exactly the same interface you'll use in college, and it'll be reasonably easy to transfer projects between the two. Being a lot cheaper, it obviously doesn't have the same sort of feature set as FCP, but it'll cover the fundamentals while you're on the road, and let you transfer over to the iMacs easily enough to apply the finishing touches.

Hmm, that's interesting, because I was explicitly told on another forum that FCE projects cannot be loaded in FCP, and vice versa.

Thanks for the advice though!

Top Bottom