• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF Video and Filmmaking Thread

Okin

Hey, I want to throw out a plug here for our youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/corridordigital

We're the guys who made the Modern Warfare: Frozen Crossing fanfilms, and we're currently hard at work making a bunch of tutorials/how-to videos that we'll be putting up on that site. We work pretty closely with Freddie Wong (youtube.com/freddiew), and decided to start our own channel so that we could go in to depth on some of the work we do.

Anyways, we've been getting tons of question similar to what you guys are discussing here, so needless to say, I think a lot of you will hopefully find our channel useful and informative.

I would also recommend checking out freddiew2's channel as well. lots of good behind-the-scenes there as well.

Futureman

afternoon delight said:
I work at a university too. You're definitely going to need location releases from someone on campus i.e. it's technically a representation of them. Unless you just make it generic and say fuck it to the contest rules, because I doubt anyone would notice.

Thing is, I'm not using any additional lighting. It will just be me, my 5DII, and one actor. And like I said, I think the shots will be generic enough that unless you work there everyday or take classes in this building, you won't know where it is.

I guess my plan is to just wing it. I need to start making more personal projects and less contest stuff. Way less of a pain worrying about stuff like this.

Thraktor

Inferno313 said:
Hmm, that's interesting, because I was explicitly told on another forum that FCE projects cannot be loaded in FCP, and vice versa.

Thanks for the advice though!

Okay, I had heard that you could, but I'm not 100% sure, so I'd check out if/how that works before you make the plunge.

Okin said:

We're the guys who made the Modern Warfare: Frozen Crossing fanfilms, and we're currently hard at work making a bunch of tutorials/how-to videos that we'll be putting up on that site. We work pretty closely with Freddie Wong (youtube.com/freddiew), and decided to start our own channel so that we could go in to depth on some of the work we do.

Anyways, we've been getting tons of question similar to what you guys are discussing here, so needless to say, I think a lot of you will hopefully find our channel useful and informative.

I would also recommend checking out freddiew2's channel as well. lots of good behind-the-scenes there as well.

Awesome stuff, thanks!

Hato-kun

Okin said:

Yeah, you guys are awesome. Freddie is also awesome.

You're all awesome.

Another question for our GAF veterans: any recommendations on just basic information on shooting? Not just HOW to adjust settings on your camera for certain situations (low light, night shoots, action, etc.) but WHY, so I can sort of play with it and learn on my own. Really, technical information on f values, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

Andeeh

Neo Member
akachan ningen said:
Are DSLRs actually good for shooting movies? Can you even hook up an external mic?

Yes they are! and yes you can also hook up an external mic. The problem with DSLRs are that they usually can only shoot for about 12 or so mins depending on the camera. Also some DSLRs have AGC controls which can generate a nasty hiss throughout your sound. Those two disadvantages may sound pretty bad but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by a mile!

its cheaper to get a DSLR with a proper rig and lenses then to invest into a $3000 video camcorder (some without the ability to use lenses) also with DSLRs you are able to achieve that film look by using fast lenses. You can also solve the AGC problem by using an ipod to play a tone sound on one channel of the camera and connect your external mic to the other channel to record. You can later remove the tone channel in post.

I strongly recommend getting a DSLR. especially a 5D or a 7D

Andeeh

Neo Member
Mr. Snrub said:
Another question for our GAF veterans: any recommendations on just basic information on shooting? Not just HOW to adjust settings on your camera for certain situations (low light, night shoots, action, etc.) but WHY, so I can sort of play with it and learn on my own. Really, technical information on f values, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

This site has really great info:D

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/techniques.htm

orioto

Good Art™
Andeeh said:
I strongly recommend getting a DSLR. especially a 5D or a 7D

Are the 5D or 7D a good advise in this case ?
I mean, you tell him a DSLR is cheapest than a 3000$ cam, but the 5D is 2000+$, and it's advantage over a 550d is typically pro specifications that he would justly avoid by choosing a DSLR...
I think 5D is for pros, that have a real budget. And those pros can buy a real HD cam if needed.
550D will do the same thing for 1000$

Andeeh

Neo Member
orioto said:
Are the 5D or 7D a good advise in this case ?
I mean, you tell him a DSLR is cheapest than a 3000$ cam, but the 5D is 2000+$, and it's advantage over a 550d is typically pro specifications that he would justly avoid by choosing a DSLR...
I think 5D is for pros, that have a real budget. And those pros can buy a real HD cam if needed.
550D will do the same thing for 1000$

I agree. i just love the 7D so much i just recommend it to everyone. The 550D is also a really great camera. Its basically a baby 7D, it is lighter and has the relatively the same specifications.

If you want to get into doing short films etc, i would also recommend getting a rig. An ebay seller by the name of gini.1989 sells really nice sturdy rigs which caused a storm over at the cinema5D forums. You can probably get one for about 250-300 USD (just give him your best offer once the time nearly ends).

http://shop.ebay.com.au/gini.1989/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Bo130

Seems like the best topic for this,

I'm thinking of doing a Worms Parody. Does anyone know the font in which the text is displayed on top of the screen during game time?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
WISPY! Love the look of dinogirl. Love, love, love.

Here's what I've been rolling with as of late.

34218_536790151906_83504672_31169548_3678418_n.jpg

Canon T2i (550d) with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, LCDVF knock off and a handheld rig I made myself. If anyone wants a breakdown of what I did, let me know!

I'm gearing up to shoot a feature starting next tuesday in Nashville, my home town. I'm doing it all based on favors and able hands that I've grown up with. 60 pages in 3 weeks. Possible? We shall see!

Is anyone else actually employed in the industry? For 2009, I did mainly reality shows and music videos out in Los Angeles, but then somehow I scored a P.A. gig on South Park.

It's awesome to see other people pursuing it.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Some websites I read daily and really like.

Cheesycam.com
- My favorite blog, if only because his updates are relevant and worth something. I stole a lot of his design for his fig rig for my own camera set up.

dvxuser.com
- One of the many forums out there. Lots of good discussion.

cinema5d.com
- Geared mainly for DSLR shooting, has a lot of traffic and good discussion.

Fidelis Hodie said:
Canon T2i (550d) with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, LCDVF knock off and a handheld rig I made myself. If anyone wants a breakdown of what I did, let me know!
Could you go into more details on that knock off. I have a T2i and several lenses already. Have a rig too. I just need a good LCDVF. Thanks in advance.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
sevenchaos said:
Could you go into more details on that knock off. I have a T2i and several lenses already. Have a rig too. I just need a good LCDVF. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, man. Apparently a bunch of LCDVF knock offs are popping up all over ebay. Here's the thread I followed to find one.

You know they just released a LCDVF specifically for the T2i's screen, right? I got mine before it was finally announced. :lol Not that big of a deal though, the .5% on each side you lose really, really doesn't bother me. Apparently some people have got theirs for around $65, which is amazing. I got mine for 80.

I've never actually used a real LCDVF, but the one I got is solid. Has the cool magnet frame, is really sturdy.

Some real pics are soon to follow.

edit: Here's what I'm rolling with.

34624_537097815346_83504672_31177339_7910661_n.jpg

34624_537097790396_83504672_31177334_4768575_n.jpg

34624_537097795386_83504672_31177335_8221892_n.jpg

34624_537097800376_83504672_31177336_1538714_n.jpg

34624_537097810356_83504672_31177338_4544888_n.jpg

There she is. Left hand for focus, right for steadying/ pushing the paintball stock to my shoulder. Painted it black with flat black spray paint, scored a $10 tripod head at goodwill. Screwed that sucker on! Other than that, I mashed on a bike handle, hand sawed down a metal bar . . . I'm so proud. First real DIY project.

MetalAlien

Banned
Nice Camera rig, I love the homemade stuff!

First cast of my Terminator Skull, learned a lot of what not to do with that silicone.

I think it will be good enough. After a make a better cast and get all the other details and paint it right it should work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqSZG-w8gY

Ash Sparrow said:

Wow, that's an interesting take on a werewolf movie. Almost like Techno Wolf.

Salsa

Fidelis Hodie said:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs045.snc4/34624_537097815346_83504672_31177339_7910661_n.jpg[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs065.snc4/34624_537097790396_83504672_31177334_4768575_n.jpg[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs065.snc4/34624_537097795386_83504672_31177335_8221892_n.jpg[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs025.ash2/34624_537097800376_83504672_31177336_1538714_n.jpg[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs045.snc4/34624_537097810356_83504672_31177338_4544888_n.jpg[/ IMG]

There she is. Left hand for focus, right for steadying/ pushing the paintball stock to my shoulder. Painted it black with flat black spray paint, scored a $10 tripod head at goodwill. Screwed that sucker on! Other than that, I mashed on a bike handle, hand sawed down a metal bar . . . I'm so proud. First real DIY project.[/QUOTE]

Really, [b]really[/b] nice.

Fidelis Hodie said:
Yeah, man. Apparently a bunch of LCDVF knock offs are popping up all over ebay. Here's the thread I followed to find one.

You know they just released a LCDVF specifically for the T2i's screen, right? I got mine before it was finally announced.
Awesome awesome setup. I found the new LCDVF and ordered one. I had been waiting for that but it had been a couple months since I had read anything on it. I was giving up hope.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Thanks guys!

sevenchaos said:
Awesome awesome setup. I found the new LCDVF and ordered one. I had been waiting for that but it had been a couple months since I had read anything on it. I was giving up hope.

Yeah, I got impatient and I'm already spending so much on my set up out of pocket, I jumped on the ebay one. I really, really like it.

Thinking about filming a low-budget music video with my band in the next few months. Going for a low-fi look...think early Blondie videos. I've got someone to shoot it and spend the time needed to edit it properly. Any general tips for making something look good for little to no money?

MetalAlien

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Looking badass! Can you elaborate on your trials/learning of using silicone?

The Terminator head had severe undercuts. I tried to do a one piece mold which was a mistake. I should have split it down the side from ear to ear... The only way to get the mold off was to cut it much more than I wanted too.

Also I did a brush on mold, which was correct but my first coat was too thick. I should have done a very thin first coat to avoid bubbles. Once the first coat set than I should have gone back with a thicker coat.

It was my first time, it came out good enough, plus I am going to do a lot of sanding on these and try some different painting ideas like chrome paint. I also have some old RC servos so I might make the eyes remote controlled. :)

thanks for watching!

Has anyone here made a full length movie? the only one I remember was that one with the flimsy asian guy who was trying to get medicine for his gf.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
akachan ningen said:
Has anyone here made a full length movie? the only one I remember was that one with the flimsy asian guy who was trying to get medicine for his gf.

I'm about to start filming a feature next monday. 60 pages, 3 weeks. SUPER excited to stop PA'ing for a second.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Fidelis Hodie said:
Yeah, I got impatient and I'm already spending so much on my set up out of pocket, I jumped on the ebay one. I really, really like it.
Any more impressions of the build quality on this thing? Like how solid the rubber eyepiece is attached to the loupe itself and how well the frame stays on the camera? I like how with the LCDVF I can order additional frames for if I need to mount it on another dSLR, I'm assuming the ebay one only has one though right?

Fidelis Hodie said:
I'm about to start filming a feature next monday. 60 pages, 3 weeks. SUPER excited to stop PA'ing for a second.
Good luck with that man. Prepping a couple shorts I'm going to be shooting in August/September. One for festivals and one to post online.

XMonkey said:
Any more impressions of the build quality on this thing? Like how solid the rubber eyepiece is attached to the loupe itself and how well the frame stays on the camera? I like how with the LCDVF I can order additional frames for if I need to mount it on another dSLR, I'm assuming the ebay one only has one though right?
The site I ordered the LCDVF from is backordered til sometime next week. I'll post about it when it comes for sure.

orioto

Good Art™
I wanted to do a little movie at Japan Expo in Paris but i completely forgot to charge my batteries -_- First time it happens to me, i was so pissed. I always consider my battery charged cause i don't want to let it in the bag uncharged, justly to avoid this shit lol.. But last time i went to a trip i must have forgot to do it.

In the end i could used half a battery, i'll see if i edit what i did...

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
XMonkey said:

It's extremely solid. Surprisingly so. I didn't think the handle (with is a hollow lead pipe with 2.5inch screws connected through a long washer thingy . . haha) would hold well, but the whole thing doesn't budge. I want to get a real quick release plate, tripod head from manfrotto some day, but my $10 one I found at goodwill works like a charm for now.

The rubber eyepiece can pop on and off, but it hasn't come off during any shoots. For what's supposed to be a LCDVF rip off, I can't imagine the real thing being that much different. Feels fantastic and really helps shooting. It didn't come with any additional frames, but I'm pretty sure you can order more.

And thanks for the good lucks! I'm really excited.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Thanks for the feedback, I think ill pick one up and save some money over the LCDVF to spend on some other stuff like filters.

dogbutt

Neo Member
Hey guys, I don't really post often but I'm in need of some help.

First, I need a new camera. Right now I have a Panasonic PV-GS29, and the quality kind of sucks. I need a camera a step up in terms of quality, but at a reasonable price (aka cheap, I'm a poor college student.)

Also, I've been using iMovie to edit past short films I've done, and it sucks major ass. I saw the Final Cut Express link earlier in the thread, but was wondering if there's something a little cheaper. Any help would be appreciated.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
First day of shooting. Not bad at all! We've gone through about 3 pages, with another 4 or so to go tonight. We're certainly moving along at the right pace even with the ridiculous happening like the power on the entire block going out, people being late etc. etc.

And my little sister took this the other day. She's going to even better than me! :lol

36985_1398379234544_1084166420_30986353_6559334_n.jpg

Thraktor

Another week, another DSLR-based dedicated videocamera announced, and this time it's Sony's turn:

sony_nex_vg10.jpg

DPReview story:

DPReview said:
Two months after announcing its development, Sony has launched the NEX-VG10E - an E-mount camcorder that becomes the worlds' first consumer-grade HD camcorder with interchangeable lenses. Although appearing under Sony's Handycam brand, rather than Alpha, it retains a lot in common with the Alpha NEX series. It features the same 14.6MP Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor but is capable of recording 1080i video at a higher, 24mbps, bitrate. The NEX-VG10E also features an electronic viewfinder and 'Quad Capsule Spatial Array Stereo Microphone' that uses four microphone elements to provide better channel separation and cancel unwanted noise. In every other respect it is essentially a NEX 5, featuring the same user interface (though with more external controls) and both SD and MemoryStick storage. It will sold as kit with image-stabilised E18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS lens and will be available a suggested retail price of €2000 / $2000.

Apart from the larger APS-C sensor, it doesn't quite stack up to Panasonic's upcoming competitor in terms of features, as it's missing 1080p recording and the HD-SDI and XLR connections of the Panasonic model. It seems anyone looking for a large-sensor EX1/3 replacement from Sony will have to wait a little longer.

Okay, software selection time! A raise at my job has expedited my purchasing timeframe :D

I'm on a PC (windows 7 64). What does everyone here use/recommend and why?

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Thraktor said:
Another week, another DSLR-based dedicated videocamera announced, and this time it's Sony's turn:
DPReview story:

Apart from the larger APS-C sensor, it doesn't quite stack up to Panasonic's upcoming competitor in terms of features, as it's missing 1080p recording and the HD-SDI and XLR connections of the Panasonic model. It seems anyone looking for a large-sensor EX1/3 replacement from Sony will have to wait a little longer.
Looks great, was really excited for the news, but I wish it had 24p :(

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Fidelis Hodie said:

You know they just released a LCDVF specifically for the T2i's screen, right? I got mine before it was finally announced. :lol Not that big of a deal though, the .5% on each side you lose really, really doesn't bother me. Apparently some people have got theirs for around $65, which is amazing. I got mine for 80.

I've never actually used a real LCDVF, but the one I got is solid. Has the cool magnet frame, is really sturdy.

Some real pics are soon to follow.

34624_537097815346_83504672_31177339_7910661_n.jpg

34624_537097790396_83504672_31177334_4768575_n.jpg

34624_537097795386_83504672_31177335_8221892_n.jpg

34624_537097800376_83504672_31177336_1538714_n.jpg

34624_537097810356_83504672_31177338_4544888_n.jpg

There she is. Left hand for focus, right for steadying/ pushing the paintball stock to my shoulder. Painted it black with flat black spray paint, scored a $10 tripod head at goodwill. Screwed that sucker on! Other than that, I mashed on a bike handle, hand sawed down a metal bar . . . I'm so proud. First real DIY project.

You wouldn't mind going step by step in how you assembled this, would you?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Yeah, but it might be a week or so. I'm still in the middle of pounding out a feature in three weeks, shooting till 4am every night (like now!) and waking up for an 11am call time I made.

Awesome. My body hates me. Living the dream, right?

brerwolfe

just learned today that a short test film we made in May was accepted into a horror film festival here in orlando. i thought we were making a comedy, but i guess it was just that bad... ;)

but really, a coworker has some friends that do special fx makeup at Universal Studios. they had a script that they wanted to try and shoot, and we had just purchased a couple 7D's.

if we did it all again, i would demand that we use more light... i tried to tell the "director" that we can always bring it back in post, but we can't add more light without introducing grain and artifacting.

i have the link hidden so it appears to be offline for whatever film festivals have that as a requirement, but i'd be happy to get any critiques/questions/comments gaf might want to throw out there. here's the link:

http://vimeo.com/11762514
password: date

here's a still from the shoot:

4598555865_d869534b5f_z.jpg

kai3345

Banned
So I had nothing to do with this film's production, but I happened across it on youtube and thought I would share it here to give the makers some more views.

The Devil and Danny Webster

I'm not sure weather to call it a dark comedy or a light drama, but the gist of it is a kid sells his soul to the devil in exchange for popularity.

As with all indie movies the acting is hit and miss, but the actor portraying Jason, the main character, stands out far above the rest. And, aside from a few lines, the writing is pretty solid.

Edit: Wow. These guys are talented. Here's another short of theirs, the acting and writing quality is much, much better.

Die Now or Live Forever

Hato-kun said:
I just finished my documentary for school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3n4k14sew4

Hope you guys like it.

Not bad.

Tips for ya if you want 'em:
-The vocal track only comes out of the left channel and even so is too quiet.
Then when background music came in it was too loud and jarring because of the lack of 2 channels.

-Also try to shoot some more coverage for interviews to change it up. Keeps things interesting.

Keep at it and on a personal note your New Zealanders accents are boss.

Hato-kun

Buckethead said:
Not bad.

Tips for ya if you want 'em:
-The vocal track only comes out of the left channel and even so is too quiet.

Yeah, I fucked that one up. I had two smaller mics like that for a majority of the interviews, left on them, right on me. In hindsight, it was a really stupid idea! :lol

Buckethead said:
-Also try to shoot some more coverage for interviews to change it up. Keeps things interesting.

Also screwed that up. I didn't get much interesting stuff. There were a few changes I liked, but that's about it. At least I like it better than this film we made for a competition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdh5fvqQRp4

Buckethead said:
Keep at it and on a personal note your New Zealanders accents are boss.

Cheers, broseph :D

plasmasd

Cool thread, I've filmed with most cams out there, and have spent way too much money in the past few years on buying and renting cameras. My favorite will always be shooting motion 35mm. :D

This is the latest short series we filmed for Bitdefender Antivirus on Canon 5D and slowmotion on the 7D.
Nelson's Dojo - Part 1/5

This is my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/eyepatchtv

On the channel I have filmmaking tutorials for Nikon D90, Canon 5D, 7D, T2i, and recently added tutorials for the hacked Panasonic GH1.

brerwolfe

Hato-kun said:
Yeah, I fucked that one up. I had two smaller mics like that for a majority of the interviews, left on them, right on me. In hindsight, it was a really stupid idea! :lol

actually, that's exactly what you want to do. if you have them on the same channel you have zero flexibility in the edit.

there should be a setting once you go to export, you probably have it to export stereo. changing it to export mono should have it come out both speakers.

MickD

D90 is getting a bump..

So I'm thinking of switching from my canon mini dv camera to something in the DSLR.

Is there any cameras that are capable of shooting more than 30 minutes without overheating? I shoot live music and other things. Clients like one solid video.

Top Bottom