• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF Video and Filmmaking Thread

RoKKeR

Just stumbled across this thread for the first time, some really amazing stuff in here. Always blown away by the creatives on GAF. I got heavily involved with a student-run commercial this semester and we "premiered" it today for the university higher-ups/marketing/etc. Went pretty well and they are going to get behind a big web push for us. Pretty neat! Might share it here when it goes live.

Learned so much in such a short amount of time. Shot on a C300 II with a Schneider 25 and Zeiss 50. First time doing substantial editing in Premiere, too, but it has all come together pretty nicely. Don't think I'll ever get to be involved with something like that again, but it definitely was enough to every so slightly bring me into the world of filmmaking, and I'll probably try to do smaller stuff on my own going forward. Cheers!

KalBalboa

Banned
I uploaded two of the videos I took last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdzn_VtI9bI

This is one of the locations, I want to shoot at. Off screen, to the left, I had some LED lights blasting right other the park lights to see if it helps. Might have been too far or not intense enough to help with the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz-BGcqcgT0

This actually looks better. I kind of lowered the ISO for this one cause I wanted this shot to be a darker.

YouTube does a good job hiding high ISO noise. What was your sensitivity for these?

Spaghetti

We got any documentary/ENG shooters in here? What kind of camera setups do you guys use?

I'm looking to direct a mockumentary later this year and we're talking over a few equipment options. My pie-in-the-sky desire was to use HDV tapes to give it a bit of grit, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

YouTube does a good job hiding high ISO noise. What was your sensitivity for these?

1/50, F/4.0

Unfortunately, due to time/scheduling limitations, and my inability to solve this problem, I've decided to not do a night scene, and rewrite the script.

I'm not giving up on, shooting at night tho. Will just have to wait until after this semester.

Strax

So for the last 7 days I've been working as 1st AD on a short film. Cool set, cool people. The film is about a girl who has multiple split personalities. The working title was Personalities. When I first heart that I was like "that might be the worst title I've heard" but I didn't say anything cause I like my job.

So after wrapping up production yesterday I was told the title would most likely be Split.

tumblr_nu0nie4XaU1t4b7szo1_500.gif

-griffy-

Banned
So for the last 7 days I've been working as 1st AD on a short film. Cool set, cool people. The film is about a girl who has multiple split personalities. The working title was Personalities. When I first heart that I was like "that might be the worst title I've heard" but I didn't say anything cause I like my job.

So after wrapping up production yesterday I was told the title would most likely be Split.

tumblr_nu0nie4XaU1t4b7szo1_500.gif

I created the opening titles for a short film my cousin worked on while in college some years ago, about a guy with multiple personalities. You'll never guess what the title of it was (caution, audio is a bit loud).

I like it. Did you just place something over the windows?

Thanks, yeah just a bit of ctb gel, and then shifted the white balance of the camera a little colder. Would have liked to have used a light coming in from outside but there was no way to get a light outside the window, and it being Spring there was no time to wait until it got dark enough to use natural light.

Thanks, yeah just a bit of ctb gel, and then shifted the white balance of the camera a little colder. Would have liked to have used a light coming in from outside but there was no way to get a light outside the window, and it being Spring there was no time to wait until it got dark enough to use natural light.

I wouldn't have thought to use the white balance to help get those shot.

KalBalboa

Banned
The first shot was using my Zeiss 16-35 f/4 and the rest were using a Canon 28mm f/2.8 from university, so not sure precisely which one, just a simple photography one from what I remember.

What Canon to E adapter are you using? I have a Commlite but the flares are hideous sometimes.

What Canon to E adapter are you using? I have a Commlite but the flares are hideous sometimes.

I was using a Commlite for this shoot, can't say I've noticed any harsh flaring when using them, either outside in sunlight or indoors with the hard highlights coming from the windows.

Sec0nd

Trying to get my Super 8 film developed and I've got the option of pushing the film one or two stops. I used Kodak Tri-X which is rated somewhere around 200 ISO I think. I shot the film at a concert, both behind the scenes and during a performance. The behind the scenes stuff definitely can use 2 extra stops but I'm a bit worried that might ruin the on-stage stuff with the concert lights.

I honestly dunno. Maybe two extra stops isn't even enough to salvage the concert bit. Maybe it'll totally over-expose it. I have no idea. Anyone got any experience and/or suggestions?

I filmed one of my class projects over the weekend. I didn't go with everything I had planned on the script or the storyboard.

I have a question for you guys, who direct your own work, do you guys make changes while on set? Like something you thought would work but realize it doesn't or a better idea pops up? Just curious how frequent that happens for you guys.

I filmed one of my class projects over the weekend. I didn't go with everything I had planned on the script or the storyboard.

I have a question for you guys, who direct your own work, do you guys make changes while on set? Like something you thought would work but realize it doesn't or a better idea pops up? Just curious how frequent that happens for you guys.

Happens all the time in short indie productions. Hell, as a sophomore in college I convinced the director to change locations of a shoot with a skeleton crew while we were moving there because I spotted railroad tracks in our way that looked cooler that what was planned. And I was only a grip in that project.

And a location is a big change; dialogue, blocking, or lighting? Running out of time to go through all the angles planned by the DP? I would say it is the norm.

Sec0nd

All the time. Mostly because I write my scripts before having looked for locations and whatnot. So when I arrive at the location I'm pretty much always met with some form of disappointment and have to alter stuff on the go.

It's both a excellent way of working and a terrible way. I mean, you don't really want to have to alter your script and having to fight this feeling of disappointment sucks. But on the other hand I don't think it's bad to aim for the stars and see what sticks.

I'm pretty happy with the changes. It's a short like 10 min film, but I'd imagine, if it was longer, I'd have a hard time managing all the changes I've made for record and editing purposes.

KalBalboa

Banned
Shooting a little skit tomorrow akin to Mr. Basement. Going to try and exploit my Blackmagic Video Assist to get some 4K ProRes.

It'll be about as silly as some of my other skits I've posted, if things go well.

Showed my short film to the class today. It's my first movie, and it was gut wrenching even with mostly positive comments. Will upload and post here when I have time.

-griffy-

Banned
I think the filmmaking process through production and post goes something like:
Idealistic optimism
Cautious anxiety
Despair
Glimmers of hope
Notion of "Hey, this is turning into a thing!"
Disgust with final product
Begrudging acceptance

Sec0nd

I think the filmmaking process through production and post goes something like:
Idealistic optimism
Cautious anxiety
Despair
Glimmers of hope
Notion of "Hey, this is turning into a thing!"
Disgust with final product
Begrudging acceptance

Add these steps when you enter a new production:

Looking back at previous film and for the first time actually like the thing you make.

While working on the actual new production:

How the fuck did I actually pull off the previous film?

I will never make a film that good ever again.

Add those and it's pretty accurate for me lol.

Flo_Evans

Its always a fine edge. Half the time when I do a 'style' grade I always get someone commenting "its looks kinda washed out" or " looks too yellow/green/blue"

like I know... I made it that way on purpose. I'm not blind :p

KalBalboa

Banned
Its always a fine edge. Half the time when I do a 'style' grade I always get someone commenting "its looks kinda washed out" or " looks too yellow/green/blue"

like I know... I made it that way on purpose. I'm not blind :p

Right? I think I'll use Sony's official color-only LUT next time I shoot S-Log and handle the gamma curve on my own.

I didn't apply any extra sharpness when doing the quick grade but the more I look at it the more I wish I put some on. Ah well.

Anyone know of any good free video editing programs that are compatible with MTS files? Davinci Resolve can't run those without a converter and the converter I downloaded didn't work.

Anyone know of any good free video editing programs that are compatible with MTS files? Davinci Resolve can't run those without a converter and the converter I downloaded didn't work.

Are you working on a Mac? If so there's a free app called 'Free AVCHD to Mov' on the App Store which can convert MTS to ProRes and lots of other formats for use with Resolve. Used it a lot when I was shooting AVCHD and it's a very quick transcode.

Are you working on a Mac? If so there's a free app called 'Free AVCHD to Mov' on the App Store which can convert MTS to ProRes and lots of other formats for use with Resolve. Used it a lot when I was shooting AVCHD and it's a very quick transcode.

No, I'm using a PC. Currently having issues trying to edit for my job. Can't get it to work on Davinci, my Adobe Pro trial expired, and then used my co-workers PC for Pro, but the playback is laggy probably because he might have too much shit on his PC and his is from 08. I need something. I might have to torrent. Hope I won't catch a virus.

KalBalboa

Banned
What's the source of the MTS files? It's a container format so you might be able to change the extension and trick some software into handling the video better that way.

Nice. The shot by the river- how did you grade that?

Thank you.

It is all shot in VLog on the GH4. Within Premiere Pro I used a simple stack with Film Convert on top with some light grain, a little film color, contrast curve, and a touch of softness. Then added Lumetri color underneath with an off the shelf LUT I found, and then spun some of the correction dials a bit.

I'm no grading expert but I have a mini process I use and hell if I know if it looks good because I'm a bit red/green colour blind.

KalBalboa

Banned

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
So, I've got a feature-length documentary in the works covering the subject of the transition from physical media to a digital marketplace. It’s focused around local video game shops.

I've posted a lot in this thread but this is different, obviously.

Here's the thesis:
Not For Resale is a new feature length video game store documentary about the mom-and-pop retail shops that still sell physical goods in the face of an increasingly digital marketplace.

This film takes a snap-shot of the state of small business dependent of material goods and the path forward with digital libraries.

Some of the places we've visited:
  • The Library of Congress
  • Game Zone in Salem, MA
  • eStarland in Chantilly, VA
  • Control Freak Video Games in Pigeon Forge, TN
  • Arch City Gaming Company in St. Louis, MO
  • Classic Game Junkie in Glenside, PA
  • Iceman Video Games in Toronto, ON
  • Robot City Games in Binghamton, NY
  • Lost Ark Video Games in Greensboro, NC
  • Digital Press Video Games in Clifton, NJ
  • Thrillhouse Games in Tulsa, OK
We currently have about a year to go with our production and a year under our belt as of today. You can see an overview of the story behind the movie in our campaign video if you're interested.

The film will dive into internet accessibility in rural areas, the benefits of buying retail or going digital, and the history behind starting these stores. We're talking with game developers and physical media manufacturers, too. I've seen this subject come up countless time on Gaf, on how the march forward into digital distribution has plenty of hurdles left for consumers and publishers to jump. Needless to say, my discussions here over the years have influenced the film.

I hope you dig the idea. We're aiming to have a rough cut in early 2018.

Kal, did you try to get a grant to make your film? If not sometimes there are outlets that would supply one for a doc like that as it has community relevance.

Top Bottom