• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF Video and Filmmaking Thread

My final question is how do I make locations feel like the actual location instead of just having two people's dialogue being the soundtrack? For example, in the outdoor scenes having birds chirping or cars passing by and whatnot.

I'm sure others can give better advice, but in that case, you're really building something of a soundscape.

In your case, you need birds chirping or cars passing by. There are places that offer stock audio you could use (Adobe CC actually includes a TON of stock audio that is very useful) or you can go out and record your own!

One other thing: natural "nat" sound and room tone. This could also be what you're looking for. For just about any location you're at, you'll likely just want to record 1-2 minutes of the environment. You can lay this track under your dialogue. It helps to keep things consistent as shots change (provided your actual dialogue is recorded pretty cleanly, otherwise you're just layering more noise on top of noise).

Stuff like birds chirping, freeway/cars going by, etc. should be pretty easy to find. I've dipped into http://freesound.org/ in the past. For the most part, as long as you credit them, you're golden (don't have to pay) and it works for a lot of low budget productions.

Spaghetti

Sound is such an insane rabbit hole to go down sometimes. I know, I've been there.

Thankfully, I met a good sound recordist a while ago and don't really have to think about the technical ins and outs of that shit anymore.

I'd always recommend trying out being a boom op or a sound recordist on a few small productions just to understand how far down the food chain they are, when arguably they are a more important place to put time/effort/consideration/budget into than visuals.

Poor visuals can be forgiven, poor sound cannot.

Currently in the process of buying the GH5 and a set of Veydra mini-prime cine lenses, so the first project I plan on filming (As a short test) will be a gun fight purely on practical effects and good props. My issue is a good squib or one that I can make for portable use on the cheap. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you have a film supply store in your town you can literally just buy them off the shelf. Same with wound/scars. I had no idea.

I'm sure others can give better advice, but in that case, you're really building something of a soundscape.

In your case, you need birds chirping or cars passing by. There are places that offer stock audio you could use (Adobe CC actually includes a TON of stock audio that is very useful) or you can go out and record your own!

One other thing: natural "nat" sound and room tone. This could also be what you're looking for. For just about any location you're at, you'll likely just want to record 1-2 minutes of the environment. You can lay this track under your dialogue. It helps to keep things consistent as shots change (provided your actual dialogue is recorded pretty cleanly, otherwise you're just layering more noise on top of noise).

Stuff like birds chirping, freeway/cars going by, etc. should be pretty easy to find. I've dipped into http://freesound.org/ in the past. For the most part, as long as you credit them, you're golden (don't have to pay) and it works for a lot of low budget productions.

Appreciate it. I usually do grab room tone in any and all locations, but I'd still like to get a grasp on how to crearte a soundscape as you say. Sometimes the fake sound effects sound more natural than the real ones.

Sound is such an insane rabbit hole to go down sometimes. I know, I've been there.

Thankfully, I met a good sound recordist a while ago and don't really have to think about the technical ins and outs of that shit anymore.

I'd always recommend trying out being a boom op or a sound recordist on a few small productions just to understand how far down the food chain they are, when arguably they are a more important place to put time/effort/consideration/budget into than visuals.

Poor visuals can be forgiven, poor sound cannot.

I've always maintained this. I've watched plenty of indie films or even YouTube videos that have mediocre visuals, but if the sound is bearable I'll keep watching.

I got my start in the "industry" being a boom operator, so I'm well aware of how much work goes into what's considered to be a very un-important role.

The big difference between visuals and audio is, for the most part, all the production for the visuals is done on set. You work it and fine tune it right there, and what you see in that little square of your camera is what you get. Whereas with audio, you grab the pieces during the production and then pray you can assemble it all later.

Sec0nd

Any short doc lovers here? I used to be big into creating short docs but got kinda fed up with them. Now I've got an opportunity to create a short doc of a film fest fund about an incredible interesting and sad situation in Ukraine. But we haven't found our definitive story and style yet of the piece. And I'm looking for inspiration. I'm not going all the way out there to create yet another short doc comprised of pretty slow motion footage while the subject talks about his situation. I'm looking to take it more the abstract/cinematic route I guess. Something slightly different. Something that'll make you think about the situation at hand, rather than force feed you the story and tell you how to feel.

Any good short docs out there that do things a bit differently? Short docs that maybe are slightly weird but in a cool way? Or are dripping in style?

I've shot some B-roll with it, but am shooting a promotional teaser (2-3 mins) this weekend with my Cooke Varotal. Got it secondhand from Adorama at a good price o_O It has to be edited and done by next Thursday, so I'll post it up then.

bnzcUs2.jpg

Appreciate it. I usually do grab room tone in any and all locations, but I'd still like to get a grasp on how to crearte a soundscape as you say. Sometimes the fake sound effects sound more natural than the real ones.

I'm going freelance full-time next month and have been trying to figure out which other skills I want to develop so I have more gigs. Definitely leaning towards color grading since I already have a station and equipment for that, but I'd like to develop a few other things, effects/titles and sound editing/mixing being some of them. If I find any good resources, I'll share them here.

The big difference between visuals and audio is, for the most part, all the production for the visuals is done on set. You work it and fine tune it right there, and what you see in that little square of your camera is what you get. Whereas with audio, you grab the pieces during the production and then pray you can assemble it all later.

This is still largely true but (for better or worse) some shooters are now doing more "lighting in post". It's a tongue-in-cheek phrase but the idea is that you rely heavily on your grading software, power windows, etc. to really get the lighting and ratios you want, rather than doing it in camera. When shooting, as long as you get ratios roughly where you want them and you flood the sensor with light, you "worry about the rest" in post.

It seems pretty divisive and I know a lot of DPs (especially more experienced ones) look down their nose at it. I certainly prefer to nail the look I want on set, for the most part. I can see why it would be appealing on certain projects, though.

KalBalboa

Banned
This is still largely true but (for better or worse) some shooters are now doing more "lighting in post". It's a tongue-in-cheek phrase but the idea is that you rely heavily on your grading software, power windows, etc. to really get the lighting and ratios you want, rather than doing it in camera. When shooting, as long as you get ratios roughly where you want them and you flood the sensor with light, you "worry about the rest" in post.

It seems pretty divisive and I know a lot of DPs (especially more experienced ones) turn down their nose at it. I certainly prefer to nail the look I want on set, for the most part. I can see why it would be appealing on certain projects, though.

My DP on my feature doc has a fun phrase:

"If you wanted art you should've lit it that way."

(He's not much of an editor, but I appreciate the sentiment all the same)

This is exactly the kind of thread I needed to see. This is so cool!

I'll post some of my own stuff soon enough but first I'm going to dig through and look at some other people's work.

I just dropped the trailer for my short film on YouTube and Vimeo.

YouTube link:

https://youtu.be/qlQNxAzzj5A

Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/196793843

Hope you like it!

BTW it was all shot on a Panasonic GH4 using three different lenses. I probably could have gotten away with only two if I would have planned my glass purchasing better. Trailer and film was cut by myself and it was directed, written, lit, camera op'd, by myself as well. I don't recommend making anything that way but that is what I had to do. The crew totalled at most 8 people on any given day and we shot for about 9 days. The length of the full film is about 15:30. I have an assembly I'm still tweaking but by January I'm calling my cut done and it'll go off to audio.

Your lighting is pretty darn good. Crisp shots too!

Kazaam

Any short doc lovers here? I used to be big into creating short docs but got kinda fed up with them. Now I've got an opportunity to create a short doc of a film fest fund about an incredible interesting and sad situation in Ukraine. But we haven't found our definitive story and style yet of the piece. And I'm looking for inspiration. I'm not going all the way out there to create yet another short doc comprised of pretty slow motion footage while the subject talks about his situation. I'm looking to take it more the abstract/cinematic route I guess. Something slightly different. Something that'll make you think about the situation at hand, rather than force feed you the story and tell you how to feel.

Any good short docs out there that do things a bit differently? Short docs that maybe are slightly weird but in a cool way? Or are dripping in style?

You should have a look at Ukraine's very own Sergei Loznitsa's filmography. Also Aleksandr Sokurov's (short?) documentaries... they're very poetic. I would also recommend Chantal Akerman's documentaries. For young(er) filmmakers I would say have a look if you find anything by Yuri Ancarani and Jola Wieczorek. Another short doc I saw not long ago and really enjoyed was Condrong, but don't know if you'll be able to find it online (outside of maybe a trailer on vimeo), but maybe you'll be lucky and there will be a VOD somewhere. Uh, another very interesting unique recent documentary (tho it's not short) is Dead Slow Ahead (Mauro Herce). Potemkine Films released it on Blu-Ray not long ago in France

New poster here. This thread was everything I wanted. Was scanning through some of the videos last night and I have to say there's some serious talent on this board. Great work!

I'll throw my hat in the ring here, but let me just say I do writing and directing with some producing and rough cut editing. I'm terrible with technical stuff, so I work with people that understand my elementary ways of explaining what I'm going for. I'm looking to pick up a DSLR sometime soon and play around with it on trips. So hoping I can at least develop a basic understanding.

Most recently I did an associate producer role on this short film with a buddy. Went to TIFF and a bunch of other festivals and has some deals going for it. It's doing quite well. I'm hoping to share some of the experiences I've had with this whole process as well as some of the potential benefits of producing work at the short film level. So we'll see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYKLUccJagQ

As for me, I wrote, directed, and co-edited this short. It's my second go. Some audio issues at the very beginning but they get better.
https://vimeo.com/60764261

And I have a third short that's in post right now (same deal - written, directed, edits) in a development hell. But it's taking a turn for the better now that we changed hands. There's a small teaser but it's not that great.
https://vimeo.com/157653868

Your lighting is pretty darn good. Crisp shots too!

Thank you very much.

About a year ago I cut a family vacation video I shot to the song Summer Dream by Markus Schulz and Mia Koo. I sent it to both of them and Mia Koo responded.

Well anyway I was in Santa Monica on the weekend of July 22nd and I was fortunate to meet Mia Koo and arrange to shoot this album promo for her new record. With about a day and a half of prep and using my brothers help we shot this between 5:30pm and 9:00pm down on the beach and pier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6dBndXT_Zc

I cut it in about four days, mostly struggling to get the video to an Instagram single minute in length. I lucked out with the sunset and the weather but knowing the locations before hand and how I wanted it to progress certainly helped. That final shot is a total fluke of seeing something and immediately knowing it would be the last shot in the video.

KalBalboa

Banned
Did some work on my doc rig today:
  • Picked up a Metabones Mk. V Canon EF to Sony E Mount adapter.
  • Hacked away the 30 minute recording restriction, because...
  • My external battery solution using a 5v USB to 7.5v dummy battery works great with the adapter and Canon's stabilization!

Sec0nd

You should have a look at Ukraine's very own Sergei Loznitsa's filmography. Also Aleksandr Sokurov's (short?) documentaries... they're very poetic. I would also recommend Chantal Akerman's documentaries. For young(er) filmmakers I would say have a look if you find anything by Yuri Ancarani and Jola Wieczorek. Another short doc I saw not long ago and really enjoyed was Condrong, but don't know if you'll be able to find it online (outside of maybe a trailer on vimeo), but maybe you'll be lucky and there will be a VOD somewhere. Uh, another very interesting unique recent documentary (tho it's not short) is Dead Slow Ahead (Mauro Herce). Potemkine Films released it on Blu-Ray not long ago in France

Fantastic. Thanks!

• Hacked away the 30 minute recording restriction, because...
  • My external battery solution using a 5v USB to 7.5v dummy battery works great with the adapter and Canon's stabilization!

Nice.
I'm a little surprised you are not using a cage but the rig looks good all the same.

I ordered the Kamerar shoulder rig from the site and it delivered from China in the matter of a couple days. I have yet to really put it through its paces it but it certainly adds stability and confidence to a rig and is a pretty nice tool to have.

Most recently I did an associate producer role on this short film with a buddy. Went to TIFF and a bunch of other festivals and has some deals going for it. It's doing quite well. I'm hoping to share some of the experiences I've had with this whole process as well as some of the potential benefits of producing work at the short film level. So we'll see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYKLUccJagQ

Welcome. I had time to watch the trailer for Cul De Sac. A lot of that looks good and intriguing. If it lands at the Vancouver Film Fest I'll take a look.

Addi

[*]Hacked away the 30 minute recording restriction, because...

Oh man, I didn't know that was possible. Will definitely check that out.

Your rig is not so different from mine, I have a Sigma 24-105 with canon mount, metabones adapter and the sony a7s. I really need external battery though.

turbocat

FilmGAF, I have a question. I'm definitely a lurker on this thread...I'm the CSD at a TV station, and since 2006, I have shot both stills and video exclusively on Canon DSLRs. We run Canon 6Ds at work.

I'm saving up money for my own personal camera, and though my girlfriend has a 7D and I'm totally familiar with the ecosystem, I'm salivating over the prospect of the Panasonic GH5. I know I'd probably want a lens adapter, but are there any other hiccups that I might run into? Sensor size, crops, etc. have never really been things that I've worried too much about, so I'm not really worrying about them with this decision, either.

FilmGAF, I have a question. I'm definitely a lurker on this thread...I'm the CSD at a TV station, and since 2006, I have shot both stills and video exclusively on Canon DSLRs. We run Canon 6Ds at work.

I'm saving up money for my own personal camera, and though my girlfriend has a 7D and I'm totally familiar with the ecosystem, I'm salivating over the prospect of the Panasonic GH5. I know I'd probably want a lens adapter, but are there any other hiccups that I might run into? Sensor size, crops, etc. have never really been things that I've worried too much about, so I'm not really worrying about them with this decision, either.

Longtime G6/G7 user here.

I've been really happy with my camera: video looks great, menus are smooth, and the app+iPad makes for a great budget monitor.

Panasonic's cameras are Micro Four Thirds cameras and have a 2X crop sensor, essentially meaning that any lens you put on will double in distance (80mm becomes 160mm and so forth). The cameras are also technically not DSLR's, but "mirrorless". They work the exact same way but there's no mirror inside the camera reflecting the image into the eyepiece; it's all digital. There's basically no difference except the camera is a lot lighter.

I've been using a cheap metal adapter from eBay to use a Nikon lens on mine and it's worked wonders. Just have to make sure to support the lens if it's big because it will pull down on the light body and could do damage over time.

Sec0nd

I'm just going to keep on asking questions for inspiration here you guys. Hope you all don't mind. For another commercial project I'm working on I need to create a short dream sequence of a little girl traveling to all kinds of beautiful locations around the world. There's no budget to do this convincingly with CGI. So I'm trying to solve it in other fun and creative ways. Be it practical, CGI or a mix.

Really loving the vibe of this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1OneXTOY4

Or the ending sequence of La La Land (obvious spoilers lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IHCOcqu3sw&t=308s

The kind of janky/musical/DIY dream sequence vibes is something I'm really digging and would be achievable.

I'm sure that something like that has been done many times already. Hoping that you guys have seen other commercials/short films/movies/etc. where they have done some creative dream like sequence! I'm in desperate need of some inspiration lol.

Flare light into the lens and maybe use a longer shutter speed. If you are using a 24fps framerate try exposing each from for a 35th of a second instead of the 48 you are supposed to. Everything will have a bit more drag.

In terms of GH5, its the next camera I want to move to after using my GH4 so much. Love the Lumix.

brerwolfe

I'm just going to keep on asking questions for inspiration here you guys. Hope you all don't mind. For another commercial project I'm working on I need to create a short dream sequence of a little girl traveling to all kinds of beautiful locations around the world. There's no budget to do this convincingly with CGI. So I'm trying to solve it in other fun and creative ways. Be it practical, CGI or a mix.

Really loving the vibe of this commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1OneXTOY4

Funny. Way, way back in the land of 2003 I was interviewed for an editing position with a local wedding tv show. The interview went well and then he asked me to create a 30-second commercial, on anything, as homework over the weekend. So I came up with an idea for a car commercial.

The idea was that my girlfriend was imagining herself driving a new car before going to purchase said car.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a hot wheels car, took a bunch of photos of different angles, then photographed a bunch of cat toys and drew backgrounds in Photoshop. My girlfriend drew the flamingo.

It was a fun project. Took me the whole weekend to start and finish and ended up getting the job.

It's also the fourth video I had ever edited, ever. Google was my friend that weekend.

https://youtu.be/kBZjpu8Njeo

Addi

Michel Gondry was the first thing that popped into my head, he has a lot of stuff to take inspiration from.

Then I though of Woodkid's Run boy Run music video. I like the side scrolling.

I also though of the garden gnome in Amélie that travels the world and came across this homage video

or you could use a green screen and do something like in this music video. With a different tone of course, but I like the "2001: a space odyssey" background

I don't know, just throwing some stuff out there. I don't know why all of the videos I thought off were french. lol.

Sec0nd

Michel Gondry was the first thing that popped into my head, he has a lot of stuff to take inspiration from.

Then I though of Woodkid's Run boy Run music video. I like the side scrolling.

I also though of the garden gnome in Amélie that travels the world and came across this homage video

or you could use a green screen and do something like in this music video. With a different tone of course, but I like the "2001: a space odyssey" background

I don't know, just throwing some stuff out there. I don't know why all of the videos I thought off were french. lol.

That Run Boy Run music video is fantastic. Love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

Sec0nd

Double posting and I don't care!

Need to film a wedding this weekend. I really want to capture the vows, which will be done with microphone and transmitted through an audio set up during the event. 99% change I can't get a direct feed from the audio setup. So I need to record it as is with a mic.

Any tips or tricks to make the audio that will also be blasted through sound system sound better? Currently picking my gear for the event and I'm leaning toward just getting a Rode Mic Pro. But I'm pretty scared that it'll sound crappy.

Any advice?

brerwolfe

I've always mic'd the groom and never had a problem. I've shot 50 or so weddings, they should be fine with it.

The other option is to hang a mic in front of the speaker and then remove some of the bass in post. Have done that at other events (conventions/press conferences) with no problem.

Starting to prep for my final year of a TV and Film Production course which includes a ten-minute film (think I will be doing a documentary).
I've started to piece paperwork I require similar to the previous years but I have always just added to a shared Google Drive folder and added all the cast/crew to it to allow everyone to add their files and edit document - things like scripts, call sheets, shooting schedules etc
But I wonder if there was any sites that helped with these?
I found a page called Studiobinder but it seems to not allow collaboration between members. Even the paid options don't seem to allow it - but we wouldn't be able to afford to do that anyway.
Just wondering if anyone has any decent FREE site to help with these?

Also any pointers on how to structure a documentary, I've only ever made short feature films, music videos.
Planned to create a doc about a local family friend who is an amateur furniture maker/carpenter.
Looking to film how he makes his furniture, ask him about his process, how he got into the hobby, his favourite pieces and maybe film some completely work in peoples premises and ask them about each piece. The crew will only be two or three of us.
Won't be a commercial documentary (plus a maximum of ten minutes), but as it's my final project for my degree want it to hopefully be my showpiece to potential future employees.

Thanks

Quick question: I'm looking for a Sony E-Mount to Canon EF-Mount adapter but am having no luck. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I've found plenty that are the opposite (EF to E) but haven't managed to find any that work the other way around.

edit- never mind. Dug a little deeper and found out that such an adapter is basically impossible. *sigh*

brerwolfe

People I've met say they love it, except for battery and it overheats often when shooting outside. But they love the form factor and output of it. Let us know your thoughts when you get to using it.

People I've met say they love it, except for battery and it overheats often when shooting outside. But they love the form factor and output of it. Let us know your thoughts when you get to using it.

Is this for the GH5 or the G7?

I'm finally getting myself my first personal camera soon. It's gonna be a Panasonic G7. Very eager to start shooting some movies with that.

I've seen sample footage and it is pretty impressive. Holds its own against the GH4. At the very least if you get some nice lenses you can always decide to trade up the body later when and if you need to. I highly recommend the 2.8 12-35mm lens. It is my go-to now. I have the 1.7 42.5 and it is stunning for low light and portraits but the flexibility isn't there for a lot else.

If you were looking to get a G7 B&H has a pretty nice kit that comes with a 14-42mm lens, mem card, and carry case for $600.

The starter lens I'd recommend before that one is the 12-35mm 2.8 but that is something like $700 on its own.

Sec0nd

Super excited and anxious for this weekend. I'll be finally shooting with the RED Scarlet-W. The camera geek in me in super excited and I've been waiting for a long time to test this baby out. But it'll also be my biggest and most expensive production I've personally done so far. And it has been riddled with production mishaps. In part of the insane tight deadline and ambitious plans.

We'll see how it goes. I'll definitely share the finished result here (If I end up being proud of the work hehe). Any quick tips for a first time RED user here?

Super excited and anxious for this weekend. I'll be finally shooting with the RED Scarlet-W. The camera geek in me in super excited and I've been waiting for a long time to test this baby out. But it'll also be my biggest and most expensive production I've personally done so far. And it has been riddled with production mishaps. In part of the insane tight deadline and ambitious plans.

We'll see how it goes. I'll definitely share the finished result here (If I end up being proud of the work hehe). Any quick tips for a first time RED user here?

No a tip, but are you shooting any slow mo? I would shoot a ton of slow mo if I had the chance to use a RED Scarlet W.

Sec0nd

No a tip, but are you shooting any slow mo? I would shoot a ton of slow mo if I had the chance to use a RED Scarlet W.

Hahah no slow motion for this shoot. Well actually, maybe a couple of shots could be slow motion.

I've definitely been over using slow motion on other projects with cameras such as the FS7. So I'm trying to tone down my reliance on slow motion. :')

My next shoot is currently set up for Sept 25th and is a sexy lingerie faux commercial. My GH-5 arrived and I'm dying to shoot the 60fps in 4k. Just making sure my rig is all ready for it and putting it through its paces. Thankfully the camera fits the same cage as my GH-4 does.

Sec0nd

I said I'd share my work and my impressions of the RED Scarlet-W when the project was done. The film turned out pretty cool. But I'm slightly disappointed in myself. As we had major ambitions for this film. But the production had lots of issues. I'm a massive control freak, and this project was supposed to be the first project I was truly going to try to delegate lol. We were to work with a proper casting agency, set designer, DP, etc. But literally everything cancelled on me last minute. Had to fix a lot of production work days before shooting so I couldn't really prep a shot list or anything so I had a hard time letting someone else operate the camera for me so I also did that myself lol. We didn't manage to shoot a large part of the initial script. Which in turn diminished the amounts of VFX work we planned. But I guess it worked out in the end.

Enough excuses, here's the film:
https://vimeo.com/236388327

Working with the RED was a lot of fun. It isn't some wonder camera that is going to massively enhance the images that you make. But it does help you a lot with fixing minor mistakes. Fixing white balance in post was an absolute blessing. There were a lot of different and tricky lighting scenarios. If I shoot with any other camera the colors wouldn't have looked as nice as they do now. The color workflow was really nice as well. I had around a week or so to get the entire film done. Working with the REDGamma4 preset was a godsent because it looks absolutely awesome right away and I didn't really need to spent a lot of time grading the piece.

But the camera itself is pretty unwieldy in comparison to cameras such as the FS7. I usually shoot in a pretty run and gun fashion. The ND filters and the shoulder-rig are really nice additions that a RED camera doesn't have. Plus the long startup time and the weight of the camera with a proper V mount battery don't really help either.

And as Philip Bloom has mentioned, I can truly understand that a RED camera is a gateway drug to other massive gear investments. Using a camera such as the RED makes you want to upgrade all your other gear as well. You don't want to shoot with crappy lenses or lights when using the RED. Its some kind of extra urge you get or something lol.

It's definitely not the perfect god camera I was secretly hoping for. But man, did I love shooting it. Can't wait to try it again. And hopefully have more post production time to try and get even more out of the images.

I'm putting my short film Jetlag into festivals very soon. Anyone go through this process? Can I use a 4K version or is 1080p still the delivery size? What formats are they delivered in? etc.

brerwolfe

I'm putting my short film Jetlag into festivals very soon. Anyone go through this process? Can I use a 4K version or is 1080p still the delivery size? What formats are they delivered in? etc.
It varies by festival. Read the entry details on whatever festival's site you plan to enter into.

Top Bottom