• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Hacks & Translations Thread

stranno

@HilltopWorks on Twitter is translating Playstation's Dr. Slump. 3/7 chapters translated so far.

rPjE8Df.png
G1u2eRm.png

Brand Newman has posted new screenshots of his latest projects: WiiWare's Line Attack Heroes.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

Just wanted to inform you that Gummi and I have released a translation patch for the Wii Japanese exclusive "Zangeki No Reginleiv".

In case anyone of you is interested in trying what can be considered as "Earth Defense Force meets the Lord of the Rings" :messenger_beaming:, please find below the trailer and the download link!

Trailer:

Patch link:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6025/

Oh lord, this takes me back. As a young lad I was madly disappointed that they didn't release this in English and couldn't play it, it looked right up my alley. Perhaps it's time to give it a go now, eh? You're doing an amazing job mate, cheers!

stranno

Y6jNhHd.png

HilltopWorks has almost completed the fifth chapter (out of seven) of Dr. Slump and he is searching for the next project. Seems like it could be Hokuto no Ken: Seiki Matsukyu Seishi Densetsu, which was developed by the same studio and uses the same formats.

DSnpfgD.png

Canadian dev Jeremy De Cola-David has released the translation of Battle Blues, a korean exclusive uber-obscure strategy role-playing game for 3DO.

ymCq3Hc.jpg

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Good old days.

I used to translate SNES roms with Hex Editors.

Stopped when I tried the same with FFVII PS1... man the amount of text were surreal and I started to work... I did not even finished the first disc.

Last edited:

Brand Newman

Neo Member
Good old days.

I used to translate SNES roms with Hex Editors.

Stopped when I tried the same with FFVII PS1... man the amount of text were surreal and I started to work... I did not even finished the first disc.
I get you. I used to do the same and ended up finishing nothing... till I started doing it again for a game I really wanted to understand, and here I am now: 4 translations in a row and I got quite addicted to it! It's never too late to try. :messenger_winking:

ethomaz

Banned
I get you. I used to do the same and ended up finishing nothing... till I started doing it again for a game I really wanted to understand, and here I am now: 4 translations in a row and I got quite addicted to it! It's never too late to try. :messenger_winking:
I liked to do it but it was when I have free time.
After started to work I give up... there is no time unless I give up in something else like Gaming or Drinking :D

And of course now I have a boy and soon a girl... I wish to have more time with them... so Gaming and Drinking will already shrink.

Last edited:
What games did you translate good sir?

stranno

cAxHHsc.png
QQkhUKK.png
bbpaOCx.png

Petit Eva - Evangelion@Game translation for Nintendo DS. A somewhat crappy 'hidden objects' game mixed with other kind of mini-games. But it's Evangelion!

An English translation of Puchi Eva: Evangelion@Game for the Nintendo DS. All text and relevant graphics are in English. Although some graphics will switch back to Japanese in some cutscenes in the current version, they will be in English when you need to read them.

Edit: Lol, finished the 48 levels. It has funny side-stories but definitely one of the worst DS games I've ever played :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

stranno

Ready.

I have finished the first chapter and it's a cool little game. In each chapter you have to talk to many people in order to unlock the actual platforming level, if you beat it you advance to the next chapter. My only complain is the sloppy camera and the crappy framerate, it's all over the place, especially in platforming levels.

Last edited:

stranno

I have uploaded a playthrough of the 1.0 version. Not getting all the "action levels" golden poops because, to be honest, all Professor Senbei's inventions are pretty much useless. They're just somewhat intrusive HUD addons.

The game itself is great, charming story with funny jokes. Art style is better tan Megaman Legends (imo) but worse than Tail Concerto. My only complains are the really bad placed cameras in the "action levels" and the irregular performance.

It is pretty much a Megaman Legends clone with Dr. Slump setting.

Last edited:

stranno

English translation of Digimon Adventure 02: D1 Tamers for Bandai Wonderswan.

xPRSyoi.gif

The next installment in the unexported, self-contradicting backstory to Digimon Adventure 02 is now playable in English!

Mere days after the events of Tag Tamers, Ryo and Ken are once again drawn into a fight for the Digital World. Three of the Digimon Sovereign have been infected with evil and now threaten all Digimon. The remaining Sovereign thus takes the only sensible option available - hosting a tournament to find the strongest Tamer in order to team up in battle! In your quest to win the tournament and prove your strength, you’ll train Digimon, fuse them to form stronger Digimon (with more reasonable requirements than Tag Tamers), and face off against Tamers and Digidestined alike!

Much like the original game, this translation patch was built on top of earlier efforts from Tag Tamer. All of the English graphic and coding enhancements from that patch have been ported over and expanded for D-1 Tamers. Additionally, several features that required link cables and other peripherals have been enabled for solo players as well. Now you have another opportunity to ponder the question that has stumped fans for over 20 years:

How does the timeline between the games, the anime, and the movie even work!?

Last edited:

stranno

okami-hd-de-pc-y-nintendo-switch-traducido-al-espanol-castellano-03.jpg

Good news for Spanish folks: Okami HD has been translated into Spanish, both for PC and Switch. It is an improved translation of the original SwitchCord Traducciones translation for Wii and Playstation 2.

stranno

There have been quite a bunch interesting translations lately.

Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity. The Playstation port of the original Windows 95 game, for some uber-weird reason, was Japan exclusive. I suppose it was a port to promote the two Japanese comedians that put the voices to Beavis and Butt-Head, I can't find any other reason to this port. Mr.Nobody has swapped the Japanese voices with the original English dubbing for Windows 95 and translated most of the text. There are only some Japanese clips and texts left on the mini-games, but it will be probably fixed in future patches. The game is okey-ish, but nothing great in a platform with tons of amazing graphical adventures.

Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2 - Oni Shuurai! Shiren Jou! 7th game in the Mystery Dungeon series and second game in the Shiren the Wanderer series. It was parallelized with the Game Boy Color "port". While the Game Boy Color version was a straight sequel, keeping the mechanics from previous games, Nintendo 64 version made lots of changes to the formula. It features cool 2D graphics with 3D scenarios and very creative camera angles. Not my kind of game, to be honest, but I love the in-game cinematics of this game.

6301titlescreen.png
6301screenshot4.png

Community Pom. It has been published today and I haven't played yet so I'm not sure. It looks like a classic J-RPG with some monster-brewing mechanics.

Brand Newman is beta-testing WiiWare's Line Attack Heroes, a very interesting little game with Motion Plus support. He has contributed to this thread before, so maybe he can add more information.

Hilltop has published the 6th chapter of Racing Lagoon translation for Playstation, the cool racing-RPG classic by Squaresoft. There are still another 6 chapters left, so I guess it will be completed in the first/second quarter of 2022.

Even if the link is a Patreon page, the translation up to this day is available for anyone.

Last edited:
There have been quite a bunch interesting translations lately.

Hilltop has published the 6th chapter of Racing Lagoon translation for Playstation, the cool racing-RPG classic by Squaresoft. There are still another 6 chapters left, so I guess it will be completed in the first/second quarter of 2022.

Even if the link is a Patreon page, the translation up to this day is available for anyone.

Holy shit, ThorHighHeels will cum all over this. :D

stranno

4640titlescreen.png
6313screenshot2.png

Manic Game Girl, the legendary Korean title for Playstation, has been translated into Spanish by, of course, Mr.Nobody. Probably the most awaited PS translation, along with Mizzurna Falls and Germs: Nerawareta Machi (being translated by Mr.Nobody as well).

He has supported some English translations before, so I guess it will get an English translation eventually.

stranno

Mr.Nobody, once again, has unleashed the perfect storm of translations. All of them are Spanish translations, but this could make English translations easier to do, and I think he is working on some English translations as well.

Baroque (Playstation).

8am5VCV.png

Kowai Shashin: Shinrei Shashin Kitan (Playstation)

Fm5bUI9.png

Germs: Nerawareta Machi (Playstation)

4646titlescreen.png

Juggernaut (Playstation)

4644titlescreen.png

Twisted Phoenix has released the English translation for Genso Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki (Playstation Portable).

6319titlescreen.png
6319screenshot2.png

stranno

FBWGkbhXMAA0Bzp
FBWGkbeX0AIw999

Another translation from Mr.Nobody: 7 Days Salvation for.. Symbian!

This one is a classic from the mobile good old days. It appeared, at least, on Symbian (through Mophun middleware), Dingux (the Dingoo consoles custom Linux distro) and Windows (direct port of Dingux), maybe iOS as well.

It should work on S60v1, S60v2 and S60v3 phones, as well as EKA2L1 emulator (screenshots) for Windows and Android.

stranno

Puyo 7 for DS was translated 12 years ago. This seems an improved translation of that one. I have recorded a video of the Wii translation, tho I completely suck at this game.

I have recorded as well a cross play between Wii and DS (well, 3DS actually) at the end of the video. It amazes me that you can still do that in 2021 thanks to Wiimmfi. Tho it requires a bit router tweaking, since DS only supports WEP security.

stranno

5KlJJBU.png
6pOid1F.png

Anime Translations Team has published Soul Eater: Monotone Princess for Wii. It comes with a lite patch (untranslated videos) and full patch (translated videos).

Brand Newman

Neo Member
Good day everyone.

I see the world of games translation is still very active, and have come here to give my contribution to our efforts. :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

I am pleased to announce that, after much more time than I expected, the English translation for the Wiiware "Line Attack Heroes" is finally released!

Please find below the trailer, as well as (obviously) the download link on RomHacking.net.

Hope you'll enjoy this little game, that seems to have been expected for a while, then completely went off radars after staying a Japanese exclusive.

Yours truly.

Patch download link :
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6343/

stranno

6369titlescreen.png

Anime Game Translations Team has published Vampire Knight DS for, yeah, Nintendo DS.

Next Hilltop translation will be Aconcagua, by Sony, for Playstation.

stranno

Bulk Slash English localization for Saturn (translation + dubbing + Twin Stick support) is about to be released.

Team is streaming it right now. I guess it will be available once they finish. Here:

And here:

Released:

Last edited:

stranno

There have been quite a bunch of translations and hacks lately.

Mr.Richard has started the translation Drihoo, one of those 47 Japanese exclusive games of XBOX. Looks like a mix of Minecraft + Mr.Driller with some adventure elements. He already translated two XBOX Japanese games before: Thousand Land and Touge R, among many other collaborations and translations.

Mr.Nobody and Hilltop have teamed up to translate Sony's Aconcagua to English and Spanish at the same time. Here is the intro fully translated.

WPJ1fkw.png
5Iv14Za.png

Dreamcast has received two English translations last week: Radirgy and Chaos Field.

Radirgy translation is based on the only western localization of the game, the shmup collection for Wii. According to wiredcrackpot, this official translation is not good, but he lacks the Japanese skills to improve it, so he left it as is. Chaos Field Japanese retail game had like ~80% of text in English, so author only translated that remaining ~20%.

Brand Newman, the lord of Wii translations, has began another interesting project: Chibi-Robo for Wii. It is a New Play Control version with some improvements over Gamecube. It seems that the original version didn't sell that well, so this version was a Japanese exclusive game.

Last edited:

stranno

1LiZvl2.jpg

New version of the Ninpen Manmaru translation for Saturn.

stranno

opP1H0N.png

mK4Hfr6.png
aeWgEYW.png

Cargodin, EsperKnight and Mr.Nobody have published the English translation of Planet Laika for Playstation.

=============Planet Laika=================

V 1.0 - Initial Release
------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Title: プラネットライカ

Genre: Action Adventure

Source language: Japanese

Patch language: English

Original Platform: Playstation

Original developer: Zeque, Quintet

Original publisher: ENIX

Original Release Date in Japan: ? October 21, 1999

======================================================
Folder Contents

Patch file

Readme

About Planet Laika

Project History:
Project started in summer 2021, I think?
I'd been peeking at scripts for this and Kowloon's Gate
for fun, since Planet Laika is a so-called 'ghost game'
to Kowloon's Gate.
There are several character names, scenes and concepts
that overlap between the two games, so I tried to keep
the lexicon in Planet Laika as faithful as possible to
that of Kowloon's Gate.

Comparisons:
Think of this as a twist on that Magnetic Rose
anime, but add in a slew of real-world literary
references, ranging from science fiction novels to
evangelism and more. Soviet pop culture and
retro-futurism were two of many direct inspirations
for the game.
Esper compares it a lot to the novel Solaris.
Also, mono and I were laughing at how terrifying
lifted certain parts of 2021's Malignant's plot
summary were to Planet Laika. They don't have
the same plot or anything, but once you play
Laika, go give the wikipedia summary of
Malignant a peek, and you'll see what we mean.

Game Length + Difficulty:
I'd reckon this game is a good 15-20 hours per play.
There is one primary ending, and the storyline is
linear. There are a couple different ways to get
game overs in this game, but this is more a relaxing
visual novel in survival horror's clothing than
anything too blood-pumping. Replay value would
be in swapping around party members as you explore
Mars and talk to different people within the colony.
There are a few mini events that can only be seen
when you have certain Mind Scope levels at certain
places at certain times.

Content Warnings:
There is one definite jump scare in the game.
It comes a couple hours in at the Elder's Cottage.
I don't think there are other photo-sensitive
parts of the game, but just be careful or play
with/after a friend who knows what to look for.
There aren't any Porygon Episode segments,
but please be careful all the same.

This game was released on Playstation, so you're not
walking into anything explicitly/visually violent or sexual.
However, the meat of the game is in its suspenseful and
often crude text.

Therein, and without going into direct
spoilers, one of the major themes of the
game is PTSD from domestic abuse.

It comes in varying forms and is peered at
to varying lengths. There are flashbacks involving
physical abuse, verbal abuse, sexual abuse,
medical abuse (mentions of forced abortions,
forced procedures), et cetera.
This includes both towards adults and towards children.
There are no voice overs for these segments,
but they're still designed to be striking.

The game anchors its lore very heavily on
dissociative identity disorder (DID).
The main character is a system with DID or OSDD,
depending on interpretation, and there are other
characters who are also systems in the game.

Because of the setting and the fact that the game came
out in 1999, Planet Laika does an interesting amount
of research into the topic for a game of its scope,
but can also be insensitive when discussing
mental illnesses and the people who have them.

I don't shoot to use any hard slurs or the like in
the script. In the whole wide world of translations,
I'm sure there are instances where a direct slur is
the proper and/or best translation for certain
narratives, but I don't think Planet Laika
is that sort of work, nor does it claim to be.
That's my stance for this and any of our projects,
so if you believe I've slipped up (especially when
talking with/about neuroatypical characters), please
say so. While I don't see us poking and prodding at
Planet Laika's text for the next eight years, I'll
use that feedback as I go forward with other projects.

I want as many people to enjoy the game as possible,
but if you're not looking for a game that goes into
this kind of stuff off-the-cuff, and you don't want
to be caught unawares by it, it might be safer to wait
until there is more public discussion about the game,
so you can read about it and make your decision then.

Patching Instructions

Notes from Esper:
Just drag and drop the ISO (bin) file onto the
Drag and drop ISO on me.bat and it automagically
patch the game for you.

Patch Notes/Warnings
We joked a little about this game being an
emulator killer, in that quite a few tried-and-true
emulators just don't work. However, I cleared it
on ePSXe, and others testing it cleared it on
duckstation and Mednafen. If you're having a gameplay issue or
a freeze, feel free to post about it, but also
see if swapping emulators works for you.

Known emulators to break are pcsx and No$psx.

Nothing else so far.
If you happen to find anything, do let us know!

Translation Patch Project Credits

Cargodin: Translation

Esperknight: Head romhacker

Mr. Nobody: Image/Video editing

Dialogue VWF: https://www.romhacking.net/fonts/124/

Special Thanks:
SnowyAria
Floppy
Gwendolyn
Mono
TurnipTheBeet
Katya G.
C Nguyen
The Opponent
Hilltop
CJ Iwakura
Little Cabbage

This patch is entirely fan-made and unofficial. Please do NOT redistribute this patch in bad faith- whether by pre-installed illegal roms or physical discs. Do not sell or buy this patch under any circumstances.

This was a labor of love, and those bad faith actions not only insult us, but also endangers fan translation as a whole.

Thank you for understanding.

Compiled by Cargodin, February 2022.

Last edited:
Top Bottom