• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II pushed back to May 29, 2020

sendit

And how do you know that when the PS5 releases, it's going to be patched right away. People expecting them to have PS5 patch or update from Day 1 of PS5 release. Good luck with that, I bet it won't.

I don’t. But thankfully my Playstation 4 won’t run away if it doesn’t. Either way, Cyberpunk 2077 gets my priority over TLoU2. And who knows, Cyberpunk 2077 could be the next Fallout 76.

Last edited:

EDMIX

You're telling me they're going to have a backwards compatible version of that game, and a paid
"remastered" version the same day?

Quote me as saying that and we can have that conversation, but don't make things up to push some agenda man.

Obviously I'm expecting remasters still, but specifically delaying these games just to launch with PS5 only for there to be "remastered" versions doesn't make any sense to me.

Correct, that doesn't make sense to me either, I never stated anything like that.

I don't see any type of of huge "remastering" that could be done to those games to warrant a whole new purchase.

Oh you seeing a reason for it or not has nothing to do with what publishers will do. You could argue that same point about Bioshock HD existing on XONE even with it being BC to XONE....yet it exist. You could argue that with FFVII being ported to PS3 on PSN even with PS1 being naively BC, yet....clearly that happened.

They don't care if YOU can see a reason or not for it to exist, you are not the person making money from it. So if Sony wants a remaster or any other publisher, they will add in those extra features, frame rate, animations etc to push that GOTY edition, remaster version etc. You questioning it existing, doesn't stop it from existing.

So you are correct, it is all about the money. Trust me, don't see this as something that you would see if it makes sense to exist or not, you are also not the person making money from it. They'll find a way because a market will exist for that stuff. 100 million people will not buy The Last Of Us 2, so someone buying a PS5 might say "oh hey, a GOTY edition with the ultra secret ending exist for The Last Of Us 2" and there you go lol

So MS announced BC in 2015, that didn't stop publishers from still making remasters for XONE of even titles that where supported by BC. Look at it from there view point, they want to make the most money. Their job is to make the most money, so you owning those 360 games matters not to them. So I see Sony doing some remasters, I like em and all, but I also understand they are a company. I'm not saying it will be at launch or they are delaying games to do so or anything like that, simply that I can't rule out them making remasters or any publisher for that matter.

Justin9mm Justin9mm Ok....that is just criticizing the developers that do those remasters, that isn't saying they won't exist. You can think that this gen yet they are still here. 'It's just going to be a patch at the bare minimum which probably has a more close to Native 4K resolution at 60fps. What are they gonna re-master exactly? "

Likely. Ask those developers lol, they can add in animations, better lighting, shadows etc. Its up to them how far they go. We can question the level of "remastering" they do, but that doesn't mean they won't exist. Heck, we can question that now and those things still exist.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Must admit that today has been a great day for me because of the delays to TLOUP2, Gods & Monsters and Watch Dogs Legion because I know can catch up on some backlogged games after Jedi Fallen Order and Doom Eternal.

As for TLOUP2 itself, im expecting it to be one of the two games (second being Cyberpunk 2077) in 2020 to challenge The Witcher III for my best game of the generation so regardless of when it's released, that's not going to change.

I wouldn't be surprised if the delay was meant to give them more time to perhaps add the multi-player aspects day one via patch. I'm actually hoping that TLOUP2 gets another two week delay to June 12th, 2020 for two reasons - first being that date would be four days after Sony's return to E3 2020 so that would be awesome and second, since E3 2020, my prediction has always been the Friday after E3 so it would be so cool to have a game finally get released on a date I predicted. Hehehe.

Kabelly

Quote me as saying that and we can have that conversation, but don't make things up to push some agenda man.

Correct, that doesn't make sense to me either, I never stated anything like that.

Oh you seeing a reason for it or not has nothing to do with what publishers will do. You could argue that same point about Bioshock HD existing on XONE even with it being BC to XONE....yet it exist. You could argue that with FFVII being ported to PS3 on PSN even with PS1 being naively BC, yet....clearly that happened.

They don't care if YOU can see a reason or not for it to exist, you are not the person making money from it. So if Sony wants a remaster or any other publisher, they will add in those extra features, frame rate, animations etc to push that GOTY edition, remaster version etc. You questioning it existing, doesn't stop it from existing.

So you are correct, it is all about the money. Trust me, don't see this as something that you would see if it makes sense to exist or not, you are also not the person making money from it. They'll find a way because a market will exist for that stuff. 100 million people will not buy The Last Of Us 2, so someone buying a PS5 might say "oh hey, a GOTY edition with the ultra secret ending exist for The Last Of Us 2" and there you go lol

So MS announced BC in 2015, that didn't stop publishers from still making remasters for XONE of even titles that where supported by BC. Look at it from there view point, they want to make the most money. Their job is to make the most money, so you owning those 360 games matters not to them. So I see Sony doing some remasters, I like em and all, but I also understand they are a company. I'm not saying it will be at launch or they are delaying games to do so or anything like that, simply that I can't rule out them making remasters or any publisher for that matter.

Justin9mm Justin9mm Ok....that is just criticizing the developers that do those remasters, that isn't saying they won't exist. You can think that this gen yet they are still here. 'It's just going to be a patch at the bare minimum which probably has a more close to Native 4K resolution at 60fps. What are they gonna re-master exactly? "

Likely. Ask those developers lol, they can add in animations, better lighting, shadows etc. Its up to them how far they go. We can question the level of "remastering" they do, but that doesn't mean they won't exist. Heck, we can question that now and those things still exist.
Dude I was specifically talking about the people saying "just delay the game for PS5 launch then". LAUNCH. Yes down the line there will most likely be GOTY editions and all that crap, but I'm just talking about delaying these last few PS4 games just to align with the PS5 launch. I did say in my first post "in theory all PS4 games should work" but I wasn't implying remasters wouldn't happen which is where I think you and I misunderstood. Just that it wouldn't make sense to delay Ghosts and TLOU2 when those games I'm sure should just work on launch day of PS5 anyways. Especially this late in the gen.

Justin9mm

I don’t. But thankfully my Playstation 4 won’t run away if it doesn’t. Either way, Cyberpunk 2077 gets my priority over TLoU2. And who knows, Cyberpunk 2077 could be the next Fallout 76.
'Cyberpunk 2077 could be the next Fallout 76.' God I hope not lol

"We had no idea we needed three extra months..."

???

"...to make sure it's up to Naughty Dog Quality (tm)..."

Lol, okay Druckmann

"...and we're very Sorry about it, but rest assured, we had No Idea we would need to delay this game at all, even though we literally just announced a February date less than a month ago."

Big yikes.

Well they could still reveal PS5 and have The Last Of Us 2 remaster revealed too. I think its likely pushed back cause development. I'm 100% fine with this. Let them perfect it.
Just like the original one if I remember correctly.

To be clear, I don't mind delays, so long as it's not a Duke Nukem forever situation... I get why people hate waiting, but things are not done until they are.

joe_zazen

"We had no idea we needed three extra months..."
"...and we're very Sorry about it, but rest assured, we had No Idea we would need to delay this game at all, even though we literally just announced a February date less than a month ago."

Big yikes.

yeah, it does seem really strange. I am wondering if maybe the mock reviews aren't up to snuff and they are scrambling to fix whatever the reviewers are complaining about.

Last edited:

kungfuian

Could care less about the extra 3 months, game takes as long as it takes, but they have got to be kicking themselves on the messaging. It's just bad form for a game and studio of this caliber. Like how is their not some kind of internal metric for when it's safe to announce? And if you don't have that really nailed down why bother announcing?

Also wonder if telling us now, only a month after announce, is considered better than letting us know later, like for example why tell us now vs. say for example late December? Just curious the difference in fan feedback of now vs. later.

Dipsed

Good! Is not polish tho don’t knows for sure they are revealing the ps5 in February and they didn’t want to cannibalize the game’s sales and attention!

ZywyPL

Banned
Damn, I remember not so long ago Q4 used to be overloaded with AAA titles, so much that most of the people had to skip some of the titles due to lack of time or money, and now it's a desert. Does MW4 have any competition at all this year?

Bkdk

Nah. Very few will stream the game. Very vew will make YT videos about it.
It's all about Cyberpunk 2077. That will hurt the reach and legs.
It’s a relative short game so quite a lot people will play and stream it, of course cyberpunk will get far more discussion and focus but it’s like people still will watch movies during other big game releases. Last of Us 2 will be similar to a solid movie experience in between long cyberpunk playthroughs.

Last edited:
BC doesn't mean a remaster can't happen....

XONE is BC and you still got Gears remastered, Halo completely remade in a new engine, Bioshock and Borderlands got HD collections and they are still BC with XONE.

All of those things happened before Xbox BC existed.

VulcanRaven

It’s a relative short game so quite a lot people will play and stream it, of course cyberpunk will get far more discussion and focus but it’s like people still will watch movies during other big game releases. Last of Us 2 will be similar to a solid movie experience in between long cyberpunk playthroughs.
I could be wrong but I think The Last of Us 2 would get more attention. It is a sequel to a very popular game. Cyberpunk isn't.

EDMIX

All of those things happened before Xbox BC existed.

Google is free...

Keep in mind, MS themselves clearly knew they themselves where added BC for some time and still made those remasters.....soooooo publishers don't care, they are in it to make money.

Whats even MORE funny, is MS themselves, made a Gears Of War remaster and announced it at the very damn E3 they announced BC...... sooooooo there goes your "thingz happened before bc doe"

yea....

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8773843/microsoft-xbox-e3-2015-games-list-announcements

See....right there "Microsoft is also remastering Gears of War, with an "ultimate" edition"

and

"THE XBOX ONE WILL PLAY 360 GAMES"

EDMIX

Yeah, BC does make remasters any less marketable. If anything, it should pressure development of remasters to make the upgrades more visible.

Thats legit the only thing I think will really come of it. It will make publishers add more content and value to compete with the used market seeing how BC by default will be for most titles, so they have to add in enough to really justify the purchase over a PS4 or XONE copy.

Thief1987

I'll care about LoU2 when the MP game comes out. The first one was a complete bore in SP outside of the story and some lore elements out in the world, which was actually only one or two things.

What could be taking so long though without any MP?
How long? Now is just 2 years after they last game

FranXico

Thats legit the only thing I think will really come of it. It will make publishers add more content and value to compete with the used market seeing how BC by default will be for most titles, so they have to add in enough to really justify the purchase over a PS4 or XONE copy.
And in a lot of cases, it will just become more economically feasible to invest in new games. But it will depend on a game by game basis.

Kagey K

Banned
So what was that State of Play about a couple weeks ago? Seemed like it was made for The Last of Us and then they sow a release date?

Now they delay it less the a month after?

strange.

Google is free...

Keep in mind, MS themselves clearly knew they themselves where added BC for some time and still made those remasters.....soooooo publishers don't care, they are in it to make money.

Whats even MORE funny, is MS themselves, made a Gears Of War remaster and announced it at the very damn E3 they announced BC...... sooooooo there goes your "thingz happened before bc doe"

yea....

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/15/8773843/microsoft-xbox-e3-2015-games-list-announcements

See....right there "Microsoft is also remastering Gears of War, with an "ultimate" edition"

and

"THE XBOX ONE WILL PLAY 360 GAMES"

Jesus Christ... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My apologies, I got my years mixed up.

In any case, people clearly choose to ignore the value proposition of Xbox BC; you can have access to games you already own with performance and visual upgrades to varying degrees, or buy an "enhanced" version... or both?

Immeasurably preferable to Sony and Nintendo just outright requiring you to repurchase a game you already own.

Protocol7

I'm ok with that, take your time, but make it worth the wait...
And yeah, personally it'll be the PS5 version.

At this point any games being released closer to the PS5 release date is going to make me want to wait for the possible next gen version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Smells like a business decision to me. They pushing it back after all the other major releases to ensure they get the maximum push heading into the build for PS5 launch.

Going in Feb would put them behind some massive multiplatform releases that are guaranteed to hog a lot of attention and shorten the tail/hype-period. I suspect the original plan may have been to put the multiplayer stuff out somewhere around summer-time to accomplish the same thing, but they will instead be folding it into PS5 time.

OrochiJR

A shame, but it gives me more time to replay TLOU on PS4. Sony probably needs to pad out their first party releases to tide people over til the PS5 launch.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Depending on what ps5 and scarlett specs are I may wait and get it for the PS5, if I get a ps5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they take as much time as they need, honestly.

This will give me more time to get around to finally playing the PS4 Remaster of the original (I already beat it a couple of times on PS3 with the original release).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
A 3 month delay is not that bad.
However this shows pretty show pretty bad management, announcing a release date and then realising that they don't have enough time.

They are taking the extra time to add paid for loot boxes in the SP game. You'll be able to call a supply drop plane at any point during missions, it will contain munitions and sometimes rare items such as a bigger back pack, a super bomb item that kills all the ennemies in the current encounter, a secret invisibility potion (it keeps you stealth), a temporary haste type effect, or lastly an item that temporarily makes everything "one shot kill".

These new options will be thrilling for all players, it will add depth to the game and provide maximum returns for the share holders!

NOTE: there will be no choice of difficulty anymore.

EDMIX

My apologies, I got my years mixed up.

Np, it happens.

In any case, people clearly choose to ignore the value proposition of Xbox BC

So if they ignored it for XONE, I believe they'll do the same for the Next Box, PS5 etc.

requiring you to repurchase a game you already own.

No one is requiring anyone to repurchase anything. That is a choice and will always be a choice. Many choose to ignore BC on XONE and still buy stuff like Bioshock collection, Gears Of War remaster etc. They were not required to not buy it based on BC, no different then no one is required to rebuy something. They had a choice and ignored it no different. So if this happened even on XONE, the only logical conclusion is that it will happen on Next Box and PS5. You are forgetting those that might own a 360 and NOT own some of those games and simply choosing to buy a remastered version. That is their choice, not a requirement. No one is putting a gun to their heads and telling them to buy Gears Of War remaster instead of the original simply cause BC, no different then no one is putting a gun to any Sony or Nintendo gamers heads and forcing them to "repurchase" a game. They also had a choice of keeping their past systems, buying those old systems etc. The fact that even on XONE they are ignoring it should clearly show its not some conspiracy to force anyone to do something or not, sometimes even the option won't make some people use the feature.

I own a PS3 and I still buy remasters of many titles even with owning a PS3 and even sometimes owning the original.

Think about it just for a little bit.

I own The Last Of Us on PS3, the copy I own on PS3 IS NOT 1080p 60fps.... sooooo when I'm buying that PS4 remaster, I didn't "repurchase" anything as to say that, is to say my PS3 version is 100% exactly what that PS4 version is.......they are not. BC can't make my original copy of COD4 have a larger player base, be in a new engine etc I bought Persona 3 and 4 off of PSN on my PS3 even though I own a BC PS3 that plays PS2 games and even own several PS2s....I also DON'T HAVE A COPY OF PERSONA 3 and 4! PLEASE think about this before posting, really think about WHY someone might do that instead of thinking someone is tricking us or forcing us to do something etc. At the time, it was cheaper to just buy it off of PSN then to get a real PS2 copy. I even bought PS1 titles off of PSN for PS3, even though the PS3 is BC to PS1. Doesn't mean I own a copy of ALL PS1 titles. So I can either buy Parasite Eve 2 off PSN for a few bucks or get a disk copy online for 300 plus as no way am I trusting a old PS1 or PS2 game USED like that. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004W4QJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Owning the original game doesn't mean you OWN the enhancements that come with remaster. So reasons for buying them vary. Someone could buy a remaster cause they didn't own the past system, past game, did own the past game and system but want the upgrades etc. Having BC doesn't mean you want to play all the flaws of those versions.

Gears Of War being remastered the very same day as BC being announced should clearly show you, it has a market. Even MS announcing it on the very same day as BC is legit telling you, IT HAS A MARKET. Has nothing to do with you owning the original of something. Many people own the VHS version of Titanic, that doesn't mean they don't want to see it EVER in 1080p or 4K. How can you repurchase it in 1080p or 4K when the VHS copy clearly is not that? Repurchase that in which you NEVER owned the enhancements to in the first place?

Top Bottom