• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) First trailer up

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me summarize:

The "trailer" starts with a full minute of blowing itself about its critical reception. Then it shows 15 seconds of footage that isn't all that impressive while at the same time spoiling what appears to be a really cool moment of the game.

Awesome. Thanks ND.

Shin-Ra

lol at people complaining about texture quality when the YouTube 1080p compression makes the textures look BLURRIER than the PS3 version.

PVxONzk.jpg
^PS3 top, vPS4 bottom
Come on, we should all know this by now.

On the other hand, they've smoothed over the geometry, which I can't remember any previous remaster bothering with.

Is it possible--just possible--that most everyone else actually feels that strongly about the game?

Maybe--just maybe--it didn't resonate with you as much as it did most everyone else?

What if--just what if--you used a little empathy to imagine the majority of people's opinions deviating from your own?

Fucking CRAZY concepts here. I don't know if any of these things will fly.

/sarcasm

Also, LOL at people judging a game by a YouTube compressed video... Have we not learned anything?

orioto

Good Art™
I swear.. spoiled children.

We had a full generation of "hd remasters" with basically a better rez and that's it.

This, being one of the most beautiful games of the last gen, is given a better rez, framerate, light and models.

Yet people were waiting for something that would look like the order.. They won't spend 20 millions on your remake..

-griffy-

Banned
lol at people complaining about texture quality when the YouTube 1080p compression makes the textures look BLURRIER than the PS3 version.

On the other hand, they've smoothed over the geometry, which I can't remember any previous remaster bothering with.

The PS4 looks blurrier in this comparison because it is out of focus due to a depth of field effect that the PS3 version doesn't have. You can see the camera rack focus from Joel and Ellie to the background in the PS4 tease.

fernoca

Hmm..that scene wasn't a spoiler to me...untill I started seeing the "OMG SPOILERS"!!" posts.

Now I'm wondering what it spoils. :p

I got the ps3 version on release day, but its still home in plastic, been thinking about playing it for a long time but haven't been in mood for it.. Guess I'll wait for ps4 version instead. At least something for my Ps4 to look forward to, haven't used it in 3 months or so..

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Yeah, it seems there's smoother geometry, better foliage, added foliage, better AA, and more DoF. I can tell all that from a Youtube clip when the game is still a ways off. Should look excellent when done.

'TheLostBigBoss'

How can you call yourself that when you haven't played MGS3 yet?

I know, I know. (To be clear I have played MGS3, many, many times.)

But that was more shock, like this.

500x1000px-LL-854571a5_250203130ff5cc2f9629672af027f49a.gif

Same with the ending of Half Life 2: Episode 2.

It was shock, but I was smiling and happy.

For some reason TLoU didn't do that to me during it's shocking moments, I was actually feeling things.

tumblr_mbedg5NBeZ1r8ts7i.gif

SmokyDave

Poor choice of scene there. If you've never played the game, that's something you'd want to see in context.

Maybe I worded it a tad melodramatically.

But it's true. I've played a lot of games as I've grown up, none of which have had the emotional impact that The Last of Us game me at, let alone Left Behind.
I'm with ya. For me, it probably is the pinnacle of video games. It's not my favourite game, but it's certainly the one I admire most.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
youtube compression does this no favors.
1080 webmmmm
http://a.pomf.se/xsezie.webm

We had a full generation of "hd remasters" with basically a better rez and that's it.

This, being one of the most beautiful games of the last gen, is given a better rez, framerate, light and models.

Yet people were waiting for something that would look like the order.. They won't spend 20 millions on your remake..

$60, though. All HD remakes of PS2 games were pretty much $15-$20 a piece.

Hmm..that scene wasn't a spoiler to me...untill I started seeing the "OMG SPOILERS"!!" posts.

A spoiler is not a spoiler until pointed out. I bet the editor looked at it and said "That shows no gameplay. Must be spoiler free!"

Its not a spoiler. It doesn't sppio anything if you don't know the content or reference or the back story.

Alienous

Atleast spend more time than a long weekend.

The improvement seems so 'bleh'. Hopefully they can show some impressive footage.

KORNdoggy

Well, it seems to me they have improved the grass and foliage. If you compare the two.

look at the wall/rock area ellie is leaning on. the PS3 looks to be made up of about 3 polygons wheras it looks smooth on the PS4 screen grab. also the edge of the wall itself is just a single chamfered edge. on the PS4 it looks smooth edged. it looks completely different.

Tookay

And if they don't feel like that "effort" is worth the price of a full game, they can complain and vote with their wallet.

MormaPope

Banned
Err, I agree with him.

Stop being so cynical.

I'm the one being cynical? I can count a dozen games that have made me feel something emotionally or make me think, shit, here they are:

Nier
Deadly Premonition
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Red Dead Redemption
Max Payne 1
The Walking Dead
FFX
FFVII
Chrono Trigger
Metal Gear Rising

It's hard for me to relate to the "I finally felt something when The Last of us was birthed", when a lot of mainstream games have made people feel something in the past.

orioto

Good Art™

It's not a spoiler. Gamers are spoiler nazis. That shot means nothing when it's not in context and is a symbolic scene. That's EXACTLY the kind of shot that a a movie trailer would feature. It wouldn't stop the scene to be strong when you finally see it.

Hopefully they don`t use FXAA as their aa solution and introduce blurriness into TLoU. Corrinne Yu already did it to Halo (Halo4), please let my TLoU be a FXAA free zone. inFAMOUS showed how much better SMAA is compared to a FXAA approach (Killzone).

EL CUCO

A spoiler is not a spoiler until pointed out. I bet the editor looked at it and said "That shows no gameplay. Must be spoiler free!"

Its not a spoiler. It doesn't spoil anything if you don't know the content or reference or the back story.

This.

Hahhahahaha...

For those who can't/haven't watched... It's a 1:27 video. 1:13 seconds is slides of the awards that Last of Us for PS3 got. The final 14 seconds is a camera pulling back on a practically static single scene in the game.

Let's compare:

WvKf9BV.png

WHBiRS9.png

PS3
PS4

(PS4 clip taken from Nerfgun's post)
So they did a little more than just touch up textures. I see higher poly counts here as well. This makes me feel a little better about paying full price for a last gen game and playing it on a PS4.

lol What's up with the grass on the wall? Are you supossed to use your imagination and assume what it's supossed to be at this part?

leadbelly

Banned
Actually the more you compare them, the more you see subtle changes. If you look at the building to the bottom-left of the image, you'll notice there are posters on the walls that aren't in the PS3 version. The building looks a little different also.

KORNdoggy

I'm the one being cynical? I can count a dozen games that have made me feel something emotionally or make me think, shit, here they are:

Nier
Deadly Premonition
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Red Dead Redemption
Max Payne 1
The Walking Dead
FFX
FFVII
Chrono Trigger
Metal Gear Rising

It's hard for me to relate to the "I finally felt something when The Last of us was birthed", when a lot of mainstream games have made people feel something in the past.

"people" isn't exactly personal though is it. who cares about "people". it's about what managed to emotionally engage YOU...and if this was the first game to do it...which it was for me too btw...then props to this game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Guys...It's not a spoiler because it has no context. To any new comer to the series the scene it isn't even remotely ruined, you guys need to actually think about what a spoiler is.

I swear sometimes I feel if some one said that you get a flame thrower and an M4 in the game some one would cry out "spoiler".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom