• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next 2 major Bethesda releases are officially Xbox console exclusives (Starfield and Redfall)

pasterpl

Lol so what? Cyberjunk is also trash and many people love that shit too
So Skyrim was praised across the board on all platforms it was released on, it is easy just Look at cyberpunk meta by platform, and then check what Skyrim was rated at when it released on x360 and ps3

i rate Skyrim very high in my top 10 games of all time (100s of hours spent playing it) cyberpunk on the other hand, pre-ordered but I am refusing to play until next gen patch arrives. But I get what you are saying, people got different tastes, I for one rate Skyrim much higher than any Sony exclusive in the last 2 generations, and I have played most of them. For me, stafield is much more interesting than eg. horizon fw or god of war.

Stuart360

Their first next generation only exclusive 3 years from console launch. Nice
If you mean Starfield, it will be 2 years , not 3. And Flight Sim launches next month and is NG only. And if we want to get super technical, The Medium is NG only, and launched a couple of months after launch. The Ascent is also NG only and launches in July. Scorn is NG only and is till confirmed for this year, as are a few other games.
I know you already know all that and was just shit posting, but i thought i would remind you anyway. And if you were talking soley about Bethesda, thats an eevn more stupid thing to say as we all knew Starfield was their first NG game coming.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Its Round 2.

BjiUNWI.png

This is one impressive post!

KAL2006

Banned
It's crazy that Microsoft won't see anything from their Bethesda purchase until fall 2022, which is 2 years into the generation. Also we still haven't seen any gameplay if this game turns out to be another Fallout 4 then I don't think it's worth it for them to buy Bethesda. As for Arcane new game I think they should have stuck to single player game and chosen a better art style. I think Sony getting Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo first dampens the Bethesda deal between Microsoft.

Leo9

It's crazy that Microsoft won't see anything from their Bethesda purchase until fall 2022, which is 2 years into the generation. Also we still haven't seen any gameplay if this game turns out to be another Fallout 4 then I don't think it's worth it for them to buy Bethesda. As for Arcane new game I think they should have stuck to single player game and chosen a better art style. I think Sony getting Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo first dampens the Bethesda deal between Microsoft.
another Fallout 4? Fallout 4 was a massive commercial success...

Last edited:

Stuart360

Starfeild and Elder Scrolls 6 will probably sell 50mil combined, when all is said and done. Throw in future DOOM games, Fallout games, Wolfenstein, Prey, Dishonored, new IP's, and yeah.

Mister Wolf

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I don't belive either game will release within 17 months. Not even any gameplay shown.
Starfield first half of 2023 I reckon. Crazy to think they make the acquisition, and yet there's this massive wait from them for anything, apart from the two PS5 timed exclusives.

Hezekiah

Banned
Todd said they confident about 11/11/22 date. Skyrim was never delayed, Fallout 3 and 4 were never delayed.

Redfall by Main Arkane studio is next Fall as well.
Doesn't mean anything. And Microsoft will not allow Bethesda to release the buggy messes they are accustomed to.

You're talking two years+ to deliver anything. Elder Scrolls? Probably 2026 as a cross-gen game with the next generation.

NahaNago

Well xbox fans got an in-engine trailer and a cg trailer so yay. No idea on if starfield is coming out next year or not. Kinda surprised we got no gameplay at all for the game coming out in 18 months. I'm glad we got confirmation that it was never coming to ps5. I figured it never was but folks kept saying Microsoft would be stupid to leave money on the table just how folks keep saying that concerning playstation games coming to pc. Microsoft now pretty much dominates the field when it comes to massive western rpgs.

Hezekiah

Banned
It was always stupid reasoning. Yes games where a contract is already in place, but why on earth would they spend that much money to then put the game on competing platforms lol. Oh thats right, because 7.5bil is a huge amount, and they need Playstaion gamers to recoup that money. Yeah Microsoft probably spend that much on their Christmas party lol.
Some people on here come across as really delusional.

That $7.5bn is significantly more than the Xbox gaming division makes in any single year. Hell, the Zenimax acquisition and the money being ploughed into GamePass mean the Xbox division's profits are going to small this entire generation.

At some point the Xbox division needs to stand on its own feet. Some people act like Microsoft are the gaming equivalent of Man City, just throwing money around from a bottomless pit because they can 😄. The aim of the game is ROI which is why we will see a change in approach sooner rather than later - they have a duty to their stakeholders (and these don't align well with those of forum fanboys).

Alx

It's crazy that Microsoft won't see anything from their Bethesda purchase until fall 2022, which is 2 years into the generation.
Two years is nothing for big companies, they're planning everything on the long term. They probably have a business plan spanning over at least the next decade, what happens from now to 2022 is already old topics for them, most likely.

Joey.

At first I was a bit unsure, I thought maybe there was a slim chance it would launch on GP on Xbox and maybe later on other platforms but them came to my senses and knew it would be exclusive.

I really like the Xbox family of exclusives, and I LOVE Game Pass + now the Bethesda library....it was a no brainer for me to get an XSX.

I'm not a PC gamer so XSX became must-have for me. Don't regret it one bit.

This gen is going to be awesome.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
At some point the Xbox division needs to stand on its own feet. Some people act like Microsoft are the gaming equivalent of Man City, just throwing money around from a bottomless pit because they can 😄. The aim of the game is ROI which is why we will see a change in approach sooner rather than later - they have a duty to their stakeholders (and these don't align well with those of forum fanboys).

I‘m (un?) lucky enough to work for a major corporation like Microsoft, and am familiar with the way publicly floated companies operate.

I cringe deeply when I read people saying that XBox has money to throw around as much as it wants.

No, it doesn’t. It is allowed a budget for development, and that development must see a return on the investment. If the return doesn’t happen within an accepted time frame, then Xbox will be in trouble.

Shareholders want to see profit. If they don’t get it, there isn’t a company on this planet that can stop unproductive departments getting gutted.

The Bethesda acquisition was a huge and somewhat risky move for the gaming division. It could well be an extremely good move, time will tell… but if you think it was done without a huge amount of due diligence and analysis from shareholders - who will want that shit shut down hard if it doesn’t earn them back their money - you’re living in a dream world.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
New IP versus established IP.

Restricting established properties and updates/expansions to published titles is a PR risk as it potentially alienates existing customers. It also creates a scenario where sales and ROI can clearly be compared pre and post exclusivity. Its just not desirable.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't know what Redfall is but Starfield might get me to buy a series S or X. Thankfully the release date isn't anytime soon.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Not a chance.

Every purely Bethesda game will be exclusive, but this isn’t just a Bethesda game, it’s also Disney. Not a hope in hell of Disney leaving all those lovely Playstation dollars on the table.
The announcement teaser was not retweeted by Sony even though they retweet most major announcements. Infact
I also see a lot of XGS employees retweeting this but not SIE employees

At first I was a bit unsure, I thought maybe there was a slim chance it would launch on GP on Xbox and maybe later on other platforms but them came to my senses and knew it would be exclusive.
Anyone would when they see these posts all over GAF after the acquisition announcement.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The announcement teaser was not retweeted by Sony even though they retweet most major announcements. Infact

Anyone would when they see these posts all over GAF after the acquisition announcement.

Well, I’ll need a little bit more than what happens on Twitter. I make it a rule of life never to base opinions on Twitter. It has thus far served me well.

Oh… and the sad little fanboy dragging up of old posts and opinions, since changed due to new information? Nice work 👏👏

I won’t do the same to you, because I frankly don’t care enough, and have a life. You should get one. They’re great!

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How dare they leave so much money on the table?

Seriously, to the surprise of no one. You don't spend 7.5 billies to keep the status quo.

Lots of truth here. Hopefully this means we can get rid of the complaining about Sony when they pay for exclusives. It's all business. It's so tiresome to hear people complain that Playstation is anti-consumer, yet something like this is okay with the same people.

Again, I'm okay with MS doing this.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

That $7.5bn is significantly more than the Xbox gaming division makes in any single year. Hell, the Zenimax acquisition and the money being ploughed into GamePass mean the Xbox division's profits are going to small this entire generation.

you think they bought them and expecting it back in a single year? your not factoring PC when it comes to money made in a single year.

like Disney when they bought Star Wars and lucasfilm they worked on a multi year plan and when you look at the amount of games coming to game pass its just gonna grow and grow

Spoken like a true business expert. Just one thing: those $7.5b didn't just vanish into thin air. It's not like buying Adebayor and setting money on fire with basically zero return :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom