• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NXE Launch Thead - Nov 19th at 10am GMT

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm somewhat disappointed so far. Sure, it looks neat and all, but as soon as you actually start using the menus and try to navigate quickly between choices it becomes apparent that this overhaul wasn't made to improve usability, but rather to attract people with its looks (I assume the non-hardcore crowd). And since I'm one of those guys who prefer an effective UI rather than a flashy one, this is an obvious downgrade for me. I'll most likely use the guide button menu more in the end, but it's nice of them to leave it in there at least.
And I still appreciate the features buried underneath all the graphics, being able to install games is great (too bad I only have 20 gb :/).

cameltoe

BenjaminBirdie said:
Ha! Yeah. I think it's actually pretty cool to get a sense of what Gaffers look like, at least vaguely.

:lol

you all look like fruits!! Vaguely that is...

Kuroyume

Banned
Some of the XNA games are impressive.

Artoon
Colosseum (Too Human but with better art/music/gameplay)
Biology Battle (GeoWars)
Weapon of Choice (Is that Brimley?)

Weisheit

JonnyBrad said:
Man the customization for the avatars is really really crap. Hard to make it look anything like you cos they don't have sliders etc.
Yep, I thought these would be better than the Miis:(

65536 said:
Is there any way of going back to the old dashboard after installing this? It's like Vista for your 360: New, flashier UI that runs slower, is worse for navigation, has some very questionable UI decisions…
It runs faster though, and I actually like this more for navigation.

Wollan

Pros:
+ Love the integration, how all possible info related to a game is displayed across a few pages next to it.
+ Party system.
+ Game installs (though didn't help at all seemingly for Gears 2).
+ Web integration (Marketplace, gamercards..etc).

Cons:
- Dashboard is slower to use than ever, animation delay between each choice, functions I use the most seems spread around.
- Not a fan of the visual look of the dashboard. It's still overly colorful and whimsical.
- Scrolling to the right end halts you so you will have to back up again. EDIT: Apparantly you can sidestep this with the triggers.

Personal:
- My launch X360 (knocks on wood) still is loud when in fan mode only.
- Europe/Norway Live: no Netflix, no XNA, no movie marketplace.

Wollan.png

Wollan said:
- Scrolling to the right end halts you so you will have to back up again.
[/IMG]

You can hit LB or RB to quickly scroll left and right. Also, you can hit LT/RT to scroll quickly up and down.

Anywho, is Xbox Live down? I'm getting error messages left and right.

Netflix is FUCK AWESOME.

I don't know if it actually broadcast in HD because I'm not on HDMI, but it said it was. Anyway, 30 Rock played FUCKING INSTANTLY (and apparently in HD. It looked good, anyways.)

And there was a CRITERION in my Instant Queue!

AMAZING.

360 WINS.

I like the new dashboard a lot. It's far more fluid than the previous one. Microsoft will see more sales on the marketplace because now we'll know what's coming out soon instead of having to go digging for it.

Oh, and:

Also, the combination of an Avatar and the actual Game Box on your friends list is a lot neater. Like I saw my friend playing Mirror's Edge and I was like "Shit! When did George get Mirror's Edge"?

I don't know, it's more of an immediate thing now.

bumpkin

Wollan said:
Cons:
- Dashboard is slower to use than ever, animation delay between each choice, functions I use the most seems spread around.
Uh, what? I seem to recall a ton of people saying it was fast and fluid. Classic case of blowing smoke or is it slow because you have a launch 360 that's tired?

How's the speed for everyone else who's got it?

Demaar

Only two major gripes so far.

Major Gripe 1. I was expecting my games to have their own menu thing that I could swoosh through like the Marketplace. You know, see the "boxart" for my arcade games and stuff. In fact, I expected a lot more stuff to be swooshy menu style instead of in lists like the old interface. Feels like a skin rather than a new UI in a few places.

Major Gripe 2. Not keen that it dumps you on the Spotlight when you boot up or log in. None of that stuff is of any interest to me what so ever, and I always go to the My Xbox or Game Market place menus.

A minor gripe I have is that when you go to Game Content in the marketplace it has a whole bunch of crap that's not relevant to me, and THEN games in my library. Library should be first.

Oh wait, another major gripe, menus don't loop around. They should totally loop around. Pretty happy with everything else though. I like the avatar more than expected, I wish I could do more with it outside of crappy arcade games I'm never going to buy.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wow netflix streaming is amazing. Just restarted my account in 5 minutes I was activated and watching a movie in HD. Flawless victory.

Rlan

Wollan said:
- Scrolling to the right end halts you so you will have to back up again.

You can press the trigger buttons and it will go all the way to that one side instantly :)

- Europe/Norway Live: no Netflix, no XNA(?), no movie marketplace.

Currently XNA is only available in Canada, France, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, and the United States. It sucks. However you CAN buy and play them right now if you get an account from elsewhere!

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2008/11/how_to_play_community_games_wh.php

Are all Euro points the same? I would think they are. failing that make a GB / American account and download away :)

Kuroyume

Banned
The Dashboard does seem to load slower in places but I think that is tied to the servers getting hammered. Trying to load the page to check out the trials on XNA takes a while and often ends up with error codes.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
bumpkin said:
Uh, what? I seem to recall a ton of people saying it was fast and fluid. Classic case of blowing smoke or is it slow because you have a launch 360 that's tired?

How's the speed for everyone else who's got it?
Slow for me. Slower than when I had OXE.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Goodbye old Dashboard, it's been nice knowing ya, hello NXE hotness!

Got home about an hour ago, it downloaded in ten seconds, got setup in about a minute and 10 seconds, then I made my Avatar, which turned out to be dead-on - and to think I hated the Avatars in the beginning!

DXLR8R.png

And yeah, after not liking the idea of Avatars right off the bat, I gotta say that I love that now I can get a good idea of what people on my friends list (and on GAF) look like now - the cool thing is that so far all of my friends' Avatars look exactly like themselves in real life too, so that's pretty cool...

Everything looks so slick right now - so impressive! The free Gears 2 Premium theme is pretty damn cool! Definitely gonna be using that for a long time!

Love how all of the games are represented by the boxart now, which gives it a whole new look - watching the friends list, and even seeing the people they are partied up with is a very neat touch as well (Protip for ANY scrolling list - LB & RB makes you go super fast through them all)

Very, very impressed with the update! Gonna go try out the 8-person party thing right now since people have been inviting me to it all this time!

Cowie

Is there any way to remove that huge gray horizon from the bottom of the screen? It's cutting off half of my haruhi >:|

mandiller

Not too shabby at all with the Avatars. It actually looks like me. Unfortunately they really need more clothes options, plus you need to be able to change the colour of every item of clothing.

Also on the dashboard put Friends right next to My Xbox and also don't automatically go to Spotlight as the default channel. I haven't decided yet if the marketplace is any good, it's still broken and not loading half the things.

LiK

Kuroyume said:
The Dashboard does seem to load slower in places but I think that is tied to the servers getting hammered. Trying to load the page to check out the trials on XNA takes a while and often ends up with error codes.

yea, the surge in d/ls is probably slowing it down.

FFChris

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about the avatars being limited in look, all the ones on the past two pages look very different.

I'll have to play with it myself I guess.

PSGames

65536 said:
That's bizarre. My relatively new elite playing games off the hard drive is about the same noise as my launch PS3 loading games off the disc, with the PS3 being much quieter when loading games off is hard drive.

Is there any way of going back to the old dashboard after installing this? It's like Vista for your 360: New, flashier UI that runs slower, is worse for navigation, has some very questionable UI decisions…

wrong

I only got to install and check it out really quickly this morning. I just picked the blonde black woman as my avatar since I didn't have time to customize. It did seem to have all the stuff I use spread out more, and it didn't seem any quicker. The first order of business will probably be to install Dead Rising, as I've been waiting for the installation feature to play it since its loading is the most frustrating I've ever encountered. I hope it fits on the space I have left on my 20GB. :(

Downloaded and installed the NXE this morning. I never turn my 360 on before going to work, but had to today. Spent some time with the Avatar's. Not a big fan, but so far they're ok. Only had a short time to look at other things, but was impressed with what I saw. I'll start installing games later tonight. So glad I have an Elite right now.

SuperPac

Getting the message "can't retrieve information from Xbox Live" a lot currently. Trying to d/l Kingdom for Keflings and Photo Party. Can't. Anyone else?

Am I missing how to change the color of the bottom half of the desktop? I don't mind the look but I'd really prefer it match the background image I use.

As for avatars, they definitely need more clothing options (I think there are about 4 of us on this page alone that are using the same shirt) -- but it is a solid first step. Ability to change coloring on clothing would be the biggest boon.

Still, here I am in all of my avatar glory:

Back off ladies.. I'm already taken!

Downloaded this morning super fast, am already installing some games. So far the interface seems cool although I haven't messed around with it too much. Not able to connect to Netflix yet though.

Top Bottom