• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons 600 Marathon |OT| | Starting Thursday at Noon EST / 9am PST on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeesh, this Mercari company really went all-in with advertising during this. Literally every commercial break.

UberTag

It's crazy how different season 1 is compared to the rest of the early seasons. Still enjoy it.
They were still figuring out their rhythm at this point but there are a handful of episodes that still hold up rather well today... namely Bart the General, Moaning Lisa and Life on the Fast Lane (which is the highlight of Season 1 and airs next at 4pm). It boggles the mind how absolutely terrible the HD era writers are with marriage crisis episodes after delivering that gem in Episode 9.

They were still figuring out their rhythm at this point but there are a handful of episodes that still hold up rather well today... namely Bart the General, Moaning Lisa and Life on the Fast Lane (which is the highlight of Season 1 and airs next at 4pm). It boggles the mind how absolutely terrible the HD era writers are with marriage crisis episodes after delivering that gem in Episode 9.

I still love season 1 cause of the different vibe.

vypek

Marge never has another serious suitor or person who she has affection for like the bowling instructor does she? Homer has at least a couple I can think of who really pursue him

Nudull

Banned
It's always fascinating to watch a show like The Simpsons from the very early days, to see how everything is just beginning to evolve into that classic style.

I'm in...again lol. Doesn't get old, and I just rewatched classic era 1.5x over recently. Always fun to join in with Gaf.

Recently listened to the commentary tracks that Conan did, if anyone has FXX in their cable package highly recommend going to simpsonsworld.com and giving them a listen, easily some of the funniest. The ones he's on are:

Season 4:

New Kid on the Block
Marge vs. the Monorail

Season 5:

Homer Goes to College
Treehouse of Horror IV
Bart Gets Famous
My favorite commentary is Homer's Barbershop Quartet with Jon Lovitz.

Jon Lovitz: "Hi, I'm Jon Lovitz. I'm not in this episode... I don't know why I'm here."

(Later)

Mike Reiss (?): "So why did you do commentary for this episode but not for The Critic DVD?"
Jon Lovitz: "Nobody asked!"

vypek

I wish they left Bart with some kind of growth so he isn't always just a mischievous idiot. Would be nice if they let him keep the ability to speak French

Richie

I wish they left Bart with some kind of growth so he isn't always just a mischievous idiot. Would be nice if they let him keep the ability to speak French

In all fairness Bart wasn't an idiot in the classic years (sans the occasional gag here and there), he just wasn't book smart, but he did commendable efforts in areas that actually interested him (off the top of my head, the Black Widower episode, Separate Vocations one, Kamp Krusty, The Front, there's lots ...).

UberTag

If you locked yourself in a room with season one and the arcade machine and came out in 2016, your brain would explode!
Just the fact that the show was still on the air 29 years after the first Ullman short without interruption would blow my mind.
Then someone would hand me their phone and tell me episodes were streaming directly to it and I would faint from shock.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's funny how Krusty got a heart attack from his pork products when it turns out later he's Jewish.

Kelsey Grammer sounds so young here.

If you have PlayStation Vue, make sure you add The Simpsons to your shows. You'll have the entire series on demand for a whole month.

BatDan

Black hair Moe
Blonde hair Barney
Season 1 was always so weird.

Homer Simpson: Local Boob

In episode 4, I think, Homer also mentions in the bar that his mom used to say he was a disappointment. It's just another thing they forgot about later, I guess.

Also, it turns out that this marathon is affected by time zones, so I only missed three episodes.

BatDan

"Part of this D Minus belongs to God"
I'm surprised this isn't a more quoted line.

vypek

Besides the actual content of the show, I like getting a nostalgic feeling when watching these episodes as well as image and word associations. Read the description of this episode and first word that came to mind was "dimoxinil" and Homer hugging some random guy we don't see again.

Anyone remember what dimoxinil was actually based on? Pretty sure there is a chemical or something in a hair growth product that has a similar name

Think this might be the same episode where Patty and Selma were stunned at Homer with hair too :)

This beautiful lively animation when Homer runs through the streets after he woke up with hair :)

This marathon always gives me the strangest feels

UberTag

In episode 4, I think, Homer also mentions in the bar that his mom used to say he was a disappointment. It's just another thing they forgot about later, I guess.

Also, it turns out that this marathon is affected by time zones, so I only missed three episodes.
They're airing episodes on the West Coast with a three-hour delay?
What a way to take away from the communal aspect of enjoying this with everyone at the same time. I'll need to update the OP.

BatDan

Early Harry Shearer Burns sounds less raspy.

Thank you! Couldn't remember the other name. I guess I should have just looked up Rogaine to find it.

And this makes me wonder if the character Patty was already a lesbian at this point. I don't know when it was established.

Not for a looooong time. Though the third Treehouse of Horror seemed to imply with the line "there goes the last lingering thread of my heterosexuality". But being Treehouse of Horror, it was non-canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom