• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The thirst is real: a Destiny TTK quest is exclusive to Red Bull (Until Jan 1, 2016)

Zocano

Just because something's been done before doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

And I don't remember Gamer Fuel being linked to an exclusive quest in Halo or something like that.

Getting an exclusive mission or map in Halo would be very different as far as content ratio than a meager nothing quest in Destiny. You play a twenty minute quest once on your character and then never again because that's not where the grind or meat of the game actually is. It's like a bonus WoW quest or something, it'll mean nothing in the main scope of play.

Well that's just silly. Why does the Millenium Falcon, from a time long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, name itself after one of Earth's birds of prey? Why are there even humans in that galaxy at all? And why do they speak English!?

IMO, it's a clear holdover when the game was going to be an sword & shield adventure MMO-ish game. Doesn't really work as well when you change the baddies from "different races living on one planet" to "different species living across the solar system".

TBH, I think the aliens are the least compelling aspect of Destiny. They're all bipedal warmongers who want to kill you. Or a floating shape, that wants to kill you. Oh, the Fallen have four arms and can climb on walls? Give em guns and make them shoot at you while standing on the ground.

I'm sure there's a ton of cool stuff in the Grimoire (I've read a good deal of it), but you could be fighting other humans and there would be no real difference.

IMO, it's a clear holdover when the game was going to be an sword & shield adventure MMO-ish game. Doesn't really work as well when you change the baddies from "different races living on one planet" to "different species living across the solar system".

TBH, I think the races are the least compelling aspect of Destiny. They're all bipedal warmongers who want to kill you. Or a floating shape, that wants to kill you.

I'm sure there's a ton of cool stuff in the Grimoire (I've read a good deal of it), but you could be fighting other humans and there would be no real difference.

No, it's just standard practice in all sci-fi and fantasy. They use idioms from our own culture, because otherwise where the hell do you draw the line? Like my Star Wars example, does that bother you? Would you rather they had no references to falcons, no humans, no English language, and expected their audience to learn entirely new languages for the sake of immersion and consistency with the portrayal of a distant galaxy?

You're just expected to look past these things, and not dissect the obvious flaws.

Getting an exclusive mission or map in Halo would be very different as far as content ratio than a meager nothing quest in Destiny. You play a twenty minute quest once on your character and then never again because that's not where the grind or meat of the game actually is. It's like a bonus WoW quest or something, it'll mean nothing in the main scope of play.

For a game that still keep us playing in vanilla zones after two expansions, it means a lot I think.

Just because something's been done before doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

And I don't remember Gamer Fuel being linked to an exclusive quest in Halo or something like that.

Did I say anything alluding otherwise? It's standards and practices, doesn't mean I agree with it.

In Advanced Warfare they actually had all kinds of gear, XP boosts, etc. locked behind it, and I'm fairly certain they did the same with Halo. It's still locked content regardless of how you view it.

Trey

What the hell is Bungie thinking, they're literally doing everything wrong with destiny.

Still selling like mad, built up a sizable playerbase who supports them. I can't even knock the hustle even though I dislike nearly everything surrounding the game, and plenty of the game itself.

Straight up "we're gonna squeeze every penny we can out of you, and we don't give a fuck" mode. It's sort of impressive in a way.

Jafo_

imagine if they gave you a legendary or exotic Engram for every purchase of redbull how much they would sell.

FweImbk.jpg

All credit for this goes to Mansellto of reddit DTG

FweImbk.jpg

All credit for this goes to Mansellto of reddit DTG

Making you think you get something cool, but all you are doing is FREE PUBLICITY for redbull by wearing those.

Next we will have Doritos on peoples chest armor and Mountain Dew flags painted on guns advertised in the game. Pizza Hut pants? This literally is people PAYING to freely advertise for a company. WOW

This is in game advertisement for a company plain and simple.

akileese

Making you think you get something cool, but all you are doing is FREE PUBLICITY for redbull by wearing those.

Next we will have Doritos on peoples chest armor and Mountain Dew flags painted on guns advertised in the game. Pizza Hut pants? This literally is people PAYING to freely advertise for a company. WOW

I would buy 100 bags of doritos if I got a dorito pope helm in Destiny. Shit I'd buy 200.

didevol

An Xp bonus if COMPLETE BS. So now we can't keep up with the 'redbull elite' knobs paying money to buy redbull to get an edge in the game.

border

An Xp bonus if COMPLETE BS. So now we can't keep up with the 'redbull elite' knobs paying money to buy redbull to get an edge in the game.
If you play the Destiny endgame even a little bit it becomes clear that an XP bonus is worth very little in terms of progression. All character progression is gear based after you hit the soft level cap.

Nobody with an XP bonus is going to be lording their status over you.

Limality

Banned
For those complaining about "Buying the Season pass and still have to pay for TKK": You knew what you were buying...you knew...it was pretty clear that TDB and HoW would be the only expansions in that pass.

How the hell can people complain about TTK not being included in this? It was clear from the beginning and people should've asked questions as soon as that leaked Destiny timeline pic was posted.

Anyway, I think I might buy TTK...40$ for an add-on that brings 2 new PvP Modes, a Raid, new Strikes and maybe 8 hours of Story? Why not...but I'm sure as hell not buying this shitty 20$ CE Emotes/Shader/Class Item package...

It's not real.

Destiny is not starving on content, LOL

It kind of is. All the endgame content in vanilla Destiny is everything you did already except for the Raid, which is literally 30 minutes of content.

Almost all of the new DLC is going through the old levels but backwards fighting the same enemies in the base game.

I'd guess probably 25% or less of the DLC content is new areas. And those new areas are pretty small. Think about The Siege of the Warmind mission. That new area is basically a hallway and one big room (that was already on disc no less). The new Omnigul strike was the same old area backwards but at the end you opened a door and went into a broom closet.

So you can say Destiny isn't starved on content, but it is in my opinion. Just because there's a lot of things to do, doesn't mean anything when all those things are copy pasted.

rezn0r

For those complaining about "Buying the Season pass and still have to pay for TKK": You knew what you were buying...you knew...it was pretty clear that TDB and HoW would be the only expansions in that pass.

How the hell can people complain about TTK not being included in this? It was clear from the beginning and people should've asked questions as soon as that leaked Destiny timeline pic was posted.

Anyway, I think I might buy TTK...40$ for an add-on that brings 2 new PvP Modes, a Raid, new Strikes and maybe 8 hours of Story? Why not...but I'm sure as hell not buying this shitty 20$ CE Emotes/Shader/Class Item package...

None of this is really what anyone is angry about. $40 straight up for the amount of what it looks like TKK contains isn't really the problem - I mean it sucks compared to other games/companies, but that's not what all the freaking out the past week has been over...

This doesn't bother me much since you get it later without buying Red Bull.

But this is quite ill timed to have a promo like this. I know out was planned months before, but this will be the icing on the cake for all the recent bad press.

j-wood

Goes from worst to worstest:

http://games.on.net/2015/07/destiny-red-bull-promotion-ruined-by-scammers/

Within days of the Red Bull promotion going live, players figured out the (deplorably simple) code sequence and used it to score themselves loads of free loot.

That in itself isn’t so bad, arguably, but the problem is that codes are one-use only – so those who try to redeem codes obtained through legitimate purchases are getting errors instead. Since the redemption site went down under the pressure of players rushing to scam free stuff, it’s likely that a huge number of codes have been invalidated now. Ouch

I for one am delighted, poorly designed promotions deserve to back fire on those who created them. That they somehow managed to produce a sequential or some other trivial to enumerate code scheme is frankly astonishing.

Do Activision/Bungie deliberately avoid reading up on the lessons others have learnt in literally every aspect of this game?

Top Bottom