• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter PS4 available for pre-order, releases July 15 (EU)

oatmeal

Banned
Bought it during the Steam Sale. Actually just got the last two achievements last night (Had to cheat for one of them)...

Really great game. Graphically incredible. Music is fantastic...

It's like a more interactive Dear Esther (which I also really loved).

Is the PS4 version on UE4?

Reese-015

I do get why some people might be put off from buying it due to Adrian. I've read stuff from him that I thought was smart and agreed with but I once disagreed and politely tweeted at him about it... Which resulted in several caps lock-filled responses from him, him telling me I had "stared into the darkness too long" and telling me I was trolling. All cause I said I agreed with a few things Sarkeesian said in an interview. Kinda made me wanna stop playing Vanishing, which I was playing at the time. Not a good way to talk to fans.

Elios83

This and Rime are the indie games I'm most looking forward to play on PS4.
Hopefully The Witness will deliver as well.

Fat4all

Banned
This is a fantastic game! Can't wait to grab it on PS4.

It's a game that references everything from Harlan Ellison to Lovecraft, all the while having a very rich and engaging original story.

Robaperas

I do get why some people might be put off from buying it due to Adrian. I've read stuff from him that I thought was smart and agreed with but I once disagreed and politely tweeted at him about it... Which resulted in several caps lock-filled responses from him, him telling me I had "stared into the darkness too long" and telling me I was trolling. All cause I said I agreed with a few things Sarkeesian said in an interview. Kinda made me wanna stop playing Vanishing, which I was playing at the time. Not a good way to talk to fans.

Went full on detective and found the conversation, pretty condescending attitude from him to be honest, devs need PR people sometimes.

PooBone

Nice! Something to spice up the wait for MGS5. Adrian really seems like a smart guy but he also comes off as a giant douchebag. I won't hold it against his art, though. It's not like he's Orson Scott Card. So will this be $19.99 or $14.99 in the US? What was it wheb it launched on Steam?

wipeout364

This was a pretty amazing game from a graphics point of view I will be interested to see how it runs on PS4, Game is good with an interesting story and amazing atmosphere. I would not say it has amazing gameplay, The majority of time you are just walking around, but it does have several puzzles that are necessary to progress. Probably closer to an adventure game then a walking simulator.

IMO it is miles better than gone home which really only trades on nostalgia and presents itself as something it is not, so I if you were turned off by by gone home ( as many people were looking at Steam reviews) I think this a much better game and may still be worth a try.

Not sure how much it is worth, I paid full price on Steam ( I think it was 25 or 30 dollars) and was happy with it but it does have limited gameplay and has no reason to go back when you have finished so I could see some people not being happy if they charge too much.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't get the "walking simulator" remarks. It's got a bunch of puzzles.
Well if Skyrim can be called a walking simulator.....

I think the point is that it's a very slow paced game where a lot of the appeal is just that - the laid back 'gameplay' where you spend a lot of the time just plodding along, taking in the gorgeous scenery and atmosphere.

It may not be a *pure* walking simulator like Dear Esther or something, but I think its fair to include that moniker to at least partly describe the game.

He's one of those obnoxious people that has a point of view and can't resist any opportunity to tell everyone all about it. Very similar to Anita in that regard. Can't go one day without redundantly harping on the same kinds of things.

the difference here ( as a dev) he knows about the medium,about the process of development and can write things like this http://www.theastronauts.com/2015/06/what-really-happened-to-tale-of-tales-sunset/ better than outside people or even gaming journos ( i still have to see a gaming journo with good understanding of the process of game development)

Personally, I think I got myself waaay too hyped up for this game when it launched on pc, and as a result the game fell really flat for me. The *crime scene* gameplay elements never really feel fleshed out enough to be engaging and I thought the plot never really came together thematically at the end, or had something really interesting or thoughtful to say about it's subject matter, but as a graphical showcase and an experience of simply existing in a world that is very atmospheric, I think it was a success in those regards. I really think devs could make a hell of a follow-up if they can go a bit deeper on the puzzle aspects and re-examine the themes they want to drive the story and how to realise them successfully. As long as people know what they are getting into, it's worth checking out. Even for things I thought could be better, I'd rather a dev be ambitious with their ideas and fall short than not try at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enjoyed this a lot on PC. Great atmosphere and the story was interesting. Not the longest game ever but that suited me just fine.

Bought it during the Steam Sale. Actually just got the last two achievements last night (Had to cheat for one of them)...

Really great game. Graphically incredible. Music is fantastic...

It's like a more interactive Dear Esther (which I also really loved).

Is the PS4 version on UE4?

Yes, there was a big article about it on Eurogamer about a month ago detailing thar they were rebuilding the whole game in UE4 for PC and consoles. As I recall, PC owners get the free upgrade and I think it's 'first to console' on PS4 so it'll probably follow on the Xbone too.

This and Rime are the indie games I'm most looking forward to play on PS4.
Hopefully The Witness will deliver as well.

Keep an eye out for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture as well. I think it's coming out in about six weeks.

Kuraudo

Banned
Is this longer than Dear Esther? I really want to play it, but can't really justify £13.50 for another hour-long experience atm.

I bought this during the steam summer sale and do not regret it what so ever.

The game may be short but it has some incredible puzzles that fit extremely well into the narrative. It also features some incredible cinematic "wow" moments that I can't get into without spoiling it.

It's a bit short and you can beat it in one sitting during the night but it's definitely worth it.

Mr_Zombie

Is this longer than Dear Esther? I really want to play it, but can't really justify £13.50 for another hour-long experience atm.

It's about 4-5 hours long - depends on how quickly will you get the puzzles/find all clues and how often will you stop an look in awe at the surroundings; and believe me, you will - the game is beautiful.

Denton

He's one of those obnoxious people that has a point of view and can't resist any opportunity to tell everyone all about it. Very similar to Anita in that regard. Can't go one day without redundantly harping on the same kinds of things.

He is obnoxious because he has twitter and shares his opinions on it.
Wow.

Kuraudo

Banned
It's about 4-5 hours long - depends on how quickly will you get the puzzles/find all clues and how often will you stop an look in awe at the surroundings; and believe me, you will - the game is beautiful.

Thanks. Four to five hours sounds good :)

wouwie

I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced although i'm not really into horror/violence type of games in general. I hope we will get an official statement about this release date soon. I'll be there day one though i might wait for some player feedback on how well it runs on PS4 (Ether One was't the best showcase of UE4 on consoles).

Mr_Zombie

I've been looking forward to this ever since it was announced although i'm not really into horror/violence type of games in general.

I have good news for you then. The game is all about atmosphere. You see some violent/dark stuff happening on screen (nothing gory or over the top), but you - as a player - are never in any real danger. And the gorgeous and peaceful scenery helps you deload everything bad you will experience.

impact

Banned
Price is absurd for a 4 hour game.

I recommend picking this up but definitely not at that price. It's a good little game.

Game starts strong but as it goes just completely loses steam. The first crime scene is easily the most interactive and interesting one, and the first real puzzle (portal house) is by far the most well put together puzzle in the game as well. After that the game just sort of runs out of ideas as far as gameplay is concerned, pushing you towards an ending which, frankly, is some of the most cliched bullcrap I've ever seen that completely invalidated any sort of mystery or goodwill the game's atmosphere had built up till then. The game's narrative structure has each puzzle set up as a separate "side story" of sorts, and some of those are marginally interesting, but most of them end on completely flaccid notes in favor of extremely repetitive "character development".

Game is a real looker though, absolutely gorgeous. Especially some of the more fantastical setpieces, which makes them decent rewards for solving the otherwise baby-simple puzzles. Everything else about the presentation is just disappointing. The character models do NOT live up to the environment by any stretch of the imagination, the voice acting seems done by people who don't speak English as a first language (which would be fine, if the game wasn't supposed to be set in rural Wisconsin), and the writing is simple, straightfoward, and boring; overly reliant on cliche and not in a charming way either. This is a big deal for a game whose entire premise is "slowly move from place to place to see the story".

It's also short as hell, about 4 hours long, and not worth the price of admission.

BTA

He writes sensical criticism with strong argument against Anita.
Some people just can't take something with a shade of grey.
Also I kinda expect someone would brought that up in this thread at some point, heh.

Passing it off as this is a bit disingenuous. He's a full on Gamergater; he's personally sicced Gamergaters on writers he's disliked, posting screenshots of their tweets and everything. It's a lot more than just disagreeing with Anita.

All that being said, the game looks amazing on PC and I've enjoyed what I've played of it there. I wouldn't have bought it originally if I knew what he was like, but that's a personal line to draw.

I recommend picking this up but definitely not at that price. It's a good little game.

Is it really "absurd" though for a polished and high quality four hour game? Would you say the same for a Triple-A game with 12 hours of gameplay for £40, $60 or €50? Like Tomb Raider for example.

$20 for 4 hours of game sounds reasonable to me. Going to a 2 hour movie is ~$10 and even that's only for one showing, whereas a game you can play again if you liked it.

Can NA people preorder this? I'd like to have it downloaded and ready to go but when I search for vanishing or ethan on the NA store I can't find anything.

eFKac

Will definitely buy it, but after a >50% discount.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is too close and that has priority, and unfortuntely I don't have enough money for bought.

Razorback

I bought at release with high expectations because the developers talked a lot on their blog about how games get narrative wrong and this game was going to address a lot of those issues with some new ideas.

Can't say it was a success, the story has nothing special going for it. I guess these games live and die by the quality of the story, and to me it failed to deliver.

Top Bottom