• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Warhawk Beta Summer of Awesome (PS3)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They've talked about another patch for the beta testers. Hopefully they'll go through with that by end of this week or early next. But they forked their codestream for the Beta and have already stated that some of the issues cropping up in the Beta aren't issues with their main codestream or have already since been fixed.

Ragnarok10

kaching said:
They've talked about another patch for the beta testers. Hopefully they'll go through with that by end of this week or early next. But they forked their codestream for the Beta and have already stated that some of the issues cropping up in the Beta aren't issues with their main codestream or have already since been fixed.
That would be cool although I'm starting to feel like taking a break to keep myself fresh once the full version becomes available. I don't want to Warhawk Beta myself to death and have no desire to pick up the retail version.

tha_con

Banned
So I was glitching out yesterday, I was "invisible" to all other members, and I couldn't do any damage to them (though apparently when I attacked them, their screen went red, but no one was around, and they lost no health).

So, I decided to experiment, and I ran as far as I could outside of the warning zone, never died, then ran off the edge of the map, and just fell into an endless tumble into an open abyss. Eventually, I hit 'something' and just wandered around. Everything was grey, but I could see the islands above me (and inside of them too!).

Kind of neat?

I also discovered that it is easy to stand on the wing of a warhawk and go straight up. It serves no purpose, but I want to experiment more and see if I can find out some interesting things. You can 'get on top' of some building you shouldn't be able to, but others will 'kill you' instantly, saying you have committed suicide. Also it is possible to drive the jeeps into a lot of the bunkers in this game. I have trapped a few people in bunkers with jeeps, very entertaining to 'watch' them, and then kill them mercilessly. :lol

I3rand0 said:
I really wish, even with the extra week, that the beta wasn't ending so soon. Last I checked, this game is allegedly coming out in August, but even with the latest fixes and balances (that we won't be testing) I don't see how it's going to get released so soon. There still seems to be problems with lock ups and I'm worried once this game goes retail, and every time a new firmware comes out, it could be deja vu all over again.

This beta isn't the end of the testing and QA component though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
WasabiKing said:
make sure you report these glitches, I don't want to see this in the final version
I have tried countless times to get onto the beta message boards but it keeps telling me Access Denied no matter what I do :(

And that ridiculous form they give you on the main beta site is way too much information for a casual bug report, I just want to post about it and move on with my life

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
WasabiKing said:
make sure you report these glitches, I don't want to see this in the final version
But of course.

kenta said:
And that ridiculous form they give you on the main beta site is way too much information for a casual bug report, I just want to post about it and move on with my life
The problem with a casual bug report is that it may not provide all the basic information the devs need to track down the problem. The form allows them to track the issues in a more structured fashion, making it easier to search for aspects in common for a particular bug that crops up for multiple people.

'Course, the form itself does need some work - the dropdowns for map selection and map configuration aren't complete (missing the Archipelagos and Destroyed Capitol maps), for example.

tha_con

Banned
The way the glitch happened was odd. I died (no more health) but didn't "die". But, after I died, I couldn't kill anyone.

There is a spot in Eucadia where you can climb (somehow) atop one of the tallest towers, and it's extremely hard to hit anyone, there seems to be an invisible wall or something? Dunno.

KTallguy

Banned
I just played split screen for the first time, it was pretty nuts.

My friend got knifed when he had the flag, which was annoying. :lol

He was trying to get the guy back, but other teammates shot him too...

There should be a way to report people like that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
kaching said:
Not a single freeze for me tonight, but did encounter some weirdness when I died two times and simply wouldn't respawn. Had to quit those games to sort it out.

Just had this happen on a wonderful game of CTF in the SCEA CTFSmall server. Died and wouldn't respawn. =( So bummed because the action was so intense.

Kintaro

Ugh, maybe it's just me, but the Rifle still needs major adjusting. =/ It shouldn't take an entire clip to kill someone at med-close range when the pistol kicks tons of ass.

Kintaro

Oni Jazar said:
The Rifle change wasn't applied to the beta IIRC. It will be fixed in the final release.

Ah ok, I recall seeing that, but couldn't remember if it was already patched in. Still having fun though. Sometimes, I stink up the place. Sometimes I'm a machine. Sadly, I mostly stink. =/ I should find my niche.

kenta

Has no PEINS
wtf, a friend and I were just playing splitscreen on a crazy server and suddenly we got banned

The only thing I can think of are my land mines, I went as crazy as I could as I laid them on the path to our base so I'm guessing there was some splash damage that killed some teammates but is there an auto-ban option on here? It just doesn't make sense, we were playing totally normal and team spirit-like and whatever but bam

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
kenta said:
wtf, a friend and I were just playing splitscreen on a crazy server and suddenly we got banned

The only thing I can think of are my land mines, I went as crazy as I could as I laid them on the path to our base so I'm guessing there was some splash damage that killed some teammates but is there an auto-ban option on here? It just doesn't make sense, we were playing totally normal and team spirit-like and whatever but bam

The only way that I know that you can get banned is if the host intentionally bans you. Maybe you ticked him off? There's also an auto kick that kicks you out if you do too many team kills (it tells you it kicked you for too many tk's). People have been getting the auto kick by just joining a game thanks to the stats glitch.

grendelrt

I just signed on the PSN and the beta was sitting on the home page, Warhawk Public Beta Downloading now :D

BTW still doesnt show up under the Beta webpage as me being on it.

Sorry, I haven´t seen the last pages, but I´d like to know what you guys are thinking about the game. Is it really cool to play? How much fun? :)

grendelrt said:
I just signed on the PSN and the beta was sitting on the home page, Warhawk Public Beta Downloading now :D

BTW still doesnt show up under the Beta webpage as me being on it.

I just signed on to PSN. Still no Warhawk beta.

What the ****, Sony? What the ****?!?

Killthee

Congrats to all the new recruits :) See you in the skies. :lol

PSN ID:Killthee

Insane Metal said:
Sorry, I haven´t seen the last pages, but I´d like to know what you guys are thinking about the game. Is it really cool to play? How much fun? :)

Even with all the bugs & balance issues, the game is f'ing great. Lot's of fun and a real blast in 32 player games.

grendelrt

Just finished playing like 2 hours straight. Man this game is fun. Playing zone on that map with all sky scrapers hopping around, wow!

How long does it take stats to update. I was playing on a Sony server, the little trophy was not marked out, I assume this means it was ranked? Are there any mic options, I had mine on for some of the time.

PSN ID : Grendelrt

Add me for some warhawk :D

jet1911

Is it normal that I can take out Warhawks with one clip of machine gun ? What kind of wonky aircraft is that? :lol

Otherwise the game is great. :D

Killthee

grendelrt said:
Just finished playing like 2 hours straight. Man this game is fun. Playing zone on that map with all sky scrapers hopping around, wow!

How long does it take stats to update. I was playing on a Sony server, the little trophy was not marked out, I assume this means it was ranked? Are there any mic options, I had mine on for some of the time.

PSN ID : Grendelrt

Add me for some warhawk :D

Stats are kinda random at updating. Sometimes you get the recognition after you finish the game and sometimes it takes days. Stats also don't get posted if you don't finish the game, this has already been changed for the retail version, but will not be available in the beta.

The trophy not being marked does mean ranked. The Mic options include the server's ability to turn on/off voice chat and the mute options under the start menu in game. Don't forget to push L3 to talk. The beta was open mic at first, but most people had their sound systems blazing and this caused everybody else to hear a horrible feedback coming from that person. With the patch, Incog changed the open mic to PTT.

jet1911 said:
Is it normal that I can take out Warhawks with one clip of machine gun ? What kind of wonky aircraft is that? :lol

Otherwise the game is great. :D

You mean the AA turret gun right? It's normal; Warhawks can take them out with the a direct shot using the lighting missile charge shot, a TOW missile, or two of the lock on missiles.

Killthee

Gamestop (I know, I know :lol ) is saying the retail version will cost $60, include Warhawk trailers, behind the scenes video and trailers of upcoming products, and include a Jabra BT125 headset. Gamestop is also stating the release date as 8/28/00...

reminder

warhawk-20070622115430827.jpg

JoJo13

Banned
Killthee said:
Gamestop (I know, I know :lol ) is saying the retail version will cost $60, include Warhawk trailers, behind the scenes video and trailers of upcoming products, and include a Jabra BT125 headset. Gamestop is also stating the release date as 8/28/00...
$60 for Warhawk is a great deal.

I got in last night as well.

The game seems like a lot of fun and I will finally have something other than Resistance to play.

I did run into something weird though, and it may be a known issue. I created a match where it went through all 5 maps (10 min each). I created it to learn the maps and controls, and put a password on it. After the first game finished, it loaded the second map. I spawned, but I could not control my character at all. I couldn't move or shoot, but I could pause the game and controls worked fine in the menus. I quit the game and created a new one, but it did the same thing. I had to quit to the XMB and restart the game before I could control my character again.

Weird.

Mesijs

I played it a good amount of time now, so here's my opinion.

Great, great, great! All the aspects (on-foot, on wheels, in air) work fine and creat a great battlefield. The combat is very cool and intense, all the mechanics seem to work fine. In the beginning I didn't fly so much because I thought there would be a pretty high learning curve and I just wanted to jump in... but now I'm practicing more and more and it works great.

I have got one great concern though, and that is the strength of the anti-air guns. Really, it pays off to just be on the ground and take down the planes easily. It's way too easy to hit a plane in the air, and you're pretty much helpless against the conventional AA. I think it should be made more difficult to take down planes this way, as campers get rewarded and flyers get frustrated.

So, that's my thoughts. I enjoy it a lot! :)

grendelrt

I already have a Jabra 125 headset. Damn I really like having a boxed version of my games. Doesnt look like I have a choice on this one, I am not buying the box for a headset I already have.

Kweh

After checking loads to see if i got in, the week I forget all about it, i noticed today it was sitting there waiting for me to install.

Looking forward to it.

Killthee said:
Congrats to all the new recruits :) See you in the skies. :lol

PSN ID:Killthee

Even with all the bugs & balance issues, the game is f'ing great. Lot's of fun and a real blast in 32 player games.

It really looks awesome.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I did run into something weird though, and it may be a known issue. I created a match where it went through all 5 maps (10 min each). I created it to learn the maps and controls, and put a password on it. After the first game finished, it loaded the second map. I spawned, but I could not control my character at all. I couldn't move or shoot, but I could pause the game and controls worked fine in the menus. I quit the game and created a new one, but it did the same thing. I had to quit to the XMB and restart the game before I could control my character again.
I've run into a similar problem on a couple of occasions where the game just doesn't completely respawn you. I've reported it each time, since the circumstances weren't identical.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
grendelrt said:
I already have a Jabra 125 headset. Damn I really like having a boxed version of my games. Doesnt look like I have a choice on this one, I am not buying the box for a headset I already have.
Pretty sure theres going to be two retail sku's one with the headset one without.

I think i may buy the one with the headset as i dont particularly like my current headset.

Mesijs said:
I have got one great concern though, and that is the strength of the anti-air guns. Really, it pays off to just be on the ground and take down the planes easily. It's way too easy to hit a plane in the air, and you're pretty much helpless against the conventional AA. I think it should be made more difficult to take down planes this way, as campers get rewarded and flyers get frustrated.

So, that's my thoughts. I enjoy it a lot! :)

I agree with that they are overpowered, but it does have the added benefit of making payback so, so sweet, especially if you can pin down a single AA camper for a whole match. People who camp in AA guns tend to feel invulnerable after a while, which makes it pretty devastating when they are suddenly routinely taken out.

Chris_C

Oni Jazar said:
I've gotten really comfortable with the pro controls. I just can't take the motion controls.

What's the difference between the Pro controls and the regular?

Also, it won't let me log onto the beta site, just tells me I don't have permission!

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
I think i'm going to switch to using the analog sticks...i've been trying to get the motion controls down but it just isnt working out too good to say the least....

Mesijs

AltogetherAndrews said:
I agree with that they are overpowered, but it does have the added benefit of making payback so, so sweet, especially if you can pin down a single AA camper for a whole match. People who camp in AA guns tend to feel invulnerable after a while, which makes it pretty devastating when they are suddenly routinely taken out.

Yeah, that's right, but the point is that they actually are kind of invulnerable for some period of time. In the end they always die in their AA gun but most of the time it is after they have taken down a couple of planes... and the point is that when you're in your plane, you have a much less chance to take anyone out than you have when in an AA.

Which means that the AA guns are actually stronger than the planes, in terms of how many kills you can make in a certain amount of time. Maybe they should decrease the range of the AA explosions so you only hit the plane when really hitting it or hitting it very, very close. Because in this way evasive manoeuvres almost always don't play off.

Top Bottom