• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Warhawk Beta Summer of Awesome (PS3)

Oni Jazar

Chris_C said:
What's the difference between the Pro controls and the regular?

Also, it won't let me log onto the beta site, just tells me I don't have permission!

Pro controls give you direct control of the plane's roll. For example you can't fly upsidown in regular controls, you will only do roll loops. I think you can pull certain manuvers quicker in pro and you also have greater control in manuvering through tight spots.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Chris_C said:
What's the difference between the Pro controls and the regular?
Regular controls auto-level the plane and also map certain maneuvers to the right-stick. Pro gives more freeform control of the plane so you can remain inverted and so forth.

edit: beaten, but a little different.

Ploid 3.0

I don't like rolling and being upside down in the warhawks due to 3rd person view. I wish there was a cockpit vie in them. Would be better to control, but maybe not for motion control setting.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ploid 3.0 said:
I don't like rolling and being upside down in the warhawks due to 3rd person view. I wish there was a cockpit vie in them. Would be better to control, but maybe not for motion control setting.
Haha i love shooting people down while im upside down.

reminder said:
warhawk-20070622115430827.jpg
$60 dollars for that and a headset......SOLD!

PS360

Banned
This game is all sorts of f'in awesome. I knew when the freezing was patched and there were some 32 player CTF servers I'd be hooked. Well it was, and there are, and I am.

I think there are some good map variations, but I'd love it if they released one more "setting" before release. I want to see some forest-type joint maybe.

Gota say though the settings they have are very well done in terms of topography and visuals. Plus, I think they've done a great job with making all setings work for both planes and infantry.

If they just keep releasing a new map setting every several months and build up a collection of like 15-20...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
WTF...

I hop on to play, and I join the SCEA CTFSMALL server, and I connect and spawn. The moment I spawn, it says "Kicked! You have killed too many of your teammates. 2 Kicks means you are banned from this server."

WTF? I just connected into the game, how could I have done anything? Sure, we've all accidentally killed teammate because friendly fire is ****ed up in this game, but wtf? I didn't even play! :lol

CSSer

Kintaro said:
WTF...

I hop on to play, and I join the SCEA CTFSMALL server, and I connect and spawn. The moment I spawn, it says "Kicked! You have killed too many of your teammates. 2 Kicks means you are banned from this server."

WTF? I just connected into the game, how could I have done anything? Sure, we've all accidentally killed teammate because friendly fire is ****ed up in this game, but wtf? I didn't even play! :lol

I think that's a glitch. When you initially join while a game is in play, you're taking on someone's stats who left, and that person was likely kicked for that very reason.

Sometimes, you'll get some other person's stats when you join in. At the end of the round, your stats won't count and your round ranking will be -1. It'll be reset the next round though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
captive said:
throwing mines onto vehicles to kill people in them is such a bullshit tactic.

Speaking of mines, did Incog change the amount a person can lay in the ground? Before one could go mine crazy over the field, but today I was playing in a CTF game booby trapping the exits and I noticed that the 5th mine would delete the 1st mine. It seems like a person can only have 4 mines in the field at any given time now. Anybody else experience this?

some of you guys have gotten really good at this game already. I hope all of us average players aren't shoved out of the game like some other online games.

psn: cacophony

Mesijs

So, anybody else having thoughts about overpowered AA guns, especially in the hilly map with green in it (don't know the name).

Apart from that I LOVE it. Also practicing knife kills now. :lol And the mine is also a good close range weapon if you're desperate, works great.

I'm beginning to love the Warhawks more and more also. You just have to have enough flare and the power is beginning to wield!

Kintaro

I wish they would have put the Rifle change in the patch so we can test it. Also, they should put Chaff to the Circle button in Airhawks.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I've already got a headset but I'm still considering purchasing the disc version which means I'll have two. Does anyone know if it's possible to have two (or more) headsets going while in split-screen? It would be cool to have another headset for a friend

B-Ri

kenta said:
I've already got a headset but I'm still considering purchasing the disc version which means I'll have two. Does anyone know if it's possible to have two (or more) headsets going while in split-screen? It would be cool to have another headset for a friend

QFT. Also is the disc just an installer or is it going to load off my disc? i dont think id enjoy differences in loading.

B-Ri said:
QFT. Also is the disc just an installer or is it going to load off my disc? i dont think id enjoy differences in loading.

from what I've heard, the Blu-ray is just an installer :)

...with that, I'll prolly get the $60 version as well as I love the game and wouldn't mind the additional headset and Behind the scenes supplements

spwolf

Mesijs said:
So, anybody else having thoughts about overpowered AA guns, especially in the hilly map with green in it (don't know the name).

Apart from that I LOVE it. Also practicing knife kills now. :lol And the mine is also a good close range weapon if you're desperate, works great.

I'm beginning to love the Warhawks more and more also. You just have to have enough flare and the power is beginning to wield!

not really overpowered, you can easily take them out with TOW misile...

Monk

Banned
Its a shame this is not my type of game. Looks like this will come out on top as the fps of choice vs halo 3 and mp3?

Killthee

spwolf said:
not really overpowered, you can easily take them out with TOW misile...

or two lock on missiles, or a perfect lighting missile charge shot; I think you might even be able to take them out with a well dropped cluster bomb. Seriously, the AA guns become a non issue after a couple of hours in a Warhawk.

AgentOtaku said:

...with that, I'll prolly get the $60 version as well as I love the game and wouldn't mind the additional headset and Behind the scenes supplements

That would be perfect, but I have my doubts. Whats to stop me from just renting it and installing it then? A key for online play maybe? Do you have any links?

B-Ri

Killthee said:
or two lock on missiles, or a perfect lighting missile charge shot; I think you might even be able to take them out with a well dropped cluster bomb. Seriously, the AA guns become a non issue after a couple of hours in a Warhawk.

That would be perfect, but I have my doubts. Whats to stop me from just renting it and installing it then? A key for online play maybe? Do you have any links?

probably disc for boot like DMC4 and NGS are doing.

w0s

Monk said:
Its a shame this is not my type of game. Looks like this will come out on top as the fps of choice vs halo 3 and mp3?

only this isn't a FPS :|

That being said am I the only one that has to reconnect to a new server after every match?

Forsete

Gold Member
AgentOtaku said:

Ok, disc-version it is then. :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate the weapon strength balance in the Beta? 10 would be gaming perfection.

I am finding that there are situations like nailing foot soldiers with the salt pellets from my Warhawk machine guns to be uber frustrating when I am taken out with 1 missle from a turret. If I can hover over someone and nail them repeatedly with the machine gun for 1 minute and still not kill them, the balance is off. Add to that the inability to lock on to ground targets who can lock on to you (i.e a soldier with a missle launcher), and I am finding myself more and more frustrated with the balance in weapon strength. If I could make one suggestion to Incog, it would be to take a good hard look at the machine guns (in all forms) and find a way to make them more useful. They are the weakest part of the Beta (besides a total lack of mine detection).

In addition, if I hit a jet with 5 missles, it should crash. Period.

Kintaro

DenogginizerOS said:
On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate the weapon strength balance in the Beta? 10 would be gaming perfection.

I am finding that there are situations like nailing foot soldiers with the salt pellets from my Warhawk machine guns to be uber frustrating when I am taken out with 1 missle from a turret. If I can hover over someone and nail them repeatedly with the machine gun for 1 minute and still not kill them, the balance is off. Add to that the inability to lock on to ground targets who can lock on to you (i.e a soldier with a missle launcher), and I am finding myself more and more frustrated with the balance in weapon strength. If I could make one suggestion to Incog, it would be to take a good hard look at the machine guns (in all forms) and find a way to make them more useful. They are the weakest part of the Beta (besides a total lack of mine detection).

These are my feelings as well. They have stated that Machine Gun (the gun for soldiers) would be balanced for the game when it goes live, but not in beta. I'm thinking that's a mistake, but w/e.

I stick with the pistol in the beta mainly now. Just works better. Somethings still don't make sense in the grand scheme of things though. Why does it take a clip of pistol/machine gun fire to kill someone at point blank range, but only one swipe of the knife will do the job? Ah, quirks of the genre.

tha_con

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

Turrets fire 2 missiles.

Lightning Charges kill turrets. TOW rockets kill turrets.

Mines beep, they get louder when you get closer. It needs to be louder, but there *is* mine detection.

Basically what you're asking for is to completely take the arcade element out of warhawk, which completely eliminates the fun. It sounds like you haven't had nearly enough time to experiment with all the weapons to find out solutions to all your complaints (which there are solutions).

For instance. If you *look* before you leap, you can generally see mines laid out across the ground with a color *opposite* your own team. Shoot them. No more mines. If you're pressed for time and can't stop to aim, toss grenades.

I'd say a good 40% of the time your efficiency and key to victory is being well armed. If you don't make it a point to acquire weapons, you'll die.

Kintaro - The purpose of a knife having one hit kills at close range is to give it purpose as a weapon. When you are in close combat (aka you know someone is going to follow you up the stairs) it makes sense to have a way to dispatch of them quickly and effectively w/out having to have a stupid close range battle with pistols.

Remember, this is an *arcade* game, not a sim like GRAW and what not.

dfyb

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

wait... you say the weapon balance is bad, but you argue that the warhawk should be an unstoppable force capable of tearing through air and ground targets alike.

i'd rate weapon balance in general for this game a 7-8, only because i'm afraid they'll make the pistol too weak. having a strong pistol when you spawn helps balance things (makes it harder for people to spawn camp etc). this game is very balanced which is why it's awesome. the warhawks would be way too overpowered if they could lock onto ground units and take out infantry like it was nothing. as it is now, nothing alone is overpowered -- the way it should be.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
dfyb said:
wait... you say the weapon balance is bad, but you argue that the warhawk should be an unstoppable force capable of tearing through air and ground targets alike.

i'd rate weapon balance in general for this game a 7-8, only because i'm afraid they'll make the pistol too weak. having a strong pistol when you spawn helps balance things (makes it harder for people to spawn camp etc). this game is very balanced which is why it's awesome. the warhawks would be way too overpowered if they could lock onto ground units and take out infantry like it was nothing. as it is now, nothing alone is overpowered -- the way it should be.

I aggree. I think its very balanced. Warhawks are powerful behind the hands of someone who knows how to fly. (BruceLeeRoy) But that doesnt mean they are invincible. You can still take them down. You just need team work..which is what this game is all about and what makes this game amazing.

Edit: Although i think the pistol is fine as is.

just give me the flame thrower and I will **** up anything that moves on the ground... including turrets and people who use the jeep to run you over.

I love this game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DenogginizerOS said:
Not sure - in terms of what I might normally expect in terms of weapon strength for each of the traditional weapon types, some are certainly off, like you already discussed.

But I think there's a factor here of balancing advantages of the different methods of transportation that's involved in the tuning of some weapons. It seems more of a rock-paper-scissors balancing of transport mode vs. weapon weakness than it seems to be balancing strictly on traditional weapon strength alone.

As such, once you get used to it, it doesn't seem to have any bad exploits, so I'd rate it fairly high because it isn't broken, just unusual. 8, I guess.

KTallguy

Banned
Arde0 said:
just give me the flame thrower and I will **** up anything that moves on the ground... including turrets and people who use the jeep to run you over.

I love this game.

Yea, I love the flamethrower myself, I waste people in Tanks all the time with it :lol

I just creep up from behind and before they know it there's pieces of them all over the map.

Killthee said:
It's not...They did increase the number of beta testers on last weeks PS Store update though.

I just know that I downloaded it today, my friends seem to be downloading it OK, and that none of us received proper invites.

Killthee

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I just know that I downloaded it today, my friends seem to be downloading it OK, and that none of us received proper invites.

Did you sign up for it? I didn't get my congratulations your in email until a week after it started.

Mesijs

Is it just because of my debug station or are there constantly only around 10 or so servers online?

Edit: nvm, now selected 'all' in regions. :lol

Top Bottom