• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drastic

So, what kind of time goes into building a decent xna indie game? And if it hits mild success or better, what are the potential earnings?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Drastic said:
So, what kind of time goes into building a decent xna indie game? And if it hits mild success or better, what are the potential earnings?

The top tier would make you around $10,000 and that's a very very exclusive tier. Most of the moderate successes are in the low-mid four digits.

Noogy

Stumpokapow said:
The top tier would make you around $10,000 and that's a very very exclusive tier.
Try 5 times that amount, at least. But yes, it's incredibly exclusive.

The time put into a game varies. Some developers are able to put just a month into a title, and if they don't have the skills, it shows. Others like myself are doing this long-term. Having a large team certainly helps.

Anso

Drastic said:
So is this a viable income stream gig or more of a stepping stone to something bigger?

It's a viable income stream if you manage to hit a sweet spot with gamers. Very few do that, like VERY few. Otherwise it's a stepping stone if you don't expect to earn a lot of $$$.

Ranger X

Noogy said:
Try 5 times that amount, at least. But yes, it's incredibly exclusive.

The time put into a game varies. Some developers are able to put just a month into a title, and if they don't have the skills, it shows. Others like myself are doing this long-term. Having a large team certainly helps.

Do you think a platformer kinda like Jump is doable by one guy during a year or something like that? I mean, with a minimum of programming knowledge?
And what if he doesn't have that minimum and learn to use the kit and language / tools right from scratch? Just curious.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The problem is standing out amongst all the bullshit.

I do 2 things before I even download a trial of a game:

1) Is the boxart nice/professional etc?
2) Look at the screenshots. If you don't have 5 minutes to take some decent screenshots of your game, I don't have 5 minutes to try it out.

Of course, both of the above are null and void thanks to positive word of mouth from places like GAF. :D

Yeah, people that put screenshots of the main menu on their thing, or worse, the developer logo, are really failing to sell their game. It's a bizarre choice.

Nasreddin

toythatkills said:
Yeah, people that put screenshots of the main menu on their thing, or worse, the developer logo, are really failing to sell their game. It's a bizarre choice.

I agree, even many good professional Indie Games have ugly boxart and obscure screenshots. As if they didn't want to sell their game...

Nasreddin said:
I agree, even many good professional Indie Games have ugly boxart and obscure screenshots. As if they didn't want to sell their game...
The first Indie game I actually took seriously enough to buy was Pocoro, and I trialled that purely because it had the best box art I'd seen on the service to that point, and there's probably not been a better one since either.

So yeah, box art sells games!

Kafel said:
Unfortunately for some games on the service the menu and the logo are the less ugly screens the dev can take.
:lol

A fair point

Thought I should at least let you guys know that our game has finally been revealed and is on the way. We've been working on it for two years and I hope it will be the biggest and best game on the Xbox Live Indie Games channel!

Check it out at our new website:
http://breakfall.ca

house_0.jpg

sled.jpg

Of course, I'll try and keep GAFers informed as we near launch too :)

Sydle

JasoNsider said:
Thought I should at least let you guys know that our game has finally been revealed and is on the way. We've been working on it for two years and I hope it will be the biggest and best game on the Xbox Live Indie Games channel!

snip

Beautiful artwork. I look forward to the demo.

Trumpets

Ranger X said:
Do you think a platformer kinda like Jump is doable by one guy during a year or something like that? I mean, with a minimum of programming knowledge?
And what if he doesn't have that minimum and learn to use the kit and language / tools right from scratch? Just curious.

Yes, sure. I've been working on my platformer part-time with a minimum of programming experience / artistic skill and it should be ready within a year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1LbnHhJbT8

DotComa

Have you tried "The impossible game" on Xbox Live indie?
I just tried it and I'm totally hooked to it. Graphics suck, but music is amazing. Gameplay is extremly simple but fun.

You should at least download the demo and try it. Good times for 80points.

(no, I'm not involved with the game in any possible way)

Noogy

Trumpets said:
Yes, sure. I've been working on my platformer part-time with a minimum of programming experience / artistic skill and it should be ready within a year:
Having personally spent a good part of this week doing nothing but polishing up my camera, I appreciate the nice camera work you have going there. Imo, it's an incredibly overlooked component of most 2D games.

In fact, there's a lot of nice polish going on in there. Can't wait to playtest it ;)
mujun said:
Where are Pixel Boarder and Square Off?!?
I believe both are still in playtest, and not publicly available. And they are both beautiful in very different ways.

mujun

Noogy said:
Having personally spent a good part of this week doing nothing but polishing up my camera, I appreciate the nice camera work you have going there. Imo, it's an incredibly overlooked component of most 2D games.

In fact, there's a lot of nice polish going on in there. Can't wait to playtest it ;)

I believe both are still in playtest, and not publicly available. And they are both beautiful in very different ways.

Any chance of a vague eta?

:D

Noogy

mujun said:
Any chance of a vague eta?
:D
I have no clue. Games come and go during playtest as it's up to each developer. Sometimes a title will come out of nowhere, without ever hitting playtest.

I feel it's proper etiquette (and probably a legal obligation) not to divulge too much on titles in playtest, as they are still in development, and the developer hasn't had a chance to make a proper announcement. Of course, in some cases, simply releasing the game IS the announcement, in which case any hype is welcome.

I usually only comment on a title if it's already making the rounds, and feel it's worthy of some promotion. There are a LOT of unannounced gems coming out, and I'm eager to see them released.

Edit: I just realized you might have been asking about my game? In that case, no date yet... but I hope to have some news shortly.

N.A

Banned
DotComa said:
I just tried it and I'm totally hooked to it. Graphics suck, but music is amazing. Gameplay is extremly simple but fun.

(no, I'm not involved with the game in any possible way)

Yes I love it. I had 150 attempts the other day. Once you play for a while it becomes more a rhythm game than a platformer.

DotComa said:

Yep, I got to the end of the trial course and really liked it. Not quite enough to buy it, but I think I may do at some point. If it had some score hook maybe, something to make it clear you've beaten your previous distance, or maybe another track or two, it'd be excellent. As it is, I worry about the longevity, as addictive as the trial was.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
How do game updates work for Indie Games?

I ask, because I downloaded Carneyvale again because I thought I'd deleted it. But I then had 2 copies of the game on my HDD, one with a release date of December 2008, the other with a date of July 2009.

So how do games update themselves? Or do you just have to guess when an update is out, and re-download the game?

Persona7

Banned
JasoNsider said:

http://breakfall.ca

Love the style and graphics, will purchase it.

cjelly said:
How do game updates work for Indie Games?

I ask, because I downloaded Carneyvale again because I thought I'd deleted it. But I then had 2 copies of the game on my HDD, one with a release date of December 2008, the other with a date of July 2009.

So how do games update themselves? Or do you just have to guess when an update is out, and re-download the game?
They can just auto-update now like normal games do when you open them.

I had a similar thing happen to me when I downloaded a game via xbox.com that I already had a trial for, the Xbox just redownloaded the game rather than unlocking the trial. Deleting the old version didn't seem to cause any problems though.

mujun

Noogy said:
I have no clue. Games come and go during playtest as it's up to each developer. Sometimes a title will come out of nowhere, without ever hitting playtest.

I feel it's proper etiquette (and probably a legal obligation) not to divulge too much on titles in playtest, as they are still in development, and the developer hasn't had a chance to make a proper announcement. Of course, in some cases, simply releasing the game IS the announcement, in which case any hype is welcome.

I usually only comment on a title if it's already making the rounds, and feel it's worthy of some promotion. There are a LOT of unannounced gems coming out, and I'm eager to see them released.

Edit: I just realized you might have been asking about my game? In that case, no date yet... but I hope to have some news shortly.

I was asking about the two games I listed but that's not to say any info on your game isn't appreciated, can't wait to get my hands on it as it looks awesome :)

gafster1

Neo Member
Pharoah said:
Hey GAF, Arkedo talking here (well, 20% of it at least)....
But we do not want to miss what we feel is happening right now on the XBL Indie.

Love the work so far, keep it up.

Can you give an idea of how the sales have been?

For god knows why we dont have Indie games available here in Finland. :\ Has anyone in same situation tried to try/buy Indie games by creating an another account, for example US or UK one? I'm too lazy to try. :p

Nasreddin

Project Midway said:
For god knows why we dont have Indie games available here in Finland. :\ Has anyone in same situation tried to try/buy Indie games by creating an another account, for example US or UK one? I'm too lazy to try. :p

It is possible. You can create an UK/German/... account and get points using any European point cards.

Attention: For an US account you need US points.

taku

Project Midway said:
What, it's not available in Finland? It's available here in Sweden..

Brakara

taku said:
What, it's not available in Finland? It's available here in Sweden..

It's not available here in Norway either, so I'm buying them from my US account. It's a bit of a hassle to load it up with US MS points though.

Anso

Yeah, us here in Sweden got lucky but I'm enjoying the crap out of XBLIG so far. Always fun to be able to play games you've been part of creating too :lol

Really surprised by how much I enjoy Head Shot 2. It's pretty much just a shooting gallery, but the mashup of Where's Waldo and the "single bullet" game from Point Blank is quite fun.

RadarScope1 said:
Really surprised by how much I enjoy Head Shot 2. It's pretty much just a shooting gallery, but the mashup of Where's Waldo and the "single bullet" game from Point Blank is quite fun.
Yeah, it's a lot better than I expected it to be. Not enough for me to buy it, but I did rate it fairly highly after the demo.

I had a chance to playtest Johnny Platform Saves Christmas today and loved it. The game is too much fun. Hopefully Craig will have the game out in time before Christmas. :D

Anso said:
Yeah, us here in Sweden got lucky but I'm enjoying the crap out of XBLIG so far. Always fun to be able to play games you've been part of creating too :lol

I agree. I can't wait to see what 2010 brings.

Giant Bomb is supposed to be doing some kind of indie game quick look this week, should be interesting. Hope they do Groov, that game rocks.

Jarate

Banned
I've been thinking about starting my own projects of sorts and making my own XNA game. Once a good time frame for how long these games will take to make, also how does one advertise these XNA games

also how helpful is Microsoft in regards to helping get these games press, and also help a company to possibly make a game on the arcade?

Also, how would one get an online system going, would you have to host your own servers or will microsoft pay for it?

binary

I played a bunch of Indie games this weekend and I thought I'd share some of my favorites. Some were released months ago, but may have been overlooked.

Cavein - Miner Rescue Team - Puzzle game with great graphics! Best $1 Indie game period.

Bowling X
- Solid bowling game with good physics. Would have been better with online play, but a good deal at $3.

Mithra - Episode 1, Chapter 1 - 3d Action/Adventure game with fun puzzles. Great graphics and quirky (think Oddworld or Roboblitz). Best story focused Indie game I've played.

Storage Inc.
- Puzzle game that involves moving boxes around a warehouse. Good game, but would have been better with online co-op. Would have benefited from in-game music as well. Still worth a try.

Air Legends - 2.5d World War II dogfighting game. A steal at $1

barkers crest said:
I haven't seen Pixel Boarder in playtest so it might be a ways off.

Anyways, here is a screen from my next game:

Looks pretty good, is it a full baseball game or kind of more of a home run derby type deal?

Neuromancer said:
Looks pretty good, is it a full baseball game or kind of more of a home run derby type deal?

It is a home run derby type deal. Based on focus testing it has that "One more Try" appeal to it. When lowest possible price point makes sweet love to short development cycle this is the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom