• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Is that actual Avatars in the background or just JPEGs?

Looks great so far, but I think some simple lighting effects and shadows would make it look a much better :)

besiktas1

Rlan said:
Looks great so far, but I think some simple lighting effects and shadows would make it look a much better :)
Needs next gen filter

2cpcgb5.png

Rlan said:
Is that actual Avatars in the background or just JPEGs?

Thanks. Check your PM.

The Avatars in the crowd are dyanamic billboards. They move around, cheer, the whole nine yards. I also have since added a shadow under the batter and it does look a lot better.

besiktas1 said:
Needs next gen filter

:lol :lol

besiktas1

gunswordfist said:
What are all the good XNA games that I should get?

Go to top rated and download all the trails there that's a good start.

Off the top of my head:
Miner Dig Deep - Mining game, addicting, 1buck
Johhny Biscuit - Platformer, 1 buck
Jump! - Great presentation platformer
Kattien Pattieseri (sp?) - Puzzle type game, you change gravity

Then there's lots of good (well does the job) clones or simple games worth a shot depending on what you want: Picross, Sudoku, slots, blackjack ect.

Just wade through the shit. Lot of shit there though, lot of shit. There are some great games.

It's well worth going and downloading everything in the top rated section (or viewing all and grabbing everything which has got 4 or 5 stars). Whilst the ratings have utterly screwed over some very good games, there's really not much which has been rated highly which doesn't deserve it for one reason or another.

barkers crest said:
It is a home run derby type deal. Based on focus testing it has that "One more Try" appeal to it. When lowest possible price point makes sweet love to short development cycle this is the result.
Even better actually. I'll have to give this a shot some time.

Yep, predictably brilliant.

I love how there's little reminders of the previous game in a few levels, it does make me smile.

It stays easy for muuuch longer though. I did a run to level 53 without needing to continue, I think my best in JPBR was around 35.

With 47 more levels to go, though, this should get properly hard.

Speevy

Banned
Shig said:
If this game doesn't inspire an equal or greater word of mouth landslide than the thoroughly underremarkable "I Maed a Game with Zombies in It," humanity has no hope.

But that game has a funny song in it. You see, most people never play these games beyond the first few minutes. That's why the creator of the zombie game is brilliant, because he knew how to hook people, even if his game isn't very good.

AlexM

Been learning a bit of XNA, it's quite fun. I decided to take up math and go to school partially because of how fun it was.

Here's a game I just made as a learning exercise, obviously there wont be any download due to the Akuma's among other things :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm_LgXDNQU8

And here's a little platformer I'm doing with a friend who's doing the art, may not be worth posting yet as all I have it the character and a parallaxing background manager (NOT derived from any tutorials :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvZj1M2F6o

toythatkills said:
Yep, predictably brilliant.

I love how there's little reminders of the previous game in a few levels, it does make me smile.

It stays easy for muuuch longer though. I did a run to level 53 without needing to continue, I think my best in JPBR was around 35.

With 47 more levels to go, though, this should get properly hard.

I'm stuck on level 19.

Feep said:
(laugh) Dammit! There's no way I can convert my game into an Old Spice title!

I have a pretty decent idea that wouldn't be too hard to code but I am just not up for doing any artwork at all.

AlexM said:
And here's a little platformer I'm doing with a friend who's doing the art, may not be worth posting yet as all I have it the character and a parallaxing background manager (NOT derived from any tutorials :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvZj1M2F6o
That's a pretty cool style if you can build a solid game around it. It definitely works better for the background than the character, though.

barkers crest said:
I'm stuck on level 19.
Oh :lol

Urishizu

boxart.jpg

My project, Venatio Creo, is back in peer review if anyone would like to provide some feedback. It's a port of my game development toolkit for the PC, with a few missing features due to the closed nature of the Xbox 360 platform.

Obligatory screen from one of the demo projects:

screen1.jpg

barkers crest said:
I haven't seen Pixel Boarder in playtest so it might be a ways off.

Anyways, here is a screen from my next game:

homerunchallenge3.png

Can you not implement a little anisotropic filtering? It'd make it a lot nicer to look at, or does XNA not allow you to add AF?

webrunner

I've been looking through tutorials, is there really no way to do an episodic game that shares content? I found a link to a tutorial on ziggyware to share data but ziggy's apparently gone so that's no help.

I wanted to start work on ADV2 again but re-start it as an XNA series instead of what I have done in C++/HGE... maybe I can do it like After Years?

Rlan

Up to level 63 of Johnny Platform Xmas. Those levels that require to bounce off other enemies are hard. I don't think I'm doing it right.

Holy shit I took a chance on Streets of Fury.

It's so damn cool. It's like some bizarre combination of Pit Fighter & Guardian Heroes.

While the game could definitely stand to have more characters it's surprisingly competent and the soundtrack is pretty swell.

Also got um...Kaiten Patissier.
Interesting little puzzle game where you gotta rotate the room to collect all the sweets. I've done worse for a buck.

I just returned to JPBR a night or two ago. Never did beat the last few sections so I'm doing it now. Sequel looks ace. Likely will buy this. I'm surprised by the lack of competent platformers on the Indie channel.

Speaking of that - is The Sonic Retard still around in this thread? What's up with your game, man???

ShapeGSX

Thanks for posting the new Dream, Build, Play.

I had been pondering a subscription, so I could play my awesome breakout clone on my 360. Now, not only can I do that for free, but I can also transform it into Matterhorn Breakout: Old Spice Edition!

Gave Crimson Blues a try earlier on. On the one hand it has a ton of potential, there are some nice ideas here that could have made for a pretty awesome selection of puzzle/platforming levels.

On the other hand, the combat is rubbish to the point that it's completely unnecessary. Worse, there are about 100,000 different controls and by the end of the tutorial I'd forgotten everything I learnt at the start.

Just needs a bit more focus.

barkers crest said:
What part of the scene do you think needs the anistropic filtering?

All of it! As every game does. :lol

Seriously though, the ground just looks a little too indistinct, and the angle you're viewing it from magnifies the issue. Makes it look like its flat shaded rather than an actual texture. Since you'll be seeing the game from that angle it could make it look much nicer. More than anything I was just trying to see what sort of control they give you over stuff like anisotropic filtering, ;).

Game looks to be shaping up quite nicely, you definitely seem to be a step ahead of the rest of the field when it comes to overall polish in your indie games, good work.

I gave Crimson Blues a whirl, it has good ideas but far too many of them. The block carrying and colour switching mechanics could (and should) be separate games.

RE Platypus, does the original author get any money from this XNA release? I recall there being some shenanigans involving this title.

Tell me about Gerbil Physics... I probably overlooked that one due to the silly name.

EDIT: I've just noticed that Pocoro has dropped to 80 Microsoft Points. Everybody needs this game, especially at that price. Just for the atmosphere alone, but it's a really neat puzzle game.

Nasreddin

Leave Home is godlike!

scr2.jpg

Best Shoot 'em Up in 2009. Has a an awesome score attack mode. So everybody who likes Rez should download this.

Anso

Nasreddin said:
Leave Home is godlike!

scr2.jpg

Best Shoot 'em Up in 2009. Has a an awesome score attack mode. So everybody who likes Rez should download this.

I'm quoting this with the screenshot because GODDAMNIT IT'S TRUE.

Roquentin

barkers crest said:
Hey all. Which screen between the following two would you pick to be uploaded onto the marketplace.

A:
http://www.barkerscrest.com/publicimages/hrc_screen4_A.jpg[IMG]

or

B:
[IMG]http://www.barkerscrest.com/publicimages/hrc_screen4_B.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
A.

It looks like you followed brain_stew's advice and added better texture filtering, right?

Comparison
[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2mnqhbo.jpg

a Master Ninja said:
I'd go with A, as long as you can't get in trouble by Ubisoft for doing so.

Avatar Golf has some screens out on the marketplace with StormTrooper and COG gear that Microsoft have actively selected to promote the game so all should be good there.

BiasedGamer said:
It looks like you followed brain_stew's advice and added better texture filtering, right?

Yes I did and it looks much better. Long story short, I normally set the Texture Filter to anistropic in the FX file but for drawing the terrain in this project I was setting the sampler state's texture filter in the C# code. Turns out that if you use basic effect it resets the sampler's min and mag filters to linear.

Moral of the story is if you use basic effect set your filters after calling effect.Begin().

Nice eye, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom