• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Thor Ragnarock runtime is shortest in MCU: 100 min

Status
Not open for further replies.

smisk

I'm fine with this. Personally I think it's kinda indulgent that every movie seems to be 2-2.5 hours. Unless you're fucking Kubrick or something there's no need for it to be that long. Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't much longer than 90 minutes, and I thought it's length was fine.

Bronx-Man

Banned
What makes it even weirder is Taikia saying that something like 80% of the movie is all improv. That gives me some good vibes.

platakul

Banned
I'm fine with this. Personally I think it's kinda indulgent that every movie seems to be 2-2.5 hours. Unless you're fucking Kubrick or something there's no need for it to be that long. Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't much longer than 90 minutes, and I thought it's length was fine.
HoCo is 2h13

orochi91

Yeah, I prefer longer superhero movies.

That being said, I don't expect or need a 2 1/2 hour Thor movie. But there's no way the final cut is only an hour and 40 minutes.
Agreed.

I'm hoping for a Director's Cut or Extended Edition someday.

bionic77

I'm skipping it then.

Ticket prices are pretty high here, and I want value for my money.

For a blockbuster film, ~1.5 hours simply isn't acceptable.
There really is a defense force for everything on the internet.

I am tempted to create a thread about how bad child molestation is...

LotusHD

Banned
It's obvious Marvel has little faith so they're trying to do the least amount of damage to audiences.

Do you ever get tired?

Is it weird that this is the Superhero film I'm the most excited for atm? These ultimate team ups are starting to feel bloated in comparison

At this point, no. Those trailers are hype af, and have inspired the most confidence out of all the other superhero trailers this year other than Black Panther.

VegiHam

There really is a defense force for everything on the internet.

I am tempted to create a thread about how bad child molestation is...

Man there are people in this thread who are like "good I wanna pay the same and get less movie cus like I hate having money." It's you guys who are defending the choice to go shorter. Must be nice being rich.

Buckle

Seems really short for a movie this big with elements of both Planet Hulk elements and Ragnarok in them but eh, alright.

We'll see how it turns out.

Man there are people in this thread who are like "good I wanna pay the same and get less movie cus like I hate having money." It's you guys who are defending the choice to go shorter. Must be nice being rich.
You know sometimes I really can't tell is posts are jokes or not.

SpaceWolf

Banned

You talk about paying to see movies like they're value packs of cheddar or something.

a916

It's a full blown comedy ain't it... usually comedies are great in short runs.

But who the hell knows how long it takes to tell Thor Ragnarok, can't say until it's out in theatres.

A good movie is as long as it's supposed to be.

Fhtagn

It's obvious Marvel has little faith so they're trying to do the least amount of damage to audiences.

How is it possible that your take is the absolute worst possible one every time? You never break character so I'm assuming this isn't a joke? The trailers they've put out ooze confidence.

Well folks are defending this movie's run time so....

100 minutes is a reasonable length for a movie, and despite how it's phrased in the title of the thread, this isn't the final cut yet.

So, reacting like this is great news or terrible news is ridiculous. It's a little surprising considering the grandeur on display, but the director is someone with a proven track record at that duration.

Personally, I hope it ends up closer to 2 hours, but if the pacing is right, 100 sounds fine.

It is pretty cool being rich. If I go to a movie that's a half hour shorter than usual, I bide the missed time by immediately spending the next 30 minutes snorting coke off a hooker's ass. Makes the effective cost of the film quite high!

iFirez

90-100mins is the sweet spot for a lot of movies on my eyes. As an editor I'd love to chop of up some recent blockbusters, especially the 120min+ ones, they start plodding along a little too slowly at times.

Toothless

This is great news. Shorter blockbusters are the best blockbusters (see Dunkirk, Gravity). The longer they are the more likely they feel bloated. Sure you get the bad short one here and there, but those are butchered by the studio, not planned out like this one is.

Fhtagn

I would like to point out that the greatest action movie of all time is 101 minutes: The Raid.

Which I saw in the theater and thought was well worth the money.

The sequel is 150 minutes. I like it fine but plenty of people gripe about it being so damn long.

Are you also one of those on gaming side who say that games that are only a few hours long are a waste of money?

VegiHam

You know sometimes I really can't tell is posts are jokes or not.

You talk about paying to see movies like they're value packs of cheddar or something.

I'm not entirely serious, I'm still really interested in this movie and just a little bit disappointed. But I'm coming at this with passion cus we've had this fight on gaming side and I'm sick of snobs insisting it's terrible to judge a games worth based on how long you'll be playing it for when for some people $60 is a lot of money and the difference between 10 and 100 hours is pretty significant. I don't think the argument is as intrinsically terrible as some gaffers seem too. It's much less of an issue with movies but yes, since I only get to see a film in cinema every few months I do feel a little cheated if it's over quickly and isn't amazing. Get me thinking what else I could do with the money.

Like I want to not think about it and judge things only on true artistic merit. That'd be great. But I'm just not financially secure enough to do that.

Are you also one of those on gaming side who say that games that are only a few hours long are a waste of money?

No, but I'm one of those who won't pay $60 for them

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

LoL fuckin wut?

This is just the silliest thing ever. Like you rate movies on how long they go? Why even go to the movies? Just go to IMDB and look up the longest run times, nod your head approvingly at whatever garbage 4hour+ movie you decide has the best box art and call it day! No need to even watch it! :-D

You're all jokes. I don't care if you say you're serious. You be jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom