• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three Muslim Siblings booted off plane because text on phone was in Arabic

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP_

Banned
How do we screen everyone?

I mean if someone see's a white person acting suspiciously they should say something obviously.
But these people weren't acting suspiciously. That's the point people are making. Yes, you should report suspicious behavior no matter what race they are. Having Arabic on your phone is not suspicious behavior and should not be reported.

Betty

Banned
There is nothing wrong with investigating suspicious activity but the only thing that the 3 siblings did was that they were Muslims and brown. That is the issue. Can you tell me what did they do that made them suspicious?

Nothing

They three siblings did nothing wrong.

The person who complained was in the wrong.

As I said from the start.

I'd imagine they were singled out because we've had quite a few high profile terrorist attacks committed by people claiming to be muslims.

Most of these attackers were ethnically either arabic or descendants.

Pretty sure the above statements are merely facts so calling me a racist on those points wouldn't make much sense but if you gotta you gotta.

Anyway the person reporting the siblings probably imagined they were planning an attack which doesn't make much sense considering how stringent the security at airports is.

Which is why I said that it was wrong

People will bring up Breivik and say well why don't we profile all white people.

Because it was a single incident, now if we had a Breivik styled attack every few months, involving a few white people at a time, I'd find it completely understandable if people scrutinised white people as a result and singled them out more.

Hell, when a muslim or anyone who isn't white is murdered and the attack appears unprovoked like the death of that imam and his colleague recently, people are quick to assume it's a hate crime by a white person.

And it's completely understandable why that is people's first line of thought.

We're conditioned through our media and experiences, which for most people doesn't extend past their tv and computer.

Again, I wish this wasn't how things are, but until things improve too people will have stereotypical views of others.

If this were remotely true white men in America would the most villainized group in the country by law enforcement and the media as they've shown time and again to predominantly be the perpetrators of mass killings.

Are they the most villainized of the groups in America or does the narrative always turn to "what about ethic crime?" Black of Black crime, terrorism, Mexicans and so forth.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Yeah, I doubt them being muslims even matters, or if the text was Arabic. Even if it was in hindi the other passengers' imagination would have probably run wild.
An Italian American professor writing out a math equation on a plane, was confused for an Arab terrorist writing a terrorist message in Arabic. You're right, it wouldn't have mattered what language that was seen, so long as the person was brown enough and the writing wasn't using the Latin script.

Betty

Banned
But these people weren't acting suspiciously. That's the point people are making. Yes, you should report suspicious behavior no matter what race they are. Having Arabic on your phone is not suspicious behavior and should not be reported.

So clearly at some point people just didn't see my first post so I'm going to relink it

This situation of course was an error on the judgement of whoever complained.

I'm not defending this incident.

Nepenthe

So potentially saving those 14 people wasn't worth it because it would still be racist.

That's what you're saying.

Just so we know.

Really?

You're presenting this really disingenuous binary choice wherein we either have to be racist or people will die by comparing a situation where a racist saw a family's color and freaked out and another where a guy actually witnessed verifiable activity that could be reasonably construed as suspicious being performed by people who happen to have been brown. Stop.

How do we screen everyone?

I mean if someone see's a white person acting suspiciously they should say something obviously.

Being muslim in and of itself is not cause for suspicion. Do you agree or disagree with this? If so, why?

So clearly at some point people just didn't see my first post so I'm going to relink it

Why is it when people say ignorant shit and get taken to the mat for it they put on this victim complex and act like folks here aren't reading their posts, in their entirety?

I'm not defending this incident.

Yes, you are.

Guevara

Having a Quran app doesn't make you Muslim

You'd be surprised how many people read books of faith just to get some insight.... It's also a reason why athiests school people on their own religion sometimes

Sure, I took a comparative religions class in college.

But all the texts were translated into English. Hard to get much insight from a language you don't speak.

This state of paranoia that is developing worldwide will lead us all to a very dark place if it is allowed to continue to develop.

Really not sure how to solve this, other than somehow eradicating the cancer of the world that is ISIS and fundamentalist terrorism in general. However, global politics stands in the way of the people of the world actually doing this......from what I've read, it seems like in many countries, some of our very leaders are actively working against this, because the fear and dissent caused by the presence of this terrorism leads to more power and influence for them.......*sigh*.......

One of the best things we can do is bring these sort of fearful misunderstandings to light, as this thread does....maybe it will help to prevent some future prejudiced situations from happening...

Betty

Banned
If this were remotely true white men in America would the most villainized group in the country by law enforcement and the media as they've shown time and again to predominantly be the perpetrators of mass killings.

Are they the most villainized of the groups in America or does the narrative always turn to "what about ethic crime?" Black of Black crime, terrorism, Mexicans and so forth.

They would be the most villainized group by law enforcement and the media, but they aren't because those same groups are run by and filled with mostly white people.

It's easier and more mentally comfortable for groups of people to ignore their own shortcomings and blame others.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't talking about this incident in that comment, clearly the person who complained was in the wrong.

I'm saying if someone does see something actually suspicious that they report it rather than worry about the fear of being labelled racist.

Too many awful things have happened because someone was afraid of being offensive.

If this site is reliable (I'm too lazy to go find out more about something that you said)

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ie-says-neighbors-san-bernardino-shooters-kn/

the account that the neighbours were afraid of being labelled racist for reporting the san Bernardino shooters is simply untrue or not substantiated.

Betty

Banned
Being muslim in and of itself is not cause for suspicion. Do you agree or disagree with this? If so, why?

I agree, because there are something like a billion muslims in the world and the type of attacks carried out by muslims only makes up the most tiniest of proportions.

Yes, you are.

In this case the person who complained was in the wrong because airports have very high security and because what those girls was doing was completely innocent.

That's like the 8th time i've said that.

But I don't care what your skin colour or background is, if you see someone do something actually suspicious, which wasn't the case here, no matter who they are, you should report it rather than fear being labelled racist.

They would be the most villainized group by law enforcement and the media, but they aren't because those same groups are run by and filled with mostly white people.

It's easier and more mentally comfortable for groups of people to ignore their own shortcomings and blame others.

Then isn't the argument of media conditioning a flawed one? You can't say it's the media fault and at the same time acknowledge the message they perpetuate is one that isn't unfounded in real facts.

Betty

Banned
Sure, I took a comparative religions class in college.

But all the texts were translated into English. Hard to get much insight from a language you don't speak.

Tha app featured Arabic text, but since the person making accusations said they saw "praise allah" I'm going to assume it did also do translations

Betty

Banned
Then isn't the argument of media conditioning a flawed one? You can't say it's the media fault and at the same time acknowledge the message they perpetuate is one that isn't unfounded in real facts.

Sure you can, the media can be an untruthful, biased piece of propaganda.

But to the viewers unaware or unconcerned by this it still influences their though process.

Just compare a left leaning site to a right leaning site to see the difference in what people from different backgrounds choose to believe and take in.

And more than the media our own experiences in real life can drastically alter people's perception.

But I don't care what your skin colour or background is, if you see someone do something actually suspicious, which wasn't the case here, no matter who they are, you should report it rather than fear being labelled racist.

Why do you feel the need to continue to make this point in the context of this thread where that was CLEARLY not the case?

You continuing the make this point in contrast to what you just said that this incident was a bad call and wrong is confusing and makes it seem like you believe the actions of people in this case to see a brown person and cry "terrorist" is justified.

Especially with silly shit like "deal with it".

EYEL1NER

That's an accurate translation
Thanks. I waited a bit after seeing it to post but I missed the image someone posted on the last page with the translation on it too, which would have confirmed it. I think my brain shut off a bit while scrolling after reading some of the insane posts ITT. "When I see a brown person with a beard and backpack on a train, I move as far away from them as I can, and that's why I'm still alive today." Seriously, what the fuck...?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly so many news sites covered it I just took it as gospel but I suppose there may be room for doubt.

I read a few more articles but they don't seem to collaborate. The Aaron Elswick in question (he was the named person who spoke to the media) seems to be the friend of the neighbour who saw things but didn't want to report? And they were talking about the shooter's mother home but not the shooter's home. Some articles made it seem like it was a neighbour who spoke to the media about what he or she saw at the shooter's house. I wouldn't talk this account as accurate or useful in anyway. Seems like just ammo for the conservative side.

So potentially saving those 14 people wasn't worth it because it would still be racist.

That's what you're saying.

Just so we know.

Really?

This is a very inane way of looking at the situation. As if them calling the police would've definitely stopped the shooting from happening.

And yes even if it did, it still would've been racist. Even if it was justifiable in the end that doesn't suddenly make it not be racist. Because they still saw a Muslim family doing suspicious things and called the cops on them for no reason other then the fact that they were Arab.

Does a cop stop and frisking 100 people and finding a gun on 1 of them, change the fact that they profiled 100 people (99 of whom were innocent) on no basis other than skin tone?

Like I said you can argue justification all you, but discrimination is still discrimination, point blank.

EDIT: And int he case of the SB shooting had the neighbors actually seen them doing something suspicious yes, then by all means call the cops. But seeing them come home late and move shit into their house is not suspicious whatsoever, and there's no reason a cop should be called in that case.

What does this have to do with anything? The entire implication of this thread of accusing people of being suspicious entirely because of their race. Noone gives a shit if actually suspicious activity is reported as suspicious. Why do you feel like pointing this out says anything of value?

If the basis of your suspicion is someone's race makes theit activities suspicious you're a racist. It doesn't matter whether you end up being correct, you're a racist. And the police should not entertain accusations without a shred of legitimate proof. I know its cool to accuse minorities of wrong doing for living normal lives but it shouldmt be entertained. At all.

Suspicious activity needs to be more than, they come and go at various times of the day.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't talking about this incident in that comment, clearly the person who complained was in the wrong.

I'm saying if someone does see something actually suspicious that they report it rather than worry about the fear of being labelled racist.

Too many awful things have happened because someone was afraid of being offensive.
You know your world view is fucked when you worry more about being perceived as a racist than actually being one.

Betty

Banned
Why do you feel the need to continue to make this point in the context of this thread where that was CLEARLY not the case?

You continuing the make this point in contrast to what you just said that this incident was a bad call and wrong is confusing and makes it seem like you believe the actions of people in this case to see a brown person and cry "terrorist" is justified.

Especially with silly shit like "deal with it".

I'm not trying to make it confusing so I'll try again.

This incident, bad, wrong.

Refusing to report actual suspicious behaviour because of being perceived as racist, also wrong.

I'm not equating it to this incident, only to other potential legitimate incidents.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
And why would you have a Quran app in a language you don't speak?
You don't know much about Muslims do you? Lol

A good majority of Muslims can read and recite verses from the Qu'ran without actually knowing any Arabic. It's because they have to pray in that language. Many actually memorise the entire Qu'ran without knowing what any of it means. So them having that app isn't surprising at all.

Refusing to report actual suspicious behaviour because of being perceived as racist, also wrong.

I'm not equating it to this incident, only to other potential legitimate incidents.

Is anyone actually arguing against this? Obviously if something is suspicious report it. But if it's suspicious because of the persons (race, religion, ethncity etc...) and not because of the actual action. Then that is profiling.

Guevara

You don't know much about Muslims do you? Lol

A good majority of Muslims can read and recite verses from the Qu'ran without actually knowing any Arabic. It's because they have to pray in that language. Many actually memorise the entire Qu'ran without knowing what any of it means. So them having that app isn't surprising at all.

That sounds crazy to me, but ok.

If you're telling me that's normal, I believe it.

Llyranor

So you admit that your example was a red herring that has nothing with the topic at hand?

SystemBug

What language do they speak/were they texting in?

What did the other passenger see or claim to see?

And why would you have a Quran app in a language you don't speak?

If they grew up in a Western country they were probably speaking english, since that's how most siblings South Asians communicate between siblings.

as for having the Quran app in Arabic? Well, the Quran is in Arabic. That's how everybody learns how to read it, in Arabic.

Aki-at

People saying better safe than sorry should try living like a minority.

When I first read this I was expecting it based in America but turned out to be in the UK. Luckily I'm flying out with Emirates in September so I doubt I'll be stopped as one of those pesky brown people.

Shame those three had to endure this though, the UK has changed :(

This is dumb. I almost want to say that something should happen to these people who report brown skinned people and delaying the flights because of their own preconceived notions. Just like the brown skinned man who was kicked off his flight for doing math, or the one who was reported for speaking Arabic on his phone before the flight took off. I get that passenger safety is paramount, but there should be something in place to hold those people accountable for their reporting as well. Better yet, maybe the airlines first move shouldn't be to immediately yank someone off of a flight.

Lamel

Banned
What happens if these hyper-paranoid people board a flight on Emirates/Etihad etc., an airline filled with brown people of all sorts and even arabic writing in the videos and the language on the PA system. They would probably shit themselves.

Look at the siblings in the pic in the article, such shady and suspicious looking people man. Wow they have arabic on their phone? A language spoken by 400+ million people? SUSPICIOUS!

That sounds crazy to me, but ok.

If you're telling me that's normal, I believe it.

It is very normal. You've learned something new today.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
What happens if these hyper-paranoid people board a flight on Emirates/Etihad etc., an airline filled with brown people of all sorts and even arabic writing in the videos and the language on the PA system. They would probably shit themselves.

Look at the siblings in the pic in the article, such shady and suspicious looking people man. Wow they have arabic on their phone? A language spoken by 400+ million people? SUSPICIOUS!

Or if they one day decide to visit a country like Singapore, Malaysia or Indonesia.

Yeah read about this today.

Treated like shite. Its no wonder so many feel shunned.

I think that this is how it will be for a long time. Cry wolf when you see an Asian claiming they are Isis.

They deserve a better apology and compensation for the embarrassment

bionic77

This is what happens when you give authority and control to stupid people.

Any moron on a plane can complain they think some brown, aka "suspicious", passenger is doing something that makes them think they are terrorist. I feel like the staff have to take that complaint seriously, no matter how stupid it may be. Because of that you might delay or cancel the flight for an entire plane and terrify and further inconvenience whichever innocent people were suspected of being terrorists all because we listened to an idiot who is seeing things that are not really there.

Escargo

They should really question the accuser before moving on to questioning the suspects. Otherwise anybody can just get away with "inconveniencing" the passengers.

Codeblue

I like that they held the plane. That should be a rule. Are you really afraid or is it worth an hour of your time to be a total dick?

This is what happens when you give authority and control to stupid people.

Any moron on a plane can complain they think some brown, aka "suspicious", passenger is doing something that makes them think they are terrorist. I feel like the staff have to take that complaint seriously, no matter how stupid it may be. Because of that you might delay or cancel the flight for an entire plane and terrify and further inconvenience whichever innocent people were suspected of being terrorists all because we listened to an idiot who is seeing things that are not really there.

Taking the complaint seriously is taking the accuser.off the flight and asking for proof or evidence. Honestly, this shit shouldnt be entertained without actual evidemce backing the suspicion.

It's no different then white people calling the police on blacks because "he was acting suspicious" when they are literally just doing normal people shit.

The better safe than sorry people are actually arguimg "better to be racist and embarass a minority than live with our irrational fear".

bionic77

They should really question the accuser before moving on to questioning the suspects. Otherwise anybody can just get away with "inconveniencing" the passengers.
i think you have to take it seriously. How do the staff and police know the accuser was an idiot?

Once it is clear that it is bullshit they should probably also take the accuser off the plane and lay into him/her for a few minutes telling them to stop wasting everyones time and not to make false or baseless accusations before sending everyone on their way.

p00d3xld.jpg

That's what happens when this guy is running the Immigration Dept at an Airport

NEO0MJ

fixed

Arabic is the language, Arab is the ethnic group. Arabian is the nationality of those from Saudi Arabia. =]

They don't have to be from Saudi Arabia. People from the Arabian peninsula, the Levant, and north Africa might call themselves Arab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom