• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three Muslim Siblings booted off plane because text on phone was in Arabic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The neighbours of the San Bernardino shooters noticed that the couple was receiving packages and working at strange hours into the night.

But thanks to fear of being called racist they never reported it.

Had they, 14 people wouldn't be dead.

Now quite easily the couple could've been doing something completely innocuous and none of the things the neighbours saw pointed to terrorism explicitly.

But out of not wanting to offend an attack was allowed to happen.

So again, I'd rather people point out suspicious things and put up with being called racists and offending people than having an actual attack go through.

I wish it wasn't like this, but until the whole terrorism thing sort of calms down, that's the world we live in.

Deal with it.

So, people aren't allowed to work 2nd and 3rd shifts or receive mail. Got it.

I actually work in an area where the l production industry basically is the great provider of jobs for people and plants run near 24/7. Lots of the employees are white and way too many of them (for my comfort level) are Trump supporters. They also work strange hours and receive packages, so it's basically my civic duty to start reporting these assholes to the authorities in order to prevent the next Charleston church shooting!

The neighbours of the San Bernardino shooters noticed that the couple was receiving packages and working at strange hours into the night.

Now quite easily the couple could've been doing something completely innocuous and none of the things the neighbours saw pointed to terrorism explicitly.

So again, I'd rather people point out suspicious things and put up with being called racists and offending people than having an actual attack go through.

I wish it wasn't like this, but until the whole terrorism thing sort of calms down, that's the world we live in.

Deal with it.

Other than them being brown what's suspicious about their behavior?

Nothing. That's the word you're looking for. But it's ok to be afraid of brown people. By your logic is it ok to be afraid of Black people? It's ok, be honest.

hodgy100

sigh..
no offense man, but you and some of other users on this post are the reason I don't bother with social posting on gaf..
i'll let you have your idea on the matter and won't bother posting anymore.. clearly our views are different, and your argumentation are in my eyes debatable at best..
but thanks for the discussion nonetheless..

no dude, not wanting to come into conflict over your backwards ass ideals and refusal to admit that you are harbouring prejudiced views are why you avoid discussing these topics on here.

Llyranor

Deal with it.

This is the same rationale that led to all those '[doing normal activity] while black' deaths because of people calling the cops for 'suspicious' activity, when the only criteria for said suspiciousness was the color of their skin.

Your post is the most reprehensible here because you're actually trying to paint yourself as the voice of reason.

This helps motivate some to want to wage war on the West - perceived acts of injustice and racism. Of course it's not that simple but shit like this does not build bridges but helps to dismantle them. In a modern progressive society this is shameful.

Betty

Banned
What did the siblings do that was so suspicious?

Greek guy doing maths?

Arabic guy talking Arabic on the phone?

Other similar incidents?

Dickhead.

I already said in an above comment the person who reported the siblings was in the wrong.

But hey, by the replies i'm getting, seems the consensus is that even the suggestion of being labelled a racist should be the worst thing imaginable so... I don't know, let's just hope for the best I guess.

Zips

Passengers/Staff making such accusatory calls should require a higher degree of evidence than someone speaking/reading a foreign language (Arabic) while having certain appearances (Brown).

There is no "better safe than sorry" in this. It's just a sorry state of mind to have such a fear of others.

To be fair, Anders Brevik was a thirty something white shut-in playing MMOs and posting online. If we finally started systematically investigating these people, we could have avoided 77 deaths.

Deal with it.

1. What was suspicious about what the siblings were doing?
2. What is suspicious about what you posted?
3. Since they were neighbors they could've just spoken to them.

And because it has been conveniently ignored, since you think profiling is okay, do you think as an American it'd be alright to profile White Americans since they're a much larger threat to my safety than Muslims are?

http://time.com/3934980/right-wing-extremists-white-terrorism-islamist-jihadi-dangerous/

https://thinkprogress.org/you-are-m...-by-muslim-terrorists-417f3c3461db#.xsddoyoho

My bad then, but yeah, there are other posts that say pretty much exactly the same thing so it's hard to know.

The sad part is, I wasn't even attempting a subtle Astrolad type of post. I thought it would have been obvious that I was being sarcastic, but then I had a look at some other posts in the thread...

I already said in an above comment the person who reported the siblings was in the wrong.

But hey, by the replies i'm getting, seems the consensus is that even the suggestion of being labelled a racist should be the worst thing imaginable so... I don't know, let's just hope for the best I guess.

You also said "deal with it" as if this should be the norm. It shouldn't. People shouldn't be accosted because they have the nerve to fly while being brown.

Being not-white shouldn't be grounds for suspicion. If you disagree with that then you're a straight up bigot.

RazMaTaz

Banned
They were treated like second class citizens. Anyone thinking this is ok deserves to get their head checked. You go through screening and security checks prior to getting on the flight. If that isnt good enough, then what the hell is?

This picture explains exactly this situation:

This-text-has-no-other-purpose-than-to-terrify-those-who-are-afraid-of-the-Arabic-language.jpg

Thank god for Emirates and UAE aeroplanes, never would board a heap of crap USA airline, British Airways or these piss poor low budgetry ones with the way these people act and how much Islamaphobia is spreading even when catching a god damn aeroplane. Hopefully this goes viral and gives easyjet a good hiding.

Terrorists have won, and the sad reality we live in.

thegoosen

Neo Member

Deal with it.

If you think calling people guilty till being proved otherwise brings anything positive to our society, you're just delusional.

Deal with it.

Betty

Banned
1. What was suspicious about what the siblings were doing?
2. What is suspicious about what you posted?
3. Since they were neighbors they could've just spoken to them.

And because it has been conveniently ignored, since you think profiling is okay, do you think as an American it'd be alright to profile White Americans since they're a much larger threat to my safety than Muslims are?

http://time.com/3934980/right-wing-extremists-white-terrorism-islamist-jihadi-dangerous/

https://thinkprogress.org/you-are-m...-by-muslim-terrorists-417f3c3461db#.xsddoyoho

1. Nothing I said as much in an earlier post, that it was an error on the judgement of whoever made the complaint.
2. Absolutely nothing. Doesn't change the fact had they reported these things the attack could've been prevented. But according to everyone who disagree's with me they did the right thing by not reporting anything.
3. They could've but that might've been awkward if the neighbours really weren't doing anything and would've driven a wedge in relations since the neighbours would consider you racists for being suspicious of innocent activities.

And yes I think it's fine to profile white americans in a lot of cases, I mean if someone see's something they deem suspicious they should report it.

If someone saw a white guy do something they feel was out of place or wrong or suspicious I wouldn't blame them.

I mean I've had instances where people assume I'm up to something when I'm not and while it's not the nicest thing in the world I'd rather they did that than let a future felon get away with something.

1. Nothing I said as much in an earlier post, that it was an error on the judgement of whoever made the complaint.
2. Absolutely nothing. Doesn't change the fact had they reported these things the attack could've been prevented. But according to everyone who disagree's with me they did the right thing by not reporting anything.
3. They could've but that might've been awkward if the neighbours really weren't doing anything and would've driven a wedge in relations since the neighbours would consider you racists for being suspicious of innocent activities.

And yes I think it's fine to profile white americans in a lot of cases, I mean if someone see's something they deem suspicious they should report it.

If someone saw a white guy do something they feel was out of place or wrong or suspicious I wouldn't blame them.

I mean I've had instances where people assume I'm up to something when I'm not and while it's not the nicest thing in the world I'd rather they did that than let a future felon get away with something.

Is it ok to be suspicious of someone for no other reason than they're brown? They weren't skulking around alleys at 3am. They were engaged in the same activities other non-brown people were at the time. If they are suspicious then wouldn't it stand to reason everyone else on the plane is?

If not, why not? Why do you think they were singled out?

Betty

Banned
If you think calling people guilty till being proved otherwise brings anything positive to our society you're just delusional.

Deal with it.

Never once said we should call people guilty until proved otherwise.

But choosing not to report something because it may be deemed racist is a bad path to go down, yes in this case it was unwarrented.

For example if I saw a white person suddenly drop a bag off at an public place randomly then quickly leave I'd alert someone just as I would if anyone else did the same thing.

Of course there's been plenty of times people let bigotry cloud their judgement and report totally innocent things like the guy doing maths on the plane or a couple for speaking in another language.

But when it comes to things that are actually suspicious people should not be afraid to raise alarm for fear of being labelled racist.

Never once said we should call people guilty until proved otherwise.

But choosing not to report something because it may be deemed racist is a bad path to go down, yes in this case it was unwarrented.

For example if I saw a white person suddenly drop a bag off at an public place randomly then quickly leave I'd alert someone just as I would if anyone else did the same thing.

Of course there's been plenty of times people let bigotry cloud their judgement and report totally innocent things like the guy doing maths on the plane or a couple for speaking in another language.

But when it comes to things that are actually suspicious people should not be afraid to raise alarm for fear of being labelled racist.

What was suspicious about the people in this instance?

2. If nothings was suspicious about it, then why the fuck would they report it to the police? The only reason would be because they were muslim/arab. If it had been a white person doing the same thing, they wouldn't have thought any differently. Which shows that their religion/ethnicity was the sole motivating factor behind them wanting to call the cops. AKA profiling aka racism. You can arguing about the justifications all you want but that doesn't change the fact that it's still racist.

3. And calling the cops wouldn't have had the same outcomes?

Also in regards to the profiling of white Americans, you say it's okay if they're doing something suspicious. But what counts as suspicious differs when it's a white person doing something vs when it's a minority. As we see in this case even the most innocuous thing can make a minority look suspicious when it'd take a hell of a lot more than that to make a white person look suspicious.

No the reason you don't bother posting on social issues is because you don't like seeing your arguments destroyed right in front of you. It's funny how that post offended you so much, when all that user was doing was throwing you're own argument right back at you.

EDIT: Like seriously, how do you not see the hypocrisy? A poster making a joke about profiling you cause you're white is enough to make you rage quit the thread, but you saying actual profiling against Muslims is alright. Are you fucking serious?

You are arguing with someone who stopped taking the train "because the brown people on it stink".

Leopold

I've got people looking at me for using a knitted kippah when flying to Italy. Thankfully the person close to me was sleeping during the prayers.

Guevara

Interesting that they held the flight up for an hour.

I wonder if people will be slower to "say something" next time they "see something", for fear of being delayed.

iPaul93

Considering everything that's been happening lately,I can't say I blame people that are afraid and don't want to take any chances.

Betty

Banned
Is it ok to be suspicious of someone for no other reason than they're brown? They weren't skulking around alleys at 3am. They were engaged in the same activities other non-brown people were at the time. If they are suspicious then wouldn't it stand to reason everyone else on the plane is?

If not, why not? Why do you think they were singled out?

I'd imagine they were singled out because we've had quite a few high profile terrorist attacks committed by people claiming to be muslims.

Most of these attackers were ethnically either arabic or descendants.

Pretty sure the above statements are merely facts so calling me a racist on those points wouldn't make much sense but if you gotta you gotta.

Anyway the person reporting the siblings probably imagined they were planning an attack which doesn't make much sense considering how stringent the security at airports is.

Which is why I said that it was wrong

People will bring up Breivik and say well why don't we profile all white people.

Because it was a single incident, now if we had a Breivik styled attack every few months, involving a few white people at a time, I'd find it completely understandable if people scrutinised white people as a result and singled them out more.

Hell, when a muslim or anyone who isn't white is murdered and the attack appears unprovoked like the death of that imam and his colleague recently, people are quick to assume it's a hate crime by a white person.

And it's completely understandable why that is people's first line of thought.

We're conditioned through our media and experiences, which for most people doesn't extend past their tv and computer.

Again, I wish this wasn't how things are, but until things improve too people will have stereotypical views of others.

Keasar

Clockwork

Earlier, two passengers - also travelling to Naples - had told authorities that the siblings had been looking at a mobile phone screen that showed either Arabic text or the words "praise be to Allah", Sakina said.

At this point shouldn't more questioning of the accuser have taken place? I mean which is it? Did it say "praise to Allah" or was it Arabic text? If it was both and or in Arabic how did the accuser know this/what it said?

You shouldn't just be able to make up bullshit like this. It can lead to what happened or in some cases even worse things like death for the accused party.

velociraptor

I'd imagine they were singled out because we've had quite a few high profile terrorist attacks committed by people claiming to be muslims.

Most of these attackers were ethnically either arabic or descendants.

Pretty sure the above statements are merely facts so calling me a racist on those points wouldn't make much sense but if you gotta you gotta.

Anyway the person reporting the siblings probably imagined they were planning an attack which doesn't make much sense considering how stringent the security at airports is.

Which is why I said that it was wrong

People will bring up Breivik and say well why don't we profile all white people.

Because it was a single incident, now if we had a Breivik styled attack every few months, involving a few white people at a time, I'd find it completely understandable if people scrutinised white people as a result and singled them out more.

Hell, when a muslim or anyone who isn't white is murdered and the attack appears unprovoked like the death of that imam and his colleague recently, people are quick to assume it's a hate crime by a white person.

And it's completely understandable why that is people's first line of thought.

We're conditioned through our media and experiences, which for most people doesn't extend past their tv and computer.

Again, I wish this wasn't how things are, but until things improve too people will have stereotypical views of others.
Should we screen all black people? Or all cops? Hell, mass shootings are committed by Caucasians in the US on a regular basis.

wachie

Eh, the false flag guy probably should have got booted, but I'm fine with them investigating.

I'm a brown dude myself and I've never had any problems flying.
You're fine with investigating just because the text is Arabic.

That's like investigating you for being brown. I hope it happens so you realize how dumb that thought is.

So random passengers have the power to check other people's passports?

The decision to remove the three from the plane was not taken by that random passenger.

edit: The Iraq thing is from from http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ged-off-plane-fellow-passengers-a7204956.html which has some more background.

To make matters worse, the man who appears to be an MI5 agent (yes, I cannot believe I'm writing these words either) asks me to talk him through my passport, including all my pilgrimages – hajj, and, unfortunately for me, also Iraq.

Betty

Banned
You can arguing about the justifications all you want but that doesn't change the fact that it's still racist.

So potentially saving those 14 people wasn't worth it because it would still be racist.

That's what you're saying.

Just so we know.

Really?

Llyranor

Are we going to nitpick all the previous normal activities of criminals now?

But Bin Laden ate at IHOP past midnight!! Why didn't anyone stop him?!!

Betty

Banned
Should we screen all black people? Or all cops? Hell, mass shootings are committed by Caucasians in the US on a regular basis.

How do we screen everyone?

I mean if someone see's a white person acting suspiciously they should say something obviously.

"I'd like to report some turrurrisstts"

"Okay ma'am what did they do"

"Thurr fone had Arabic on it"

"Is that it?

"Ya!"

"Ma'am get the fuck out of here"

That should have been the entire ordeal.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The decision to remove the three from the plane was not taken by that random passenger.

edit: The Iraq thing is from from http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ged-off-plane-fellow-passengers-a7204956.html which has some more background.

Pretty sure the person you were responding to was asking what were the siblings doing to make them seem suspicious in the first place.

How would the passenger that called the authorities have known that any of them had gone to Iraq in the first place?

So again, what did they do that was suspicious that caused someone to single them out to the authorities? I'm guessing it was just not being white.

And this is the same shit people try to pull whenever an unarmed black person is shot by the police. "Well, they had a criminal history!" ... But the police never took the time to identify the person in the first place, so what was really the reason for the intervention?

Guevara

What language do they speak/were they texting in?

What did the other passenger see or claim to see?

And why would you have a Quran app in a language you don't speak?

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
It's sad that it's come to this, but I'd rather have someone make an embarrassing mistake in reporting a possible attack than have an attack go through because someone didn't want to offend people's sensibilities.

This is BEYOND the realm of embarrassing or mistake. Call it what it is.

Falcs

Banned
Wait, so all the passengers had to wait sitting inside the damn plane for an hour before take off??
Fuck, I'd have been so pissed!

Condom

I have to show some sympathy towards the person who thought they were ISIS. Every normal person would be freaked out. Whenever I get on a train, for example, I try to sit as far away from people who look unusual, or I catch the next one. If I see a brown person with a beard and bag-pack, I see red flags everywhere, and I'm getting the hell out of there. Better to be safe than sorry. That's why I'm still alive. Props to this passenger who wasn't passive, and rightfully called out the suspicious looking people.

Stop the victim blaming. We regular people don't want to cause any trouble, we just want to get to our destination with peace of mind.
Do you even know how terrorists that do attacks in the west generally look like?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
How do we screen everyone?

I mean if someone see's a white person acting suspiciously they should say something obviously.

There is nothing wrong with investigating suspicious activity but the only thing that the 3 siblings did was that they were Muslims and brown. That is the issue. Can you tell me what did they do that made them suspicious?

Also, hindsight is 20 20. We can all talk about what could have been reported and what could have been done. But what do we gain from talking about all that? Should we report every single thing we see? I live in a country that's predominantly Chinese. I've read so many reports here and elsewhere about white male Americans mass murdering people. Is having an American foreigner moving into my apartment enough reason for me to call the police? After all, like the terrorists in those many incidents, a white, male American fits the profile of a typical mass murderer? Am I not being racist and xenophobic if I make a call to the police? Or would I be just doing my due rights as a citizen to report?

I don't think they even have such an app. It was because of some bullshit account of one unnamed passenger.

Betty

Banned
This is BEYOND the realm of embarrassing or mistake. Call it what it is.

Wasn't talking about this incident in that comment, clearly the person who complained was in the wrong.

I'm saying if someone does see something actually suspicious that they report it rather than worry about the fear of being labelled racist.

Too many awful things have happened because someone was afraid of being offensive.

Having a Quran app doesn't make you Muslim

You'd be surprised how many people read books of faith just to get some insight.... It's also a reason why athiests school people on their own religion sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom