• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three Muslim Siblings booted off plane because text on phone was in Arabic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

It sounds like we both agree but I think there was a miscommunication. If the poster had originally specified that "blacks have more to fear from cops logically speaking" I'd say sure, the statistics do seem to support that. The quote was more about "blacks have more to fear from whites" and no where specifically mentioned fear related to police. Police are a small fraction of the total population (less than half a percent) and do not seem to commit enough violence per capita to adjust the overall racial breakdown of violent crime. They might be scary, but that should not translate into a fear about whites in general (as you seem to agree).

Secondly I agree wholeheartedly that we need better data on police violence. Even the most careful statistical analysis to date (by Roland Fryer) was lacking in the generalizability of it's results -- specifically because we don't have this stuff nationalized.

People unfortunately have to worry about more than just violent crime. So specific race-on-race violent crime rates are a bit inadequate when trying to answer the question "Do minorities have more to fear from white people?"

giga

The fact that there are people in this very progressive forum defending this behaviour says everything. Too many white people don't understand how privileged they are to not be subject to constant profiling in everyday situations.

I should say you shouldn't blame the Airline, they are duty bound to report and investigate any passenger report of concern. Considering authorities tell everyone to be ever vigilant you also can't really blame the passengers that reported them.

Of course it's awful and sad but unfortunately it's now the world we live in.

I don't think the airline should be blame free, but I understand they might be legally required to respond this way if something like this is reported. The passengers though, I can and will absolutely blame them for being paranoid racists.

The fact that there are people in this very progressive forum defending this behaviour says everything. Too many white people don't understand how privileged they are to not be subject to constant profiling in everyday situations.

People are literally stating that it's okay to profile anyone brown because they are afraid of them "in context".

But nah that ain't racist at all.

giga

So knowing that the risk is there, albeit the chance is really low, i should ignore it?
And learn to discuss with out sending people you disagree with to "fuck off" that just show how little you can add to a conversation...

Are you a white male?

k6jrs56.jpg

Knowing the risk that you could be a rapist, albeit low, should we ignore it?

People defending this shit ITT are a fucking embarassment

Look guys, just say you want brown people to ride in the coloured section

Nepenthe

I'm reminded of previous threads on here of men being suspected as pedophiles in situations where they were sat near children on airplanes and the hurt that caused outrage and empathy (although I don't think anyone was kicked off the plane for this) and the infamous thread of a woman palming her drink and the outrage men felt over the thought that they could be considered potential rapists on the basis of their gender. I would love to see the overlap in men where they were personally on the receiving end of this kind of stereotyping and those who are fine with racial profiling because they're not the ones under fire.

Are you a white male?

k6jrs56.jpg

Knowing the risk that you could be a rapist, albeit low, should we ignore it?
sigh..
no offense man, but you and some of other users on this post are the reason I don't bother with social posting on gaf..
i'll let you have your idea on the matter and won't bother posting anymore.. clearly our views are different, and your argumentation are in my eyes debatable at best..
but thanks for the discussion nonetheless..

andthebeatgoeson

Really?

Go to the cloesest mosque, you'll get damn used to "scary languages I don't understand" and "cloth wrapped around the head".

What, you not live outside a bubble of people that all look like you?

Sorry to say, but most "actual racism" is going to be based in fear, misunderstanding, and ignorance. Doesn't not make it racist
Exactly. People have been conditioned to think racism looks a certain way. It comes in all forms.

There are 3 million Muslim people in the USA. We are creating a new Jim Crow. Separate but equal planes? Muslims are not being afforded equal opportunity to board and fly on the same plane as their peers. They are not afforded the same opportunity to practice their religion. Either they go into hiding or love in fear they will be disrupted in their travels. Do you know how inconvenient it is to miss your flight? Wait half a day at the airport? This is not right. And it's bigotry, plain and simple.

Bigotry against a small group is still unacceptable.

sigh..
no offense man, but you and some of other users on this post are the reason I don't bother with social posting on gaf..
i'll let you have your idea on the matter and won't bother posting anymore.. clearly our views are different, and your argumentation are in my eyes debatable at best..

No the reason you don't bother posting on social issues is because you don't like seeing your arguments destroyed right in front of you. It's funny how that post offended you so much, when all that user was doing was throwing you're own argument right back at you.

EDIT: Like seriously, how do you not see the hypocrisy? A poster making a joke about profiling you cause you're white is enough to make you rage quit the thread, but you saying actual profiling against Muslims is alright. Are you fucking serious?

I thought racial profiling being bad was a no-brainer. Guess I was wrong. Like any of us need to be inconvenienced any more at the airport in a post-9/11 world, let alone be embarrassed and treated like a second class citizen.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If it's profiling, it's shitty profiling.

Muslims are 1/5th of the planet. You'd barely have a better chance at catching a terrorist by assigning everyone a number from 1-6 and rolling a single dice.

Betty

Banned
People defending this shit ITT are a fucking embarassment

Look guys, just say you want brown people to ride in the coloured section

This situation of course was an error on the judgement of whoever complained.

But in no way should you or anyone else try to call people racists for being vigilant about terrorist attacks when our own government has said another one is imminent, that it's a question of when not if, and that we've been asked to stay vigilant and report anything we deem suspicious.

It's sad that it's come to this, but I'd rather have someone make an embarrassing mistake in reporting a possible attack than have an attack go through because someone didn't want to offend people's sensibilities.

I have to show some sympathy towards the person who thought they were ISIS. Every normal person would be freaked out. Whenever I get on a train, for example, I try to sit as far away from people who look unusual, or I catch the next one. If I see a brown person with a beard and bag-pack, I see red flags everywhere, and I'm getting the hell out of there. Better to be safe than sorry. That's why I'm still alive. Props to this passenger who wasn't passive, and rightfully called out the suspicious looking people.

Stop the victim blaming. We regular people don't want to cause any trouble, we just want to get to our destination with peace of mind.

But in no way should you or anyone else try to call people racists for being vigilant about terrorist attacks when our own government has said another one is imminent, that it's a question of when not if, and that we've been asked to stay vigilant and report anything we deem suspicious.

It's sad that it's come to this, but I'd rather have someone make an embarrassing mistake in reporting a possible attack than have an attack go through because someone didn't want to offend people's sensibilities.

No we'll call them what it is. They're fucking racists. Calling security because you saw a brown person reading a arabic text on a phone is not being vigilant. It's you being a racial profiling asshole.

I have to show some sympathy towards the person who thought they were ISIS. Every normal person would be freaked out. Whenever I get on a train, for example, I try to sit as far away from people who look unusual, or I catch the next one. If I see a brown person with a beard and bag-pack, I see red flags everywhere, and I'm getting the hell out of there. Better to be safe than sorry. That's why I'm still alive. Props to this passenger who wasn't passive, and rightfully called out the suspicious looking people.

Stop the victim blaming. We regular people don't want to cause any trouble, we just want to get to our destination with peace of mind.

Please tell me this is a fucking joke post?

Edit: judging from your posting history it probably is. Carry on.

What the fuck?

Nepenthe

But you're equating suspicious activity with being brown by dying on this hill in a thread were the only thing stopped was the immediacy of the flight because of cultural ignorance.

If you are okay with partaking in racial profiling on the level detailed by this story, at least have the backbone to call it what it is and that you will inevitably be contributing to the oppression of many different peoples based on a level of ignorance similar to what was displayed by the bigot in the story, versus being ironically outraged in a situation where you aren't really the victim. You have no logical grounds to object to being called racist and a bigot.

SystemBug

Nah I can see why people don't want to sit next to brown people. I never sit next to white men on the train because I never know when they will drone strike me. Or when they will come to my home and occupy it. Steal my money, or just straight up cause genocide.

AxelFoley

No the reason you don't bother posting on social issues is because you don't like seeing your arguments destroyed right in front of you. It's funny how that post offended you so much, when all that user was doing was throwing you're own argument right back at you.

EDIT: Like seriously, how do you not see the hypocrisy? A poster making a joke about profiling you cause you're white is enough to make you rage quit the thread, but you saying actual profiling against Muslims is alright. Are you fucking serious?

Ain't that some shit, tho?

Man I have Arab and Muslim friends from various countries: Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, and more. These micro elements that people spot I totally wouldn't think twice about. Arabic text on a phone? Who fucking cares, they speak the language. Hell I can say a few things. I wonder if they have muslim friends too? Man I just must not be vigilant, or are other people just crazy as shit.

I can't live like that, being hyper alarmed to all brown people engaging any aspect of their own culture.

orochi91

"We regular people"? How would you classify the people that were targeted in the OP?

What constitutes as "regular people"?

I imagine these siblings also don't want to cause any trouble, and just want to get to their destination with peace of mind.

The blatant dog-whistling in this thread is disgusting.

Murkas

Nah I can see why people don't want to sit next to brown people. I never sit next to white men on the train because I never know when they will drone strike me. Or when they will come to my home and occupy it. Steal my money, or just straight up cause genocide.

Don't forget fiddling your kids.

Have white people come out and condemned Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris yet?

Llyranor

Criteria for deeming a person suspicious:
- color of skin: brown? if yes, proceed
- language: Arabic? Who knows, but it looks like scribbles so it probably is
- behavior: You know, let's just drop the pretense, they're already suspicious in people's eyes

Hypron

This better be sarcasm because holy shit otherwise.

"Yeah I'm racist but it's not my fault, I'm a victim."

The fact that you call yourself and people like you victims when the real victims are those poor kids who had their holidays ruined is just disgusting.

Murkas

Completely reprehensible. Kinda glad the plane had to wait for them. Although, it is kinda weird that she has an app featuring verses from the Quran, seeing as she doesnt speal arabic and is Indian descent.

This may blow your mind but a lot of non Arabic speaking Muslims listen to the Quran in Arabic.

Betty

Banned
No we'll call them what it is. They're fucking racists. Calling security because you saw a brown person reading a arabic text on a phone is not being vigilant. It's you being a racial profiling asshole.

The neighbours of the San Bernardino shooters noticed that the couple was receiving packages and working at strange hours into the night.

But thanks to fear of being called racist they never reported it.

Had they, 14 people wouldn't be dead.

Now quite easily the couple could've been doing something completely innocuous and none of the things the neighbours saw pointed to terrorism explicitly.

But out of not wanting to offend an attack was allowed to happen.

So again, I'd rather people point out suspicious things and put up with being called racists and offending people than having an actual attack go through.

I wish it wasn't like this, but until the whole terrorism thing sort of calms down, that's the world we live in.

Deal with it.

giga

sigh..

I literally used your own argument against you. I'm glad you understand now what it's like to be profiled based on characteristics that you were born with.

orochi91

This better be sarcasm because holy shit otherwise.

"Yeah I'm racist but it's not my fault, I'm a victim."

The fact that you call yourself and people like you victims, when the real victims are those poor kids who had their holidays ruined is just disgusting.
+1

The racial profiling defense force ITT is pretty disgusting. Then again, it's also unsurprising as if these practices exist in the real world, it's because majorities don't see anything wrong about feeling safer at the detriment of minorities.

RS4-

Look, if some of you want all brown people to be banned from flying or segregated to special flights, just say so.

White flights: all business, on time, fastest planes.

Everyone else: FBI and Homeland background checks, seats worse than economy, no seatbelts, no food, no toilets. Plane flown by some operator halfway across the world.

The neighbours of the San Bernardino shooters noticed that the couple was receiving packages and working at strange hours into the night.

Now quite easily the couple could've been doing something completely innocuous and none of the things the neighbours saw pointed to terrorism explicitly.

So again, I'd rather people point out suspicious things and put up with being called racists and offending people than having an actual attack go through.

I wish it wasn't like this, but until the whole terrorism thing sort of calms down, that's the world we live in.

Deal with it.

Hey there are two brown guys talking about hookah and listening to Arabic music. THEY MUST BE ISIS TERRORISTS! Better safe than sorry and stuff.

Murkas

Deal with it.

What did the siblings do that was so suspicious?

Greek guy doing maths?

Arabic guy talking Arabic on the phone?

Other similar incidents?

Dickhead.

Deal with it.
Nah I'd rather you guys deal with other people like normal human beings. Shit your pants of fear and run out of the plane in panic. Now that I would be ok to deal with. Ruin your own flight/vacation not everyone else.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hey there are two brown guys talking about hookah and listening to Arabic music. THEY MUST BE ISIS TERRORISTS! Better safe than sorry and stuff.

We should ban all reading and talking everywhere since every language has been used to write hate speech. Now excuse me as I go learn Meowing 101 and Cat Body Language 101 just in case I get profiled the next time. Being a weird Nekomata-wannabe is still safe for planes taking right?

Can't just point a finger and accuse them for no other reason than you're afraid of Muslims and darker skinned people in general.

Let's flip it: Can I just point to a European and claim theyre a terrorist? A mass shooter? A right wing nut job about to kill us all?

If one accusation gets taken seriously but the other doesn't we need to figure out why that is. For you slow folks the answer is racism.

I can't say I'm surprised that my post is being perceived as a serious one when it's almost indistinguishable from other posts in this thread.

Hypron

I can't say I'm surprised that my post is being perceived as a serious one when it's almost indistinguishable from other posts in this thread.

My bad then, but yeah, there are other posts that say pretty much exactly the same thing so it's hard to know.

Nepenthe

What constitutes as "regular people"?

White people who are scared to death.

I go to college with many people of Middle Eastern origin and/or are of an Islamic background and I never once suspected that the art tote bags they were carrying were full of explosives. One such man is even in my network. Surprisingly enough I'm still alive. Guess I'm just lucky.

Edit: I'm a victim of Poe's Law once again. However I believe the point still stands.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The passenger who filed the false report should be booted from the plane, imo

The person should also be taken off the plane to assist with the investigation. Grill him or her to clarify things. After all we should investigate everything thoroughly.

Newt

Eh, the false flag guy probably should have got booted, but I'm fine with them investigating.

I'm a brown dude myself and I've never had any problems flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom