• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

time for a GAF upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
I don't know if this feature exists anywhere, but I've always wanted to see a spoiler option for topics.

I agree with this. For some reason, I get completely furious when the weekly "New God of War 2 video - Boss Fight against [insert baddie name]!!!!1"

I don't want to know who all the goddamn bosses and stages are before I buy a game.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
The reality is that many threads contain animated gif images that
a) play automatically and
b) have a disproportionate file size compared to flash video

Also, threads that are started with only a youtube link in the OP are plentyful so I got to wonder what the difference to the status quo in terms of obnoxiousness in a moderated gaf reality would be.

Thumbnails that open the video in a separated window could be good. No idea if that's possible.

aku:jiki said:
Hey, I get that. But I don't see how YouTube-links are worse than the screenshot threads in the gaming forum (with the one million by a zillion-sized screens, times 50) or any thread with GIF animations or random pics in the OT (which is pretty much every thread). It'd just be more of the same and wouldn't really affect the minimalistic streamlining much.
I agree.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I gotta say, when I clicked on this thread, I saw the OPs tag...and then I read the post...then I hoped and hoped that the mods in their ultimate wisdom made the link in the tag come back to the original post in this thread.

:lol

(Sorry original poster guy :/ )

Diablos

For smaller communities, what you suggested isn't a bad idea... but for a forum this big, no way. Every two posts would be a youtube vid or flash applet.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
This forum needs embedded audio clips, up to 8 line signatures with images, and lots, lots more smileys. At least five variations on the rolling eyes smiley. Also, no waiting between creating posts.

Gowans

I guess one thing I forgot is sound too, even though we get animated Gif's they dont have any sound banging into our ears.

nice to see its not a Black & White issue.

Triumph

Banned
The only real upgrade I'd get behind is deleting the gaming side, then banning people who tried to start gaming threads in my OT. Think of it like a "Final Solution", but for nerds.

...I'll settle for nuking the Blu-ray/HD-DVD threads, tho.

There is this feature on a forum I'm registered at where they have these widgets on the right side of the window; one of these is a Who Quoted Me feature which essentially shows whose responded to a quote from you, what thread it was, and how long ago they quoted you. It's very useful for discussions. Wish more forums had this

quote-1.jpg

The Shape

Banned
Seth C said:
I'd like the ability to preview the thread on mouseover. A lot of forums have that now, and it would save a lot of time for me, not having to click stupid threads to see what they are about, and probably a lot of bandwidth for the server because of less threads having to load.
+1

Also mutli quote.

DoomGyver

I would like a quick reply, multi quote, a facelift (maybe vb upgrade?)

And I would like a post that quoted me to be highlighted, and also highlight my posts so it's easier to pick back up where you left off reading.

Junior status should be 60 days and no post count, and their posts background should be safety yellow like those warning stripes they put on drivers ed cars:lol

The Shape

Banned
gdt5016 said:
We can multiquote. Just add more Quote tags;
Wrong mechanics mang, we mean muti qoute as in select more then one post for quoting.

And I would like a post that quoted me to be highlighted, and also highlight my posts so it's easier to pick back up where you left off reading

Or simply have the "Message originally posted by" text link to your originally quoted post.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
gdt5016 said:
We can multiquote. Just add more Quote tags;

I hate mousing-over-previews.

I can really dig the Who Quoted You feature.
I agree with this man. Fuck the mouse-over-preview. in it's ass. :|

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If you're going to bump a 2 year old thread, at least do one that wasn't created by Gowans.

bjork

Tieno said:
It'd be better and less bandwidth than gifs.

So ban gifs over a certain filesize. I'm sure we can all live without the witty yet totally run-into-the-ground Star Trek gifs that are like 7mb for a one-frame punchline.

bill0527

I could care less about more features for the forum.

I'm just living for the day when the 500 server errors go away forever. I've been getting those going on 3 years now on this forum.

Meier

Seth C said:
I'd like the ability to preview the thread on mouseover. A lot of forums have that now, and it would save a lot of time for me, not having to click stupid threads to see what they are about, and probably a lot of bandwidth for the server because of less threads having to load.
Thread preview has definitely been long overdo. Ckohler fixed my other longstanding wish with his mobile site.

Lots of people said no but gave no reasons why.

Too much power to the user.

Every poster on the board would get played off by keyboard cat.

As someone mentioned above, how is this different from posting a pic?

Fox318

I would actually like Flash Video embed... At least for the first poster...

Then again, I'm sure I can just play around with greasemonkey...

The only thing I would really change is firstly Dont make everything so damn white.
This is worse than staring into the sun.
Second Make everything more easier to navigate.
If they Made it more like IGNS boards it would be perfect.

The last thing I'd want is to have Firefox crash because of 10 iterations of 'How is babby formed?' and 30 '2 Girls 1 Cup.'

Yea.. no thanks.

The forum can barely handle the volume of posting that already happens on it. What makes you think that more intensive features would help the situation?

Ceres

Banned
Ghost said:
Dont see how its any worse than pictures, at least youtube & google video are fixed resolution and you can choose whether or not to play them.

The videos cause anything blocking streaming media to go nuts if your work has anything like that in place. My last job had a really strict filter and I used to get the warning anytime I had to visit a website that would embed youtube videos. Which was pretty annoying when the website was actually work related. I prefer the greasemonkey fix which I use at home.

skybaby

WickedAngel said:
The forum can barely handle the volume of posting that already happens on it. What makes you think that more intensive features would help the situation?
Seriously, who quote me? that would bring the server down instantly :lol

Yeah...
More features, while nice, would only increase server load.

The poor server is already quaking in its tube socks, adding stuff about who quotes who would probably take up more bandwidth or make PHP slower.

Fakto

Flash video ? NO !

But, what abaut adding PHP Skins to this forum ? NeoGAF Black / Pink / Silver
Or just change the icons of the main forums !

forum_new_lock.gif

active_gaf.png

forum_old_lock.gif

deactive_gaf.png

And with NO cost at the performance.

bjork said:
So ban gifs over a certain filesize. I'm sure we can all live without the witty yet totally run-into-the-ground Star Trek gifs that are like 7mb for a one-frame punchline.

=( gifs are the only reason I browse sales threads.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Leonsito said:
Oh, and bring back the disabled img tags in quotes, I don't know why that was changed.

Oh my God, yes, PLEASE. I get so sick of reading threads where someone quotes a post with twenty images, only to reply "Nice!" or whatever. EDIT THAT GARBAGE OUT.

bjork

TheRagnCajun said:
=( gifs are the only reason I browse sales threads.

You're feeding the beast. Both sales-age and gif-age.

Cosmic Bus said:
Oh my God, yes, PLEASE. I get so sick of reading threads where someone quotes a post with twenty images, only to reply "Nice!" or whatever. EDIT THAT GARBAGE OUT.

Thirded.

Firestorm

Triumph said:
The only real upgrade I'd get behind is deleting the gaming side, then banning people who tried to start gaming threads in my OT. Think of it like a "Final Solution", but for nerds.

...I'll settle for nuking the Blu-ray/HD-DVD threads, tho.
(neutral) Triumph
Banned
(02-13-2007, 06:00 PM)
Reply | Quote

teehee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom