• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

They could reduce the chances of Crash Site and Complex appearing in the rotation. But no. It's Glitch the one that gets straight up taken out. Always Glitch. WTF.

I can only speak for myself but I love having Crash Site and Complex shoved down my throat.

E92 M3

Downing people with SMGs from mid to long-ish ranges while hip firing should not be a thing lol I dont mind them keeping their values close range but I have issue when they begin overlapping with ARs while, again, hip firing.

Hipfire definitely needs to be prominent. It's what makes the movement so much fun.

Dez_

Still having a lot of fun with this game. My only real issue right now is the map rotation. Glitch pretty much never shows up at all. It came up once in PvP and that's it. Been running around Relic a good amount, which I still find to be really fun to traverse around, but man I would like to see a bit more weight placed on the newer maps, because it sure feels like they never show up.
Well, that's not entirely true. Angel City shows up a good amount. Colony and Glitch though...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd be down for Titanfall 3 to just be TITAN

with Titans only. Titan Brawl has just reinforced how much I prefer playing in the Titan than playing the pilot.

Izuna

Banned
Hmm... Titan Brawl is fun but I swear it has some imbalances. I'll play more later.

Still not played Glitch because you know, silliness.

Monarch is... Well, I'm not too sure, I don't think it's a great Titan for soloQ in that survivability isn't helping. Ofc I managed to get MVP and won but I felt somewhat Regardless, very fun Titan. I like it.

Izuna

Banned
GGs!

That was fun. I gotta iron out the performance somehow before the next sesh however.

Respawn, will you ever fix Titanfall 2 ignoring colour profiles?

edit: still not played Glitch or Relic tho

I'd be down for Titanfall 3 to just be TITAN

with Titans only. Titan Brawl has just reinforced how much I prefer playing in the Titan than playing the pilot.

I only play pilot-only modes at this point. The skill ceiling is so much higher on foot. Every time I get in a titan I just feel like I'm playing a much simpler game and I get instantly bored.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My recipe for success
maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLpKroZ0m_g

lol Monarch's Maelstrom tears through Bounty Hunt Titans, stay close and corner them just to let the smokes fall out and you gain the upgrade core so fast that you can simply spam it and get more smokes to repeat the cycle.

They fall down in seconds after spawning

Arrrammis

whats everyones opinion on monarch?
and good builds?
Monarch starts out as an ok titan and becomes extremely powerful as it build up more cores.

Personally I use overcore, the battery theif execution, arc rounds, maelstrom (electric smoke), and the last XO-16 upgrade. One clip is enough to bring an ogre chassis Titan down to 1-2 bars of hp depending on how much you hit the criteria point.

bigJP

ya, just started messing around with monarch. had no idea what the laser thing was for at first.
pretty fun to use, especially after upgrade core. still scorch is my main

Went digging through reddit in hopes of finding more upcoming changes

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/...e_incoming_major_balancing/digy0ca/?context=3
The "tactical_balance" modifier, which I'm presuming/hoping will be applied alongside low_ttk, will address this:

Phase Shift gets only 1 charge, longer by .5 sec, 12.5 sec cooldown
Grappling hooks' total cooldown extended to ~40 seconds from ~33 seconds
Stim's effectiveness (speed boost and speed of healing) is 80% its normal effectiveness

...I should add those to the OP.

Glad Phase Shift is receiving attention. Not sure about the cooldown. Should probably be longer as most will likely run with Tactikill and Power Cell.

Not liking the other two adjustments for Stim and Hook. They're not really problematic as neither provide invulnerability. We'll see, I guess.

What are your thoughts on the Ion nerf? Switched back to her recently, and I feel like she got neutered as hell. I know she out-DPSed most other titans before, but now it feels like I can barely make a dent.

Did they do something to the Flatline? I had outright stopped using it because the spread was so inconsistent but logged on today for the first time in a while and was destroying face with it. Felt a lot more stable. Might just be placebo, not sure.

Arrrammis

What are your thoughts on the Ion nerf? Switched back to her recently, and I feel like she got neutered as hell. I know she out-DPSed most other titans before, but now it feels like I can barely make a dent.

I think it was much needed, and they didn't overnerf much at all. The laser core didn't need to be touched IMO, but it's still strong enough. Laser shot being nerfed so that you can't double tap is great, But there needs to be something more about it changed so that an Ion cannot outsnipe a Northstar at cross-map ranges (I know it has a max range, but Homestead is the only map where you really encounter that). The kind of unintended nerf I guess is the addition of Monarch, those arc rounds burn down your vortex shield super fast.

Did they do something to the Flatline? I had outright stopped using it because the spread was so inconsistent but logged on today for the first time in a while and was destroying face with it. Felt a lot more stable. Might just be placebo, not sure.

They actually nerfed it (just the raw damage, went from a 3-body-shot kill to a 4-body-shot kill), so i'ts probably placebo. I feel like most weapons in this game are like that, once you learn the recoil and feel of a gun you can destroy with it.

IIRC the damage reduction to the Laser Shot and Core aren't that significant? The Laser Shot costing more energy is the biggest change, but I haven't played Ion since the update. I mostly used the Splitter Rifles alternate fire.

I noticed something since the patch. The damage has been nerfed but I feel its more tamed compared to prepatch. I dont know. I would need to spend more time with it than the brief pick up I had in a match.

I think it was much needed, and they didn't overnerf much at all. The laser core didn't need to be touched IMO, but it's still strong enough. Laser shot being nerfed so that you can't double tap is great, But there needs to be something more about it changed so that an Ion cannot outsnipe a Northstar at cross-map ranges (I know it has a max range, but Homestead is the only map where you really encounter that). The kind of unintended nerf I guess is the addition of Monarch, those arc rounds burn down your vortex shield super fast.

They actually nerfed it (just the raw damage, went from a 3-body-shot kill to a 4-body-shot kill), so i'ts probably placebo. I feel like most weapons in this game are like that, once you learn the recoil and feel of a gun you can destroy with it.

Honestly, I hadn't even noticed they nerfed the damage. Still feels fine at any rate.

JaMarco

Went digging through reddit in hopes of finding more upcoming changes

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/...e_incoming_major_balancing/digy0ca/?context=3

Glad Phase Shift is receiving attention. Not sure about the cooldown. Should probably be longer as most will likely run with Tactikill and Power Cell.

Not liking the other two adjustments for Stim and Hook. They're not really problematic as neither provide invulnerability. We'll see, I guess.
But no AholeWall nerf? :/

I've been gone from the game for a while so I actually didn't know about the double tap.

IIRC the damage reduction to the Laser Shot and Core aren't that significant? The Laser Shot costing more energy is the biggest change, but I haven't played Ion since the update. I mostly used the Splitter Rifles alternate fire.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about the damage adjustments. I'm going based on feel, and it's probably just that people have gotten better and I got worse.

So no one has any audio issues? Muffled? Drops? I haven't changed any of the ingame settings and my gear works fine with other games and sources.

Arrrammis

So no one has any audio issues? Muffled? Drops? I haven't changed any of the ingame settings and my gear works fine with other games and sources.

The only audio bug I encounter is every once in a while (maybe 10-20 games) I hear a kind of electric buzzing that keeps getting louder until I open the PS4 menu (minimizing the game basically), then when I resume the game it's fixed. It's really weird.

The only audio bug I encounter is every once in a while (maybe 10-20 games) I hear a kind of electric buzzing that keeps getting louder until I open the PS4 menu (minimizing the game basically), then when I resume the game it's fixed. It's really weird.

And it only happens with Titanfall? That is weird.

Arrrammis

Can someone please explain why Respawn would want to nerf a bunch of things and make their game less fun?

Because the things that were nerfed had been making the game less fun for everyone who didn't use them. i.e. because they needed to be nerfed.

IMO Respawn is way better about this than other devs, Respawn makes small, precise, constant changes instead of huge sweeping nerfs that would ruin a game.
Looking at you Bungie.

Ion is still S-tier, she's just not as far ahead of the pack as she used to be.

The issue was that her DPS output was so high, that the intended trade-off between using your energy for attacking (laser-shot, alt-fire) or defending (vortex shield, trip-mine) rarely came to pass... most other Titans simply couldn't put out the DPS she could, at all the ranges she could.

You could always out DPS your troubles in any 1v1, and in most 2v1s.

Now you actually do have to watch your positioning and keep note of your energy pool, because essentially any use of defensive abilities will rob you of your laser shot for a bit of time. Zero-Point trip-wire is my new must-use over Grand Cannon now.

Still sad they nerfed her though, I'd been using her as a main since day 1.

Monarch is fun. I wish they let you save multiple configurations though. I have one glass-cannon config that's just maximum DPS, and another for max survivability. Pain in the ass to swap between them mid-match right now.

E92 M3

Because the things that were nerfed had been making the game less fun for everyone who didn't use them. i.e. because they needed to be nerfed.

IMO Respawn is way better about this than other devs, Respawn makes small, precise, constant changes instead of huge sweeping nerfs that would ruin a game.
Looking at you Bungie.

Ugh...Bungie nerfs lol. I don't even use phase shift, but nerfing it makes it less fun for the people that do. People want to feel powerful, not balanced.

In the long run, people don't think back fondly to games that were "balanced", they think about games that were fun or crazy.

Keep the game crazy, we have enough shooters chasing the e-sport scene. I still miss MW2 and there are millions like me.

I gave a talk on Rodeo at GDC this year, and it's now freely available for viewing:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024094/The-Evolution-of-Rodeo-in

If you wonder how game mechanics are made I think it might be interesting viewing. :)

Will watch, thanks!

Ugh...Bungie nerfs lol. I don't even use phase shift, but nerfing it makes it less fun for the people that do. People want to feel powerful, not balanced.

In the long run, people don't think back fondly to games that were "balanced", they think about games that were fun or crazy.

Keep the game crazy, we have enough shooters chasing the e-sport scene. I still miss MW2 and there are millions like me.

Will watch, thanks!

You can make a multiplayer game that allows players to FEEL powerful without actually making them more powerful than the opponent.

Because that opponent is a player themselves, and by extension, will be made to feel weak at the expense of those same 'powerful' broken mechanics.

You want every player to feel like they can win if they are good and smart enough. Not a game where people shrug their shoulders and are like 'well, he was using X, so obviously he was going to win that engagement'.

E92 M3

You can make a multiplayer game that allows players to FEEL powerful without actually making them more powerful than the opponent.

Because that opponent is a player themselves, and by extension, will be made to feel weak at the expense of those same 'powerful' broken mechanics.

You want every player to feel like they can win if they are good and smart enough. Not a game where people shrug their shoulders and are like 'well, he was using X, so obviously he was going to win that engagement'.

In theory, we all want that, but in reality, some skills/guns will be shit while others reign supreme. Currently, I can easily play solo and still dominate doing my own thing. Sure it sucks getting killed by G2 and stuff, but it's whatever. The dude using it is having fun.

In theory, we all want that, but in reality, some skills/guns will be shit while others reign supreme. Currently, I can easily play solo and still dominate doing my own thing. Sure it sucks getting killed by G2 and stuff, but it's whatever. The dude using it is having fun.

That's true, though I don't think it needs to reach the extremes of shit or reigning supreme. I think you can balance a game such that there's a relatively narrow range of efficacy, but with sufficient playstyle variety. Some weapons will invariably prove better or more versatile than others based on the game mechanics, map design, etc. But you can narrow the gap.

I do think that some developers run into trouble when they start tuning their game balance according the absolute top of the userbase pyramid, ie the competitive level, rather than looking at the usage and success rate of the full audience. I understand concerns about that, but I don't think it's a problem for Respawn given there's barely any competitive scene for TF2.

I gave a talk on Rodeo at GDC this year, and it's now freely available for viewing:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024094/The-Evolution-of-Rodeo-in

If you wonder how game mechanics are made I think it might be interesting viewing. :)

Good talk! Im glad the chiclet and dome shield mechanics never made it in :p

Came across Carlos Pineda's talk. He's a jif man. Give him a promotion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFqrI11xTc

Also, bring in the Arc Ball and Quad Rockets! Creating a new Titan with the Arc Ball as a defense ability (like Monarch's smoke) would likely work. Just saying :D

Top Bottom