• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady beats NFL in 'Deflategate' court case, league's 4-game suspension nullified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wait so how does a court get to overturn something the nfl did?

Both the NFL and the union agreed to going through the courts to reach a settlement. The union believed Brady's suspension was against the collective bargaining agreement the NFL and players were under, and going through the courts was a way to prevent a strike, lockout, or lawsuit.

Power Grab. Show the players and owners that the NFL can punish any team, any player, at any time without any evidence. If Goodell had won, it would have set a terrible precedent.

Tom Brady is the hero the league deserves. Protecting us from the dictator Goodell by fighting the power and helping to make the league a more transparent, fair business.

If everybody was like Tom, the world would be a better and handsomer place.

Faddy

Banned
Because the NFL was sued for not following a contract they agreed to.

The NFL in this case actually filed the case to the court for affirmation. They were preempting an appeal by Brady/NFLPA so they could hand pick a court that they assumes would favor the NFL.

Goodell took this to court not Brady.

ParityBit

I love the fact that the Patriots were going to raise a Tom Brady banner if he was not there on opening day.

I would say we should storm the castle to get Goodell, but the pansy fuck won't be at the game.

p2535748

The NFL recently lost to a guy who was caught on tape knocking out his fiancee. If you can't win that case, maybe it's time to rethink who your leaders are.

They lost that case because, again, they were idiots and lied about it. Ray Rice is an asshole and deserves a huge punishment, but they punished him once, got crushed for it from the public, and tried to redo the punishment by lying about what they knew.

I don't know why, after the Rice thing, anyone would believe anything the league says. They were called liars by a federal judge. Everyone knows they lied about the tape and what Rice said during his interview. We all ignored it because Ray Rice is a horrible human being, but that whole thing really exposed how duplicitous and arrogant the league office is.

ParityBit

People who are wondering about Jastremski and McNally. Once again, it is the league withholding/changing/falsifying information to paint their own picture.

This is from Johnathan Kraft on John Jastremski and Jim McNally's potential reinstatement: ...

"The way the discipline was set up by the league, the team and the employees that aren't players are not covered by collective bargaining. The team, and they were direct employees of the team, part of the discipline of the league was applying and getting permission from the league to reinstate them, and that's something I'm sure we'll be talking about."

KHarvey16

The NFL in this case actually filed the case to the court for affirmation. They were preempting an appeal by Brady/NFLPA so they could hand pick a court that they assumes would favor the NFL.

Goodell took this to court not Brady.

I believe they both filed, the NFL in NY and the NFLPA elsewhere (Minnesota maybe?). NFL filed first so the case was handed over to Berman.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Why did Goodell even go overboard with the punishment here?

Was it to appease the bloodthirst of the fan and media hate machine in an attempt to make himself look good?

Instead of squashing the ridiculous media blowout on deflate gate he made it seem a bigger deal by increasing the penalties.

Troy

Banned

Was it to appease the bloodthirst of the fan and media hate machine in an attempt to make himself look good?

Instead of squashing the ridiculous media blowout on deflate gate he made it seem a bigger deal by increasing the penalties.

Most likely was a response to the wishes of other owners. The NFL doesn't do anything because the media or fans want it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Combination of a power grab and trying to deflect the media off all the domestic violence cases he screwed up.

This opinion is hilarious to me. The NFL has way more money and lawyers than the NFLPA, they chose the venue for the case to be heard in, and they still lost badly. So, explain to me how they lost if they had good lawyers. They should be able to get away with anything, right?

And before you think that this is about a burden of proof or anything, or that Brady skated simply because the NFL failed to prove its case, the deck in this case was very much stacked against Brady. His side had to prove that the process violated labor laws, his side had to get a federal judge to overturn arbitration, something which happens exceedingly rarely. The NFL's side was just asking the judge to stay out of it, which is usually what judges do.

The judge even says that he's assuming that the NFL's version of what happened is true (not necessarily because he believes that, but because it's what the law requires him to do). So basically, even if Brady did what they accuse him of, the punishment and appeal process were so badly run as to be against federal labor practices. Hell, he even ignores like half of the NFLPA's argument because he doesn't need it to overturn the case (seriously, he says basically "since these three things are enough to overturn, I'm not even going to discuss these other three things").

Brady didn't get off on a technicality, he got off because the NFL was found to be fundamentally unfair in how it handled the case. That's not some minor thing, and to pretend that this is a case of some guy beating a rap because his lawyer figured out a clever end around the justice system is ignorant and foolish. Is Brady's lawyer good? Of course, but it's fairly clear from the judgement that this wasn't about the quality of his lawyer, but about how badly the NFL has handled itself.

Whether you hate Brady or not, whether he cheated or not, doesn't really matter here. What matters is that a massively arrogant league office run by a guy who fashions himself a dictator with unlimited power got crushed by a federal judge. Frankly, most NFL fans should be happy with that, because maybe next time (and there will be a next time for someone else) the league will be a little more careful in how it metes out justice.

Bravo.

Reading through this thread, you'd think Brady was a Batman villain with a crooked mob lawyer from Gotham who weasels his way around comeuppance. Nonsense.

This is coming from a Jets fan, by the way. The decision here was the correct one. Goodell is not above the law.

Jonathan Kraft said yesterday that if the Brady suspension wasn't dropped, that they were going to surprise unveil a TB12 / Super Bowl MVP banner instead of the Super Bowl banner in the first game.

If I were at that game, I would fucking lose it in excitement, just throw my beer on the ground and scream for like 10 minutes. It would have ended the world

Aside from him being incapable of taking the temperature of fans, I think part of it was to seem tough on the Patriots, which many owners (and fans) have felt that Goodell is Kraft's chosen boy (he was). Kraft was a strong advocate for Goodell taking over the post when Tagliabu retired, Kraft ended the last lockout in 2011 and got the NFLPA and Goodell to come to an agreement, and Kraft and Goodell are always seen as bosom buddies. I think the harshest punishment in league history on an organization and the harshest punishment on the organizations franchise player were attempts by him to show how the NFL's darling owner does not get special treatment from him. He might have won some buddies throughout the league on this, but he's making friends with the wrong owners and it's going to bite him... The timer on Goodell's tenure as commissioner is ticking a lot faster now.

Lenardo

Banned
I'm a patriots fan.

i've read the wells report,
i've skimmed the decision by berman

what most people ignore is a few facts.

first off the wells report- walt anderson- the head Ref for the game - said he used the logo'd gauge to measure at halftime.

of the 11 balls tested almost(9 of 11) all of them fell within the predicted range the ideal gas law said the pressure drop would be. the other 2 were close.

the Scientific consultant hired by well's firm for the testing of footballs, in the wells report said that they could not with any confidence testify that the patriot balls had any air removed in any way besides the pressure drop which would occur during the game due to the wet conditions and the cold temperature.

the wells report- ignores anderson's testimony and says that the other gauge is what he used, not the one he says he used, and ignores exponents report/testimony that said that it was quite possible that the patriots did nothing to the balls besides report them in at the pregame for testing @12.5psi and that all pressure drops that occured in the balls were the result of natural conditions. (i mean seriously we are talking about MAYBE 1 pump of a -good- bicycle pump here difference between legal and what the balls were at halftime)

then for this appeal of the appeal, the NFL delibrately withheld evidence submitted for the report and withheld witnesses that brady wanted to question,,,,said witness being a co-author/editor of the report AND the main attorney for the NFL for the process.

i do not know about you, but you work for the nfl, you are in charge of proving the patriots did something to the balls, you are also a cowriter/editor of the report that is to prove or disprove that the patriots did something to the balls.,...can we say with any confidence that the writer/editor of the report would have a BIAS instead of being impartial?

Berman got this right due to brady not getting a fair arbitration hearing for his appeal.

jbug617

Banned
Brady made his first statement on the matter.
COGsb6pWEAQuYBP.png

How amazing would that have been if Brady had gone full on FMT at the end of that statement. "And to commissioner goodell. Suck it biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

He got off because his name is Brady. Don't wanna here about the flawed process bullshit. The PATRIOTS are still fucking arrogant cheaters and they'll get what they deserve this year.

KHarvey16

The One and Done™;177676178 said:
He got off because his name is Brady. Don't wanna here about the flawed process bullshit. The PATRIOTS are still fucking arrogant cheaters and they'll get what they deserve this year.

The federal judge vacated the suspension because his name is Brady? What the hell are you talking about?

The delusions from you people get more desperate and sad every day.

Troy

Banned
The One and Done™;177676178 said:

Another Super Bowl win? Awesome!

chadskin

Patriots owner, ‘Deflategate’ judge mingle at party
Patriots owner Robert Kraft mingled with Judge Richard Berman, who overturned the NFL suspension of Tom Brady over his alleged role in Deflategate, at a Hamptons Labor Day party full of media and business power brokers.

Kraft was chatting with Berman at Discovery Communications chief David Zaslav and his wife Pam’s party at their East Hampton estate, also attended by Oprah Winfrey, Martha Stewart, Harvey Weinstein, Lloyd Blankfeinrich, NY Giants co-owner Jon Tisch and wife Lizzie, Katie Couric, and Hilaria and Alec Baldwin.

Brady won the court battle Thursday, when Berman bashed NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for “dispensing his own brand of industrial justice.” The ruling clears Brady to play in Thursday’s season opener.

A rep for the Patriots told Page Six, “It was a chance encounter at a social event with hundreds of guests. There was a brief introduction and an exchange of pleasantries that lasted no more than a couple of minutes.”
http://pagesix.com/2015/09/06/robert-kraft-deflategate-judge-chat-at-hamptons-media-party/

A chance encounter. Uh-huh. Sure.

Somewhat dubious on this so I was reluctant to make a new thread:

NFL Source: Tom Brady Will Serve a Four-Game Suspension at Some Point This Season

Yahoo said:
We don't know how much stock we put into this, but during the New York-based radio show Boomer and Carton this morning, host Craig Carton dropped a bit of a bombshell with regards to the never-ending Deflategate scandal. According to him, he spoke with a "very influential person in the NFL" on Thursday who told him that the league is still pushing hard for Tom Brady to serve a four-game suspension at some point this season. If you remember, the league has appealed the ruling that a judge handed down earlier this month nullifying the suspension, and they are now trying to expedite that appeal so that Brady will be forced to miss some games.

The NFL source told Carton that there is "no doubt in his mind" that the appeal will be finalized sometime between now and the end of the season.

Carton's co-host Boomer Esiason downplayed everything that the source said.

"I don't buy it," he said. "I know they want to expedite an appeal, but there's so many other things on the docket at these courts. Is this really that important to somebody?"

I wish that somebody would name the person who is constantly leaking these false, unprovable, pro-NFL, anti-Brady/Patriots stories. They've been wrong every possible time there's been a leak:

• 11 out of 12 balls deflated by 2PSI (False, Leaked to Mortensen)
  • Patriots tried to introduce an under-inflated kicking ball (False, reported by PFT and then retracted)
  • Brady to accept punishment pre-appeal (False, Mort)
  • Brady to admit wrong doing and accept a shortened suspension during appeal (false)
  • Brady to admit deflating balls and accept suspension during appeal (false)
  • "very influencial person in the NFL" says Brady will serve 4 game suspension. (To be seen, likely false)
  • "No doubt in his mind" that Brady will serve a suspension (To be seen, likely false)

It's either the same person or the NFL is an embarrassment. Or both.

Troy

Banned
"NFL Source" has the same humor associated with it as "Florida Man".

From Florio:
In this case, a decision overturning Judge Berman’s ruling likely would send the case back to him for further proceedings. At that point, he’d likely consider various unresolved questions regarding Commissioner Roger Goodell’s fitness to serve as the arbitrator of the case, and Judge Berman most likely would allow Brady to keep playing while that aspect of the case is resolved.

If Carton’s report is accurate (and I’ve got no reason to doubt him), it shows that the NFL’s assessment of the case remains skewed to the point of delusional. As a practical matter, there’s no way Brady will serve a suspension this year unless the Patriots have the No. 1 seed in the AFC clinched by December and the Patriots persuade Brady to broker a settlement that reduces the suspension to two games in which he wouldn’t be playing anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom