• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady suspended for 4 games; Patriots lose first-round draft pick; fined $1 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al Davis took the league to court and nothing happened other than him winning.

I thought I read that after Al Davis kicked the league's ass in the 70s and 80s that the owners agreed to handle issues with the league without litigation, and there hasn't been court litigation since.

*edit*

It's mentioned here that it's against the NFL bylaws to take the NFL to court if you're an owner, but I dunno which one or what it means

Draxal

I thought I read that after Al Davis kicked the league's ass in the 70s and 80s that the owners agreed to handle issues with the league without litigation, and there hasn't been court litigation since.

He's sued multiples before he passed away. Good old crazy Al. Others owners don't sue because it's bad for business.

Quotient

He's sued multiples before he passed away. Good old crazy Al. Others owners don't sue because it's bad for business.

Agreed. If Kraft took the league to court, it would drag on potentially for the whole year and into the regular season, it would be a big distraction for both the NFL, other teams and especially the Patriots.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sounds like the rest of the owners club fuck you Kraft and the Pats, and that Kraft had 0 support amongst his "friends" aka other owners.

Sounds like the rest of the owners club fuck you Kraft and the Pats, and that Kraft had 0 support amongst his "friends" aka other owners.

Kraft was stupid. How in his right mind he thought that Goodell unilaterally made a decision like this without the backing of the 31 other owners is mindblowing.

Kraft was stupid. How in his right mind he thought that Goodell unilaterally made a decision like this without the backing of the 31 other owners is mindblowing.

Why would they support Kraft anyway? All the polls have shown that everyone thinks the Pats are guilty (minus people in New England). These are their paying customers, they aren't going to do anything to alienate them when they don't have to.

Quotient

Why would they support Kraft anyway? All the polls have shown that everyone thinks the Pats are guilty (minus people in New England). These are their paying customers, they aren't going to do anything to alienate them when they don't have to.

As an added benefit they got Brady off the field for 4 weeks and weakened the Pats with the draft picks. A winning move for everyone (but the Patriots).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
o1MAqk3.jpg

oops. Tree fell

Such epic cringe

Goddell won't win any of this in the long term. If he went at the Patriots with minor fines and then changed the rules this would have went away.

Yet, once again.. he makes himself the story with a ridiculous penalty.

I hope the Patriots and Brady roast him. This whole debate over slightly under pressured balls is so pointless.

LOL! Pats fans keep losing.

Your team had nothing. Nada. Zilch. You were caught cheating and then caught lying. Spin some facts about "deflator" referring to weight loss, because we're all a bunch of knuckleheads who will fall for that. Make yourself out to look like a victim. Flame the persecution complex that all Patriots fans embrace and live by.

And then your spineless owner went full bluster mode and acted all tough, only to chicken out like a sniveling turd. Guess we didn't want all those records coming out after all, huh? Mr. Kraft, you owe us all an apology.

TL;DR - Fuck the Patriots.

jWILL253

Banned
I'm gonna make a bold prediction here: While Kraft holds his L, Brady will go full retard. Goodell will uphold the suspension, and Brady will take it to court, disputing the process of the investigation itself. Brady's full text transcripts will become public record, which will show further evidence of cheating from Brady. To which, Goodell, being the reactionary fool that he is, will react to by increasing Brady's suspension to 6-8 games.

Clearos

I think Kraft did the right thing (taking into consideration I don't know all the facts guilty or not)

Accept the patriot penalties, hopefully reduces Brady's suspension to No/1/2 games depending on the appeal process and just play with the win now mentality. I think Brady has 2-3 more ring runs in the tank.

Your team had nothing. Nada. Zilch. You were caught cheating and then caught lying. Spin some facts about "deflator" referring to weight loss, because we're all a bunch of knuckleheads who will fall for that. Make yourself out to look like a victim. Flame the persecution complex that all Patriots fans embrace and live by.

Every time I see someone emphasize the stupid "deflator" thing, I can't help but think they didn't actually read the reports. It's all just rehashing whatever headlines the media wants to come up with. Even with that, I think it's really tough to say there's absolutely nothing behind the Patriots' rebuttal statements. It's still unbelievable to me that the Wells report took that long to compile and had such shaky arguments in the end.

jWILL253

Banned
If you put faith in the Patriots' official rebuttal of the Wells Report, you're a damn idiot, plain and simple.

And I refuse to believe anyone on this board is THAT much of a mouth-breather.

Quotient

If you put faith in the Patriots' official rebuttal of the Wells Report, you're a damn idiot, plain and simple.

And you would put all your faith in a report written by the NFL's lawyers? I'm sure their is a middle-ground between the 2 reports.

Also, what is a mouth-breather?

Every time I see someone emphasize the stupid "deflator" thing, I can't help but think they didn't actually read the reports. It's all just rehashing whatever headlines the media wants to come up with. Even with that, I think it's really tough to say there's absolutely nothing behind the Patriots' rebuttal statements. It's still unbelievable to me that the Wells report took that long to compile and had such shaky arguments in the end.

The Wells report wasn't shaky at all. It had clear cut proof that Tom Brady is a liar and was more than aware of the deflating taking place. You have to dive down some pretty stupid 1984 doublespeak rabbit holes to think otherwise.

What Patriots fans are trying to cling to is the "reasonable" language in the report, saying it lacks certainty. And yet, NFL insiders have stated that word is used purposefully to mean he is guilty, without incurring any additional legal matters. The NFL doesn't need 100% proof of anything to punish liar Brady and the rest of the team. This isn't a court of law. They have enough evidence to see what everyone else can see when they take off their horse blinders, and that evidence paints a pretty clear picture.

TL;DR - Pats cheated, take the L, be content that you have another Super Bowl trophy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm gonna make a bold prediction here: While Kraft holds his L, Brady will go full retard. Goodell will uphold the suspension, and Brady will take it to court, disputing the process of the investigation itself. Brady's full text transcripts will become public record, which will show further evidence of cheating from Brady. To which, Goodell, being the reactionary fool that he is, will react to by increasing Brady's suspension to 6-8 games.

Well, we do know that the only thing Goodell considers when handing out punishments is the public perception, so that's not a very far fetched prediction.

TheContact

LOL! Pats fans keep losing.

And then your spineless owner went full bluster mode and acted all tough, only to chicken out like a sniveling turd. Guess we didn't want all those records coming out after all, huh? Mr. Kraft, you owe us all an apology.

TL;DR - Fuck the Patriots.

I think everyone is in agreement that deflated balls affect the game very little so it's not a matter of cheating, it's a matter of what appears to be lying about it

By the same token you have to say the same thing about the Well's report because that has a lot of holes in it too

The Wells report wasn't shaky at all. It had clear cut proof that Tom Brady is a liar and was more than aware of the deflating taking place. You have to dive down some pretty stupid 1984 doublespeak rabbit holes to think otherwise.

Sure, Brady likes it on the low end. There's still no evidence where he told the guy to go below the legal limit or mess with them after the refs checked them. I don't think anyone is arguing there's some deflating going on, especially if the NFL refs supposedly supplied them with balls that were well over the allowed upper limit. There's a pretty big difference between that and some nefarious plot.

Being uncooperative is a different story. It's not hard to see why they're getting docked for that, although the Wells investigation process doesn't seem very thorough and the Pats were probably pissed off at how long it's taking.

Honestly it just seems like no one in the league cared about the exact PSI measurements before the playoffs last year. The Patriots probably did some kind of deflating of the balls, but I just think it'd be pretty funny if we got into next year and the readings in the Wells report don't seem that out of the ordinary. Then we went through 4 months of this for nothing.

hom3land

What Patriots fans are trying to cling to is the "reasonable" language in the report, saying it lacks certainty. And yet, NFL insiders have stated that word is used purposefully to mean he is guilty, without incurring any additional legal matters. The NFL doesn't need 100% proof of anything to punish liar Brady and the rest of the team. This isn't a court of law. They have enough evidence to see what everyone else can see when they take off their horse blinders, and that evidence paints a pretty clear picture.

TL;DR - Pats cheated, take the L, be content that you have another Super Bowl trophy.

I'm going to use Wells logic. You think you might know what your talking about... But it's more likely than not you have no idea what your talking sbout.

This whole fiasco is insane. If the NFL was just somewhat competent this would be nothing. First there is the leak that most of the balls were 2 psi under.. Sounds horrible, people go crazy.. Nfl knows that this isn't true... But doesn't say anything. Spends 5 million and several weeks on a report that's main gotchya moment is a text from May that calls himself the deflator.. The reports science is wrong and they tell the ref. He's wrong and it's obvious he used another gauge which so happens to record at different level and makes the Patriots look bad.

They release the report and instead of having their shit together... They wait for public opinion to issue judgement.

Then they suspend Brady 4 for not cooperating and that he must've known... Brett favre onlu got fined 50k for refusing to turn over his phone during his dick pic scandal. Why the jump?

Just recently the conversation from taking heads has been.. Why did the pats suspend the employee... They must know their guilty.. Turns out the NFL requested it. Why didn't the NFL say this days earlier?

Come out with a bs report and penalize us woth make believe evidence. Fine. But at least be competent about it.

I'm going to use Wells logic. You think you might know what your talking about... But it's more likely than not you have no idea what your talking sbout.

You just described your entire post. Funny how two can play that dismissive game.

Brady lied. The team knew. When push came to shove, Kraft folded like a deck of cards. Case closed.

You just described your entire post. Funny how two can play that dismissive game.

Well, by this logic, you could very well say the same thing about the Wells Report, that thing that you're hanging your coat of righteousness on.

So, well, congratulations, you just undermined the Wells Report.

Well, by this logic, you could very well say the same thing about the Wells Report, that thing that you're hanging your coat of righteousness on.

So, well, congratulations, you just undermined the Wells Report.

Oh, the Wells Report that showed Tom Brady did have frequent contact with the individuals he claimed to not know? The one that showed team employees discussing deflating footballs? That report?

Stop reading Patriots propaganda websites. Keep embracing your persecution complex, Pats fans! Tell me how your coach is so good you could win the Super Bowl with 22 construction workers. Tell me how we're all out to get you!

Oh, the Wells Report that showed Tom Brady did have frequent contact with the individuals he claimed to not know? The one that showed team employees discussing deflating footballs? That report?

Stop reading Patriots propaganda websites. Keep embracing your persecution complex, Pats fans! Tell me how your coach is so good you could win the Super Bowl with 22 construction workers. Tell me how we're all out to get you!

I suppose the education system isn't as good where you live as it is in Massachusetts. Sorry that you can't read or comprehend. Kahn Academy may have some good resources if your locality is cash strapped or underfunded.

What I said was that you just undermined the Wells Report, yes that Wells report you referenced in the first paragraph. That I was talking about that Wells Report, not some other Wells Report, seemed pretty clear to me. I suppose I should make my point more clearly, Why do you wish to undermine the findings of the Wells Report?

So apparently their was no back-door deal to reduce Brady's suspension:

https://twitter.com/GregABedard/status/600720259126026240

Time will tell whether is is fact or fiction.

That checks out, though. Kraft has never admitted to any wrongdoing, so he can save face with the fan base. At the same time, he was never going to fight this since he would just be digging a deeper hole for his organization.

The whole statement today was a PR department dream. "The league is bigger than just one team, Kumbaya, we aren't guilty but I'll stop arguing and be the bigger man, Bob's your uncle." In non-PR speak, that translates to: "We're guilty and will take our L."

I suppose the education system isn't as good where you live as it is in Massachusetts. Sorry that you can't read or comprehend. Kahn Academy may have some good resources if your locality is cash strapped or underfunded.

What I said was that you just undermined the Wells Report, yes that Wells report you referenced in the first paragraph. That I was talking about that Wells Report, not some other Wells Report, seemed pretty clear to me. I suppose I should make my point more clearly, Why do you wish to undermine the findings of the Wells Report?

I see. So you saying something that is factually incorrect is somehow more valid because you said it?

But I will give you this: your post managed to embody the Masshole attitude perfectly. Dripping in condescension, self-delusional, and even linking an educational resource for my "cash strapped" home state! That is impressive. I couldn't have made my case any stronger if I tried.

I'll keep pulling up on my pauper bootstraps and hope to attain the staggering heights of MA education. I'll work extra hard to get accepted into your premier University, so I can pahk my cah in Hahvahd yahd.

Quotient

Have you read the Well's report and/or the Patriots rebuttal (and i'm not talking about the executive summary or news articles).

Have you read the Well's report and/or the Patriots rebuttal (and i'm not talking about the executive summary or news articles).

I read about ten pages of the Wells Report, yes. Did you read the entire thing? Does selectively reading the important parts detract from one's understanding of the findings?

I couldn't make it further than the second paragraph of the Patriots' rebuttal. It was an insult to common sense and logic.

If there's any justice the suspension will be completely lifted. Anything less is a farce.

Well Kraft and Goodell best of friends i wouldn't be shock Brady isn't suspended at all, still think Kraft made a deal to get it reduced to 1 game, this is why he's dropping his appeal..just my little conspiracy theory..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom