• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady suspended for 4 games; Patriots lose first-round draft pick; fined $1 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Goddell won't win any of this in the long term. If he went at the Patriots with minor fines and then changed the rules this would have went away.

Yet, once again.. he makes himself the story with a ridiculous penalty.

I hope the Patriots and Brady roast him. This whole debate over slightly under pressured balls is so pointless.

I know it would never happen, but I would love to see the NFL publish pre- and post-game inflation numbers for the game balls in the upcoming season. It seems like these last few Patriots games are the only times where they really cared about them.

Apparent Adam Schefter was on Boston radio this morning and said that the NFL will probably change how they handle footballs during games next year, but even if they find that normal handling and temperatures could reduce PSI below the allowed limit without tampering, it probably won't change anything regarding that Pats' penalty.

That's both amusing and absurd.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...issued/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

EDIT: Plus, the NFL has paid Wells over $45 million for this + the Dolphins investigation? Damnnnn...

chadskin

Apparent Adam Schefter was on Boston radio this morning and said that the NFL will probably change how they handle footballs during games next year, but even if they find that normal handling and temperatures could reduce PSI below the allowed limit without tampering, it probably won't change anything regarding that Pats' penalty.

That's both amusing and absurd.

Why? If the Colts had inflated their balls to 12.5 psi instead of 13.0 psi which they'd be allowed to, all their balls would've been below the 12.5 psi limit after the first half as well.

That's not the point. Again: Pats inflate all balls to 12.5 psi, hand them over to referee Walt Anderson who checked their psi levels and okay'd them, then McNally took them to a bathroom to deflate all the Pats balls BELOW the 12.5 psi limit BEFORE the start of the game. Jesus...

Quotient

EDIT: Plus, the NFL has paid Wells over $45 million for this + the Dolphins investigation? Damnnnn...

FORTY-FIVE MILLION!!!! That is insane!

I'm sure that Paul Wiess law office is loving the NFL*

*For those that may not have known that the law office that produced the Well's report defended the NFL in the concussion case a few years ago. Brad Karp, listed as one of the investigators, was the primary counsel for the NFL.

chadskin

Patriots Derangement Syndrome
Finally, the entire argument boils down to: You hate us cause you ain’t us.

No Pats Nation, I’m sorry. I do not hate you because I ain’t you. I just prefer living in a world where the normal canons of observation and inference still abide. However, I do hate you. And here is why.

In an age of nuclear umbrellas, the majority of men do not fight wars. In the age of deindustrialization (and off-shoring, and soon enough, advanced robotics), American men, at least, do less and less heavy lifting. As brawn phases out of everyday life, it becomes ritualized, vicarious. Of course football has its celebrated chess-like aspects, but the game’s primal appeal is in the physical domination of some men by some other men.

In recent years, watching NFL games has gone from being a thinking person’s harmless diversion to a kind of embarrassment, and that embarrassment is only getting worse. The game is brutal, possibly lethal, to combatants. However, as this fact becomes clearer, the sport only becomes more popular. Where is the breaking point, separating a relatively anodyne bloodlust from a total lack of self-respect?

Who knows, but here is one theory: As brawn has exited everyday life, it’s been replaced by a new, and to my mind, sinister form of machismo. You could say the archetypal figures in this New Economy of machismo are: The crybaby mogul, who throws a fit whenever he doesn’t get his way (and sometimes when he does); the upper management guru who is hailed as a genius though he is simply a cunning rule-breaker; the superstar whose smirk is in proportion only to how dependent his performance is on the machinations of the mogul and the guru. Over all this presides the figurehead droning on about “integrity.”

Beautiful.

TheContact

Pats deserve a fine for not cooperating, but if I was Brady I wouldn't hand over my personal cell phone even if I was 100% innocent and it would exonerate me. There's a lot of personal stuff on cell phones that Wells has no business being a part of. This whole thing is BS and will probably get settled out of court. Brady will get a 1 game suspension and the draft picks will be overturned. This whole thing is a joke

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Why? If the Colts had inflated their balls to 12.5 psi instead of 13.0 psi which they'd be allowed to, all their balls would've been below the 12.5 psi limit after the first half as well.

That's not the point. Again: Pats inflate all balls to 12.5 psi, hand them over to referee Walt Anderson who checked their psi levels and okay'd them, then McNally took them to a bathroom to deflate all the Pats balls BELOW the 12.5 psi limit BEFORE the start of the game. Jesus...

If he deflated them before the game then the ball PSI at halftime would have been even lower. Halftime ball PSI fits with what conditions could have done to the balls.

chadskin

If he deflated them before the game then the ball PSI at halftime would have been even lower. Halftime ball PSI fits with what conditions could have done to the balls.

It was lower, both lower than the Colts balls and lower than the scientific experiments Exponent did for the Wells report would have allowed the balls to be. It did not "fit with what conditions could have done to the balls".

Quotient

It was lower, both lower than the Colts balls and lower than the scientific experiments Exponent did for the Wells report would have allowed the balls to be. It did not "fit with what conditions could have done to the balls".

I don't know how much trust you can put into exponents experiment, since they have been called out numerous time for faulty experiments.

But the tests described by Exponent did not appear to duplicate the sophisticated methods that automotive engineers say are needed to ensure that electromagnetic interference does not cause failure of the hardware or software of engine controls. Indeed, Exponent did not say it placed any Toyota vehicle in a test chamber that automakers routinely use to bombard cars with high-powered electromagnetic signals known to disrupt automotive electronics.

Cindy Sage, an environmental consultant in Santa Barbara who specializes in electromagnetic interference, said that much more extensive testing than described in the report would be necessary to find a potential problem.

Sage, who has faced off against Exponent witnesses on safety issues in the past, said Toyota's hiring of Exponent was telling.

"The first thing you know is that when Exponent is brought in to help a company, that company is in big trouble," she said.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Other experiments have shown conditions do explain the difference and given those videos are all over youtube I'm more inclined to believe the NFL test missed something.

Quotient

The Patriots are the victims of a witch hunt: To believe this, you have to believe the sport’s commissioner, Roger Goodell is intent on singling out the franchise, painting it in the worst possible light and, while rallying the media and the public to his side, excessively punishing it simply for being smarter, better coached, and more disciplined.

The question you should be asking is why did the NFL not clearly rebuke the "11 of 12 patriots footballs were 2 psi under the lower limit" leak a few days after the AFCCG. It was clearly wrong, the NFL knew it as it had the numbers. They let that leak just run rampant and completely sway public perception that the Patriots had done wrong. After that the league wouldn't give the Patriots the correct values until march and even then forbid the Patriots from publishing it.

You can hate the Patriots, but you have to admit it, the way the league handled the whole affair is concerning, and should be for all teams.

ObiDin

This thread is hilarious.

You know what's lost in all this is that the Patriots are a damn good football team even when not breaking obscure NFL rules.

werks

Banned
Other experiments have shown conditions do explain the difference and given those videos are all over youtube I'm more inclined to believe the NFL test missed something.
You are inclined to believe that McNally stole the balls and brought them into the bathroom for no reason. Lol.

chadskin

I don't know how much trust you can put into exponents experiment, since they have been called out numerous time for faulty experiments.
They've been criticized for different legal affairs by opposing parties, yes. That has very little to nothing to do with the scientific experiments they did for the Wells report.

Ah, yes, YouTube. Sure. I also get all my gaming news from MisterXmedia.

Quotient

They've been criticized for different legal affairs by opposing parties, yes. That has very little to nothing to do with the scientific experiments they did for the Wells report.

They have been questioned for faulty and incomplete, experiments. Exponent makes the majority of their money from litigation.

Tawpgun

Didn't read Wells report science stuff, just their previous record with that Exponent company.

However the wells report rebuttal mentions how the Pats balls were on the field more than the colts balls. They claimed colts balls were kept in a trash bag on field (is this true?) and that because the pats balls were on the field more, they were under more stress as they get crushed/squeezed by players either holding them to prevent fumbles or getting tackled.

Could account for the extra deflation.

If the Wells report science conditions didn't reflect this well...

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
This story just needs to end already.

Accept the penalties and move on, reading reports that Goodell and Kraft hugged recently.

You kidding me? Why the fuck is that news? This is ridiculous, the NFL is becoming a laughing stock, granted one that I will still watch avidly but still it is embarrassing.

Word is Kraft is accepting punishment & folding up their argument against the NFL. Still breaking.

Would really love to be a fly and listen to Goddel & Kraft's conversation over the last 2 days to see how Goddel got him to change his mind.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They accepted the punishment "for the good of the game," aka "our rebuttal was a joke and we've got nothing."

"the good of the game" is the NFL making it clear that if you might have done some wrong it's worth twice the financial penalty as intentionally seeking to injure players?

Word is Kraft is accepting punishment & folding up their argument against the NFL. Still breaking.

Would really love to be a fly and listen to Goddel & Kraft's conversation over the last 2 days to see how Goddel got him to change his mind.

"I'll hear his appeal and drop the 4-game suspension if you back down on the draft picks and fine."

I wonder if it really is a matter of Kraft taking the hit so Brady will get out of his suspension. That seems short sighted as losing the picks and money is worse in the long term than Brady getting suspended a couple games.

Draxal

I wonder if it really is a matter of Kraft taking the hit so Brady will get out of his suspension. That seems short sighted as losing the picks and money is worse in the long term than Brady getting suspended a couple games.

Nah, Tom Brady had a much much better chance of getting out of the suspension than Kraft of getting the picks back. Brady could have brought the NFL to court, Kraft could but that would have backfired so hard on him.

"the good of the game" is the NFL making it clear that if you might have done some wrong it's worth twice the financial penalty as intentionally seeking to injure players?

It's a cumulative punishment for a team that's been caught cheating in the past.

Also, "why punish us when everyone else is even worse" is a pathetic defense.

Nah, Tom Brady had a much much better chance of getting out of the suspension than Kraft of getting the picks back. Brady could have brought the NFL to court, Kraft could but that would have backfired so hard on him.

There's no way Brady would want to take the NFL to court, because his phone could be taken into evidence. Those texts he fought so hard to hide would come to light and expose what a weasel he really is.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

At best I think the fine would have been lowered.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Kraft took the league to court for his punishment, doesn't that invalidate some portion of the owner's agreement with the league? The Players are allowed to do that under the CBA, but not the owners or organizations.

It's a cumulative punishment for a team that's been caught cheating in the past.

Also, "why punish us when everyone else is even worse" is a pathetic defense.

While I completely agree that's a very stupid argument, the "cumulative punishment for a team that has already been punished for something unrelated to this in the past" is also not something that holds up. That's a fan's argument, not one that could hold up with the least bit of scrutiny.

MechDX

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Kraft took the league to court for his punishment, doesn't that invalidate some portion of the owner's agreement with the league? The Players are allowed to do that under the CBA, but not the owners or organizations.

Al Davis took the league to court and nothing happened other than him winning.

Draxal

Al Davis took the league to court and nothing happened other than him winning.

Well he took them to court multiple times (I think at least four or five times) and at least lost one of them (the suit when he moved Oakland back to Oakland).

He was never one of the good old boys, but Kraft is; and Kraft will lose that if he takes the NFL to court. The only wild card owner the NFL has now is Snyder (Jones is now a good old boy after being a mav in the day), and even he didn't take the NFL to court.

MechDX

o1MAqk3.jpg

oops. Tree fell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom