• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Brady beats NFL in 'Deflategate' court case, league's 4-game suspension nullified

Status
Not open for further replies.
tom-brady-435.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Rich, good looking white male gets off when he's clearly guilty? Put SHOCKING NEWS in the thread title.

KHarvey16

Nope. This whole thing is about whether or not the balls were intentionally deflated to begin with. You cant look at an underinflated ball and know it was intentially deflated, just like you cant simply look at a dead person and know they weren intentially killed.

The patriots suspiscious behavior (in this case, their unbelievable explanatio) is quite relevant. Again, it proves nothing, but it shouldnt be looked at as nothing.

I've told you this entire time that the lack of evidence a ball was intentionally deflated was equivalent to no body. They measured the footballs, you know? Those measurements do not indicate intentional deflation and in fact indicate no deflation beyond what was the result of natural processes. If there exists no physical evidence a ball was intentionally deflated, and there does not, it's the same as not having any body or evidence of a person missing when discussing if someone committed murder.

You're trying to make this work out in a way that still allows the "deflator" text to be relevant and I'm sorry, but logically it just isn't. Without any reason to believe there existed deflated footballs they are entirely meaningless.

The patriots suspiscious behavior (in this case, their unbelievable explanatio) is quite relevant. Again, it proves nothing, but it shouldnt be looked at as nothing.

You never responded to my earlier post about this.

"Deflate and give somebody that jkt"

I'm asking you what you think this text means. Don't let me influence you. Just tell me what you personally think it means.

i think it doesnt matter because it's a stupid ass rule that they get to manage their own footballs in the first place. If the league wanted to truly protect the integrity of the game then they would manage that shit.

This whole thing has been a farce and that's coming from someone who suffers the dolphins on occasion.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Rich, good looking white male gets off when he's clearly guilty? Put SHOCKING NEWS in the thread title.

This is an obnoxious argument, goodell has been hammered in court by Tom Brady, the saints, ray rice, Greg hardy, and Adrian Peterson.

Florist

Neo Member
You never responded to my earlier post about this.

"Deflate and give somebody that jkt"

I'm asking you what you think this text means. Don't let me influence you. Just tell me what you personally think it means.

Sry missed your post. I think it means deflate the balls and give someone that jacket lol your jacket explanation could make sense, except the patriots explained this by saying hes trying to lose weight. Not that his puffy jacket makes him look fat so they called him the deflator. So if you think it was about the jacket, then you must also think the pats gave a bs explantion.

I'm assuming that the jail time comments were jokes. And the "lol rich white man gets off when he's clearly guilty" was written by a person without a brain.

Troy

Banned
I'm assuming that the jail time comments were jokes. And the "lol rich white man gets off when he's clearly guilty" was written by a person without a brain.
Considering that the last five judgements Goodell has handed down were all overturned and four of those cases involved black players, I'd say yeah the white privilege argument is off the mark slightly.

Bessy67

On the one hand I was loving that Tom Brady was suspended for basically nothing, but on the other I guess it's good that Goodell got slapped down. It'll be fun to see how far he'll go in the appeal process now.

iamblades

NFL:

'how does i ideal gas law? i are not physician.'

Maybe before trying to pin super harsh punishments on someone, you should actually have evidence that something happened, much less evidence that the person you are accusing had anything to do with it.

Florist

Neo Member
I've told you this entire time that the lack of evidence a ball was intentionally deflated was equivalent to no body. They measured the footballs, you know? Those measurements do not indicate intentional deflation and in fact indicate no deflation beyond what was the result of natural processes. If there exists no physical evidence a ball was intentionally deflated, and there does not, it's the same as not having any body or evidence of a person missing when discussing if someone committed murder.

You're trying to make this work out in a way that still allows the "deflator" text to be relevant and I'm sorry, but logically it just isn't. Without any reason to believe there existed deflated footballs they are entirely meaningless.

So no balls were deflated whether by natural causes or tampering?

Edit: also im not trying to make anything work out ha just asking why the pats would guve such a bogus explanation for something that you feel they didnt need to explain

This stupid joke is polluting twitter. Roger goodell is a rich white guy who lost.

Considering that the last five judgements Goodell has handed down were all overturned and four of those cases involved black players, I'd say yeah the white privilege argument is off the mark slightly.

Beyond this, the league minimum salary in the NFL is FOUR HUNDRED THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND dollars a year AND your represented by the player's union in these disputes.

Caja 117

Will it affect ratings and attendance though?

Granted, it sends a good message that the suspension was lifted. The league was arguing for the right to fundamental unfairness, and success in that argument would have sent a terrible message about the world and the legal system particularly.

But it still sends a bad message that Goodell has his job. He was caught lying, caught using faked reports, and used these things to smear another person, something which even this decision will not erase in the eyes of many. Yet he is still commissioner of the league.

Is not as if Godell/NFL has done this before....

Troy

Banned
No one loves Brady more right now than the Redskins and ESPN. No one is talking about their blowjob story today.

Dr.Acula

Banned
How many cases does Goodell have to lose before he's ousted? As long as he continues to make the owners boatloads of cash, my guess is he'll be allowed to continue screwing up everything else.

Does anyone really feel that the NFL wouldn't make boatloads of money if the commish were a sack of potatoes?

I think they keep Goodell around because he seems incompetent enough that the media and fans can use him as the punching bag and not get distracted by how shitty all the owners are. They bring in a sharp tack like Adam Silver and suddenly there aren't a tonne of little bullshit problems and the public starts looking more closely at the league's real problems with concussions and drug use.

Troy

Banned
Does anyone really feel that the NFL wouldn't make boatloads of money if the commish were a sack of potatoes?

I think they keep Goodell around because he seems incompetent enough that the media and fans can use him as the punching bag and not get distracted by how shitty all the owners are. They bring in a sharp tack like Adam Silver and suddenly there aren't a tonne of little bullshit problems and the public starts looking more closely at the league's real problems with concussions and drug use.

You're right, they could have both respect and money if they wanted to. For some reason, they have no interest in the public's respect.

KHarvey16

So no balls were deflated whether by natural causes or tampering?

Balls were deflated, and all of the deflation can be accounted for with natural processes. Since this means simple deflation is not evidence of intentional deflation, and there are obviously no rules against naturally occurring deflation, there exists no evidence of, and no one is in possession of, illegally (intentionally) deflated footballs.

Therefore no basis to conclude a rule was even broken in the first place.

Snaku

Banned
Why even have rules, why bother punishing players? They'll just fucking litigate until they get their way. Whatever, just do fucking whatever.

Why even have rules, why bother punishing players? They'll just fucking litigate until they get their way. Whatever, just do fucking whatever.

Wouldn't it be better to have actual rules with proper punishments instead of having Goodell just decide to do whatever the fuck he wants whenever something happens?

Florist

Neo Member
Balls were deflated, and all of the deflation can be accounted for with natural processes. Since this means simple deflation is not evidence of intentional deflation, and there are obviously no rules against naturally occurring deflation, there exists no evidence of, and no one is in possession of, illegally (intentionally) deflated footballs.

Therefore no basis to conclude a rule was even broken in the first place.

So because balls can lose air due to natural causes, this means they coudlnt have been intentially deflated? If the balls were so easily proven to be naturally deflated, why was deflate gate not over in a week.

Were going to have to agree to disagree on this one i think. I cant get by the pats suspiscious behavior (texts, laughable response to the wells report). You clearly can, which youre entitled to.

I stick to my guns on the body analogy though. The body = a underinflated ball

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
He will be too good doing anything else, it would just be unfair to other teams.

Under Brady's supervision, the half-time cheerleader routine would be on point. He could take a pom-pom snap from one of the girls and all contractual obligations would be fulfilled!

What happens if the NFL does it's thing and comes better prepared in an appeal and win just as the pats prepare for post season play.

Miggytronz

In the end this was all about how Goodell was out of his power to give Tom Brady a suspension in the first place. It was all a sham. Goodell now looks like an idiot. Good. Dude needed a reality check.

Caja 117

Under Brady's supervision, the half-time cheerleader routine would be on point. He could take a pom-pom snap from one of the girls and all contractual obligations would be fulfilled!

And he would be glorious on it, probably win the Cheerleader SB! I mean, you don't have anything against Male cheerleaders, right?

ONTOPIC:
I dont think that any sort of preparation can help NFL appeal case at all

Sry missed your post. I think it means deflate the balls and give someone that jacket lol

That text message was sent long after the game started, and it was sent to Jastremski (not the person accused of deflating balls).

It seems like "deflate" was a weight loss joke because of Jastremski's puffy coat. Can't be sure, but it makes no sense for it to refer to cheating at that point in the game, and being sent to Jastremski (instead of McNally).

you jacket explanation could make sense, except the patriots explained this by saying hes trying to lose weight. Not that his puffy jacket makes him look fat so they called him the deflator. So if you think it was about the jacket, then you must also think the pats gave a bs explanation...

This is a different text.

The point is that we have actual texts from them using "deflate" to reference things other than cheating. It is likely we are in possession of texts where they use it for weight loss. We also have evidence that the balls were not deflated. So why would you assume that the word "deflator" must mean "deflating balls below the league minimum"?

That's a huge, unwarranted assumption, that flies in the face of both their other texts and the physical evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom