• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren "I'm not a gaming journalist lol. Also, lighten up."

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Fss5u4kXwAEj4He

Three

I mean it was just a damn joke but then again coming from him deep down it's probably trolling (yes another "alpha" that was probably "playable" on PC without a PS release).

Got to love Gaz coming in with the stupidity too. That "soft ass bitch" called Colin bias for wearing a PS tshirt while having dumbass videos like this

Got to stick with the pack like always.

FrankWza

Is it any different than corporations shilling their own stuff?

PS Blog just announced the 2023 award winners and almost every aawrd was given to Spiderman 2 or Insomniac. SM2 blew away Baldurs Gate 3 and Larian.
He's an MS employee? Where does it say that and how would you know he does? I took a skim of his twitter, Verge bio and Linked in and it says nothing about being an MS employee.
You were here defending him by equating what he's doing as an independent editor to PS Blog. So, I said IF he is a Microsoft employee he should disclose it. But according to you this stuff happens all the time and you thought he was a shill and made this ridiculous comparison

Who cares whether a social media guy is a shill or not. People should already know in 2023 that anyone with a YT or Twitter account can be shilling. My company hires bloggers with YT profiles to shill our products. $5000 + as much free products and graphic assets they need from the marketing department.

He didn’t have to say so, it was already obvious. He’s far from the only one. They are paid extensions of publisher PR.

It would not do the likes of him any harm to have a little integrity and humility to realise the people they talk down to, the consumer, if they are absent he wouldn’t have this sort “job” in the first place.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Man I must be slow...I don't understand the outrage here.

Tom told a joke and got banned...and then says he's not a gaming journalist...but he works for the Verge...as a senior editor...like...huh!?

Can somebody help me to understand why people are so mad at this guy?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Tom told a joke and got banned...and then says he's not a gaming journalist...but he works for the Verge...as a senior editor...like...huh!?

Because PS people knew he was a paid shill

Because Xbox people thought his word was gospel

Because people like me and many others around here...

Jim Carrey Whatever GIF

jm89

I don't think anyone on here is mad about his joke, or really cares that he got banned for it.

Just discussions on his "i'm not a gaming journalist" comment

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So...he's paid by Xbox? Is this kinda like the same thing where Xbox folks think IGN is paid by Playstation or is there actual evidence of this?
Do I have evidence he is one of the media people on Xbox payroll?

Nope

Do I need to have that evidence judging by his Tweets?

Fuck no

Is IGN paid by Playstation?

I have no idea

Did I share receipts here with Mod of War Mod of War of the at the time VP of Xbox admit to giving "an army of people consoles, game pass, storage disks, etc" "to influence positive affinity"

christoph waltz nod GIF

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Do I have evidence he is one of the media people on Xbox payroll?

Nope

Do I need to have that evidence judging by his Tweets?

Fuck no

Is IGN paid by Playstation?

I have no idea

Did I share receipts here with Mod of War Mod of War of the at the time VP of Xbox admit to giving "an army of people consoles, game pass, storage disks, etc"

christoph waltz nod GIF
I remember when Microsoft did that. Is that what they mean by "paid shill"? Ok I see him as just biased...not necessarily paid. I see IGN as biased...not necessarily paid. I think it's all about clickbait on being on the knife's edge of controversy. Farming engagement with their "content".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I remember when Microsoft did that. Is that what they mean by "paid shill"? Ok I see him as just biased...not necessarily paid. I see IGN as biased...not necessarily paid. I think it's all about clickbait on being on the knife's edge of controversy. Farming engagement with their "content".
The guy sure goes hard in the paint like his grift depends on it.

graywolf323

and how exactly is IGN biased? 🤨 their two most notorious are Destin & Ryan who are on the same side as Tom here

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

and how exactly is IGN biased? their two most notorious are Destin & Ryan who are on the same side as Tom here 🤨
We all bring our own bias, there is nothing nefarious going on here. These two are self admitted long time Xbox fans that don't pretend to be anything other than that. Ign also has many self proclaimed long time Sony fans. There largest podcast "Game Scoop" leans Sony (depending on guest spots) and there is nothing wrong with that.

This necessarily isn't directed specifically at your comment. I just see the IGN biased claim often, and as a consumer of a few of their podcasts (Unlocked, Beyond, Gamescoop) I don't believe they are. More often than you would think, the cast of gamescoop gets Xbox's feature sets wrong, policies wrong, etc, as they don't use the console often outside of work, nothing wrong with that, just human nature.

Top Bottom